The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Shelvey – Rafa’s A Top Manager – Players Are Excited

12:39 pm, Saturday, March 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey was signed by Rafa Benitez in May of 2010 at Liverpool when the former Charlton player was only 18, but within a couple of weeks Rafa departed the Merseyside club – and so Shelvey never really even trained with the former Liverpool and Valencia manager.

Rafa took his first training session at Benton yesterday, so he has already talked to and trained with the players – and it was good to see Andros Townsend, Cheick Tiote, Fabricio Coloccini and Kevin Mbabu back in training, so maybe they are fit to play?

Mitrovic shelvey-3

Jonjo Shelvey – we are lucky to get Benitez

This is what Jonjo has said on the Newcastle web-site this morning:

“It’s obviously sad to see Steve go, because he brought me into the Club and I owe so much to him for bringing me to this great football club, but ultimately it didn’t work out for him here.”

“But we’ve been lucky to get Rafa, because he’s a great organiser of teams, and you hear things from ex-players about how great he is. It’s just an exciting time for the fans and the players to learn more about Rafa Benitez and the way that he wants us to play.

“He must think a lot of the Club to come in and take over. He’s been at Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Napoli, Liverpool – he’s been at all these top clubs, and I think it speaks so highly of the stature of this Club for him to take on an opportunity like this.”

“I went up there in the May and signed and met him, but I didn’t know then that later on down the line he’d become my manager elsewhere. It’s a bit mad really, but it’s nice that I’ve met him before and I’ve got a little feel for him.”

“He’s a very tactical man. He knows what he wants you to do and he gets his point across very clearly, and he sets up teams for us not to get beat but on the other hand, he wants you to go and play as well.”

“It suits us down to the ground I think, so I’m sure he’ll be getting us to do that straight away and the quicker we do it, the easier it’ll be for us and the fans. Fingers crossed we can implement his game-plan on Monday night and kick on from there.”

“At this moment in time, we need to get points up on the board and I think the way we need to do that is be organised and everyone know their jobs, and as a team. I think that’s what he brings.”

“You see the honors he’s won, and you don’t win those without knowing what you’re doing. He’s a top manager and everyone’s excited in the changing room.” “It’s like when you go to school for your first day – everyone’s trying to impress the manager, everyone’s in early and in the gym.”

“It’s exciting to work with someone who’s worked at the top clubs – he was at Real Madrid earlier this season, and that speaks highly of the caliber of the manager he is.”

“He’ll bring a new lease of life to Newcastle. The players are excited, and everyone’s excited around the city.”

Rafa will bring a new lease of life at Newcastle for sure – it’s already started – and we are now waiting for his press conference for the game at Leicester City on Monday night.

It’s due in a couple of hours.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Leicester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Will Rafa Benitez Save Newcastle From Relegation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 sparky55 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM

WELL SAID JONJO…THE KING IS DEAD…LONG LIVE THE KING!

• 2 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Well this must be where we start making our own luck, Rafa will sort out the squad, and we may even see the best from flair players that have been forgotten under the Jurassic era.

Maybe the likes of Marveaux will get a chance to shine, and Thauvin when he returns.

• 3 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Steve Black’s message following his departure.

Black was working as a coach under the reign of McClaren, and he has been relieved of his duties.

All the very best to Rafa and his team. Let’s hope they can bring the success this great club&city deserves and needs. BlacknWhite forever !

— Steve Black (@B1ackie) March 11, 2016
    Thanks for all you messages … Really do appreciate it. The top supporters bar none #differentclass

— Steve Black (@B1ackie) March 11, 2016

• 4 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Rafa on talksport

• 5 Jib // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Blacky is the one showing class – well said Big Steve

• 6 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 12:58 PM

From his talksport interview

The Spaniard’s arrival at St James’ Park reignites and old feud with Allardyce, who first sparred during Benitez’s days at Liverpool and which continued with comments in the Black Cats boss’ autobiography published last year.

Allardyce slammed Benitez, saying the ex-Reds boss doesn’t deserve credit for Liverpool’s famous Champions League final win in Istanbul.

And, speaking EXCLUSIVELY on the Weekend Sports Breakfast, Benitez fuel the fire between the two Premier League managers, saying: “The feeling is very mutual between me and Big Sam.

“I don’t like him and he doesn’t like me.

“The problem for him is that I was very successful. I’ve won trophies and Big Sam, I don’t think he’s ever seen a trophy before.

“I cannot wait for the Derby because big boy, Big Sammy, I’m coming for you!”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/newcastle-manager-rafa-benitez-exclusive-i-cant-wait-tyne-wear-derby-big-sam-im-coming-you#WZQFUJyMJpvuVckS.99

• 7 Munster Mag // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Well said steve black.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM

firebug,
    I’m not sure which interview but the recorded one was an impressionist 🙂

• 9 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:05 PM

The recipe for the derby has just had a whole box of spice thrown in.

Controlling the players is one thing, but who will control the manages.

• 10 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM

firebug

its a joke

• 11 firebug666 // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Jail

Oh well, it was good while it lasted then. 😀

• 12 archaeomag // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:08 PM

FAKE!

Impressionist Darren Farley, ahem, new Magpies boss Benitez joined talkSPORT for an exclusive interview

Read more at

• 13 beermonkey // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM

so how is every1 enjoying cloud9 and the rafalution

• 14 Goofy // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Loving Benitez having a dig at big Sam. “I don’t think he’s ever seen a trophy before” lmfao pure class!!

• 15 bettyswallocks // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Charnley and Rafa in the manager’s office…………… This my office now, me manaccha now you tidy up.

• 16 Goofy // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Awe thought it was as for real. Seemed to good to be true 😀

• 17 lochinvar // Mar 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM

When Rafa got out the car and walked into SJP for the first time you could see his stature, personality and perhaps most importantly his energy.
    Those traits didn’t seem to exist with McClaren and that was part of the problem. Just compare the photos.
    If Rafa can energise the team and we have some top players then everyone has to more positive and that can only bode well .
    Long way to go in a short time but let’s get on board .

previous post: Rafa’s First nufcTV Interview In Full – Video