The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Talks With Benitez At An Advanced Stage

3:53 pm, Thursday, March 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Keith Downie of Sky Sports is communicating that Steve McClaren has been told he will be fired from his job as head coach and that talks with Rafa Benitez have reached an advanced stage as a deal is close to bringing the former Liverpool manager to Newcastle on a three year deal through the summer of 2019.

There is likely to be an escape clause for Rafa should Newcastle be relegated from the Premier League in May, but in another tweet Keith says the Leicester game may come too early for Rafa.

🙁 🙁 🙁

rafa benitez waving

Rafa Benitez – in advanced talks

That last tweet is worrisome – Leicester may come too soon.

We need Rafa in charge so we have some chance of getting something out of the game – who would take charge on Monday night?

But here have also been more recent reports that Rafa will be unvieled tomorrow – it’s a pity the whole thing – McClaren leaving and Rafa coming in – couldn’t be announced later today.

But that would mean Newcastle would need to move a lot quicker than the glacier like motions they have been making all week.

Newcastle have managed this whole thing very poorly – very amateurishly – like schoolboys – with apologies to schoolboys everywhere.

Tags: Board of Directors · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Mar 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I still refuse to believe this until it actually happens.

• 2 JackButler // Mar 10, 2016 at 3:57 PM

From the pictures of SM leaving the training ground, think he’s been told he’s done.

Even if Raffa does not come in SM simply cannot continue

• 3 lochinvar // Mar 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Three wheels on my wagon,
    And Steves’s still rolling along
    NUFC are chasing me
    Arrows fly, right on by
    But I’m singing a happy song

I’m singing a higgity, haggity, hoggety, high
    Geordies, they never say die
    A mile up the road there’s a hidden cave
    And I can watch those pundits
    Go galloping by

SPOKEN: “Charnley, they’re catching up to us!”
    “Get back in the wagon woman!”

Two wheels on my wagon,
    And I’m still rolling along
    Them pundits are after me
    Flaming spears, burn my ears
    But I’m singing a happy song

I’m singing a higgity, haggity hoggety, high
    Geordies, they never say die
    Half a mile up the road there’s a hidden cave
    And we can watch those pundits
    Go galloping by

SPOKEN: “Duh, Charnley ? Are you sure this is the right road?”
    “Will you hush up? You and your maps!”

One wheel on my wagon,
    And I’m still rolling along
    Them pundits after me
    I’m all in flames, at the reins
    But I’m singing a happy song

I’m singing a higgity, haggity hoggety, high
    Geordies , say why aye goodbye
    Right around that turn there’s a hidden cave
    And I can watch those Spaniards
    Come galloping by

• 4 geordiegav1987 // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM

• 5 Graeme // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:02 PM

This is how much FCB thinks Penfold is worth!!

I would bet there are people who read this blog making that sort of money. Just goes to show what FCB thinks of the Club!!!

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Looks like Smacca will survive the day. Another day closer to the game, and we are still hamstrung by the wally. Shelvey has a point, in a way, but it’s maccas job to motivate them at the end of the day, and play them in a system that makes even a little bit of sense.

• 7 danuneek // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM

• 8 Rotonda heights // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Rafa Benitez:

From – Modric, Ramos, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema

To – Colback, Steven Taylor, Goufrann, Rivière, Cisse

– – – – – – – – – –

reason alone for carr to get sacked with Charnley.

• 9 ShirebrookToon // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM

The proof of the pudding is in the eating

• 10 Jib // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Cathro and Pedro Beardsley taking the team to Leicester.

• 11 tequilamag // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:17 PM

RH did Rafa buy any of them ?He bought a lot of duds at Liverpool for an awful lot of money.
    Hope he does well but he is not the genius many on here think he is

• 12 AncientC // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:17 PM

I remember Benitez was one of a very few to refuse to have the customary after game drink with Alex Ferguson. I could fully understand his thinking behind that. Rafa did claim that Ferguson had undue influence on the FA, and likely didn’t want to be influenced himself by fraternising with Fergie.

It is all very well being gentlemanly etc, but in a competitive sport winning is more important.

• 13 wolfshead@toon // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:20 PM

get real man no pun intended haha
    if anything it just highlights why his reign could be short lived i wouldnt be surprised if he sees us as his way back to the prem maybe even eyeing up van gaals job if he gets the chop

• 14 Jib // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM

The squad are on a scheduled day off tomorrow.
    I would guess RB will meet the lads over the weekend and be in the Stands at the Foxes

• 15 BeeGuy // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Still just rumors on Rafa. Macca may be finishing the season and seeing out his contract (at a reduced salary) in the Championship.

• 16 Jib // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Judge for yourselves

His ins and outs just about balance out at £160 million – but Torres was sold for £50 million after he left

• 17 Belfast // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Our squad has a lot of scheduled days off.

• 18 U.S Magpie // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Rafa is 100% a step up from McClamity. Here’s the thing I don’t care that its taking a little longer with Rafa if this is true. I would hope that they are trying to convince him even if relegated he stays on as coach to take us back and make the club the prem club it deserves to be. Honestly don’t want the escape clause in the contract, but if it is, I really hope that he can bring some character building to the players and get the most out of them and we stay up. If he manages that he will get Sir Bobby status at Newcastle. I also think he knows a little more about players and how they tick unlike SM who just does not get it. When a Spanish coach shouts at you on the sideline I guarantee that player will feel that Wrath unlike when SM shouts into his hands while he is sitting down.

• 19 lochinvar // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Rotonda heights // Mar 10, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    Rafa Benitez:
    From – Modric, Ramos, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema
    To – Colback, Steven Taylor, Goufrann, Rivière, Cisse

Next Year
    NUFC- Modric, Ramos, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema
    Real Madrid ??????

• 20 JackButler // Mar 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM

For a squad that doesn’t do a lot of a Saturday afternoon the players seem to get a lot of time off?

Just seems to add salt to the wounds if you ask me

• 21 jimiley // Mar 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM

I recall Rafa bought a whole load of shit at Liverpool for a couple of hundred million. Desperate times evoke desperate responses.

• 22 nufcursed // Mar 10, 2016 at 7:25 PM

guys in all honesty it doesn’t matter if benitez is the right man or not.
    fact is: he’s one of the best names that our sorry team could target to replace mcclaren!
    if he’d come, i’d be delighted!
    there’s still a decent chance to survive relegation with a lot of direct confrontations with norwich, sunderland, villa, swansea..
    if benitez is our next manager we CAN’T complain no more!
    he’s had a better career than our club in recent years so we should be thankful he WANTS to come to us!!

• 23 chinleymag // Mar 10, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Im confused so confused Sky says we are talking to him Lee Ryder says no direct contact made. Im closing my mind to all things NUFC until Monday as the suspense is killing. His game management and tactical nous would see us safe but why the hell doest it take our low paid board(peanuts/monkeys) so long to sort anything out. Just one other point before I curl up in my Super Mac duvet for three days It will end in tears !! It always does. My first games were in the early 60s and in truth the majority of that time it has been heart ache and as i think the current regime are a bunch of low life back stabbing liars I cant see that ending any time soon. Maybe the delay is Rafa insisting on a water tight contract that doesnt leave him exposed to MAshleys coniving machinations.

• 24 chinleymag // Mar 10, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Oh and good on McClaren. Obviously not the guy for the job and currently been treat atrociously. But playing the game superbly towards a constructive dismisal tribunal.
    Charnley and crews knowledge of employment law seems to be on a par with there business and football accumen

• 25 only one bobby robson // Mar 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Charnley has not sacked mclaren and he won’t rafa Benitez is not coming to newcastle there’s not a chance he will work under so
    Done who couldn’t choose what cour socks to wear ie charnley this hole set up at our club complete joke wish I’d never slagged sir john hall or Freddy shepherd off as they are 100 times for newcastle than Ashley or charnley will ever be hello championship at least we will have Adam Armstrong who will be best centre forward in championship

previous post: One Shoe Has Fallen – One To Go – When Will Club Communicate?

next post: Jonjo Shelvey Could Become New Captain At Newcastle