The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It´s Possible – I´ve Done The Maths – The Future Is Brilliant

6:33 am, Sunday, March 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Rafa Benitez said yesterday that he is not “scared” of relegation at Newcastle – that´s not the right word to use.

And the 55-year-old being the consummate winner he is,  doesn´t fear the significant challenge ahead of him in the next nine weeks, after he has replaced the woeful Steve McClaren at the famous Newcastle United club.

Rafa gave a bevy of interviews yesterday  and we have to say we are so impressed with this man.

Rafa´s positive, he´s down to earth – and it´s obvious he´s taken on the significant task at Newcastle, because he wants to make the club great again.

He is also a lot more charismatic than we realized – he´s the epitome of a successful and talented manager – and he´s at Newcastle.

🙂

Rafael-Benitez arrives at Benton

Rafa Benitez arriving at the Benton training grounds on Friday

But we all know he must save us from relegation first, otherwise he could simply walk away from Newcastle in May.

That would be unbearable for Newcastle fans – and that in itself is a huge understatement.

Rafa talked yesterday about not being scared of the situation at the Tyneside club:

“‘Scared’ is not the word. I know that it is a difficult situation, but believe me, I’ve done the maths. It is positive. After watching some games, the team is good, so why not? We can do it.”

“After that, the future is brilliant because you have the power, the fans, the stadium and very positive things.”

“You have the squad. You have to adapt a little bit, but there is great potential, so it is very important to concentrate on these 10 games.”

“You have to help me. We need to concentrate on these 10 games.”

“If everything is fine, as I expect, and we are in the Premier League, then we can talk about what my position is and the final decisions, whether I am involved in the signings.”

“I will be part of the Board, as was Steve, I will be there and in contact with the Managing Director Lee Charnley every day.”

“I don’t see a big issue with this as they will try to bring the best players for me, they will be the best players for the club.”

“But we have to, in this short space of time, take each game one at a time, be very positive and try to give everything from everyone.”

Benitez will sit on the Board – but if we do survive then things could change in the summer with how the club is run.

One way or another if Rafa stays and we survive he will be happy with the transfer situation – and he will have the authority on who comes in and who leaves.

It would be silly of people like Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley not to bow to Rafa´s obvious management experience, knowledge and achievements – we should be using all of this man´s talents to make the club great again.

Getting in the way of that is incompetent – and that is the cancer that has to be cut out at Newcastle if we are going to become great again.

That incompetence has been on display these last two years at the club.

We are confident that will all happen and certainly Charnley and Benitez seem to have a good rapport with each other – should Lee Charnley stay on as Managing Director in the summer.

But again – Rafa will be in charge of transfers if this thing happens and he stays on at Newcastle over the summer.

That will not be a problem.

There will be much bigger problems than that for Rafa to handle this summer at Newcastle – and he seems more than anxious to be able to take on that significant challenge.

Fans are just going to love this man – they already do.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Welsh-Toon // Mar 13, 2016 at 6:58 AM

I like his positiveness but he’ll discover on Monday night there’s a few shit players in the team that just aren’t good enough squad players.

• 2 Veltman // Mar 13, 2016 at 6:59 AM

Ed – What do u mean by “Rafa will be in charge of transfers”?
    He’ll decide which player stays and which player goes obviously.He’ll assess,evaluate and pick the players that he impressed from the scouted players by Carr.Carr won’t force Benitez to accept and coach the players that Carr wants.
    I don’t understand where the confusion is?

• 3 Slank // Mar 13, 2016 at 7:06 AM

Quite rightly he is not “scared” of relegation as he has a clause in his contract that he can walk away.

He can then say that no matter who was the manager / head coach Newcastle were already doomed as all the media pundits had quite rightly predicted from the first game of the season.

• 4 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Mar 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM

The team shortcomings are obvious. Years of not investing in the club has taken its toll. Our back four is laughable.

There are I say 3-4 potential solid players the rest should not be in the PL. The worst thing now is , its left so late for the poor bloke to fix.

I feel sorry for him in a way, because he is a great gentleman and a great Manager. He has to pull a miracle here….If he does so…I think it will go into history books.

I am really fearful of the rest of the games. However seen city being so pathetic vs Norwich, gives me hope for us playing at home.

• 5 firebug666 // Mar 13, 2016 at 7:16 AM

Welsh-Toon

I agree about the positivity of Benitez, but he will not suffer fools lightly, neither will he bow to player pressure to play every game.

I have a feeling he will throw up a couple of surprises with team selection over the coming weeks, as favourites and player committees will become a thing of the past.

One of the reasons I am so happy about this appointment is that Rafa will not be just another one of the lads on the training ground.

When you see the recent photos of the players at training you can see and immediate change, they are not all having a laugh as in the past, now there is a lot more concentration on their faces and less of the smiling.

I’m not saying they are not happy, or don’t smile, just there is less of it as it’s been replaced.

Also the new coaching staff putting them through their paces look confident and dare I say competent too, and every player seems to be working harder.

Good time ahead I think. Don’t be surprised to see fringe players (normally left out) starting or on the bench.

• 6 ArtyH // Mar 13, 2016 at 9:21 AM

As we all know its a fantastic statement from the club which to be fair took us all by surprise, I just pray it is not too late, that would be the ultimate irony, Charnley finally getting it right but too late. I think there will have been a lot of home truths shared on the training ground, as Rafa will have done his homework and knows who is working and who is shirking. That aspect of the team MUST be addressed and Rafa is the man to do it. It would not surprise me if he saw one of the likely lads not giving 100%, he would sub him straight away, and really thats what the fans want as it sends a strong message to the rest of the players exactly what is required. Lets face it ON PAPER we have a reasonable squad, NOT great but it must be better than Norwich and Sunderland, that is our league this year, nothing else. I think we need to get more points than Sunderland and its P.L next year, its as simple as that. Come ON RAFA.

• 7 widowmagandapoke // Mar 13, 2016 at 2:57 PM

If Benitez has the power that the former incumbents didn’t, what’s the point of Humpty Dumpty staying on? In fact what is the point of him anyway?

previous post: Bentitez – It´s Obvious Why I Joined Newcastle