McClaren On Why We Lose So Many Away Games

Steve McClaren has explained in the Chronicle today how last Wednesday´s game at Stoke is a lot different than today´s game at home to Bournemouth,

But why is that the case?

Maybe if we play our away games trying to win them – like we do at home – we would have more success on the road?

steve mcclaren stoke

Steve McClaren at Stoke – yes – yet another away defeat

Steve McClaren was asked if he was under pressure and this was his response in the Chronicle:

“Of course you are, you are always under pressure. That’s what you get internally not externally, you are always wanting to win the next game anyway. We are no different.”

“It’s disappointing when you don’t. We hope to create a healthy tension and know the situation, then do something about it.”

“There’s been a lot said externally. We can only control what we can within the club. The players seem up for it and ready. We need to be.”

“It’s always a must win. From now on in we need to maintain our home performances and improve our away games and form.”

“We just have to make sure it is a good opportunity and a good chance, but Bournemouth are a good team and they will be difficult opponents.”

“I think a lot of patience and belief is needed. Bournemouth can frustrate.”

“People have spoken about the set-up of the team on Wednesday, but we just wanted to be solid and hard to beat.”

“I thought Yoan Gouffran came in and did the job on the left hand side to help Paul Dummett out in his first game back against Shaqiri.“

“I thought he did that well. Bournemouth is a different game, it’s at home and we have to be a lot more positive. In football,  winning and losing is a fine dividing line.”

“We did so well for 80 minutes plus and never looked like conceding. It looked like it would be a draw and it would have been a good draw for us.”

“Then we just lost our shape for a split second and gave Shaqiri the chance to score.”

“We fought for the last 10 minutes and really had Doumbia scored and that goes in we’d have deserved a point.”

“We’d have been quite buoyant but that’s the fine line between winning and losing.”

It´s a fine line yes, but we keep losing too many away games.

It seems like McClaren could even be making his own problems when he sets up the team so differently for away games – so we go into those games trying to defend and hang on and we very rarely attack the opposition away from home.

Maybe that´s why we have lost all our last seven games on the road?

Probably.

It´s all in the mind.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Bournemouth?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM

We lose away matches because SM is still thd boss. Bin the clown now.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM

If he hadn’t of deliberately set outnot to win then we might not have lost, Doumbia and Perez in the 65th minute would have changed the game completely. That is not hindsight, the game was crying out for it. The very sight of that ridiculous ancient Egyptian beard coming on must have absolutely deflated the players and completely nulified any chance of scoring.

• G

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Bloke is playing for the pay off, same as Souness did. I would sack him with no pay off, due to lack of competence.

• sing in the corner

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:25 AM

I hope to God the players are just trying to focus their minds on the job and can somehow block out all this media self promoting circus. It’s not helping anyone concerned with NUFC.
    I must be in a minority of one, reading the comments on this blog. I don’t think firing the HEAD COACH (not manager, remember) at this point is going to achieve survival. I don’t believe we will get a Harry Houdini wonder-Saint to take over tomorrow who will suddenly turn this around and start winning games out of thin air. You might – I don’t. Opinion.
    I hope the ground produces a thunderous noise of total support from 2.45 onwards today,pull this beleaguered bunch up by the laces and hoy them over the line. Cos that’s the job of fans. All this computer game inspired formations and armchair expert stuff is fine for a bit craic, but when all’s said and done its time to back the team you love, whatever happens.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:33 AM

sitc,
    Well I’m going up there to see us win but I’ll be perfectly honest and say I’d sacrifice a defeat to get rid of him and get a Houdini in for ten games. I hope your not referring to his ridiculous subs on Wednesday night as people being armchair experts.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Has McClaren admitted, even once, that he got anything wrong? I don’t think so. It’s been bad luck, injuries, referees and most recently the “frustrating” players. I know it’s not typical for managers to take it on the chin, but McClaren has bobbed and weaved more than Sugar Ray Leonard trying to deflect any blame from himself. What a sorry state we are in. Fighting a desperate relegation battle, but tens of thousands of supporters I’m sure half hoping we lose so we might see him sacked.
    Absolutely tragic.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:36 AM

The football Gods shine on the Inept One, after the game today there will be another nine days to work his magic and put out exactly the same side against Leicester. Another nine days of talking about an abstract consistency with little in terms of practical application. Another nine days of passing the blame onto impressionable and supposedly immature players. Another nine days of Shtevie attempting to cover his own back and the other Board members remaining silent whilst he completely ruins the Club. If every problem is an opportunity, I would like to see nine opportunities being taken.

• sing in the corner

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM

JfA
    I didn’t agree with his subs,no. I didn’t like the result,no. Although I didn’t see the game live on a stream I felt it seemed we stopped the tail spin defensively, were within a few minutes of getting a creditable point which if we were offered at the start of the game most would have grabbed without a second thought.
    You say you would accept defeat today re the Houdini coming in. But my point is I don’t believe we will get someone of huge quality in who can work an instant miracle from tomorrow afternoon. You say offer say Benitez x million to come in and save us. My contention is such folk aren’t desperate for money, or to plunge into a bag of crap like the situation we find ourselves in. What is is that makes you believe someone of that ilk will?
    HWTL today!!!

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM

No. it was a fine line between losing and drawing

• LGFUAD21

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Gouff helped dummet in his first game back with Shaquiri?

What a load of tosh. the wind helped dummet with Shaquiri.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Surely he’d been warned about his grinning yet couldn’t help himself when talking about Butland costing us the game. Ed keeps saying he’s a good man, he had a blatant open affair with a woman well above his punching weight before he was famous and holding out for compo after what he done to Derby makes him anything but a good person.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Sing in them corner

Could I ask how you didn’t agree with the subs yet didn’t watch the game?

Subs are meant to change the course of the game and therefore you can hardly judge the subs without seeing them in context no?

• hibbitt

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:52 AM

Rafa’s out there looking for a job even our player would look up to him ….short contract big bonus if we stay up the club have try something surely there not just going to watch us sink !!

• Ron Knee

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:53 AM

sing

Under the right manager we have a so-so, mid-table team. If McClaren cannot organise or motivate the players, what is the point in keeping him?

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:53 AM

sing, I think the overwhelming sentiment is that McClaren has lost the clubhouse, lost the plot, and is likely to lose us our PL status. Agreed we are unlikely to find a miracle worker, but there is just no reason to believe McClaren can turn this around. Let’s roll the dice and make our own luck, as a wise man once said.

• G

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Sing, if you had seen the match, you would want him gone too. The bloke has given up and wants the cash. I dont think we will get a Benitez either, ifhe goes it will be Cathro or Simpson. They couldnt be any worse.

• martoon

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM

SITC I agree with you I think it’s too late to change manager. I don’t think a manager like Benitez would help he’s not used to a relegation fight Harry maybe.

• sing in the corner

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:57 AM

l….21
    I didn’t agree with the subs based on how the radio Newcastle commentators described the way the game was developing only, and how I rate / compare Perez, Rivière et al, and how I believe they can influence situations, based on seeing them play.
    But I am happy to accept your inferred point ( or I wouldn’t have said several times I didn’t see the game live, of course)
    Ok?

• Ron Knee

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:58 AM

hibbitt

As I posted a bit earlier, McClaren was apparently approached to rescue us during Carver’s disastrous run. (There’s irony for you!)

Despite what they say in public, perhaps Charnley & co. are making discrete approaches to somebody now?

• Ron Knee

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:59 AM

* discreet

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Sitc,
    A vast majority of us would have taken a shite 0-0 to lift us out of the bottom three but that doesn’t mean he had to stick to it. The game was crying out for a bit more quality in the final third but he stuck on a second rate Ligue 1 player instead. The fact that Perez and Doumbia had an immediate impact while Tutankahim slipped, tripped and blundered his way through his wasted substitution makes it even worse.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:04 AM

I don’t subscribe to the theory that McClaren wants to be sacked, I subscribe to the theory that he was never up to the job and that has been amply demonstrated. I really don’t believe any other PL club would have taken him on, and Charnley and Carr have that to answer for. (as well as the dodgy transfer dealings)

• beermonkey

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:09 AM

so mclarens told perez he needs to find consistency and has basiclly dropped him

love to know what he has told sissoko and what he plans to do about him

• sing in the corner

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM

JfA
    Absolutely, that I agree with. Stoke appeared to be flat and by all accounts we didn’t react to that as the game developed. SM should have sensed it.
    Big three points today and we will be putting the wind back up the other 3 above us this morning. Swans v Norwich…actually hoping for a draw there. Swans and even Bourn can still be sucked back in, with 33 points still remaining in theory.
    Hope saints turn up, they should as they have been on a good run of form until just the last game. We could do with makems getting a big confidence dent before doomsday.
    Away out for son’s footy. Enjoy the game Jail anyhow, bring back 3 points at 5pm…
    Howay me bonny lads!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Jail
    A decent manager at half time would of realised that Stoke were there for the taking and our midfield were disfunctional – instead of going for 0-0 went positive took of any-one of the midfielders of and brought on Perz or Doumbia on to partner Mitovich up front

• Lindisfarne

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Sing

You are right the team played better defensively, but could not convert that stability into an attacking threat. By using exactly the same players and formation, Shtevie showed his limitations. The forwards could not keep possession, take a player on successfully or get behind the opposition, the same things that have been evident all season. When he felt obliged to change things, Perez and Doumbia immediately showed what had been missing and after 18 days of unobstructed observation in training this was the best that was on offer. The greatest defence in the PL relies on the team to hold onto the ball, otherwise the probability of conceding massively increases. If the weather had been better and Stoke performed as they can it would have been another thumping, another fine line…

• Jib

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Martoon
    Looking at it dispassionately the time to change the coaching staff would have been before the window when a new guy could have some input into the window signings (remember we spent the most of any club in Europe this January)
    With us beating Liverpool at home and Spurs away early December it was never going to happen.
    You’d think folk would remember the Shearer experience (I’m sure Charnley and Carr do)
    ten or so games is just not enough.
    The social media generation don’t have the first idea about what supporting a club means.
    Fortunately very few of the 50,000 proper supporters who attend SJP seem to be involved in internet sniping.

• SPRINGY

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM

• SPRINGY

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM

true geordie saying what most feel

• Jib

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I found it interesting that The Guardian had a poll about whether to sack SM or not with about the same numbers participating (a couple or 3 thousand) Their poll is about 50/50 in stark contrast to this blog .

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Ah Jib. Ever the regime apologist. There’ll be no cross words from those 50,000 “proper” fans when we tumble into the Championship? I suppose not, they’re the universal soldiers, blind to all but the cause, the rhetoric of allegiance. Remind you of anything?

• Jib

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Springy
    True Geordie saying what most on the internet feel and it’s complete garbage .

• Jib

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM

The overrated Frenchman
    Not really
    But you remind me of the true geordie.
    I bet you’re a foul mothed braggart with some really lush tats

• Jib

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I bet you’re foul – mouthed as well

• reilly

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:33 AM

wheres the link to the guardian poll.
    wouldnt mind seeing it.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Jib,
    Me hibbit and Charlie in the Gallowgate will all be at the game today, why don’t each of us ask ten different people while waiting at the bar etc whether or not the hapless tuft should be sacked or not, then we’ll see what “real” fans think!

• SPRINGY

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:34 AM

jib
    ok….change that to… what most on the poll taken on here the other day may feel.

• magscar

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM

sitc

McClaren as quoted above

Everyone knows that playing for a draw is a high risk strategy and the inevitable happened as Shaqiri finally took a chance. We hardly created anything at all with the ball continually been returned to Stoke because of our lack of forward moment and ability to support Mitro. He had luck with him against today’s opponents when we played them away and won but when else have those tactics succeeded. Stoke were there for the taking and he resisted changing things to capitalise and hoped for a draw. It isn’t as though we concede late goals is it! Yes I would have taken the draw but this wasn’t Arsenal or Man city away but a poor Stoke side also struggling with the conditions. He didn’t gamble and lost all 3 points. As the season comes to an end the pressure to go for 3 points in away games is going to mount and become harder not easier to achieve. This match or at least 2cnd half represented a great chance for us to gain 3 desperately needed away points and he wasn’t brave enough to go for it. 2 wins this week would have taken a lot of pressure off and now today takes on even greater importance.

I said yesterday that I don’t like to change managers in season but desperate times call for desperate measures. Can you see him getting us 3 points in any of our remaining away games if he continues with his unadventurous away tactics ?

If we lose today then if he isn’t sacked I fear he will be a lame duck on run in having lost crowd and seemingly players. My only reservation ( and it is a big one) is can we get the right type of candidate because a change for changes sake may be worse than staying with him. Having bought himself time before Christmas it may be that like it or not ( as with Carver) it is now too late to make an effective switch. It may be Charnley has been making enquiries but I am not too hopeful as he can’t move without Carr.

• WWSBRD

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Jib
    How do u know what the crowds at St James do on the Internet?

Ur gonna be the happiest ‘mag’ in the championship kidda I will give u that