The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer – If Rafa Gets It Right He Will Be An Absolute Hero

8:02 am, Monday, March 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

In his column in the Sun today Alan Shearer has said that in his conversation with Rafa Benitez on Friday, he told Rafa he would be an absolute hero if he gets it right at Newcastle and builds a successful team.

Well Alan´s right there – and the former Newcastle striker also hinted Rafa could even bring a trophy to Newcastle – wouldn´t that be something – and Alan wanted to be in the City when and if it happens.

Alan Shearer +Emeralds+Ivy+Ball+Arrivals+xjLhBDsSJyPl

Alan Shearer – Rafa can be a hero

Here´s some of what Alan wrote today in The Sun:

“I know Black Cats boss Sam Allardyce will not be happy there has been a change at Newcastle, because had there not been, they were doomed and he was safe.”

“I said in this column last week that I thought we were finished — but now I have fresh hope. I have that hope because Newcastle landed themselves a great manager.”

“I’m stunned he has actually taken the job but also very glad he has.”

“Rafa and I spoke on Friday just before he gave his press conference.”  “He wanted a chat about the club and the fans — and I related it to his experience at Liverpool.”

“When I played for Blackburn I lived in Formby, near Liverpool, and the people there reminded me of the Geordies.”

“Hardworking people who love their football club with a passion, very loyal and honorable people.”  “I told him that if he gets it right at Newcastle, he will become an absolute hero.”

“I told him I wanted to be in the City the day a manager brings a trophy to Newcastle — and the impact it would have if he did.”

“I related the fact 500,000 people filled the streets to welcome us home after we had LOST two FA Cup finals.”

“He told me that it was the potential of what Newcastle could be that attracted him to the club.”

Rafa is well aware of the fantastic potential of Newcastle, and he knows it´s very like Liverpool.

It´s just that they have won 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 3 UEFA Super Cups, 11 League One titles, 6 FA Cups and 8 League Cups since 1970 and we have won nothing – nowt – zilch.

Otherwise we are exactly the same.

🙂

Tags: Alan Shearer · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 mindshaft // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Shearer is a fan and is practically doing the ambassador role for the club
    Think it’s time for Moncur to go, isn’t he meant to be ambassador… in fact I’ve no idea what he does for the club other than drain money out and suck up to Charnley and Carr.
    At least Shearer doesn’t need the money and can actually sell the club on a national level via media where nobody outside of Newcastle has heard of Moncur
    Sorry mate, thanks for turning out back in the day , you’ve had a good run for your money and lived a life many of us can only dream of , however time to get off the cash cow .

• 2 firebug666 // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Lots and lot of talk and speculation still filling the papers.

Just let Rafa and his team get out there and do what is needed, then we can enjoy next season.

For me survival starts on Sunday, a MUST, MUST win game against the Makems, then onwards to Norwich and another 3 points please.

• 3 firebug666 // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:23 AM

mindshaft

100% in agreement mate. Give the ambassadorial role to Shearer and put Moncur out to pasture.

• 4 hibbitt // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:25 AM

firebug666

if survival starts on sunday the revival must start tonight a point would give us the lift we need

• 5 DicBDownCambodia // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Im hoping for a shock tonight.

Got my money on Toon win and over 2.5 goals.
    Probably more likely to finish the game with 9 men than that to happen, but the world works in mysterious ways Elwood…

• 6 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:31 AM

mindshaft

Some of you cannot help yourselves can you?

On today of all days , all you can do is scrabble around for a bit of negativity to have a pop at the club.

Bob Moncur was the last captain to parade a trophy in the Toon , he scored 3 goals in the 2 leg final against Ujpest – from sweeper !!!

He played 315 games for the Toon and Scotland (then 2 seasons for some shit team south of the Tyne).

He went to Hearts to manage then down to Plymouth but came back to Gateshead.

Got to wonder which team you really support ?

• 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:32 AM

It would be great if Alan came in in some capacity, but would it affect his tv duties I wonder?

I love that in Rafa’s interviews he doesn’t just say waffle and generalise ‘playing well’ or the old ‘getting stuck in’ line. He’s specific and concise about which areas need improving and what exactly needs to be done.

It is exactly the train of thought that an analyst and developer of skills thinks. No surprise that he’s been hugely successful previously. He has the confidence to know that it has been proved to work.

• 8 firebug666 // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM

hibbitt

I agree mate, just not sure how much can be changed in three days.

I expect us to be more compact tonight, hitting them on the break but defending a point from the start.

Concentration levels should be higher, but it only take one player to switch off for a second.

I am expecting to see a better performance, and grasp tiny bits of hope from things like injured players dropping their crutched to train with Benitez.

The player (like the fans) will have been lifted by this appointment, lets hope we see a response to that tonight mate.

I’m not banking on any points from tonight, but would love to see the team trying and improving.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Jib

I think the point being everyone has heard of Shearer, certainly the under 50’s demographic, moncur not so much.

If we can somehow stay up I hope carr , Charnley, Beardo and watson will depart pronto and let RB do a complete root and branch overhaul of the club. Would be so good to finally see some professionalism at the club.

• 10 martoon // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM

firebug666 @8 – I agree we may get beat tonight but what I’m looking for is a change in attitude by the players and more organisation especially in defence. As said earlier the crunch games are against the makems and Norwich!

• 11 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM

I would love Shearer to be attacking coach a la Teddy Sheringham at West Ham when there was a noticeable upturn in their strike rate.
    Apparently Mitro was a childhood fan.

• 12 Munster Mag // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM

its somewhat concerning to see Rafa already acknowledging that he does not have the title of manager, is going to work with the board on transfers etc. I think we were all hoping for an explosion of this aspect of NUFC. That said, i suppose he is being political and freeing himself to be a coach for 10 weeks and get everything focussed on that. It could be a very interesting summer because quite clearly, even though desperate to get Rafa in, Charnley has not departed from the coach/board model.

• 13 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Fair point Rotonda
    I guess some folks default setting is “whinge” mode .
    You cannot really blame them for it after the shit they’ve had to put up with for so amny seasons.

• 14 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Munster
    How much input over transfers do you think RB had at Real or Liverpool or Inter – he was given free rein at Napoli and they complained about the number of Spaniards in the side.

• 15 firebug666 // Mar 14, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Munster

I don’t think there is much concern there to be honest, Rafa was introduced as a manager by LC, I think he is just stating that at this moment he is a coach, because that is what is needed right now.

He cannot and probably does not want to be distracted from that task in hand (saving Newcastle from the drop) until we are safe.

• 16 martoon // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Jib @11 – I can’t really see Shearer coming back while Mike Ashley is the owner. I think he took the huff when Ashley didn’t retain him as manager when we were relegated.

• 17 nut meg // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Jib
    Surprised you didn’t mention Moncur signing Beardsley starting off his professional career while he was manager of Carlisle.We still don’t know what BM actually does at the club to earn money.

• 18 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Interesting read

Rafa “Won’t get fooled again”

• 19 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Jib, I assume you are an old bastard, as I am. I think we see people like Moncur and Supermac differently from younger folk who really only know them for their post-playing career, especially if they don’t have elders around them who know the history. Like you I’ll always have fondness and respect for Bobby Moncur, but in truth he probably shouldn’t be on the board. For the younger generation it makes sense for Shearer to be in that sort of role, although it’s unlikely I imagine given his history with Ashley.

• 20 Toon_Tom // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM

what formations does Rafa tend to put out?

• 21 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM

I think Benitez will want to keep Carr and his contacts while also using the guy that he gets to scout for him normally he is currently without a club but I imagine when we stay up he will be part of the scouting team as well

Carr has picked some good players for us and some duds but with Benitez he might be able to offer better guidance on players who will be suited to the league for example I could have imagined Rafa pushing for Payet or Ayew over getting Thauvin

• 22 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:08 AM

The overrated Frenchman // Jib, I assume you are an old bastard, as I am.

I resemble that remark 😀

• 23 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:09 AM

There was an article a few years ago that mentioned Rafa and the changes he made to the academy at Liverpool it looks like they are now reaping the benefits of that also he has an eye for a player most of the best ones he got from Liverpool apart from Torres were not that expensive

Also nearly signed Dani Alves for 8 million a year before Barca got him !

• 24 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Tom
    4-2-3-1

• 25 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM

I bet the player who gave the biggest cheer when Benitez was announced was Siem de Jong !

• 26 richyg01 // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Any truth that Arma has been recalled?

• 27 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:30 AM

I’d like to Siem be revitalised. Another former captain of a famous club. Even the three or four game run before his eye injury I thought he did better and I don’t think we lost those games either. He can be an intelligent player who can get some goals. I hope he does well, I like him a lot.

• 28 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Jib, interesting you say that about de Jong. On another post I posed the question “Will Benitez value his technical ability where McClaren didn’t?” Not a rhetorical question at all, a genuine one.

• 29 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Siem started those 2 games – against Liverpool 2-0 and Spurs 1-2 !

• 30 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM

JIB

Your default setting is oversimplify and slag-off mode, PMQ style.

There is no doubt that Shearer’s media profile and EPL top scorer give him a unique position to promote the Toon.
    The saddest thing about Shearer’s career is that he had to go to Southampton to learn his craft.
    And Moncur was team captain at Hereford. No-one has an unblemished record.

• 31 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Oh jeff you are a busy boy today. I tried to be nice but I gave up. Here’s today’s boulder rolling on you…

Yesterday in a display of ‘which team do you support’ and acting in the interests of the clubs players, you described Gabriel Obertan as a drooling Cretin, to which I expressed my non-googled recollection that he had attended University at some point so could hardly be an idiot.

Your reply was to suggest I thought Claire Fontaine Academy was a University. No, Jeff No I don’t. You know what’s coming, don’t you?

Bordeaux Montaigne ( or #3 as it is also known, notable for it’s declining to join the Bordeaux University amalgamation) is where a young Gabriel carried out his first year studies, which he dropped for his footballing exploits.

Aaaaannd the quarter back is Toast!

• 32 Goldmbemba // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Interesting on Rafa’s coaching philosophy from an old liverpool interview:

How would you describe your coaching philosophy?
    When I think of myself as a coach, the first thing I would say is that I am a worker. I have a very good staff and every day we ask: Why this? Why that? We are always questioning, always looking for new solutions, new ways to proceed. We pay attention to all the details. Regarding football philosophy, in Spain there are two considerations: Firstly, the short passing game or the long passing style? Secondly, to win or to perform well? I think you can play both styles of play, short and long. And our approach is to play well and win. It is important to have control over the situations in the game. If a team plays deep against you, you may need to circulate the ball; when you are being pressurised, sometimes the long ball is the answer. To know what to do in each situation is the key. I am very pragmatic in my coaching work.

• 33 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM

I’ve thought that de Jong could play the sort of role that Kevin Nolan did very well when he was here. Nolan had Carroll as the blunt instrument to pressure the defence and open things up, de Jong would have Mitrovic.

• 34 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Jib, Siem also started the Villa game after Spurs which was a 1-1 draw. He wasn’t in the following game against Everton which we lost.

• 35 Goldmbemba // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM

ToF
    But does DeJong have the aggression that Nolan did? I dont think we’ve seen enough to know. Id love to see him succeed in the team though. Give him sissoko’s place until he shapes up

• 36 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:55 AM

@GoldMbemba

We have needed someone like Benitez who knows what he is doing like we have Mitrovic who is good in the air and thrives off crosses but we play a passing game and isolate him so there is no one to get the 2nd ball and then when we put Perez up front we try the long ball!!? Mclaren never seemed to adapt to the opposition as well especially during the game !

Pretty confident we would have beat Stoke last month if Benitez was in charge

• 37 Rotonda heights // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM

tsunki

even stranger then that obertan pervades the air of a headless chicken with the ball at his feet. But then look at Gazza, barely a brain cell to be housed but genius footballer. Go figure.

• 38 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Also annoying that De Jong never got to play with Perez or Wijnaldum for any length of time Mclaren never seemed to play all 3 even against Villa who were there for the taking!!

• 39 Slank // Mar 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Munster @ 12

What Benitez says shouldn’t be a surprise as he is effectively only here for ten games. At the end of the season he will stay or walk irrespective of where we finish in the league.

The way the contract is apparently written enables him to do this.

His future will be determined by two games, Sunderland and Norwich. If we win them then these two teams will be under more pressure whereas we will be under less and will play better accordingly.

But there will be no guarantee he will stay.

• 40 outside the box // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:04 AM

can only hope rafa and his team…can get to see the need for a dominant left sided centre back who is good in the air…cannot believe manager after manager had spent cash on left footed wingers that can play on right and vice versa or midfield players when the priority is clearly at the back….come back john mcnamee….lol …thats my gripe for the year .

• 41 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Tsunki
    12 months and dropped out
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• 42 Slank // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Moncur was a hero to me as I was at all the inter city home games but it’s reasonable to assume that few outside of Tyneside and few in Tyneside below the age of 40 know him unlike Shearer who is well known by all football fans in the country more by his ability in front of goal than in front of the TV cameras !

• 43 Goldmbemba // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Interesting how sunderland have brought in Eboue, made me wonder if there are any other out of contract bodies we could bring in to shore up the defence.
    Has Vidic found a new club yet?
    There has to be some 34+ experienced lump we can bring in til the end of the season, nurse them through their old age? Anything is better than the Taylor and Colo show – i like taylor in a way but not confident in him at all.

• 44 hibbitt // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Slank

that’s were the crowd /fans come in make newcastle rafa’s place !!!!!

• 45 Munster Mag // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I still cant put much faith in de jong due to his lack of athleticism. I think we wont see much change from smc’s teams…maybe mbabu at left back and dummett in centre? I think we can get a point tonite. Hopefully a more aggressive team, who will not fold if we let one in.

• 46 Goromagpie // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Team for tonight
    Elliot
    Daryl. Lasc. Colo mbabu
    Jonjo
    Sis. Seim. Towns
    Wini
    Mitro

• 47 beermonkey // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM

i think tonights pick will be influenced by how cathro see things and what rafa has seen

but the biggest thing we need to see is players running through walls for the cause

cant wait for tonight

• 48 Goldmbemba // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM

If rafa likes 4-2-3-1, ill guess at:

Elliot
    Jan – Colo – Lasc/Taylor – Mbabu/Dummett
    Tiote Shelvey
    Sissoko – Wini – Townsend
    Perez

• 49 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Jeff. So? Did he drop out because he couldn’t measure up to academia? Or because he thought there’d be a ton more money on football? I think there might have been a level of intelligence there. He’s been taking this club for a decent wage so he’s no mug. Or oil painting for that matter.

• 50 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Bordeaux Montaigne Uni (No3) is so crap the Bordelais jokingly call it Number 2.

Obertan actually last 2 months

Aand the QB has sold the overweight Tight End another dummy and the Chunky Chap is on his arse again.

• 51 hibbitt // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Munster Mag

at this stage that’s as much as we can hope for he only has the players in the squad its how he plays them and how they play for him ………iam hoping for a point tonight which would give us a huge lift ready for the derby

• 52 cyprus // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Alan, no sxxt man 🙂 Seriously? 😉

• 53 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Gabriel Obertan serial drooler and oxygen thief.

Since August 2011 53 games 2 goals and earned £2.3 million

• 54 Ron Knee // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Tsunki

Re Obertan: When watching a video of the team’s trip to the USA last year, I noticed that Obertan was reading a book in the plane. Yes, a real book with no pictures!

• 55 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Jeff I applaud you for your wriggling and I totally understand it as you have had your drawers yanked to your ankles so many times you have elastic braces fitted as standard. But he was accepted as a university student. Therefore he is no Drooling Cretin. Accept your roundly smacked ass and pull you kecks back up and we can all move on from your latest episode of hilarious pratfalling. Has it also occurred that you are also proving his intelligence by outlining his ability to take the club for a lot of money as a ‘footballer’ you slap and clatter like a loose tin sheet on a shed. Desist.

• 56 jane // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Jib have you looked at the win rate of matches Obertan plays which was good last season at least. for whatever reason when he plays the results seem to have been better.

• 57 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I was moved to point out jeffs hypocrisy @6 where he leaps to the defence of a nufc player and questions another poster about his loyalty.

• 58 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Ah Jane, stats! Don’t be cruel to jeff he’s down already 🙂

• 59 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Anyway, where we’re we? Oh yes Benitez in Toon! I was in the Milburn Suite trying out whiskies on Saturday, couldn’t stay around, or even upright to be fair, to wait with the gathering throng for his press conference. Had a train to catch unfortunately. Enjoyed the posters around the ground, quite a few families taking pictures with the kids and all that. Tangible buzz about the place. Security guy I was talking to said it was all pretty upbeat and spoke about Ashley in much the same way as most on here, as a distant and aloof character who might have just pulled off a masterstroke
    We shall see.

• 60 Ian Toon // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Tsunki- Please give it a rest. Knowledge is power and I personally enjoy tapping into a variety of information sources. You’re morphing into being a protest blogger. You’re so much better than that in mho.

• 61 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Ron. I think he reads to Steven Taylor, it’s one of those pop-up ones I believe.

• 62 Jib // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Tsunki

You mock Lee Charnley incessantly.

Yet defend Squidward valiantly.

Your stupidity knows no bounds.

Lee Charnley’s last appearance on NUFCtv – this week – shaking Rafa’s hand .

Squidwards last appearance on NUFCtv – on tour in the USA – whining cos he had to leave his FIFA game and go and sit on the bench against Portland.

Who is of more benefit to NUFC ?

Squidward earns 3 times as much as Charnley !

• 63 Munster Mag // Mar 14, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Strange, but it shows how perception is everything. When Perez was played up front ( v stoke? ) away from home, I thought ” no chance, and SMC is a halfwit” . If Rafa does it, i’m not so angry. Irrespective of formation , its 11 v 11 , and we need to get after Leicester tonight. I dont think they are as good as people think, especially recently, and reckon Spurs will win the league, but hope not.

• 64 Tsunki // Mar 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM