The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Explains What His Job Is This Week In Training

8:58 am, Thursday, March 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Rafa Benitez has been interviewed and says his job this week in training is to improve Newcastle in both attack and defense before the crucial 6 pointer against Sunderland at home on Sunday.

We have lost six games in a row to Sunderland and haven’t beaten the Black Cats since 20th August, 2011, when we won 1-0 with that Ryan Taylor fantastic free kick in the second half at the Stadium of Light that gave us the 1-0 win.

rafa benitez training 3

Rafa Benitez in training

Rafa and his coaches have to get Newcastle to tighten up in almost all areas and if he can do that we may see a very good Newcastle side on Sunday – we hope to see a very good Newcastle side on Sunday

This is some of what the former Valencia and Liverpool manager has said:

“We know it is difficult but at the same time it will be difficult for the others.” “So we have to have confidence that we’ll do it.”

“We have to improve in both areas. That is our job this week. Hopefully we can improve little things and these things will make the difference.”

“In the three days they trained really well and at Leicester they were working hard. It is a question of having a little bit of luck.”

“We had two chances at the beginning we could have scored and maybe it would have been a totally different game.”

“I think we have to think of the positives and the positive for me was that we made some chances. We have to improve those little things in defense too.”

We thought the comments after the game on Monday by the Newcastle manager were directed towards his players and he only concentrated on the positives and he was even dismissive when asked if Newcastle should have had a penalty late in the game.

Rafa Benitez is all business at Newcastle as tries to turn the fortunes of the team around in short order, so he can give himself every chance of saving us from relegation.

Rafa and our players will get all the support possible at the game on Sunday from the Geordie fans and that could be the difference in this game, as Rafa makes his home debut as the Newcastle manager in front of a sell-out crowd.

Rafa Benitez has also asked many times in the last week that everybody associated with Newcastle United get behind the club in these final crucial games of the season.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sunderland?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Other News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:07 AM

“It is a question of having a little bit of luck.”

The last derby turned on Coloccini’s sending off. I wonder what will happen this time. Fisticuffs between Benitez and Fat Sam?

• 2 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM

they need to play smart,no stupid fouls around the box,no stupid tackles when they are struggling to clear the ball,no daft tackles which allows there players to dive and roll around as if shot tryin to get bookings….be smart,be in control,the likes of mitro, shelvey and colback need accept they could get a bit of rough treatment but keeping 11 players on the pitch is a must as we seen at thte stadium of shite.

• 3 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:25 AM

I dont think rafa made a smart tactical move with sissoko but at least he tried to influence the game positively and we went after leicester, a bit anyway. The players respect him and that will help so much. I liked the way he didnt get drawn into the peno issue. Smc would have moaned all night about that and said we were “triffic”, which we were not, just more compact and more focussed.

• 4 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Springy mitro could get us in trouble. His body language to me still shows a guy waiting to blow up. Rafa seems hugely dependent on him and i think nitro needs a goal to keep his morale up.

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Agree – We need a little bit of luck
    But knowing the TOON we’ll shoot ourselves in the foot – most likely a penalty or sending off.

I still think we will get beat and our faces will be rubbed in the sh*t.

My feelings are we were to late in getting rid of McClaren and with it the lose mentality. The board have had umpteen times to get rid of McClaren – personally I would of got rid of him after the Sheff Wednesday mess when we lost to a second team Sheff Wed.

If we go down which I think we will we have got to pull out all the stops and give Benitez what he wants to get in the players he wants and run the teams 1st, under 21’s etc., the way he wants.

• 6 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:31 AM

good thing about this derby match is no Adam Johnson for mackems he always scores against us now need to deal with defoe

• 7 John Akomfrah // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM

charlie ,if we go down benny will be off

• 8 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM

As a non geordie, can someone explain to me what cheesy peas are? Also what is the accent difference…. How wud i tell a makem from a geordie in terms or accent or words apart from one being ” big and fat and g*y” as the song goes?

• 9 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Charlie i wud have dumped him after his ridiculous post match analysis v watford. At least we dont have to see that STUPID tactics folder any more. 😀

• 10 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Happy St Patricks day to all my NUFC buddies. I will raise a glass or two or 8 of the black stuff to you today and of course to Rafa too. Htl

• 11 Ron Knee // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I’m not optimistic either. But if we could persuade him to stay …

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM

The word “these” is a good example:-

Geordie: “Thees”

Makem : “Theys”

Geordie : “Who’s keys are thees”

Makem : “Whey’s keyys are Theys”

• 13 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:50 AM

when you look at the fixtures left the mackems need these point desperately…can only see them picking up another 5-7 points the rest of the season after sunday.
    swansea,roughly about the same
    norwich about 3-5 if we can start playing
    palace,3-5 points
    we play all of these sides…its still in our hands if it goes to goal difference we’ll struggle though.

• 14 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Allardyce when he heard about the Rafalution

• 15 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM

An ex Royal Green Jacket has died today.
    R.I.P. Paul Daniels

• 16 Toon_Tom // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Geordie = Book
    Mackem = Bewk

Geordie = Pool
    Mackem = Pewl

Basically, any word with “oo” a mackem prenounces it as “ew”

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Mackem derives from the shipbuilding industry and the making of the ships.
    Instead of
    we make them
    We mak em /mack em however you want to spell it

• 18 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Whoops just checked
    ‘Twas the Green Howards.

• 19 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Folk are forgetting Ivan Toney who was 20 yesterday.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:24 AM

There’s a pot of tey on the cewker

• 21 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:25 AM

There is a pit village South of Sunlun called Easington
    The mackems say “Eye sintun” very fast

“Ch eyesy cheeps wi peees”

• 22 Toon_Tom // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:30 AM

my wife is from Chester le Street and maintains a mackem twang – its very annoying and is the root of a lot of arguments – usually through me trying to tell her to talk properly

• 23 lesh // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM

‘We mak em and they [the Newcastle shipowners] tackem’

Hence – mackems and tackems!

Weys keys are thees

• 24 lesh // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM

How’d you tell a mackem from a geordie?

Geordie’s knuckles don’t trail the floor!!

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:13 AM

I see aarons has been picked for the england u21s

• 26 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Jeff, try “Eezntn” – it’s said that fast. The misfortune of living as a kid in “Pee’lee”. 🙁 the place was swarming with mackems but me and a few mates held fast in the days of Joe Harvey.

• 27 Sliema // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:22 AM

What is it with the cheesy chips bashing on this blog?! I am as little a fan of them lot as the rest of you but come on… cheesy chips are dope! I will always defend cheesy chips.

• 28 Sliema // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I hail from the South of Shields, so yes technically nearer mackem territory than I’d like… but CHEESEEEEY CHIIIIPS!!!!!! 😀 hubba hubba

• 29 Sliema // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM

You couldn’t make it up

That’s good news! Aarons is still one of our brightest prospects imo, just not at left-back lol. We still haven’t tied him down long-term yet though have we? I think he has a extension clause though, not sure if the terms have been met but hopefully we can just trigger that extension.

• 30 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:31 AM

( Makes note to self – Sliema is not actually Maltese but a Sand – Dancer ! )

• 31 jayphoto // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM

One thing is for sure, we need someone to start taking chances. One problem I see is a lack intelligent movement around and in the box. I don’t really trust Mitrovic to get amongst the goals this season, though his hold up play is important. We need someone in the 10 role behind him that will look to get beyond him. Oddly, this is the role Armstrong plays at Coventry. I think De jong may become useful in this respect, we seem to dominate the ball more when he plays and he gets closer to the striker.
    I liked gini in the 8 role. Saw more of the ball. Shelvey is important as he looks to make things happen even if it doesn’t come off, the intent is there, doesn’t hide and play the easy pass like some. Chances are he may link with cisse well in the way he did with Gomis? Similar with Doumbia?
    Townesend showed directness, I think when hes fit he’s a must have in the line up.
    For the derby, if all fit and ready I’d go with
    Janmaat Taylor Lascelles Colback
    Gini Shelvey
    Townesend De Jong Perez

• 32 Ian Toon // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Sissoko hasn’t fulfilled expectations fuelled by his home debut against Chelsea. Many football fans view him as having a poor touch and a lack of heart- I thought he looked much improved and arguably our mom v Leicester. He showed back in 2013 that he was capable of barnstorming runs and an ability to make runs from deep positions. Though I don’t think we’ve really ever worked out where to play him. He’s played mainly out on the wing or as an attacking central midfielder without looking entirely at home. Benitez has change in mind for Sissoko and it looked to me that he had bought into it.

At Toulouse Sissoko was mainly used as a defensive midfielder. In the absence of Tiote, with Colback at LB, Anita has not made that position his. I would like to see Shelvey in a more advanced position where his range of passing will be more effective. Step forward Moussa.
    Sissoko could be the answer , where his power will be an asset but problems with his technique wouldn’t matter quite so much. By playing a single holding midfielder instead of two we would also have the option of either playing both Wijnaldum and de Jong in their preferred central attacking midfield slot, or just one of them and a second striker. This does not have to be our starting position but would evolve depending on the state of the game.
    Benitez will be looking for positives and at SJP to be more adventurous when the need arises.

• 33 Sliema // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM

There is more sand in Shields than all of Malta I reckon! Oh how I miss dancing on the sand… my name is Rio.

• 34 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I see we are being heavily linked again , in Germany , with Wolfsburg’s Bas Dost.
    Do we really need a 6′ 5″ Dutch beanpole a la P. Crouch ?

• 35 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM

not sure if gini will like the idea of playing cm and not the attack midfield…if he starts playing there all the the time and SDJ start in attack/mid he may get a lip on….if he’s professional enough he may realise that may be his better position where he can in fluence the game more….cant see sissoko being dropped…i think it will be the same side as leicester tbh to start….if any change maybe doumbia up front.

• 36 Ian Toon // Mar 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Average- Over the past week you have sent me a number of random posts usually when I am not around. Almost as if you’re auditioning for the blogs embittered nutter role which is already taken.
    They smack of you being uptight and suggest a desire on your part to be in control and have me behave as you want. Well speaking for myself you’re wasting your time and certainly I don’t remotely wish to behave like you or waste my time responding.
    You really should let the need to control go and accept that bloggers often behave in a manner you may not expect or find acceptable . It would certainly help you have a more relaxed mentality.
    You’re a little long in the tooth for an angry young man role. Just stick to football and not a running commentary on your perception of my lifestyle. You know it makes sense- or in your case ………..!

• 37 NUFCPaul // Mar 17, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Sliema – I’m a fellow Sanddancer, but I’ve been living in the States since 2008. It’s a hell of a change to Tyne Dock, that’s for sure, but I miss Dickson’s saveloy dips and Greggs pasties more than Mitro misses the goal.

• 38 Moonraker15 // Mar 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM