The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Press Conference – McClaren Will Take No Risks With Top Player

2:49 pm, Friday, March 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Steve McClaren has just given his press conference for what seems a must-win game tomorrow against AFC Bournemouth at home – and he has said the club are assessing Andros Townsend’s hamstring injury, but that he will not risk him if he is not 100% fit for tomorrow’s game.

And as expected both Fabricio Coloccini and Chancel Mbemba will play no part tomorrow and are still recovering from their injuries.

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – has just given his press conference

This is some of what Steve McClaren has said this afternoon:

“We’ve lost one in our last six games at home, we’ve given the  crowd something to cheer about and we need to do that again.

“I admire what Eddie Howe has done there. They always had a great chance of staying up. This is a very difficult game for us.

“We’re assessing the injury situation and we’re trying to address it – why we keep getting more and more.”

“We are assessing Andros Townsend and don’t want to risk him.” “We don’t want anything to destabilize what we are trying to achieve between now and the end of the season.”

“My concentration and focus is purely on Bournemouth and winning that game tomorrow.”  “It is a results business – I know that. We need to stay in this league”

“I don’t read the press. My only focus is Bournemouth.”

We cannot imagine Steve McClaren keeping his job if Bournemouth beat us tomorrow, but we are hoping for the win and a good performance too.

Newcastle play well at home and we are due some good performances from the likes of Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Shelvey and there’s a decent chance the lads can deliver a win.

We were impressed with young Jamaal Lascelles on Wednesday night at Stoke – and we need for Taylor and Lascelles to be strong at the back tomorrow.

Half of our fans think we will lose this game tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Bournemouth?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 EllaGuru // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM

“It’s a results business!” Exactly Steve, exactly

• 2 jimiley // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM

You seem to contradict yourself all the time.
    You write we will be relegated if MCclaren stays and then you hope for a win, meaning more McClaren. When do you want shot of him? The next defeat might come after half a dozen draws.??????? far too late to get rid.

• 3 jimiley // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM

That picture of Steve at the press conference… he looks like a rabbit staring into the headlights. His head has gone.

• 4 brklyngeordie // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Please please please if he has any brain he would not start Sissy the man is the cancer my team for tomorrow formation would be a 4-3-1-2 Same back line as last game mid Shelvey Colback Saivet Gini the 1 in front of them With Perez and Doumbia in front of them anyone agree?

• 5 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM

very surprised if shelvey and townsend were carr’s choices, so as well as a lot of backing and a seat on the board, SM seemingly has input into signings as well now.

charnley, carr and SM are all complicit in the decline of a great institution, but giving carte blanche to a bunch of inadequates and dinosaurs still makes Ash massively culpable.

• 6 sparky55 // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM

With a record like his no wonder he doesn’t read the press

Fcuking t0sser

• 7 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM

i think it will just lift everone if sm goes, even if cathro just ” caretakes” for now.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM

it amazes me how many times failing managers say ” i don’t read the press”. if they did they might get some kind of perspective and act accordingly.

• 9 faustino10 // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:46 PM

I haven’t made a comment in a long while but after the match against Stoke I feel I have to vent a bit/ a lot. Someone commented a few days back about Graeme Souness’ ultimate days in charge of Newcastle and how when he felt he had no answers started to deliberately fielded weak, poor sides in order to ensure he got the sack. The person who made that comment said smells like the same tactic being used at the moment by McClaren. That comment came before the Stoke match but after seeing the line up I felt it was spot on. People say that McClaren is clueless and maybe he is to a large extent but there is NO WAY a professional football manager at any level could honestly think (after 18 days without the pressure of a game ) that the big inspirational tactical change to win such a vital game was to bring on Goufran. That to me had savotage written all over it. He might as well have walked out with a bullseye on his chest and SACK ME PLEASE!!! painted on his forehead. I have been reading most comments since and every article spots the inclusion of Goufran and the idea of introduction of Riviere as ridiculously stupid decisions but for me they were a clear sign of a manager wanting out. Similar to Rudd Gullet dropping Shearer against Sunderland. Sack me please!!! At least back then the chairman, as bad as he was had the stones to do it. My concern is that Charnley is currently hiding under his desk with the phone off the hook hoping this storm will pass instead of preparing a back up plan.

Ok, so Townsend was injured which wasn’t expected. Aarons must have been licking his lips at that news. How much of a kick in the teeth for your confidence does that have to be to young Aarons and even Perez to see Gouffran get the call ahead of them. Ok, maybe McC felt they weren’t reliable defensively. Didn’t we buy a fast strong confident fella how loves a tackle just a few weeks ago called Saivet who, granted was bought as a defensive midfielder, but before last season operated for his entire career on the left wing and at a young age was seen by many as the new F’ ing Thierry Henry? How he didn’t even get considered shows the lack of planning. If McC doesn’t see him as a DM why weren’t the 18 days used to try him in training in LW. In my view our biggest weakness though is Dummit at left back. Not having a go at the lad as he gives his all. He is just not a left back, he is a centre back. He looks to me like his confidence is shock and it is the managers job to realise that and withdraw him to let him regain belief again. As it is he is just kicking the ball away or back to Elliot regardless of who is around. He needs a break from the first team right away. This lack of confidence in a relegation battle will quickly filter into the rest of the team. This brings me back again to Saivet. Why is he not being considered as a LB. At least until Haidara is back. I know he was poor against Everton but in general I have been impressed by his energy, and his tackling. Playing the same beaten looking characters weekin weekout and not trying something new means to me that McClaren wants this to be over (but wants the money that goes with it). Hopefully Charnley gets out from under his desk soon to work on making that happen fast.

Someone else joked that we should get Mourinho on the phone and offer him a million a game with bonus’ if he keeps us up. At first I thought that was a good joke but with the Massive money coming with the TV deals that isn’t the most ridiculous plan I have heard (not that I have heard any others). I fear that the teams that are not in the premier league next season will honestly be left behind and might never catch up. Everything must be done to ensure we are still in the league. Starting by granting McClaren his wish and letting him go, by playing new signings who were brought in to save us and most obvious of all…………PLAY 2 out and out STRIKERS. OBVIOUS. Hopefully The rein of McClown will be over by 6pm Saturday…….regardless of the result.

• 10 jimiley // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM

The north east is truly the Siberia of English footy. RIP.

• 11 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM

It’s toolate to rescue abeid and kemen (now starring for Lyon) but SM is now destroying Aarons and Perez too.

with shawlcross and bojan out, the last thing anyone could have expected was gouffran on the team sheet, with aarons, perez and doumbia twiddling their thumbs.

It is almost as if SM has mastered the pay off tactic, waits till derby eventually sack him, did a similar turn at forest and now you have to wonder if he is working his ticket here.

It’s not too late to get rid even if we don’t get another manager in. As I say Cathro can ”caretake” and may even be allowed to get his own ideas across and not be drowned out by SM’s ego and simpson’s ineptitude.

• 12 sparky55 // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Rotonda @11

He’s made such a fcuk up of this job, and the job before, and the job before that…you might just be right…he may never get a job in football again so maybe he’s playing the Jose card…sack me, pay me up and I’ll go.

Might not be as daft as it seems

• 13 sparky55 // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Faustino…just read yours and you’re saying the same…so credit where credits due 🙂

• 14 hibbitt // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Rotonda heights
    Rafa is free short term contract with big bonus what have we got to lose surely players would kick on for a manager of his quality

• 15 toon22 // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM

If SMC is playing the sack me and pay up my contract game i wouldnt play myself if i was the fat man.
    I would put him in charge of the kids and appoint a new manager.
    Why pay him off?
    If you have to pay him get him doing a job imho,if he dont leave then he truly is a total and utter %$^&er

• 16 goommy // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM

“It is a results business”. Your are done dude. People who said this is on a deadlist. Goodluck dear Mcclaren..

• 17 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM

This is mcclarens last job as a boss. nobody will take him now. He’s confirmed he was as useless as we all said he was when we hired him

• 18 Lindisfarne // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM

I don’t think it took 18 days to come up with playing Gouffran, more likely he was played due to the injury to Townsend. However, the much lorded by SMC, intense training camp yielded absolutely nothing new. Apparently there is no better selection, formation, tactic or game plan and to some extent the extra training was apparent. However so was the lack of any other ideas.

• 19 Lindisfarne // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:46 PM

I serious doubt Penfold has any thought of changing things despite the desperate position he has got the club in, any reports of sacking and replacements can be considered as nothing but speculation (that will later be proclaimed as ITK). That said I would love to see Benitez come in until the end of the season with Cathro as his assistant and potential successor next season.

• 20 Lindisfarne // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM

I would put Shtevie on gardening leave. But I doubt he could manage the potting shed or organise the spring bulb planting, as at this time of year quick decisions are required. He would also probably ruin the lawn by letting the main body grow too long and being to fastidious at the edges. Next season an Academy role would more likely be at his level if he did not walk away for pastures new.

• 21 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Being a bit paranoid, I was wondering if SM is picking teams to lose.

I reckon he sees the writing on the wall and has realised he can’t manage.

He’ll probably get a good pay-off if he is sacked and at this moment will be happy to get away from the job with money in his pocket. Probably wouldn’t get a good pay-off id he resigned.

• 22 damma99 // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Obviosly I want to see Newcastle win. On the other hand if it takes a defeat to get rid of McLaren I would take it.

• 23 croftus5678 // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:03 PM

stupid as it sounds i was pretty happy with saylor/lescalles partnership against stoke as i thought defence was are better part of that game !!!

doumbia must start imo as he looked a different class even in the very short time he was on and tbh i’d stick cisse on with him if he’s fit enough.

• 24 reilly // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM

• 25 croftus5678 // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM

@24 reilly

hey bud i’m having trouble with phoenix/valhalla and some of robocop.

what was you saying was a good wizard to use and do you recomend a light build for android box ?

• 26 Jib // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Good link that
    I don’t know how good Luke Edwards’ contacts are but the article has a ring of truth about it .
    It’s now looking that the early December good mini run against the bin-dippers and Spurs saved SM’s bacon.
    I still don’t think we’ll be relegated and once McClaren has the pre-season he wants and more influence on next Summers transfer window , it could be onward and upward next season.

• 27 MAUTITOON // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:30 PM

• 28 posada // Mar 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Exellent post by Faustino and I agree he is after the sack.

Only other explanation with some poor managers is they over think things until they can’t see the wood for the trees.

But it wasn’t just Goufran. What about his subs.

previous post: Newcastle Are In A Sorry State At All Levels