Benitez Joining Newcastle A Big Boost For This Player

One player who was simply delighted that Rafa Benitez joined Newcastle United as manager on Friday was our young Spanish star – Ayoze Perez – who knew about Rafa when he managed his home town club Tenerife way back in 2000.

Rafa got them promoted to La Liga in his first season there – and then he joined Valencia.

ayoze perez -newcastle-norwich_3365597

Ayoze Perez – a big boost for this youngster

Rafa was asked what he thought of Newcastle’s young rising star:

“I was pleased because I spoke to people face to face. I was surprised by Ayoze, because I thought he was less mature, but he is mature.”

“He analysed the situation with me and it he was good and quite clear, he was like the players who have more experience. I was impressed because he understands what is going on.”

“He was very clear about what he needs and I will try to give it him. I was also manager of Tenerife so I know a lot of people there and we have talked about how good he is.”

One of the areas that Ayoze has to improve on is his consistency and he knows that, but with six goals this season he’s our second top goalscorer.

So maybe Benitez is hoping Ayoze can get the goals for us over the last 10 games of the season.

We have to score to win – so it’s important that somebody starts banging in those goals for Newcastle.

It would be great if one of those players can be 22 year-old Perez, who may even get a start tonight at the King Power Stadium.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Leicester?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Will Rafa Benitez Save Newcastle From Relegation?

Loading ... Loading ...

Do You Want Shelvey To Be Made Permanent Captain At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Munster

Please please please do not get the AP stuff started again. Yes, he was bang average or just below as you say, and had he still been here churning out his overcautoin ball, we would be 10th-15th every season and bored to tears. Its just a shame Mash went for JC and SM and has left it this late to do the right thing. But you are right about us having a manager to get behind and hopefully unite over. Let the Rafalution commence

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Why does perez have a face like a pile-sufferer in this photo?

• BenbulbenMag

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I “lol”ed at Rafalution.

Heady times. I can’t remember the last time I saw so many posters on this blog positive and hopeful. Long may it continue.

• Blofal

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Because he just squeezed a goal out of nothing!

• Ian Toon

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM

For the superstitious. Benitez has not lost a first game in charge as a Manager and he has mentioned this fact to the squad frequently in recent days. Success breeds a positive cycle of confidence and BeNitez has been working on this since the first get together.
    “Each club is different,” admitted Benítez. “If I’m here, it’s because I believe these players are good enough to stay up.
    “I’ve seen them and I’ve seen their qualities and little things that we have to change.”

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I much prefer Wijnaldum for captain. Shelvey as vice captain. The only thing against my choice is that Gini is too quiet on the pitch and we’ve had enough of that. But I think he is much more consistent than Shelvey.

• John Akomfrah

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:45 AM

there is…….always a first time

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM

I really really hope we survive this season. It would be a huge shame to miss out now from a potential regular top 10 team pushing for europe every season under Rafa.

I just have this sneaky feeling it’s too little too late. Hope I am wrong though.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM

JP

I think Shelveys inconsistency is more down to how Smac set up. Same players, but playing differently each time. One week there are runners, the next everyone sitting back. I think we will see a vast improvement in all our players’ consistency under rafa.

• Goldmbemba

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM

JP
    id feel better if there were a couple more teams around us then there are. Swansea and palace are kind of reachable but no one expects either of them to go down.

Its that 4 team mini league with only 1 survival spot that scares me.

• ArtyH

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Rafa the gaffa will sort it out and it starts tonight.

• hibbitt

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM

JP…from The Rock

Wijnaldum has only been consistent at home in away games he’s had some stinkers think he is one of the players that could benefit most under rafa….as for captain it will be interesting who rafa picks

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Goldmbemba

It might be a good aim for nufc to try and catch one of them. Look up rather than down. Aiming for 16th, imo, might galvanise the squad, and if we fall one place short, we still survive. Just a thought.

• DeanToon88

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Sorry guys but there is no chance we are going to beat leicester, they are in top position for a reason and just because we have got a new manager doesn’t mean we are going to suddenly become an incredible team.

We will lose today and beat the mackems i can just sense it.

• Goldmbemba

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM

YCMIU
    Couldnt agree more, good mentality.

Im torn on the Rafa get out clause. On one hand he’s managing with no personal pressure which could infect the players in a good way. On the other hand, they know deep down that he has the option to walk away that they dont have.

A fascinating psychological situation amongst the bottom 4 teams and within our own camp.

• richyg01

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Really hope Rafa the Gaffa can fire up these lads:

> Gini,
    > De Jong,
    > Shelvey,
    > Mitro,
    > Perez.

Hopefully he can also instill some belief in the defenders.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I think very few managers would publically condemn their own players, but we don’t know what went on behind closed doors and perhaps more tellingly the horrible little hooligan was let go not long afterwards.

Did SAF publically condemn Keane when he basically broke that guy (Alf – what’s his name) in half or Mancini when De Jong decapitated HBA. In a word no. ”Honest” AP would never do it either and nor would the vast majority. Not saying it’s a good thing but Martinez is hardly alone.

Martinez gets a hard time on here but I thought Everton were fantastic against Chelsea.

• Thump

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I’ll be celebrating a point like a victory tonight. If we lose – fair’s fair. As long as I see some application in the squad, I’m happy.

• ToonAndy

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I actually really want to see this team tonight…

——————————–ELLIOT——————————–

JANMAAT——-SAYLOR——–LACELLES——–MBABU

——————————SHELVEY——————————

SISSOKO——————–GINI——————TOWNSEND

——————————-DEJONG——————————-

——————————-DOUMBIA——————————

KILL OR BE KILLED ATTITUDE!

• Ian Toon

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Interesting comments from Benitez in the media this morning when he was asked about transfer operations going forward.
    Under Newcastle’s previous model, Graham Carr, the club’s chief scout, had enjoyed full responsibility for recruitment. Benítez will expect substantially more input. Though he was quick to point out that he has no objection to working with the 71-year-old to identify transfer targets, he intends to make plain his belief that Newcastle’s approach needs to “change a little bit”.
    “I have not spoken to him, but I know him and have friends who know him. I don’t see any problem,” he said. “He is a football man, we will talk about football, we will talk about players, and I think we will be fine. I understand why the club is going in this direction. I have to explain why we have to change a little bit, and I think that will be good for everyone.”
    Ashley and Carr are among the few people Benítez has not held meetings with over the past 72 hours.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Dean Toon

That’s the spirit…

Unbelievable some people taking negativity to a whole new level. Yes it should have been done sooner but it is what it is is. It aint over till the fat lady sings.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM

toon andy

Apart from saylor, i like that team. we should go for it, not just sit off waiting for the inevitable.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM

We might not win tonight but at least we can look forward to the game knowing that there is a renewed belief with a manager we can all trust. That game against Stoke highlighted to everyone that Mclaren was not setting us up to win away from home, if ever a manager was found out that was the game it was done.

• DeanToon88

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Rotonda heights

YOU have to put things into perspective though, its fine been optimistic and I would love us to win, but leicester are a good team and they are looking to win the league, we are looking to get out of the relegation zone, it will be very interesting to see how we play under a top manager though, there should be a noticeable difference in performance levels and it should be a good game.

• Goldmbemba

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Maybe playing leicester at their own game is the way forward. their defenders rarely get forward, and keep their discipline. We can play a decent bit of counter attacking football at times, just need to keep the discipline a bit more.

would be delighted with 0-0 tonight.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:08 PM

“If I’m here, it’s because I believe these players are good enough to stay up.”

Cynics would say he’s here for the big bucks but this guy has already earned more than he would know what to do with, so i think he genuinely sees us as a project

• Rotonda heights

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:09 PM

dean

to be fair i didn’t properly read through to the bit where you also added we will beat sunderland

• Laurent Robert 32

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Even with this interview, the key is how and why a player can be improved and it is again touched upon here. Quality manager, and you know areas of their game will be studied and tweaked. Bodes well.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:12 PM

All these worries about our model not changing and Carr having control etc, I have full belief in the fact that Benitez has demanded assurances unlike his three predecessors who were desperate for a job. The guy wouldn’t be here if he didn’t think we could win a cup or qualify for CL unlike Pardew and that last tw@t who just wanted to try and establish themselves at the Hughes, Pulis and Allardyce dining table, one may have got himself a seat at the end and the other should never be given another managers job in the PL again unless he gets someone promoted. I doubt the Boro fans want him back the way I’ve heard them speak about him.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM

To counter Leicester’s work rate we will need to go 3 in the middle

Rafa does like to play with a deep lying play maker , holding mid and box to box midfielder next to each other

Shelvey will be one of them then it will be either Anita/Saviet or Colback as the holding mid and if Sissoko could get the finger out he may get the box to box role

Then with plenty of pace up front with Townsend , Doumbia and Perez as the front 3 all pressing and ready for the counter attack

Either that Wijnaldum instead of Sissoko

• The Newcastle Armchair

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Toon to win 3-1 and therell be a “bookies street crash”

• The Newcastle Armchair

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Seriously though, why is everyone writing us off tonight? Leicester are a team of average players working very hard for their manager and league position.

On paper, our squad is better than theirs plus we have a manager in whom I believe the players will work hard for, just like Leicester.

Interesting game tonight, waiting for kick off like its Christmas.

• martoon

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:26 PM

I have a feeling Rafa will play very defensively tonight – probably with 2 holding midfield players. I don’t think it will be a classic but at the moment we need points not free flowing football!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Posi/nega feelings aside, I am sure we can all agree that we have a better chance now than we did last monday.

• Ian Toon

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Benitez will get the best out of a number of underperforming players under Macca. The likes of Sissoko and Wijnaldum in particular who’s form deserted them during the closing months and certainly have so much more to offer. That and being better organised and combative.

• martoon

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Incidentally do we know for definite if Townsend is fit or just wishful thinking?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Martoon

Yeah I agree. I think the game has come too soon in his tenure for us to suddenly open up and attack a team aggresively, so a hard fought point would do me tonight.

• martoon

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:31 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp @34 – Yes definitely sometimes I think I’m dreaming that Rafa is actually our manager. We don’t have the greatest defence but I think Rafa will organise them better.

• beermonkey

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM

RH

have to say i am impressed by rafa
    he really seems to have done his homework on our players
    i think your right on the project front

he wont goto china at this stage as his family are still young and wanted a job in the uk we are a great project for him for a few years

• beermonkey

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:53 PM

jib

a few threads back you post a link about obertans wages as i am curious i looked at the squad

they have armstrong earning 2.5mill a year
    they have sammy earning 5mill a year
    capt colo earning 1.25 mill a year

could you not find a better site on google i dont think that one is very reliable 🙂