The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Photos – Newcastle’s First Training Session With Rafa Benitez

9:06 pm, Friday, March 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 174 Comments

Rafa Benitez went to the training ground shortly after being announced as the new Newcastle manager this afternoon – notice it was manager and not head coach – and rather than just meet with the players and give them a talk – Rafa had them do a full training session in preparation for our crucial game on Monday night at Leicester City.

It was the players day off but Rafa was able to got an immediate message through to the squad – that he’s not at Newcastle to mess around – and at least he is focused on Monday night’s game  in particular – and Newcastle surviving the drop in general.

Here are some of the photographs taken during the training session.

rafa benitez training 2

Rafa Benetiz meeting some of the players – who are you?

rafa benitez training 1

rafa benitez training 4

rafa benitez training 5

rafa benitez training 6

rafa benitez training 7

rafa benitez training 8

rafa benitez training 9

Well it looks like some of our players even enjoyed it.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

174 responses so far ↓

• 1 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:09 PM

what a beautiful piece:

and I quote:

“Guardiola replies that there are coaches whose attitude is like Belmondo’s: “They could say: ‘No, no, I’ve got my status, I’ve coached Real Madrid … I can’t just go and coach at any old place. [But], no, instead, they go. They go because they like the day?to?day, being with the players, preparing games, the adrenaline, the fear of losing, the blows from the media,” he says. “They prefer that to being at home.”

Absolutely LOVE IT.

• 2 sing in the corner // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM

123sing in the corner // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Yeah hats off to you, you were on the money with Benitez. I still can’t quite believe that we got him, had to stare at the to rubbing my eyes, but yes,he’s breezed into Toon! Very,very happy!
    Mind, I don’t see a Spanish waiter likeness. More like Rene from Allo allo!

• 3 magscar // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM

One of the photos with Colo head bowed seems to be them having a prayer for the departed. Oh is Colo despondent at the way it has all gone pear shaped?

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM

I’d bet that he already has dossiers on the players.

Also I will be surprised if Taylor plays, I reckon he’ll prefer Mbemba or lascelles over him.

• 5 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM

absolutly delighted with the appointment
    if the players have got half the spring in there step as the toon army have right now we can win on monday night

even happier he made them come in today

• 6 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I hate full backs who don’t defend

• 7 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:20 PM

he named and shamed colo for being pants and and a naff captain

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Thank you, but I wouldn’t say I was on the money, I really didn’t think we would get him but always knew that if Ashley wanted it we could get a Klopp, Benitez and certainly a FDB, why after 80M has been spent it has come to this gawd knows. But onward and upward, lets avoid the drop and enjoy our success. Lets just hope that once the fat man has his safety he doesn’t revert to type. Hopefully Benitez’s contact will be watertight as far as assurances are concerned.

• 9 John Akomfrah // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM

de gong a full back no-way

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Hopefully it will be a good weekend, Benitez today, Wales win tomorrow and Newcastle win on Monday night football.

Happy Days

• 11 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Can’t believe we have got this guy though.

• 12 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Jail had never heard of him he googled “out of work managers” – he also suggested John Carver

• 13 seasons // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:27 PM

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Does Cathro speak Spanish?

• 15 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Can’t believe the turn around in expectations and joy, it’s astonishing that we have benitez. Definately worth celebrating – especially with budweiser. Mmmm, now let’s beat Leicester.

• 16 AndyMac // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:32 PM

I dont see Rafa keeping us up but with a “Manager’s” role I can see him identifying those wasters who shouldnt be here any more, hopefully overriding Carr and showing Chumley the exit door !

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM

As it happens I did Google out of work managers and we’ve got one of the best, are you still seething we never scraped a win against Bournemouth so you could say I told you so “Macca knows his footy”?

• 18 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM

TDS…….. My apologies for confusing you with a fiend. It must be the John Daniels. Jack to most folk but when you’ve known him as long as I have.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Why can’t you see him keeping us up, the place is buzzing, might not beat Leicester but we’ll definitely beat the mackems and that’s pivotal, Norwich is very winnable with new belief and pretty much job done… Almost

• 20 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM

At least we wn’t have a bent French ref this time.
    Craig Joubert from SA is reffing the game

• 21 sing in the corner // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Lads man! The script is written…we score our third goal against the makems next weekend and Rafa turns to the away dugout and does his ‘it’s over’ hand signal routine in the general direction of Allerdyce!
    Karma of the highest, sweetest order! 🙂

• 22 ToonDownSouth // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Will be interesting to see where people lay the blame if Rafa can’t turn this circus around anyway. Maybe those that still avoid laying the blame on the owner and his mates will wake up and see some sense – it’ll be much harder to point the finger at the coaching staff.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM

You still want Pardew back, ha ha

• 24 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:42 PM

I really thought we’d scud Bournemouth.
    The players were a disgrace.
    No excuses for SM though (or his backroom staff ).
    And in the event a brilliant outcome.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Simply put Benitez is excused from any blame, he has the CV, he has money in the bank and does not need to put his reputation on the line, he is here to be a hero and win trophies, if he fails it will fall on, unfortunately the players first, then Charnley/Carr and then begrudgingly Ashley, the man who has until today stuck fast to his dire policies. Personally I think Benitez will keep us up and if his contract is watertight Mike Ashley might have finally seen sense and we are in for great times.

• 26 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Blooming heck Pardew at Wembley !

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM

So why are you being a nasty pr1ck all day?

• 28 John Akomfrah // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM

At least Pardew is going to Wembley, we have just sacked ours.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Looking forward to the rugby tomorrow.

• 31 Mister Tuff // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Hahahaha – Jail it’s because he had to change horses when the race was nearly over – trying to save face.

Jib – stick to rugby and let the lads who know about “footy” or football as we say do the thinking. You’ll be on safer ground.

Are you playing substitute Jane tonight to take the pressure off.

• 32 No Defence // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM

I’m still buzzing ????

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Could you explain that comment please.

• 34 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Point scoring on a blog, you couldn’t make it up!!

Rafael Benitez to Newcastle, you couldn’t make it up!!

• 35 John Akomfrah // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM

you could ask jib jfa

• 36 toonking // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM

forget welsh and his love for pardew. Where is that man from norway?

• 37 NewcastleMole // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM

1-0 Pardew: “put it in corner”
    Zaha “fk that” 2-0

Pardew “Im really pleased we got the second goal.”

The man is such a fraud.

• 38 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM

palace have leicester and west ham up next there league form is dire losses against those 2 could see him given the old heave ho

• 39 Mister Tuff // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Great celebrations today on Tyneside, meanwhile down in the Valleys’ it’s……………………………………

• 40 optimistic prime // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Did Rafa are Colo?

• 41 optimistic prime // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Did Rafa slate colo?

• 42 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Welshie……..What do you think about our new manager? Are you feeling ewephoric?

• 43 toonking // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

A very entertaining and attacking team is what we want but i’d go with a 4-5-1 style against leicester city,attacking teams is just what leicester city want, they allow the opposition to come into the box miss the goal and next minute it’s marez and Vardy dashing up taking advantage of all the space left by our players.

• 44 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

not yet

magscar was talking about the the 3rd pic down colo’s head is down while there being spoken to

i was guessing what might have been said

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Mrs Tuff

Come up with something new, there’s a good girl.

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:12 PM

What do you want me to explain.

• 47 optimistic prime // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

You’re proved right.

Doesn’t Rafa like to play 4321?

• 48 optimistic prime // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

My phones on one

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

The bit about us sacking ours?, did you mean yours?

• 50 Belfast // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Yes always plays 4231. Everyone’s favourite formation haha

• 51 Belfast // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Preferred you when yer were grumpy Jail

• 52 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Quite obvious that i was on about Newcastle.

• 53 Belfast // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM

How many schelded days off do this squad have ? It’s all you ever hear. They’re on a scheduled day off. You’d think with being so shite they wouldn’t get many days off like.

• 54 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:28 PM

The pigeons in Swansea fly upside down as there’s nothing worth crapping on.

• 55 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM

with some1 like rafa coming in these so called bad apples might start pulling in the right direction

some of the stuff rafa has said about players out for themselves he seems to have done his home work

• 56 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM

I know that Rafa is a big believer in squad rotation, I’m not expanding on that.

• 57 toonking // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Even the towel i’ve just during my shower will be dryer than the one catchy has given how long he’s been hiding away crying over the loss of maclown.

• 58 martoon // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Realistically we might get beat at Leicester – but it’s the games against clubs around us such as the makems that will decide our fate. Hopefully we’ll get the new manager bounce back.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM

I’m not sure what the deal is, when you play on Monday you have Friday off, is that because you can go on the pi$$ on Thursday instead of Saturday, I bet the players were actually well glad to come in and meet the new gaffer instead of sitting at home on their play stations or ladbrookes apps. I hope to god this works out. I’ve wanted two things out of Ashley, either fcuk off or get a good manager with money to spend!

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM

If you say so.

• 61 toonking // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:43 PM

whilst normally a critic of having semi finals at wembley, it’s a good thing they are at wembley this season otherwise we might have seen pardue playing his FA semi final at St james park. they use to play semi finals at big netrual stadiums.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Unfortunately for Leicester as much as I want them to win the league, realistically they are due an upset and nerves to kick in, their place is buzzing but we’ll be so fired up I think this could be their first home defeat in a long time, since Arsenal turned them over 5-1 or 2 at the start of the season.

• 63 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM

I’ve been trying oh so hard to be civil to Jib but even today he’s wading in with insults and his imagined ‘told-you-so’ nonsense. This is the guy rooting for McLaren months on end right up to the last game, and who, like everyone else never dreamed Benitez would be signed. He’s an incorrigible imbecile.

And Bills-son desperately trying to justify Ashleys season-long brinkmanship as being vindicated by this appointment, when in reality it’s him wading in to sort out the absolute disgrace he precipitated in the first place.

Leave it out, it won’t wash.

Meanwhile, I for one am stunned, delighted and looking forward to a good stab at saving our season. That’s it, no I told you do, no predictions come true. it’s what it is. All the best Rafa!

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM

It was always Hillsborough or Villa Park wasn’t it, I’m sure Jib will tell us via an italian website claiming hos vast footy knowledge.

• 65 Carr Toon // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Oh Ed, I am shocked to see Steve McClaren as head coach in the bottom right of our main page………..plz replace that soon…….

• 66 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:50 PM

i think we can win

rafa is manager these players know he isnt gonna put up with there i will play in this match at not the next 3
    they will need and i assume want to impress

• 67 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM

McLarens Reign of Terror is over.

Benitez’s Reign of Terror can begin.

• 68 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM

It will do me just fine fine Benitez can set us up not to lose. I’ve been wanting to see that from The King’s Reign.

• 69 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Tsunki……… Your last paragraph is very encouraging. I must confess I had you down as an Ashley hater with no real passion for team affairs.

• 70 Carr Toon // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:54 PM

after sheer embarashment of last few months, i’ve never been a proud of our great club for last 10 yrs or so………HOWAY THE LADS!

• 71 toonking // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM

The key will be to park the bus and play for a draw. This itself will force leicester city to come at us. This will make them tire out more quickly. By the 70th minutr they should be tired out and will have less energy meaning we can start playing aggressive without having to worry about being caught out on the counter consistantly.

The sunderland game is the game I describe as a make or break. Even if we did get a victory against leicester I still can’t see it making up for a defeat against sunderland.

• 72 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM

So just to be clear it’s back to being Jeff, you spiteful dung-rummaging snipe. Goodnight.

• 73 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Betty in other words not a fan? Strange? I dislike and distrust Ashley and I half expect him to cock this up again. But team affairs not interesting? Hmm

• 74 bettyswallocks // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Tsunami…… Got you.

• 75 VanToonMan // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Good evening fellas – we’ve not had a fun friday like this in a while!

Now I really hope we stay up because if we go down the ‘what it could have been’ feeling – of a summer transfer window and full prem league season with Benitez as our manager will be heartbreaking.

Anyway let’s stick to the staying up focus – how many do we genuinely need to get to be pretty sure of staying up? 5 wins?

• 76 Lanzatoon42 // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Absolutely spot on!!!!

• 77 shaun83 // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Most exciting managerial appointment since Sir Bobby. I am worried though:

No natural goal scorer (bar codes who hadn’t done it consistently for a few years)
    Two decent midfielders in shelvey and wiji and even they are absent for away games
    Mbemba only decent defender who is injured, janmaat catches the eye going forward but is at fault for lots of goals too.

It’s going to take a miracle ??

• 78 shaun83 // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM

*bar cisse

• 79 Magpie Season // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I am so happy. I can finally enjoy the weekend now in a long while.

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Despite our rivarly, I once had a respect for bills, when he went missing I e mailed Ed and sent on my best wishes, he returned after his illness to gloat after a win streak, I let that go obviously because he’d been away through illness. We went on another horrible run and he left again until we signed a few players and recovered to gloat, when I had had a go he gave me both barrels thinking that his hero, after spending 50M had come good, he soon disappeared again. Now on a day when we should all be rejoicing, the ‘orrible old cnut comes on to tell us what clowns we were for moaning about the last 6 out of eight years of mind numbing torture!

• 81 Magpie Season // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM

I just have one question. Who is his assistant manager is it still Cathro?

• 82 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Let’s see how our fans slate rafa when he plays his preferred 4231. There’s no other main formation but that with rafa with 2 holding midfielders infront of the back 4.

Wait till fans call his head for not playing 2 upfront. Lol.

• 83 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Magpie Season
    Fabio Pecchia, Francisco de Miguel Moreno and Antonio Gomez Perez.

• 84 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM

To be fair Rafa almost invented that formation and, yes, there has been criticism it’s too rigid at times. Yet it is the formation used by Mourinho and countless other coaches too – including Tufty – so it ain’t anything special.

Rafa’s zonal marking at set pieces has had a good track record in terms of goals conceded and I bet not many will slag him for that.

• 85 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:31 PM

magpie season

i dont think he was assist manager.
    but cathro is staying and rafa has bought in his own people not sure who his assistant is though

• 86 Magpie Season // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:32 PM

So these guys were with him at Madrid. Nice.

• 87 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM

how does that answer magpies question

if ur playing pictionary more pics are needed

• 88 Magpie Season // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Did anyone else break their bed by jumping up & down on it?

• 89 manxpie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM

wow a free interview on nufctv as well things are a changing!
    tbh tho he’s just another sacked real madrid manager 🙂

and seeing the vids ober is back so even more good news!
    seriously tho this should have happened way way before 10 games left and i see people saying that we should be giving ashley credit are they fuskin serious!!
    9 years its taken to spend some money and appoint a manager with such a cv!!
    and now he should be given credit lol i’m sure the club have something going with sky too.

and looking at that pic of them laughing above it looks like lacelles is the butt of the joke lmao!

• 90 Tsunki // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Betty – yes. Yes, you did 🙁

• 91 manxpie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:41 PM

rafa tells ya all in the vid posted earlier from nufctv

• 92 manxpie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:44 PM

it looks like karanka thought he might of got the job he’s been in a right huff today it seems

• 93 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:47 PM

• 94 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Charnley and Carr have ruined our season and might well take us down. They appointed Makro when most fans knew better. They have blown the best part of £80m on players. And they have dithered when they should’ve sacked Makro weeks ago, at the very least before the trip to Spain. Bungling idiots. If Rafa saves us from the drop with our crap squad, he deserves the freedom of the city. The poor guy will do well to keep us in with a shout. Complete recklessness and negligence from Charnley and Carr who should be gone.

• 95 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:50 PM

what i meant was, fans should not be surprised if rafa sticks to his preferred 4231 all through the end of the season

Anita/Colback or maybe even Sisokko will be partnering Shelvey and they will sit infront of the back 4. that is virtually guaranteed.

under Rafa it means the end of 442 ever which has been tried and failed by our previous failures. pardew/mclaren etc.

I’m most curious about 1 thing. What will Benitez do with Sisokko and where he’s gonna play him. I highly doubt Sisokko is going to play right wing under Rafa. or he might until Rafa signs another winger he prefers next season(IF we stay up.).

• 96 Jib // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM

Not sure if it will work

• 97 manxpie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:53 PM

seasons // Mar 11, 2016 at 9:27 PM

• 98 Toonacious T // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:53 PM

I think we were a dead man walking under Schteve and today we got the call from the governor giving us a stay of execution. We have to be elated that we now have a fighting chance of survival. Sure, we might get sent down anyway but our chances of escaping execution just improved dramatically. We must all play our part now. I for one will be singing at the top of my lungs in the Leazez end on derby day. Any improved performance, especially defensively, on Monday night against Leceister should help breed confidence back into the squad. HWTL.

• 99 beermonkey // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:57 PM

was karanka even spoken to
    and with boro second i would have been suprised if he had left there to come to us

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:59 PM

You called me deluded and drunk lol lol ha ha when I suggested Benitez a few weeks ago, do I get an apology?

• 101 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM

ilove we have actually played better this season with 2 up top lol

we have been shocking at 4231 tho but that was before townsend and shelvey came in i.e a proper wide man and playmaker in the middle so could work better
    on sisko he has been shocking most of the time recently but has always been shocking in the middle

he plays on the right of a 3 for france and imo does a good job when he’s up for it there, the problem is he doesn’t fancy it any where near as much as he should do
    maybe rafa will get his mojo back properly

• 102 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:01 AM

when did either mclaren or pards try 442 the odd team sheet might have said it but it was more 451

actually pards did 442 at man u and we spanked them and we had cabs and tiote in the middle i bet he didnt try it much after that

• 103 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:04 AM

already have jail twice infact as i reposted it so ya not getting another one lol
    but put it this way if i said a oil rich magnate was gonna buy the club wat would you have said ?

we are ALL shocked by him coming here and this is as rotonda says lala land at the mo

• 104 Toonacious T // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Is it just me or does that interview say it is available to ALL supporters but then you can’t actually get it to play?

• 105 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:06 AM

beermonkey i don’t know but on sky sports now its saying he has walked out of team meeting and says he doesn’t want to manage them anymore

so could be in a huff just seemed to me it was perfect timing with todays events

• 106 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM

Toonacious T

i just watched it but i went through and not the links

• 107 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM

I’m very much looking forward to your input, and I don’t mean you Blackas! although I wouldn’t mind hearing what you think as well!

• 108 Toonacious T // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Cheers man, I will try that!

• 109 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:10 AM

thats a strange one
    most wouldnt entertain taking a team on the slide over a team on the up

there were no links to him so maybe there is something else

• 110 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM

i just hope the fans at home games really get behind them even after a bad result which i know must be hard but if this all works out imagine wat next summer could do

i know its a win win situation for rafa but the fact he could walk into any top 4 team in the world and he’s decided to take this challenge shows to me wat kind of man he is lets just hope to god it works out

• 111 JackButler // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Giving the players so many days off, given our current state and league position, is a damning indictment on SM as a coach, especially when you take into account that so many fail to even break a sweat come game day.

• 112 Novocastrian66 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:13 AM

Jib; just watched his interview. Obviously he hits all the right notes when going about the fans and the reasons he has come to the club. He comes across as a genuine senor and I think we are really fortunate to have him. Unlike the previous incumbents who have been lucky to be here.

• 113 Toonacious T // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:14 AM

When I went in through there is no play button on the big photo of Rafa’s face so I can’t activate the video. Weird, I wonder is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

• 114 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:15 AM

manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM

yea i think we do play better with 2 up top. but that is a system Rafa never plays.

maybe your right on sisokko and i hope rafa somehow managers to coax a good performance out of him.

but rafa is known to be a believer in squad rotation. so most players know they wont be playing week in week out unless they have the ability of a certain S.Gerard.

and he’s known to be a tactics freak and is obsessed with tactics. rafa is a new kind of appointment for all of us. we are used to being served up dross since Sir Robson left and having managers who are tactically rubbish.

Rafa is the polar opposite. a tactical genius.

• 115 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:15 AM

just seemed strange timing beer and im sure he would have been looked at especially for the worst scenario situation
    wouldn’t surprise me tho that charnley said the job is his and then he’s done his huff and charnley forgot to tell him that “errrrmmm………. actually ……..eeeerrrrrmm…….we’ve got somebody else”!!

• 116 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:17 AM

try the link that i re-posted it loads itself

• 117 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM

A link will do, I’m not gloating btw as I thought it would never happen, but I’ve always maintained we could attract top managers, although they were shite, Dalglish and Hullet were once considered top managers and they fancied the job. What baffles me is why Ashley was prepared to pay 80M on players and the wages that come with them but hire failed sacked managers to manage them?

• 118 Novocastrian66 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:19 AM

JB players should train every day in my opinion. The level of training would be dependant on their relevant condition. I would play football all day every day if I could.

• 119 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:21 AM

i just clicked on his face (thats sounds wrong)

found that from today

• 120 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM

aye ilove i weren’t having a go but just noticed that this season we have played better with 2 up top

we really havent got a squad of fit players tbh so its gonna be difficult but surely players will up their game now

i seen that article earlier about his love of zonal marking and tbh i don’t know if its a good thing or not at this stage especially with saylor! surely he will tke at least 20 games for that to sink in!

• 121 lesh // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Rafa’s been reported as having a 10 match contract with the option of negotiating a three year contract. On the other hand, a three year contract with the option to walk away.

Which one is it?

• 122 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Watch his first interview, he fcukin loves us!!!

• 123 Toonacious T // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Beermonkey – hahahahahaaaa. Thanks to yourself and Manxpie for the effort but no matter what I try I can’t get it to play, maybe because I’m on the mobile site version. I’ll have a go on pc tomorrow but appreciate the responses lads.

• 124 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:29 AM

in his interview they mention a 3 year deal
    so i would imagine 3 years and able to walk if we go down

• 125 JackButler // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:30 AM

100% agree mate, it’s criminal to know they are getting so many days off after a pathetic season, the one thing with Raffa being the manager is that if we do survive a lot of players who have been stealing a wage will be shown the door and he will not tolerate anything less than 100% from each and every player during these last ten games

• 126 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:32 AM

this takes alot jail but here ya go

manxpie // Mar 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Well these last few days stink of hoping mclaren would walk before being pushed!
    Sounds like it will be rafa tho so apologies jail lol

• 127 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Note the traditional NUFC colours in the background in his interview. Whoo hoo. Whho fckun whoo

• 128 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:38 AM

ah right beer there’s me falling for a sky sports sensationalist headline again i actually think its a mental block now and they have actual power over me TV BARSTEWARDS!!

• 129 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Thank you manxpie, the insidious Jib reckons it was horse shit 😮

• 130 mattyNUFC // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM

nice to see you this excited

It’s a shame we still have the usual suspects kicking up dirt on today of all days (yes, calling out you, the Jibs, the Tsunkis, the Tuffs et al of the world).

• 131 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM

thats 3 jail are you even happier now?

just imagine next year (hopefully)

fuskin hell and if he gets the money to take us to the next level ………..

• 132 stan anderson // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:45 AM

Sorry to be negative ,but this is NUFC owed by Ashley the slug.,dont forget his history

• 133 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:45 AM

wat was horse shit the appiotment of rafa!?
    or that you wanted him?

• 134 Toonacious T // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:45 AM

JFA – cheers for that link. Good old reliable (and vimeo) got the job done. I have to say I like Rafa’s quietly confident approach. Anyone know when Chancel is back? I would like to see him and Lascelles as our cb pairing.

• 135 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM

or more likley wat he smells every morning when he wakes up?

• 136 JackButler // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Hopefully every single fan will now be 100% behind the manager as we are now in the position where WE are lucky to have a guy of this quality as opposed to everyone knowing we have a coach who is lucky to be at our club.

After watching that interview, dare I dream of surviving this season???

• 137 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:50 AM

I’m only half way through the interview, I fcukin love him, he’s going to make us great again !!
    If Ashley doesn’t pull the rug from underneath his feet

• 138 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:52 AM

oh and i hope martinez loses tomorrow so he really gets found out as a shite manager tbh
    coz with his squad he should be in the top 8 no ifs or buts

hardly any bad injuries and for me one of the best strikers in the league aswell as full backs and unbelievable young talent

can’t wait for him to fail lol

• 139 JackButler // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Martinez is the Spanish Pardew, one good season followed by a painful slide into defeat after defeat with no idea of how to turn things around, yes his side play pretty football at times, but given enough time at a club, his teams play pretty football that results in defeats

• 140 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:57 AM

jail he is ultra confident isn’t he?
    amazed to see charnley running into the car earlier with a big beetroot head on him he literally looked like a little toddler nervous about getting on a bouncy castle and he is our MD!!!! crazy like!

• 141 bettyswallocks // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Tsunki…… Sorry. My warped sense of humour.

• 142 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM

I’m battered over what we’ve been through, this guy has obviously came in and told the fat man what he thinks what WE can do rather than what the club can do and he’s had to go for it or bust, he’s obviously agreed to all Benitez’s demands otherwise I don’t think he’d be here. I’m fcukin excited because this is what I’ve wanted for four years, a manager who came on his terms whether it be Benitez, Klopp, FDB or Koeman even Remi Garde, not a patsy like what we’ve had to put up with.

• 143 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:04 AM

well he’s different to pardew tbf because he sets a style but that style in the end proves to be shite with no defence
    where as pardew only does well when his best team is available full stop
    i still hate him from the hiadara challenge but also because rotonda said how great he is declaring how his main striker was out for 3 months when infact it was 2 league games and cup game to his bad run lol i’m banking that as ya probably tell can tell

• 144 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM

Will you be in the dug out?
    Genuine surprise
    “Yes of course, I am a manager and a coach so obviously……
    Jesesus H Christ I’m buzzing ???

• 145 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM

🙂 🙂 🙂

• 146 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:11 AM

“One of my biggest decisions to come here was because of the fans”

• 147 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:14 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmm in the history of the premier league
    11 changes after march
    0% survived

but i’m all about circumstances and we have some good players and now a great manager

god how i wish it was west ham instead of us they get a free stadium pretty much and proper visual cretins in charge!!!!

• 148 brklyngeordie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM

always wanted the club to stay up all though am no fan of the regime nor McClaren but if he had somehow managed to keep us up by the hair on his tuft then still would have not looked forward to the next season but with Benitez in charge if we stay up will make the next season really interesting

• 149 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM

jail its gettig strange now like!

• 150 The Diamond dogs hoojars // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM

Remi Garde has no pressense what so ever he is sitting motionless every time i look at him, Villa are worse now then when he came, he will get his p45 and walk away with a wheelbarrow full of cash, shocka,

• 151 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:22 AM

Great interview. He’s structured, clear, focused on the task and through experience he knows how to organise teams directly and have a plan of action.

Breath of fresh air that he speaks with confidence and genuine direction to achieve goals. Great that he can see we have a number of good and capable players.

I think I smiled for the full 10 minute interview!

Love how he hasn’t wasted a second and had them in today, already working and planning.

Come on, Rafa! St James’s will be electric. Could be one of the best atmospheres in a long, long time for the derby.

If we do manage to stay up, I wonder whether he could tempt any of the his former players to come and improve us. Premier League and Rafa would be a big draw.

• 152 Magpie Season // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:26 AM

Who appointed him was it Ashley himself or Charnley?

• 153 Magpie Season // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:26 AM

Can’t wait for the Liverpool game.

• 154 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:27 AM

brkly tbf any manager should be able to build HIS team
    thats why there are managers and coaches
    it’s ridiculous that people who don’t know much about football have full control over the money and players
    i so hope that if we survive that charnley is replaced with a visionary and carr is sent out to do his actual job scouting players on order!

mclaren didn’t really have a chance but we all agree we seen improvements no?

this summer if we really want to move in the right way ashley needs to get a club management team in that can see where we are going and where we need to go

shocking how its taken this long!

• 155 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM

have u peed like an excited puppy

• 156 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM

the diamond garde looks like the most generic manager you could ever pick infact he looks like me on fifa for the last 5 years

• 157 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:31 AM

beer he’s been dragging his arse along the carpet for the last 20 minutes thats for sure!

• 158 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:35 AM

laurent tbh i think today was a publicity stunt and the players knew ya can’t do that within 3 hours
    but thats not taking away from such an appointment

• 159 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM

Something has happened between him and Ashley, the guy seems really confident and it comes across so much more believable than the last hapless tw@t. Basically I’ve got so much more confidence in a guy who’s won everything except the world cup than the ladt two third rate winners

• 160 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:37 AM

My wife is not happy..

• 161 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:39 AM

Will old bloggers come back now, we can finally see the back of welsh and Jib when there’s something good to talk about.

• 162 manxpie // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:47 AM

they’re are probably scared of your new persona jail

• 163 NUFCPaul // Mar 12, 2016 at 3:25 AM

Is anyone else worried that they’re going to wake up and it’ll be Friday morning again and all of this was just a dream?

Just been looking at Rafa’s record over the first ten games with each club he’s managed and the lowest points total was with Liverpool and that was still 17 points. I’ll take that in a heartbeat.

• 164 NUFCPaul // Mar 12, 2016 at 3:28 AM

Okay, going to bed now. If I wake up to a picture of Curbishley or Redknapp holding a black and white scarf above their head in the player’s tunnel, I might top myself.

• 165 headtheball // Mar 12, 2016 at 3:43 AM

This could be the start of the real EIGHT year plan as Big Mike has certainly wasted the last eight years.
    Might buy a Spanish flag with Rafa written across it as the wifes favourite tennis player is Nadal.
    Did you hear about the Spanish fireman who named his twin sons Hose A and Hose B?

• 166 Veltman // Mar 12, 2016 at 4:19 AM

I didn’t think he’ll ever come to manage Newcastle either,especially considering where we are in the league table.But I always had that good feeling we can attract top foreign mgrs if they are seriously consider it.
    What’s more pleasing is Benitez’s passion to coach, and wasted no time to get in to the field,
    met players and started his trainings.
    The club should also deserve big credit for dismissing the useless backroom staff like Black,Shoenmaker and retaining future talent like Cathro.The club definitely knows what they are doing in this matters & that’s flattering.
    This also is the start of an indication that the club will consider more top mgrs in the future.
    If we managed to survive this season,even more exciting times ahead for next season,which I already started rubbing my hands.

• 167 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM

It will be interesting to see the players who flourish under Rafa, and those who don’t. I wonder what he will make of the likes of Gouffran, Riviere, Obertan, Colback, Marveaux, Saivet etc. You’d think he’d be scratching his head wondering why they have Premier League contracts…

• 168 chicousa // Mar 12, 2016 at 4:47 AM

Still on a high from the news that McLaren was finally canned and Raffa new manager! Loved the fact that he called the boys in on their day off and got right down to the job of keeping NUFC up. And his attittude displayed in his interview re: the Toon army and how important the club is to the city, was spot on. I think he gets it….HWTL!!! 🙂

• 169 magscar // Mar 12, 2016 at 4:52 AM

Well so it wasn’t all a dream 🙂

Have watched his first video interview and like others am impressed with his confidence and grasp of our situation and strengths.

Have we finally stumbled on the right man for us fans. If Ashley hasn’t seen that interview he ought to as it might just inspire him to make sure what ever happens in next 10 games he keeps him.

Some not yet convinced I see but after what we have endured and the false dawns it isn’t surprising.

One thing is for sure Derby game will be rocking whatever happens at Leicester.

If it wasn’t already crucial enough the new manager bounce as well gives it a little more spice!

• 170 chicousa // Mar 12, 2016 at 4:55 AM

Aye, I hope in particular, to never see Gouffran’s name on a team sheet ever again!

• 171 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 12, 2016 at 5:17 AM

He needs to coax out the best from this lot.aside from a couple most of our defenders are championship standard .

• 172 brettsinsa // Mar 12, 2016 at 5:58 AM

Im stoked that he got the guys in on their day off! he has minimal time to put his foot up asses, that seriously after the last games showing need kicking!
    For me as a supporter that lives overseas (Africa) Rafa is a dream appointment my only hope is that he can survive this season, as I believe he has what it takes to “Wake the sleeping Giant” that is and should be Newcastle United 😉

• 173 Bluggen // Mar 12, 2016 at 6:11 AM

i still can’t believe we have a manager that isnt british. does anyone remember when this has been the case?

• 174 archaeomag // Mar 12, 2016 at 6:14 AM

Ruud Gullit – not a good omen …

previous post: Alan Shearer Reacts To Benitez Appointment

next post: Can Newcastle Beat Leicester On Monday Night?