Big Opportunity For Talented Newcastle Youngster

Good news today that 20 year-old Newcastle winger Rolando Aarons has been named in the England U-21 squad for the UEFA European Championship Qualifier against Switzerland in Thun later this month.

Aarons has been injured most of the last couple of seasons, but he is now fit again and trying to break into the Newcastle’s first team with Rafa Benitez now the manager.

It’s great that the England U-21 manager Gareth Southgate has recognized the youngster’s talent.

rolando aarons portland

Rolando Aarons – called up by England U-21 side

Duncan Watmore, Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Redmond have all been ruled out of the squad and that gives a chance to the talented Newcastle youngster.

This is what Gareth Southgate said about Rolando’s inclusion in the squad:

“For Rolando it is an opportunity for him to come with the Under-21s for the first time and a chance to impress us and get an understanding of the way we work.”

Two other youngsters in addition to Aarons get their first call-up for the U-21 squad –  Swansea City’s Matt Grimes who is on loan at Blackburn and Isaac Hayden, on loan at Hull City from Arsenal.

Rolando has appeared 10 times for the Newcastle first team with two goals and already has made five appearances for the England U-20 squad with two goals.

Here is the full England U-21 squad:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Sunderland), Christian Walton (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Wildsmith (Sheffield Wednesday).

Defenders: Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Brendan Galloway (Everton), Kortney Hause (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Jack Stephens (Coventry City; on loan from Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton).

Midfielders: Lewis Baker (Vitesse Arnhem; on loan from Chelsea), Matt Grimes (Blackburn Rovers; on loan from Swansea City), Isaac Hayden (Hull City; on loan from Arsenal), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), John Swift (Brentford; on loan from Chelsea), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Rolando Aarons (Newcastle United), Chuba Akpom (Hull City; on loan from Arsenal), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Jordon Ibe (Liverpool), Dominic Solanke (Vitesse Arnhem; on loan from Chelsea), James Wilson (Brighton & Hove Albion; on loan from Manchester Utd).

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM

where is armstrong?

• Wayayman

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, what more does Arma have to do to get a game for the U21’s?

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Arma plays for Aidy Boothroyd’s U19 team

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM

why wouldnt he play u21 instead>?

• Average_Contents

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Master multiple from previous threads.

Do you have me mixed up.

I’d imagine it’s hard to keep track of all the conversations that take place with all your names but in any case, I’ve hardly been on this week and certainly not addressed any of your drivel either directly or indirectly so please don’t talk shite.

Please provide evidence of me what you believe to be addressing one of your posts and I’ll tell you if your correct

Actually don’t bother as I know your wrong.

Please refrain from addressing me in future.

You are what’s known in my profession as a Grade A Gobshite.

• Average_Contents

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM

The only good news is it gives him minutes. Other than that it’s nothing to write home about really.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:46 PM

RACIST AT IT AGAIN – DISGRACEFUL.

I see our resident racist Jib Jibberish is at it again with his racist comments. This time he has called folk from South Shields -sand dancers.
    This is clearly a derogatory comment and certainly racist.
    For those that do not know South Shields – at the mouth of the River Tyne has strong seafaring traditions and links with the Middle East going back to Roman times.
    It has the oldest Yemeni community in the country going back over 130 years. Basically Yemeni seafarers settled in the town and there has been a strong Middle Eastern community.
    The term sand dancer has it’s origins in connection with the Yemeni community.

I wonder if I’ll see any outrage from certain folk on here as to the use of this phrase.
    I would not really want to have a chinwag with a racist – but it is clear – some do – double standards -disgraceful – as bad as the racists.
    Note this is yet another racism moment from this bloke -disgraceful. Ed should ban him.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Mr Tuff
    You’d better have a word with South Shields council

Arse twanging time again 😀
    Mug

• hibbitt

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Mister Tuff

total out of order the folk of Shields are very proud to use the name sandancer ….There are written accounts dating back to the 1850s describing the skill of the locals ‘Dancing on the sand’ whilst helping free ships that had become stuck on the beach….do you home work first fool

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Hahaha – you’ll always get some folk (usually thickos) who want to believe want they want to believe and promulgate anti- racist origins to make themselves either feel better so as not to be labelled.
    If you thickos knew anything about this subject -not necessarily doing homework (thicko) you would be well aware that because somebody was dancing on the beach or because the area has long beaches is not the reason for the term. (you dopes might want to believe it)
    It is a slur on the Yemeni community. Trying to justify it and trying to justify it because of your ignorance is just as bad. Couple of thickos.

• lesh

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Mr Tuff

As previously said by another poster, the term ‘Sand-dancer’ is often used by natives of Shields to describe themselves. Unless they’re being offensive to themselves, I can’t see anything wrong in it.

Yes, the Yemeni community is the longest established in the UK and there is a school of thought that Sand-dancer is a product of Wilson, Keppel and Betty whose act featured dancing on…. sand. Isn’t there a Keppel Street in Shields?

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Howay Mr Tuff, sand dancer racist, we’ve got a pub on the beach front called the Sand dancer.

• hibbitt

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Dame Catherine Cookson often referred to herself as a sandancer and was proud of it

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

i dont know or care what a south sheilds dancer is. Back to football,

why wouldnt he play u21 instead>?

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Watching Sky1 PL legends Alan Shearer
    ” I know I would have won trophies with Man U but I honestly have not one ounce of regret about going home ”
    Felt meself filling up.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Who’s Faz

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM

The owner of Sanddancers bar Cala Bona Mallorca

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Oh him!

• Munster Mag

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Lads- I’d like to thank the guys a few posts ago who educated me on Geordie and Mackem lingo. As an Irishman with no obvious connections to NUFC ( until I get talking about it ! ) I love winding up Mackems when I meet them abroad on hols….”are you geordies” ? 🙂 ” I love Newcastle, its a really friendly city ” . ” I’m a man united fan but Jeez that Keegan team was something else ” 🙂 . I once met a bunch of Mackems in Dublin and had a pint with them, pretending I was a Man U fan but saying how much I respected Keegan’s team. What a wonderful wind up, they hated me after half an hour, I had to make my excuses and leave 🙂 . Wa*kers .

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Munster,
    Skewl n bewks is another grating part of their accent as is ‘oolar ‘uwps instead of Hula hoops. It shows a distinct lack of education and self respect!

• WWSBRD

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Aarons in the under 21s…not that fussed tbh but hey ho good for him and Arsenal is it? That’s who he has his eyes on supposedly

On the sand dancers thing I’ve never heard it said in an insulting or racist way, am not Jibs biggest fan by far and he has certainly exposed a racist side in the past but I wouldn’t add this to the list of him showing himself up

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Munster
    Some history for you
    In the mid 19th century experienced tin miners were actively recruited for the burgeoning new coal fields in South Northumberland and Newcastle area.
    The two main areas were Cornwall where the Trevelyans came from and County Wicklow where the recruits were nearly all called Keegan.
    Kevin says his grandad Joe was a miner near Newcastle and his family came from Ireland.

• SPRINGY

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM

didnt take long for the blog in fighting to return did it!…surprised aarons got a call up to be honest…looked poor,lacking sharpness and totally disinterested when he’s played,dont know if theres trouble behind the scenes regarding his contract but really has’nt looked anything like enthusiastic about playing considering he’s barely played…arsenal…howay man!… he’s a million miles from that side.

• 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:38 PM

springy

If Rafa wants him he’ll stay.
    I have got more faith in his judgement than the rest of them put together.
    You’re a young kid with promise and Rafa says I want you for my squad and team – what would you do ?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Jail – evening – I do know the Sand Dancer beach bar in South Shields. Because a term has gained popularism in the local area does not necessarily mean it is correct.

Those who accuse me of not doing some research really need to look into this matter themselves -do there own research and come to a conclusion.
    I would apologise to Hibbitt in calling him a thicko – even though he called me a fool.
    there are plenty of articles/information available which suggest that the term sand dancer is racist – not me saying it but intellectuals connected to Newcastle University – and others.
    So perhaps they should be argued with.
    Lesh mentioned the guys who did the sand dance years ago – the sand dance is clearly a parody of Arabic culture – nowadays is that acceptable.
    I include a link to the Talk of the Toon website – a website decicated to North East Linguistics – with research by Newcastle University and include this extract from their pages.

“Sandancer or Sand-dancer. This name for the people of South Shields could be a straightforward reference to their position on the coast, at the mouth of the Tyne. Another suggestion, which is in keeping with the pejorative views that seem to be a common motivation in the initial development of these regional nicknames, is that it began as a comment on the relatively large number of people from Arabian and Asian countries who settled in the town as early as the beginning of the twentieth century.”

Link :-

I rest my case – if the term is of dubious origin – so as not to offend it perhaps should not be used.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Just about everything that used to be in commonplace harmless usage, now seems to be offensive.

PC is really getting out of hand so are the people who see something offensive in any thing said in innocence.

There is a Keppel Street in Dunston, I was raised there. Wonder if that was named for the same (possible) reason.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Mr Tuff
    You chest beating pompous pillock – you’ve been found out and have such a lack of class you won’t ( Viv Reeves quote alert ) let it lie.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Mr. Tuff……… Are you a police informant?

• SPRINGY

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM

21st
    he may well if he’s got his head screwed on and is receiving level advice,but in this day and age money talks and sitting on a bench for a few year at a glamorously named club, earning a good few quid is more desirable actually playing week in, week out….not saying he’s looking to leave he maybe just forcing a decent pay out of the club.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Munster

Try this link if someone hasn’t already directed you to the site.

Translates English into Geordie

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Nice to see everyone’s happy this evening.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Who’s going to win tonight, United or Liverpool.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I would suggest that this is the person the various Keppel Streets are named for.

William Keppel, 7th Earl of Albemarle (15 April 1832 – 28 August 1894), styled Viscount Bury between 1851 and 1891, was a British soldier and politician. He served in the British Army before entering parliament in 1857. Initially a Liberal, he served as Treasurer of the Household between 1859 and 1866 in the Liberal administrations headed by Lord Palmerston and Lord Russell. He later switched to the Conservatives and held office as Under-Secretary of State for War under Lord Beaconsfield between 1878 and 1880
    and under Lord Salisbury between 1885 and 1886.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM

welshgoerdie

Don’t really care, although it might be slightly amusing to see ManU have a barren season.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Jib

That is very interesting and more likely than the S……Dancers origin.

However I must warn you that I am scrutinizing your comment for any hints of Politically Incorrect terminology.

• Jib

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Essex
    Do you want me to switch my pc cam on and bend over so you can do a thorough scrutiny ?