The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

How Benitez Is Wasting No Time In Sorting Out Newcastle

2:21 pm, Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 97 Comments

Rafa Benitez’ first priority since taking the job at Newcastle last Friday is to get our players organized, instill in them more confidence and have them playing well as a team as quickly as possible.

Given only three days with the players before Monday night’s game at Leicester the team looked good – and we were a little unlucky not to pick up a point with a fine second half display.

It’s accepted that Newcastle have been poorly managed at the higher levels for some time now – and when Rafa came in on Friday he asked the staff at the club while he was at Benton – how come the Manchester City game had not been rearranged?

A very good question.

rafa benitez nufcTV

Rafa Benitez – sorting out Newcastle – very quickly

Especially since it was going to be a really important game for us in the run-in, as we try to avoid another humiliating relegation.

Yesterday the club announced this on their web-site:

Newcastle United’s Barclays Premier League clash with Manchester City will take place on Tuesday, 19th April, kicking off at 7.45pm.

The Magpies had been due to take on the reigning champions at St. James’ Park on Sunday, 28th February, but the game was postponed after City reached – and subsequently won – the Capital One Cup final against Liverpool, which took place at Wembley on the same day.

Now Manuel Pellegrini will bring his team to Tyneside in April after the new date was confirmed, with the game set to be screened live on Sky Sports.

Ticket details for this fixture will be announced in due course.

Why it hadn’t been rearranged before Rafa arrived we don’t know, because we have known since Manchester City beat Hull City 4-1 on December 1st in the quarter-finals that our game on February 28th would need to be rearranged.

Yes – Manchester City are still in the Champions League and they reached the quarter-finals by beating Dynamo Kiev 3-1 on aggregate with a 0-0 home draw last night, but there’s no excuse for not having it rearranged by March 11th, when Rafa arrived at the club.

Benitez had Newcastle rearrange that game within four days of his arrival.

That’s a small but good example of how Rafa will get this club sorted out very quickly, if we can avoid a relegation in May and he therefore stays with us.

He doesn’t dither around – he gets things done- he’s decisive.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

97 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sliema // Mar 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Erm? Really? Rafa has an influence over the scheduling of our premier league matches? Sorry Ed but I don’t think so?

• 2 Sliema // Mar 16, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Jib from previous

He must have played with some awful left backs in his time then. Odd to see so many Liverpool there actually, he didn’t play for them that long did he?

Oh and the other cm was Sigurdson, who is a quality player imo.

• 3 toonincheek // Mar 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Sliema –

Ed didn’t suggest that Rafa re-organiosed the match himself, just that he saw that a new date hadn’t been sorted so he had a word with whoever was responsible to tell them to get their finger out.

• 4 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Twice as many games for Swansea as Liverpool but he was on Merseyside from 18 to 21 the most impressionable stage (and usually the best) of ones life.

• 5 cyprus // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM

St. James must be a volcano next game. Biggish game.

• 6 Toon_Tom // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Man City reigning champions??

• 7 Mag52 // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM

A rearranged game v Man.City in the week of their euro cup quarter final would be handy.
    Get working on it Lee.

• 8 G // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Amazing what you can achieve with a man who knows football involved.

• 9 lesh // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Toonincheek

I don’t think Ed’s said that Rafa rearranged the Citeh game.

He was begging the question why did it need Rafa to point the need to rearrange it and more to the point, why Charnley hadn’t done it!

Another example of Charnley’s failure to ensure a professionally run Club.

• 10 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM

I must admit , ive noticed Rafa does things when every one else is thinking about it .a sign of things to come I hope . Carry on , don’t wait for an answer , just do it ,., I love him already

• 11 lesh // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Toonincheek

My last post should have been addressed to Silema, not you with whom I agree about the rearranged Citeh game.

• 12 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Rafa was clearly looking at the best time to play city to our

• 13 lesh // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Stuart no 9

Rafa’s coming across as a breath of fresh air. He reminds me of Greg Dyke while at the BBC – ‘Just cut out the crap!’ ….. just do it!!!

• 14 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Rafa was clearly looking at the best time to play city to our advantage . He knows the importance that game could hold . Pity no one else at the club does

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM

As the Premier league decide the fixture schedule, with Sky and BT able to make alterations I doubt Rafa had any influence at all on this and it is far more likely that they were awaiting the outcome of the European tie before announcing it.

Nothing to do with Rafa or Charnley.

• 16 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Leah .. “A breath of fresh air “. It feels like I’ve been crawling along the murky depths of the Tyne for 9 years only to be brought back to life in some tulip field in Amsterdam . Everything just seems more fresh and full of life . I’m not getting too carried away though

• 17 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:04 PM

A big bucket of African water thrown over everyone.
    Ha ha ha

• 18 sparky55 // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:10 PM

He’ll only be a “breath of fresh air” in my book when he wins some games otherwise he’ll be gone with the wind come the end of May

• 19 Goldmbemba // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Interesting seeing how Defoe and Borini are having a pop at us, trying to stir the pot before the derby.

Not sure i’d be doing that in their position.

Its a must win game for BOTH sides. Saying the pressure is more on us is splitting hairs. Its not like their fixtures are dramatically better than ours in the run in. In fact i’d say ours are just about better on paper.

• 20 Mister Tuff // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:14 PM

I was reading earlier about what a couple of you boys were posting about that lass who was murdered in Cyprus a few years back. Then I spotted this post :-

“oonincheek // Mar 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    G –
    That’s what they deserved but they were released
    in 2006 after serving 12 years.
    Sickening.
    Probably even got new identitites when they got back to the UK.”

After reading that last sentence I was wondering if Ian Toon was an accomplice – not saying he was just a possibility though.

• 21 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:28 PM

If Ian Toon went walkies with a couple of blokes and a girl, I think the likelihood is that the female of the group would end up mounting Ian – as a sign of her dominance and position within the group.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Ancient – My God – what a horrible thought.

• 23 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Cisse and Colo listed as back for the 20th of March. As much criticism as Colo gets, I would like to see him back for the Sunderland game. It will be interesting to see if Lascelles can push Colo or Mbemba out of the side, when all 3 are fit… he couldn’t befar away.

• 24 Wayayman // Mar 16, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Ancient, you want to see if Lascelles can push Mbmema out of the team when fit? Are you serious? Mbemba is probably the best CD we’ve had since Woodgate, and he’s only 21!

• 25 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Wayayman, nope, I was thinking more along the lines of Lascelles pushing Coloccini out of the side.

• 26 toon22 // Mar 16, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Imho its Cisse we need back quickly as he seems the only player we have who can get goals.
    Wouldnt be suprised if Raffa plays him ,if fit,with Perez up front and drops Mitro.
    There CBs wouldnt mind the physical game Mitro has but would hate the pace.

• 27 Tsunki // Mar 16, 2016 at 5:41 PM

If Cisse is fit it would be crazy not to start playing him. Whatever you think of him he’s the only recognisable striker we have.

• 28 toon kk // Mar 16, 2016 at 5:42 PM

The best we can hope for in our remaining games is goalless draws, there’s no goals in our squad. I would like to see Doumbia get a chance, we might be missing out on something.

• 29 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM

• 30 Tinman // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM

My god there are some idiots out there….. Rafa can do many things and Charnley can not, but neither of them have any control over the Premier Leagues schedule. Wow. No wonder nobody ever actually reads the articles

• 31 WWSBRD // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Howay now we can’t blame McClaren for not organising the City match haha deary me

toon kk
    Ur a optimistic one aren’t u, personally I will be hoping for 9 wins but hey ho u stick to the nil nil draws

• 32 G // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Cisse has to play if fit, but we need somebody with him in a 4 4 2 imo. I would be tempted to go with Perez, but Mitros strengh and hold up play would be handy too.

• 33 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Apparently, in his budget speech today, Rafa has solved world hunger.

• 34 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Id take 4 wins & 2 draws. 16 pts hopefully enough. 3 losses likely to be Citeh, spurts and liverpool.

• 35 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM

For me thats the minimum requirement,dont think we will survive with less, because it means dropping points to the teams around us.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Benitez will have looked things over carefully during the Leicester match. Who played well and who didn’t. Our defense was fairly decent. Our attack was poor and uncoordinated. It’s got to be a worry for him. I’m not sure why Doumbia is even with us. Is he fit? It’s a risk bringing Cisse in at this point, at least to start. I think we have to get the tactics right. I liked Colback at LB and Shelvey played a decent if uninspired game. A big worry is Sissoko. Don’t know what to expect there. Mitro can hold the ball up but we need more than that from him. I’m predicting a close one, but 2-1 to us. Perez and Wijnaldum to score.

• 37 GeordieTwo // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM

We need more from the midfield. I’m hoping it will come with Rafa. Sissoko has to be more consistent over the last 9 matches. The same with Wijnaldum. I’m not sure there are a lot of goals in Mitrovic. It doesn’t seem like it. He was a huge gamble to spend so much on. Very difficult to choose some of the starting 11.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Four wins. Mackems, Norwich, Palace, and Villa. Those are an absolute must. A couple of draws or a surprise fifth win would be brilliant.

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:45 PM

G2

Mackems norwich and villa deffo. Id take a win v either palace or swans (both would be ideal).

• 40 GeordieTwo // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Spot on YCMIU mate. I forgot about Swansea. Definitely beatable this season. That first win against the mackems is crucial for Rafa. Everything will build from there, including player confidence.

• 41 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM

This is going to be some game tonight.

At one end of the park, Messi, Suarez, and Neymar.
    At the other, Danny Welbeck.

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM

As Gandalf would say or should say.

YOU SHALL NOT BEAT THE SWANS

Ha ha ha

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Can’t see Arsenal beating Barcelona tonight but you never know.

• 44 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 16, 2016 at 6:58 PM

I still have a notion that we may finish above Palace and that would provide much amusement to everyone and especially Catchy

• 45 GeordieTwo // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM

That would be excellent Schizoid mate. I’m busy imagining it right now. Mmmmmm.

• 46 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I think de Jong could be dropped into a more withdrawn central role.
    A three man mid field of Cheike the enforcer Siem the provider and Jonjo a mix of the 2 , Townsend and Wijnaldum switching flanks constantly , the lone striker , whoever Rafa thinks is the best poacher , Sissoko dropped , jobs a good’un.

• 47 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM

The bookies are being generous with Arsenal. I know Arsenal are unlikely, but Wenger has went to Barcelona and Bayern Munich and won games before – it’s never cut and dry.

Alexis to score first and Arsenal win 3-1 is 450/1.

• 48 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM

21st century and G2

I was saying the other day, benitez aim is to hopefully catch one of the teams above us. Aumung 16th and falling just short in 17th keeps us up. Look up rather than down. I dont really care which team it is, as Pardews fortunes realistically mean fk all to us now.

• 49 Mister Tuff // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Must have a new player called Cheike – never heard of him before though.

• 50 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Ancient

I would think that, even if Arsenal manage to nick a very unlikely win, they still won’t do enough to turn the tie around. Barca have hit top form domestically and i’d be surprised if they lose tonight, let alone the whole tie.

• 51 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Tuff

Maybe “Cheike the Enforcer” is his tag on ‘Runescape’

• 52 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Ooh I missed a “c” added an “e” why don’t you accuse me of murdering a Danish tourist guide you f@cking child- minded idiot.

• 53 AncientC // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp – Unless Barcelona pick up a red card, I would think it should be a very open game.
    Arsenal should really be starting the game aiming to score 3 goals, so it could turn into a goal fest.

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Jib

You murdered a Danish tour guide.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• 55 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Ancient

It could be a cracking game. If Arsenal do make it open,though, it could also go very wrong for them. They will deserve a lot of credit if they do try.

• 56 G // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Wowzers, some retort Jib! I feel your pain though mate, its difficult on the internet when youre dyslexic.

• 57 toon kk // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM

WWSBRD
    I would like everyone else love for nine wins, but get realistic ffs.
    Look at the table, who’s our proven striker who gets our goals? Even when we play well how many shots on target do we get?

Yes everyone should get behind our team but don’t expect to much that’s all I say, we simply haven’t the cutting edge to score.

• 58 Transfer Sage // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:26 PM

What a stupid article….Rafa has no say in this. It’s down to the league to organise fixtures.

Rafa hopefully will sort the club out but this is not an example of him doing something.

• 59 The Newcastle Armchair // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:27 PM

We need cisse back to score simple as

• 60 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:27 PM

I extoll all posters ( you don’t have to acknowledge ) who found Mr Tuff’s remark about Ian Toon , accusing him of being one of the Royal Green Jacket soldiers who murdered poor Louise Jensen – either stupid , strange , weird , childish or a bit creepy to e-mail Ed and get the idiot censured !

• 61 G // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM

@60, to be fair on this one, Ive probably typed worse things after a few drinks, yes its slightly distasteful, but not worthy of moderation imo.

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Jib

If that is,in fact, exactly what Tuff did, then it actually becomes a serious issue. Probably a legal matter. However, i am pretty sure he used words along the lines of ‘not saying he was’, so aside from being slightly tasteless, (seen worse) i doubt there will be a problem, nor a reason for censure.

• 63 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

YCMIU
    You’ve got to admit the moron is one creepy guy.

• 64 Toon Tang // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM

To all people pinning our survival on Papiss ‘offside’ Cisse – Is this the same papiss that couldn’t hit Vanessa Feltz arse with a banjo?

The lads got a 1 in 3 goalscoring record for us but its a bit bogus due to the 20 goals he scored in 17 games (was it) in that half season he hit the ground running.

No doubt Jibblets will hit me with some stats on all this…

• 65 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Toontang
    Geordie 2 could hit said Vanessa’s arse and he is sitting in Western Canada

• 66 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM

I have to say I normally get on quite well with Tuff but I thought his comment @20 was out of order beyond a bit of banter.

• 67 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Juventus 1 – 0 up at Bayern – I didn’t see that one!

• 68 Toon Tang // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Jib, I have no doubts, but Cisse? Is he seriously the lad to lead us to the promised land.

Should start doumbia and just see how it goes. But obviously McClaren and now Benitez have seen something they don’t like about him and it looks to be a non-starter

• 69 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM

The Arsenal players will have to be carried on to their plane back to Heathrow if the game carries on like this. Barcelona are running them ragged !

• 70 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Jib

I dont think he is creepy or a moron. I have crossed the line myself a few times. In fact, in the real world, people rely on me for the slightly inapropriate humour. Its where i fit in with my social circle. We all make mistakes, though. I am sure it will be between Mr Tuff and Ian to sort this one out.

• 71 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM

I think Arsenal are on for a hiding tonight – already 1 – 0 down!

• 72 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Anyway, having to watch this in my phone so catch up later.

• 73 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM

50,000 fans 50,000 opinions

• 74 Toon Tang // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Did arsenal ever have a chance in this 2-legger hahahaa

• 75 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp @70 – I think you’re spot on – we’ve all posted things we regret later but you can’t ‘unpost’ them. I think crying to Ed is a little heavy handed – he must get sick of all the bitching.

• 76 Jib // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I wonder if Jordi Alba knows Benitez ?

• 77 ShirebrookToon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Jordi Alba is a quality LB

• 78 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM

JIB

You showing ersatz righteous indignation at Mr T and urging folk to complain to Ed about him is deffo the kettle calling the frying pan sooty erse 🙂 Nothing wrong with a bit of hypocrisy though eh ?

• 79 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:25 PM

A top manager will always want to know the fixtures of his team .specially if it is a rearranged game involving relagation, The time , the date, everything , ,,why ???? coz its better than not knowing.

• 80 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Half time. Respect to arsenal for giving it a go. Think its only a matter of time before Barca get a second

Martoon

Yeah its a bit much taking things to ed all the time.

• 81 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Just checked City’s fixture list – on 12,13 April they’ve got the second leg of their CL quarter final (let’s hope it’s away) and then they play Chelsea on the following Saturday (at Stanford Bridge) and then us on the following Tuesday – let’s hope they might be tired!

• 82 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Also on Saturday (16 April) we play Swansea at home so we have no travelling and hopefully we’ll be buoyed up after beating Swansea 🙂

• 83 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Martoon —- when is the city game ??

• 84 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Nobody is unbeatable in this league, Citeh included. Getting 3 pts off our game in hand would certainly ease the pressure.

• 85 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Also , by not getting a rearranged date for the city game , how could macca , carr and the idiot put a plan survival plan into place when they have no idea whatso ever when we are playing them , hahahaha,, so yeah , macca being the master of attention to detail that he is SHOULD have had that sorted. It was just a little flaw in maccas organisation skills that benitez picked up on . M

• 86 Average_Contents // Mar 16, 2016 at 9:42 PM

How can a manager/HC or md get it sorted?

As Lil mentioned, it’s down to the premier league with occasional input from sky/BT if they have it live.

The grinner was a buffoon and so is penfold but come on, get it right.

• 87 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Stuart no9 The city match is on Tuesday 19 April ko at 7.45pm.

• 88 martoon // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM

The Bayern Juventus match is a canny one. Bayern were 2 0 down and now leading 4 2 in extra time. A complete reversal of the first game.

• 89 stuart no9 // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM

average— on the day of rafas arrival the 13th the reearranged game was not programmed in. he asked the question on the same day and by the tuesday the 15th NUFC put it on their website that the game would be played on the 19th april , 4 days after he arrived ,

come to your own conclusion on that one. coincedence ?? maybe .

• 90 manxpie // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:22 PM

average did ya not know?
    rafa is also jesus!

they had to wait for the european games that is the only reason lol

• 91 WWSBRD // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:37 PM

toon kk
    Get realistic? It was entirely unrealistic to think we could get Rafa Benitez as manager while in the bottom 3 and 10 games to go yet here we sit

I believe we play 5 of the bottom 6 coming up no? Why can’t we look to win instead of draw, ur ‘realism’ sounds very much like over the top negativity to me

As for the striker to score our goals well we’ve got Cisse, Mitro, Perez and Doumbia all of them have scored plenty goals in the past. Also there’s a team behind them who, as far as am aware at least, are able to kick a ball towards the net

• 92 Transfer Sage // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Manx

Exactly. The club have no say in the arrangement of fixtures. The premier league decide these and tv companies request them to be moved for their schedules.

rafa can change a lot of things but he can’t change that.

• 93 WWSBRD // Mar 16, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Sage
    U don’t know the power of the Rafa side

• 94 manxpie // Mar 16, 2016 at 11:06 PM

i know sage and theres a song there somewhere lol
    i must say i didn’t realise the true beef rafa and fat sam have
    this is the biggest derby ever coming up and add the spice between them could be a classic
    my only worry is i still think the likes of sisko and some others don’t really understand how big this game is oh and defoe i was hoping he would be injured

• 95 manxpie // Mar 16, 2016 at 11:08 PM

and we aint got shola no more he might make an appearance for a team talk tho before the game

• 96 Mister Tuff // Mar 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Excellent experiment tonight to reveal those who want to be offended, note not are offended, but want to be offended in order to further mysterious agendas.
    I think it was quite obvious that my post was a jocular post about new identities/multiples. But the spite meister wants to twist it in another direction.
    The misery police aka Jib “I will be offended on someone else’s behalf” Jibberish took his opportunity to take a pop – using his faux outrage -nearly as bad as lying.
    Jib – it’s Cheick Ismaël Tioté by the way. Dork.

• 97 toonincheek // Mar 17, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Tuff –

It was certainly NOT obvious to me that your comment was in jest.
    It was tasteless and just a way of having a dig.
    Typos are another matter altogether, although I do not justify lazy mis-spellings.

previous post: Benitez Considering Recalling Adam Armstrong?

next post: Star Player – Benitez Is A Fantastic Opportunity For Newcastle