The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wait For It – Rumors Charnley About To Make A Decision

3:25 pm, Wednesday, March 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

The breaking news is that Newcastle manager Steve McClaren will meet with Managing Director Lee Charnley this afternoon and it could be the Newcastle MD has been forced into something he cannot seem to do to save his life.

Make a decision.

But before you get carried away and all excited,  it seems that Steve McClaren was supposed to talk to owner Mike Ashley yesterday, but that didn’t happen.

So Steve – not too surprisingly –  has requested the meeting with Charnley after he has heard nothing from the Managing Director since the Bournemouth disgrace on Saturday.

lee charnley

Lee Charnley – may be forced into a corner
May have to make a decision
We’ll see

So the conditions seem to be right for Lee to actually make a decision and even tell the head coach he is fired.

There was a meeting in York on Monday when Charnley met with Board members Bob Moncur and Graham Carr, but no real decisions were taken at that meeting – well not on McClaren anyway.

That would have looked too much like a knee-jerk reaction after only two days after the Bournemouth defeat – and after Newcastle had been fourth bottom of the league all season long and we have lost five of our last six games.

The Newcastle Board don’t do knee-jerk reactions.

But things have gone on for too long with the weird situation of Steve turning up for training on each of the last two days, not knowing if he will be in the job next Monday night at Leicester.

But we still cannot accuse Lee Charnley of taking any initiative, as it was Steve who has called for the Charnley meeting – and that’s hardly surprising.

Now we will see – with Lee in the proverbial corner – whether he will be forced into making a decision.

If he is then we could even see news on the Newcastle web-site that Steve McClaren has been fired.

But we are not holding our breath on that, but it is possible it could happen.

The alternative is Lee will continue dithering and nothing of consequence will come out of the meeting with Steve.

That’s also possible.

Time check – this is the fourth day since the Bournemouth disgrace and there has been no communique at all from the club.

Comments  welcome.

Tags: Board of Directors · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 midweek weekend // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM

mcclare is gone for sure, if he was staying he would take that press conference tomorrow no question, so who will be coming in is the question, rafa benitez would be incredible but i just cant see it.

• 2 Barton // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM

*Breaking News* Penfolds went with the Custard Creams.

• 3 JackButler // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM

If SM is about to be sacked we must have reached an agreement with his replacement.

This should be interesting

• 4 SPRINGY // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM

barton
    under advisement from mcclaren….but charnley really really wanted the hob nobs…..but didnt want to upset him.

• 5 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Graeme Carr is wedging a chair up against the door handle of the boardroom while Lee Charnley is trying to wring mulligatawny soup out of yet another tie. Bob Moncur is occupied with lego under the table with duct tape across his mouth.

• 6 richyg01 // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM

what decision?

Tea? or Coffee?

• 7 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Meanwhile Mike is perplexed at the “the number is not being recognised” message he’s now getting when ringing NUFC.

• 8 SPRINGY // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM

richy
    WHOA…WHOA….slow down sir….this is charnley ya na….two decisions in one day!…..he’ll cry!!

• 9 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Carr – “we all enjoyed the trains are York didn’t we?”

As Bob nods silently, Lee says “and I got a badge from the Thomas ride… I’m a Really Useful Director!”

• 10 richyg01 // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM

sorry SPRINGY, I made the mistake of thinking he was a half normal person!

• 11 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM

….”SSSSHHHHH……he’s coming!. Hide!”

Steve –

“Hello? Helloo-ooo?” ( rattles door handle) “I just want my crayons and colouring book for my trip to Leicester.. I’d there anyone in there?”

• 12 martoon // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM

JackButler @3 – Not necessarily they could appoint a caretaker head coach from one of the coaches – however that would required Charnley to make 2 decisions in one day 🙂

• 13 davis_toons // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Graham Carr and club ambassador Bob Moncur wouldn’t want Rafa.

Rafa will demand power and control and these people will become puppets.

Properly Moyes will be their choices.

• 14 richyg01 // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Carr – “Thats because you are a really useful director Lee, I will be sure to tell the fat controller next time I see him”.

Bob – “mphh mphh mphh”

Lee – “Whats that bob?, you missed Steve?, dont worry, hes not going anywhere, we are just here to plan our next daytrip”

Carr – “Yep, we need to get them in now since they are capping away day tickets at £30 a head”

• 15 SPRINGY // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:45 PM

its taken charnley 4 days to build up the courage to talk to macca about the biscuits!…..be the end of the season about the sack….if ever!lol

• 16 SPRINGY // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM

charnley probably hoping grandpa bobby steps in to have word with the big bully steve and tell him he’s no longer his fwend!lol

• 17 stuart no9 // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM

so it was macca who called the meeting ?? , well thats f’@@ked my theory up . If it had been f@@k face who had called it i would have put my house on a taxi waiting outside foe macca , as it is , i havnt got a clue now ! i just dont know .

• 18 SPRINGY // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:50 PM

if macca has called the meeting it’ll be back me or sack me as he knows charnley is spineless and back down….nowt like intimidating the weak to get your way!!

• 19 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:51 PM

What a cobbled shambolic affair this club has become. Charnleys probably prioritised buying copier paper over this meeting with McClown.

• 20 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM

I don’t care what he’s going in for as long as he emerges with a cardboard box full of his desk toys.

• 21 lochinvar // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM

On the vexed subject of biscuits for tea I hate to spoil the fun but there has been a shortage of Custard Creams every since Carr’s factory (McVities) in Carlisle was flooded out before christmas.

However I am sure that Charnley will have sourced a cheaper less appealing ( typical of the Board ) alternative – “Jammy Dodgers” – it just seems more appropriate given who we are talking about.

• 22 davis_toons // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM

..just look at JC situation Lee Charnley will stick with McClaren.

• 23 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM

As McLaren emerges from his crisis meeting with Charnley and the Board he is greeted by the media who are clamouring for developments.

“I have met with Lee and the other board members, and I have their assurances that as long as I bring Mr Moncur the Six Chicken Nuggets Happy Meal back, I can keep the change..”

• 24 Belfast // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:58 PM

He might get Carver to phone McClaren and tell him he’s sacked lol

• 25 Belfast // Mar 9, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Couldn’t do us a big favour could you John ?

• 26 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Lochinvar – short biscuit story…

I spent a good couple of hours trying to buy ginger snaps from three supermarkets while my disbelieving other half poured phone scorn by texts on my efforts. In the end I took a photo of the empty shelves to prove there must have been a Ginger Nut War. Your explanation seems to hold the key to the shortage. I can rest easy and vindicated. 🙂

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM

I cannot see Ashley going anywhere at the moment and……

Maybe just Maybe Ashley has come to realise that the club needs a change of direction and it is him pushing to get Benitez in and give him a free hand to pick and choose who he wants at the club.

Hopefully and that could signal the demise of Carr, Charmless along with McLaren.

I can only hope

• 28 lochinvar // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM

earlier news but see point about Charnley meeting McClaren.

Newcastle have postponed Thursday’s scheduled news conference, with Steve McClaren set to meet managing director Lee Charnley on Wednesday afternoon, according to Sky sources.
    McClaren arrived to take training on Wednesday, but Sky Sports News HQ understands he will not face the media for his weekly pre-match news conference.
    SSNHQ also understands McClaren will meet Charnley for the first time since Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat to Bournemouth.

If McClaren resigns or offers to resign as his position is untenable then Charnley doesn’t have to make a decision…..phew that was close.

• 29 Tsunki // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:02 PM

You know, if I was John Carver and I was asked to phone Jonas and tell him to sling his hook I wouldn’t have done it. I’d have at least met him face to face. Shows what a gawp Carver is.

• 30 chiefone30 // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:05 PM

If Ashley is serious about the club winning something in the near future I’d advice him to get rid of Charnley and Carr at the end of the season.

• 31 lochinvar // Mar 9, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Tsunki – Bourbons affected as well but good news all now back in production.
    P.S. Mrs, Tsunki – he was telling the truth – Carrs/McVities were out of production due to flood damage.

Don’t know what meds you’re on but you’re in fine form today -haven’t stopped smiling – loved the Boardroom scenarios ! Think this could be their next set of toys – the clue is in the title

• 32 magicmac // Mar 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Yes That little toe rag Charnley, old man Carr, and brain dead Moncur also need to fall on thier own sword, they are the reason we are such a shambles and a laughing stock all over the country, and it was Charnley and Carr who appointed Mc Claren in the first place, so they really need to walk themselves, also do nyou honestly think any intelligent and decent manager would work under they bloody clowns, i rest my case. Ho way the lads.

previous post: Newcastle Cancel Tomorrow’s Press Conference