Alan Shearer Reacts To Benitez Appointment

Alan Shearer has reacted to the appointment of Rafa Benitez today as the new Newcastle manager and he says it is a coup for the Newcastle United club.

rafa benitez arrives at st james pk

A smiling Rafa Benitez earlier today

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:15 PM

We have to beat the scum…the lift in moral would really give us the momentum we need to stay up…but if we lose I’d suggest we’ll be relegated because that would put the scum four points clear with a much better goal difference which in essence is 5 points clear and they’ll be difficult to peg back because once the scum are 5 points ahead allardyce will just park the bus for the rest of the season.

The great thing about this is Rafa knows it as well…so we have to give him maximum respect for putting his reputation on the line in such a way. You have to applaud the man.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Survival is there for the grabbing. No excuses. We’re only in the relegation zone by 1 point and goal difference. Don’t forget we’re really only competing against Sunderland and Norwich. I reckon Norwich will get 8-11 points from their remaining matches. Sunderland will get less.

• toonking

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM

// Mar 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM

WW

I’ve been following the news on sky sports and they said no team has managed to survive when sitting in the relegation zone with only 10 games remaining.

The derby game is like a champions league final to us. If we get a victory confidence will be sky high and the past will seem like history but if we get a defeat then all this current positivity will be gone, we’ll be going into a full fortnight feeling as if nothing has changed leaving rafa under extreme pressure as if his job is at risk come the norwich game.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:19 PM

I think keeping Cathro is a very good move. He’ll be able to bring Rafa up to speed straight away with a who’s who of the players – the crap ones, trouble makers, idle ones etc etc.
    This is much better than having a total clear out.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM

WWSBRD
    Fully get that tbf

Personally just enjoying the moment of not appointing a washed mid 90’s British bore as gaffer!

• Offkey

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Tuff – true but I can’t help thinking that he is seen by the players as being a numpty.

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM

mister tuff

Very good point…very good point indeed!

• firebug666

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM

We WILL beat the scum lads, no doubt about it, The whole city just got a huge lift, Rafa will still have a few surprises ready for the derby, and I doubt the makems will be expecting the Newcastle team they are about to meet.

Confidence?………………You bet cha!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:24 PM

WW…,
    There are five very winnable games and we have shown what we can do when set up for a win, that Stoke game sucked the last bit of life and will to win out of the players when it was there for the taking and we went for the draw. I think that most of them will now want to stay. A relegation was a get out clause before but where would they go, on this form Stoke, W Ham? Now they have a chance of winning something in front of 52K fans. That new manager bounce and the prospect of a bright future will see us ok.

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM

toonking
    That’s some scary stat and why am not jumping for joy, I honestly think it’s come too late and what an opportunity missed of it has

Though tbf, and I don’t know the other managers than came in with 10 or less games to go, Rafa is probably superior to them and by some way but am still not confident we will stay up…more optimistic than I was certainly but it’s a hell of a job

toonarmydownsouth
    Enjoy it mate don’t let me ruin it haha it is after all Rafa f***ing Benitez managing NUFC that’s CL quality, cup winning quality, absolutely top quality as managers go could be put with the Mourinhos Guardiolas and Fergusons in terms of management really

• mattyNUFC

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Rafas gone and broke the Internet.

He’s had more hits than Kim kardashians a**!

• ic0gcds00

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I hope he has some steel toe capped boots to kick there arses,because they’ve been a disgrace.to the club,supporters and themselves. Except Elliot and krul.
    Go on Rafa.

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Rafa and Allardyce have some history as well…Rafa would luv it….just luv it if we beat the scum1 🙂 🙂

• optimistic prime

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Real Madrid fans Bin dipper fans ringing up total sport being positive towards NUFC new manager…..

It’s a dream… It must be

• toonheroes

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Rafa calls Collo.
    Hola Collo, get that lazy bunch of slackers you call a team in for training sharpish. It’s time to get this show on the road.
    All in Spanish of course.

• Toonces

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM

The three year deal for Benitez is interesting and I expect that he has an exit clause if we do get relegated but maybe Ashley is finally having learned his lessons and have forward looing plan. Maybe Benitiz will have insisted that the new training ground project finally goes forward instead of putting it off like a yo-yo because of the threat of relegation. Although, this project should never have been tied to PL status. It is something the club needs to be credible as a proper football organization.

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Just cracked open my first bud for benitez.

Who’d of thunked that eh! Fcuk me.

I’m staying with WWS, cautiously optimistic

• optimistic prime

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM

I’m worried it’s to little to late but Raffa is a dream come true, a real manager!

I’m still buzzing and think we have a real good chance of staying up!
    If the team get half the uplift he fans have we’ll stay up easy.

Someone said Rafa signed Shelvey for pool, captain all day if the case.

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Maybe the sellers of scouse permed wigs and moustaches will be in for a windfall over the coming weeks…would be good to see some humour back in the crowd again

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM

JfA
    We do have winnable games but the culture of the club is failure and lack of caring

I maybe happier after Lecister because they should all be out there to impress Rafa but if the same level of crap is churned out I don’t think he will have the time to rebuild the club the way that’s needed

But I hope ur right I’d love to see what Rafa can do next season with money behind him and a plan ahead of him, along with a bouncing St James but I will be heart broken if we go down and miss that opportunity

• Offkey

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Wws- I am with the your thinking but think I am a tad bit optimistic.

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:37 PM

We’ll know if Rafa really means business when he pays up Colos contract and tells him to fcuk off back to Argentina.

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM

you never know…if we just miss out on staying up he still might stay if he can talk most of the squad into staying and they buy into the project he sells them…you just never know lads…owt cud happen.

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM

AC/offkey
    Don’t get me wrong I am hugely more optimistic with Rafa rather than McClaren but I am still very concerned

If we survive though I am all in, I will be excited, Keegan level of joy/optimism, Ashley will begrudgingly see my money again because I won’t be able to not go to St James anymore…just a long way until that happens right now

• Offkey

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Sparky- that made slightly happier if that’s possible

• mattyNUFC

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM

I missed it….was colo in that video from Benton?

As has been mentioned, can’t wait to see that back of that coward

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Another thing our top targets will want to play for Rafa been awhile since we had that and I don’t think he will sell us as a stepping stone, he will tell players ur coming to NUFC and ur becoming a Geordie if u sign here (I hope anyway, he can’t of taken this job if he doesn’t have respect for NUFC hopefully haha)

• dok - the horrid colonial

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM

OP,

better late than never, at least theres hope now, when macca was here, we all were expecting we were down..

• Offkey

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Wws – should have read ‘a tad bit more optimistic’ I get where your coming from completely but I have faith Rafa can do it…….could be blind optimism but I will take it

• firebug666

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM

WWSBRD

Well he did call us a legendary club, so he has some respect, He came to wake the sleeping giant.

• Offkey

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Just sat in the pub getting drunk coz I am soooooo chuffed

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Offkey
    I thought as much mate and more power to ya haha

firebug
    Well it’s about bloody time someone did tbf he wins something with us his CV status hits another level haha

• toonking

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM

WW

Rafa might be a better manager than mac but it still doesn’t hold me back from the belief that survival lies on the derby. Even if we won against leicester city won’t make up for to defeat to sunderland. Fans will still be in uproar and to make matters worse it brings back the same signs we’ve had all season, A team getting points where we don’t expect them yet losing points in games we expect and need the win most.

• 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Mr T

Keeping Cathro suggests we did have one of the back room team right ! Hopefully he might be the heir in a few years time, and a cup win under wor belts

• WWSBRD

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM

toonking
    100% with u we have to win that game, the players have to turn up and we have to take 3 points no excuse

• Bobbybee

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM

The reason I think we’ll get out of relegation trouble is because we’ve seen what these players are capable of in glimpses. They can do it. It’s not just us pinching ourselves, the players must be doing likewise. They suddenly have the chance to learn from one of the world’s best managers, who’ll be teaching them how to get the best out of themselves. They would probably pay for that experience. This will have a big effect on the players and they’d be mugs not to grasp this chance. Our season in ten games, as sad as that is. We can do it and if we do, the next few seasons might be a rollercoaster ride. With £70m still in the kitty, I should imagine Ashley promised him 100m to spend if we stay up. And that, in anybody’s eyes, is exciting. 😉

• only one bobby robson

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I have to say I wanted Steve mclaren to work and I thought he was going to I was wrong he had to go in the end I think he knew that but one thing I will say Steve mclaren has conducted himself in a total gentlemens manor and I really wish him all the best for the future . Now to the real business everyone behind rafa the team even charnley and Ashley were the twelfth man ten games left we can do this rafa now it’s time to work your magic toon toon black and white army!

• Lindisfarne

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Four training sessions between now and Leicester match, hopefully sort the wheat from the chaff.

• martoon

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Bobbybee @36 – As I keep saying we only have to get 2 more points than the makems in the remaining games to stay up which I don’t think is beyond the realms of possibility 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM

I keep looking at the news on various places with a big smile. Yes!!!! Brilliant.

Tuff, I’m pleased Cathro has been kept on as well. Not only does it show appreciation for potential coaching ability but it provides an overlap of the regimes. Maximising the effectiveness of the transition.