The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Big Opportunity For Talented Newcastle Youngster

2:30 pm, Thursday, March 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

Good news today that 20 year-old Newcastle winger Rolando Aarons has been named in the England U-21 squad for the UEFA European Championship Qualifier against Switzerland in Thun later this month.

Aarons has been injured most of the last couple of seasons, but he is now fit again and trying to break into the Newcastle’s first team with Rafa Benitez now the manager.

It’s great that the England U-21 manager Gareth Southgate has recognized the youngster’s talent.

rolando aarons portland

Rolando Aarons – called up by England U-21 side

Duncan Watmore, Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Redmond have all been ruled out of the squad and that gives a chance to the talented Newcastle youngster.

This is what Gareth Southgate said about Rolando’s inclusion in the squad:

“For Rolando it is an opportunity for him to come with the Under-21s for the first time and a chance to impress us and get an understanding of the way we work.”

Two other youngsters in addition to Aarons get their first call-up for the U-21 squad –  Swansea City’s Matt Grimes who is on loan at Blackburn and Isaac Hayden, on loan at Hull City from Arsenal.

Rolando has appeared 10 times for the Newcastle first team with two goals and already has made five appearances for the England U-20 squad with two goals.

Here is the full England U-21 squad:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Sunderland), Christian Walton (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Wildsmith (Sheffield Wednesday).

Defenders: Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Brendan Galloway (Everton), Kortney Hause (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Jack Stephens (Coventry City; on loan from Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton).

Midfielders: Lewis Baker (Vitesse Arnhem; on loan from Chelsea), Matt Grimes (Blackburn Rovers; on loan from Swansea City), Isaac Hayden (Hull City; on loan from Arsenal), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), John Swift (Brentford; on loan from Chelsea), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Rolando Aarons (Newcastle United), Chuba Akpom (Hull City; on loan from Arsenal), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Jordon Ibe (Liverpool), Dominic Solanke (Vitesse Arnhem; on loan from Chelsea), James Wilson (Brighton & Hove Albion; on loan from Manchester Utd).

Tags: England News · International News · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rolando Aarons

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Mar 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM

where is armstrong?

• 2 Wayayman // Mar 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, what more does Arma have to do to get a game for the U21’s?

• 3 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Arma plays for Aidy Boothroyd’s U19 team

• 4 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM

• 5 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Mar 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM

why wouldnt he play u21 instead>?

• 6 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Master multiple from previous threads.

Do you have me mixed up.

I’d imagine it’s hard to keep track of all the conversations that take place with all your names but in any case, I’ve hardly been on this week and certainly not addressed any of your drivel either directly or indirectly so please don’t talk shite.

Please provide evidence of me what you believe to be addressing one of your posts and I’ll tell you if your correct

Actually don’t bother as I know your wrong.

Please refrain from addressing me in future.

You are what’s known in my profession as a Grade A Gobshite.

• 7 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM

The only good news is it gives him minutes. Other than that it’s nothing to write home about really.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Mar 17, 2016 at 4:46 PM

I see our resident racist Jib Jibberish is at it again with his racist comments. This time he has called folk from South Shields -sand dancers.
    This is clearly a derogatory comment and certainly racist.
    For those that do not know South Shields – at the mouth of the River Tyne has strong seafaring traditions and links with the Middle East going back to Roman times.
    It has the oldest Yemeni community in the country going back over 130 years. Basically Yemeni seafarers settled in the town and there has been a strong Middle Eastern community.
    The term sand dancer has it’s origins in connection with the Yemeni community.

I wonder if I’ll see any outrage from certain folk on here as to the use of this phrase.
    I would not really want to have a chinwag with a racist – but it is clear – some do – double standards -disgraceful – as bad as the racists.
    Note this is yet another racism moment from this bloke -disgraceful. Ed should ban him.

• 9 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Mr Tuff
    You’d better have a word with South Shields council

Arse twanging time again 😀

• 10 hibbitt // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Mister Tuff

total out of order the folk of Shields are very proud to use the name sandancer ….There are written accounts dating back to the 1850s describing the skill of the locals ‘Dancing on the sand’ whilst helping free ships that had become stuck on the beach….do you home work first fool

• 11 Mister Tuff // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Hahaha – you’ll always get some folk (usually thickos) who want to believe want they want to believe and promulgate anti- racist origins to make themselves either feel better so as not to be labelled.
    If you thickos knew anything about this subject -not necessarily doing homework (thicko) you would be well aware that because somebody was dancing on the beach or because the area has long beaches is not the reason for the term. (you dopes might want to believe it)
    It is a slur on the Yemeni community. Trying to justify it and trying to justify it because of your ignorance is just as bad. Couple of thickos.

• 12 lesh // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Mr Tuff

As previously said by another poster, the term ‘Sand-dancer’ is often used by natives of Shields to describe themselves. Unless they’re being offensive to themselves, I can’t see anything wrong in it.

Yes, the Yemeni community is the longest established in the UK and there is a school of thought that Sand-dancer is a product of Wilson, Keppel and Betty whose act featured dancing on…. sand. Isn’t there a Keppel Street in Shields?

• 13 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Advice for Mr Tuff

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Howay Mr Tuff, sand dancer racist, we’ve got a pub on the beach front called the Sand dancer.

• 15 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM

• 16 hibbitt // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Dame Catherine Cookson often referred to herself as a sandancer and was proud of it

• 17 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

i dont know or care what a south sheilds dancer is. Back to football,

why wouldnt he play u21 instead>?

• 18 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Tell Faz he’s a racist ha ha ha

• 19 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Watching Sky1 PL legends Alan Shearer
    ” I know I would have won trophies with Man U but I honestly have not one ounce of regret about going home ”
    Felt meself filling up.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Who’s Faz

• 21 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM

The owner of Sanddancers bar Cala Bona Mallorca

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Oh him!

• 23 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Lads- I’d like to thank the guys a few posts ago who educated me on Geordie and Mackem lingo. As an Irishman with no obvious connections to NUFC ( until I get talking about it ! ) I love winding up Mackems when I meet them abroad on hols….”are you geordies” ? 🙂 ” I love Newcastle, its a really friendly city ” . ” I’m a man united fan but Jeez that Keegan team was something else ” 🙂 . I once met a bunch of Mackems in Dublin and had a pint with them, pretending I was a Man U fan but saying how much I respected Keegan’s team. What a wonderful wind up, they hated me after half an hour, I had to make my excuses and leave 🙂 . Wa*kers .

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Skewl n bewks is another grating part of their accent as is ‘oolar ‘uwps instead of Hula hoops. It shows a distinct lack of education and self respect!

• 25 WWSBRD // Mar 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Aarons in the under 21s…not that fussed tbh but hey ho good for him and Arsenal is it? That’s who he has his eyes on supposedly

On the sand dancers thing I’ve never heard it said in an insulting or racist way, am not Jibs biggest fan by far and he has certainly exposed a racist side in the past but I wouldn’t add this to the list of him showing himself up

• 26 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Some history for you
    In the mid 19th century experienced tin miners were actively recruited for the burgeoning new coal fields in South Northumberland and Newcastle area.
    The two main areas were Cornwall where the Trevelyans came from and County Wicklow where the recruits were nearly all called Keegan.
    Kevin says his grandad Joe was a miner near Newcastle and his family came from Ireland.

• 27 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM

didnt take long for the blog in fighting to return did it!…surprised aarons got a call up to be honest…looked poor,lacking sharpness and totally disinterested when he’s played,dont know if theres trouble behind the scenes regarding his contract but really has’nt looked anything like enthusiastic about playing considering he’s barely played…arsenal…howay man!… he’s a million miles from that side.

• 28 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:38 PM

If Rafa wants him he’ll stay.
    I have got more faith in his judgement than the rest of them put together.
    You’re a young kid with promise and Rafa says I want you for my squad and team – what would you do ?

• 29 Mister Tuff // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Jail – evening – I do know the Sand Dancer beach bar in South Shields. Because a term has gained popularism in the local area does not necessarily mean it is correct.

Those who accuse me of not doing some research really need to look into this matter themselves -do there own research and come to a conclusion.
    I would apologise to Hibbitt in calling him a thicko – even though he called me a fool.
    there are plenty of articles/information available which suggest that the term sand dancer is racist – not me saying it but intellectuals connected to Newcastle University – and others.
    So perhaps they should be argued with.
    Lesh mentioned the guys who did the sand dance years ago – the sand dance is clearly a parody of Arabic culture – nowadays is that acceptable.
    I include a link to the Talk of the Toon website – a website decicated to North East Linguistics – with research by Newcastle University and include this extract from their pages.

“Sandancer or Sand-dancer. This name for the people of South Shields could be a straightforward reference to their position on the coast, at the mouth of the Tyne. Another suggestion, which is in keeping with the pejorative views that seem to be a common motivation in the initial development of these regional nicknames, is that it began as a comment on the relatively large number of people from Arabian and Asian countries who settled in the town as early as the beginning of the twentieth century.”

Link :-

I rest my case – if the term is of dubious origin – so as not to offend it perhaps should not be used.

• 30 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Just about everything that used to be in commonplace harmless usage, now seems to be offensive.

PC is really getting out of hand so are the people who see something offensive in any thing said in innocence.

There is a Keppel Street in Dunston, I was raised there. Wonder if that was named for the same (possible) reason.

• 31 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Mr Tuff
    You chest beating pompous pillock – you’ve been found out and have such a lack of class you won’t ( Viv Reeves quote alert ) let it lie.

• 32 bettyswallocks // Mar 17, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Mr. Tuff……… Are you a police informant?

• 33 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM

he may well if he’s got his head screwed on and is receiving level advice,but in this day and age money talks and sitting on a bench for a few year at a glamorously named club, earning a good few quid is more desirable actually playing week in, week out….not saying he’s looking to leave he maybe just forcing a decent pay out of the club.

• 34 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Try this link if someone hasn’t already directed you to the site.

Translates English into Geordie

• 35 welshgeordie9 // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Nice to see everyone’s happy this evening.

• 36 welshgeordie9 // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Who’s going to win tonight, United or Liverpool.

• 37 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I would suggest that this is the person the various Keppel Streets are named for.

William Keppel, 7th Earl of Albemarle (15 April 1832 – 28 August 1894), styled Viscount Bury between 1851 and 1891, was a British soldier and politician. He served in the British Army before entering parliament in 1857. Initially a Liberal, he served as Treasurer of the Household between 1859 and 1866 in the Liberal administrations headed by Lord Palmerston and Lord Russell. He later switched to the Conservatives and held office as Under-Secretary of State for War under Lord Beaconsfield between 1878 and 1880
    and under Lord Salisbury between 1885 and 1886.

• 38 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Don’t really care, although it might be slightly amusing to see ManU have a barren season.

• 39 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

That is very interesting and more likely than the S……Dancers origin.

However I must warn you that I am scrutinizing your comment for any hints of Politically Incorrect terminology.

• 40 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Do you want me to switch my pc cam on and bend over so you can do a thorough scrutiny ?

• 41 SPRINGY // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM

erm…i think thats just for your enjoyment jib!!lol

• 42 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM

There was due to be a big clash tonight.
    The missus wants to watch Houdini and Doyle on ITV Encore at 9 and I’m watching MU v Lpool but the match is a bit of a crock – so no argument – she wins

• 43 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:36 PM

In my house that’s always the case!!!

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Oh and lol!!

• 45 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Essex i can do a canny geordie accent and have fooled geordies before into thinking i was from jesmond (i went posh) but i was looking for an education into mackemness, if such a word exists. Thankfully i have witnessed a 1-0 mags win in a derby game but am getting quite pumped for this game even though its st patricks day and i shud be more distracted by guinness and music

• 46 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Hello there people, does anyone know a decent website to stream ManU game on mobile phone?

• 47 Munster Mag // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Jib tks for the history. I have noticed keegan commenting on his irish roots. I hope he toasts his heritage today. Watching the news here i cant believe how much latitude we get around the world to paint places green. There were 150 bands marching in new york today ffs. And parades in delhi, china, nigeria , oz and chicago. On the piss 🙂

• 48 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Toon Tang
    I you have time download this (it’s half time )

• 49 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Jail for Ashley has it – so it must be idiot proof !

• 50 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Toon tang

What phone have you got first?

Most sites need Flash player which is incompatible with phones.

You could download an akp called mobdro.

Type it into Google, follow the link, download it but untick trusted sources for downloads. Once installed it’s easy to use.

• 51 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Sand dancer is both a local term for folk from South Shields and a pejorative term for people from the Middle East. Local meanings apart, it is ambiguous at best.

Personally I think it has a an affectionate, even self deprecating ring to it, so real Geordie humour, but knowing some posters on here have both racist and sexist tendencies and a background of being offensive, those persons certainly wouldn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• 52 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM

It’s for androids only as far as I’m aware.

• 53 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:17 PM

I’d download it from the official site tbh not some dodgy sounding foreign one (the way it’s worded is not right, could be wrong though) other things may be embedded in the download you cannot see.

• 54 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Ah sorry lads only just seen replies. My phones a crap sony xperia job so is probably android? Will check them sites for the DL now though cheers.

• 55 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Average is right – use the kosher site he posted

• 56 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM

xperia os is lollipop which is an android clone so should be OK

• 57 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Cheers me muckers will do. Kosher is the way forward eh

• 58 NUFCPaul // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Born and bred in South Shields and I’m proud to be a Sanddancer. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Shields has a beach that’s covered in, guess what? Sand! And I bet there’s been a fair few dances on those beaches over the years. I’m not getting involved in the whole ‘racist’ debate, but I’m just putting it out there that the people of South Shields are happy to be called Sanddancers and I’ve never in my forty years heard anyone complain about it.

• 59 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Imagine we’d added PEA and another solid CB at some point. Post Pardew era though as he may have been used at LB eh

• 60 reilly // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:38 PM

sand dancers-people from south shields.
    geordies-people from newcastle.
    makems-people from _______.
    cockneys-people from london.
    scousers-people from liverpool.

• 61 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Toon Tang there are a few simple browsers out there that will actually play flash. I use card browser to play BBC videos on a blackberry, which is notoriously anti-flash. Being an android phone, albeit a steam powered Android backtrack ha ha you could try installing an early version of Kodi, if you’re going to play streams like Cric free and such you can do it ad – free and way better quality that way.

• 62 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Poolies – people from ‘aartlepool
    Yackers – people from pit villages between snln and ‘aartlepool.
    Smogs / Smoggies / Smogmonsters etc – people from teesside (but mostly from “Burrow”)

• 63 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Monkey Hingers – Poolies as addressed by Yackers…

• 64 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:55 PM

All good info tsunki cheers marra. Just need something for when I’m away from the house. The blog family pulling together like this has brought a tear to my eye i tell thee

• 65 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Might as well chuck my two Bob in ha ha

Of course it’s regionally fixed the term sanddancer is associated with S Shields, but my non-pc dad was known to refer to certain members of the middle eastern races with the same term, something he’d evidently picked up during his war years. It was a different time back then. Given jeffs recent infamous “nig-nog” escape act I would be less than surprised if our wily Web surfing mischief maker seized yet another opportunity to raise controversy by fishing out and homing in on this term for just that very reason.

• 66 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Toon Tang n problem marra, anything else you want to know about Yackers, just shoot! 🙂

• 67 archaeomag // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Arbeia was a large Roman fort in South Shields…..

A possible meaning for “Arbeia” is “fort of the Arab troops”, referring to the fact that part of its garrison at one time was a squadron of Mesopotamian boatmen from the Tigris. We also know that a squadron of Spanish cavalry, the First Asturian, was stationed there

• 68 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

I did no homing in on anything or anybody.
    Sliema and I were having a private confab comparing Malta to S.Shields when the wayward Cruise Missile that is the blog buffoon Mr Tuff decided to make a twat of hisself.

• 69 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Haha we have a dialog brewing now so will know where to come with my questions on the meaning of life and spiralling sexual health problems 😉

• 70 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Im honestly learning more from this blog than I ever did in history class, keep the local history coming people.

• 71 Mister Tuff // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM

If folk want to believe that in the 19th Century some folk were spotted on South Shields beach doing a dance – and henceforth they were known as sand dancers – well i’m afraid I probably would not be able to prick their consciences so as to even harbour the slightest doubt about what they believe.
    Equally the thought that a town with adjacent long beaches would result in the inhabitans being called sand dancers is equally propesterous ( yeh it happens all over Britain where place have long beaches- NOT).
    If folk feel uneasy about it’s probable true origins – don’t use the term anymore.

There’s a few on here who probably want to bring back the Black and White Minstrel show – -once popular and enjoyed countrywide – but not now. Things and perceptions change.
    Nothing the matter with folk challenging my original post – but plenty the matter when challenging through lack of knowledge of all sides of the subject.

• 72 jimmysmith // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Sunderland 3 – Newcastle 23

• 73 Mister Tuff // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Jibberish I certainly did not make -as you put it a t**T out of myself – I merely posted a valid point of interest about the phrases that the blog racist (that’s you by the way) uses.
    You have previous convictions for racist remarks.

• 74 jimmysmith // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:20 PM

We’re at home, I just recalled, so a sounder thrashing then.

• 75 Jib // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM

The vote for best remark today goes to Bettyswallocks.
    It actually made me laugh out loud

” Mr Tuff are you a police informant ?”

It still made me chuckle as I typed it.

• 76 Average_Contents // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Toon tang

Yes it’ll be android.

I’m currently using the Xperia L (my old phone) as my new one (the M4 aqua) is getting fixed. Both pieces of shit (for different reasons) but both capable of kodi and mobdro.

Although on this one I used to have kodi on it but it did have issues of sticking then crashing on me.

Didn’t bother re-installing it for that reason since I’ve been forced to use my old phone again.

If like yourself I’m out and the match is on I probably would but since I’m a man of leisure and courses I’m not going to bother.

Any questions about kodi and how to install it with the respective addons just type “seo Michael” into google and that will give you everything you need.

Sleepy time for this COSS (yes I passed)

• 77 reilly // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:32 PM

calling someone from s/shields a sand dancer is not a racist slur end of.
    its fkin crazy to even think that.behave your fkin self.

• 78 Toon Tang // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:36 PM

AC cheers marra, much appreciated. The xperia range do my nut in as well and like you say for differing reasons but I’m tied to this one at the moment. They’ve got me by the plums good and proper. Cheers again laa

• 79 The Newcastle Armchair // Mar 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Sorry boys but the blogs been a tad boring tonight with all the accent talk

• 80 Blofal // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:01 PM

20 fiercest rivalries in English football. We rank second.

• 81 Belfast // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:30 PM

The people having problems with their phones should turn them off and on again.

• 82 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Remember when PEA was all the rage? He just checked spurs out of Europe. Just thought I’d mention it.

• 83 Tsunki // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:37 PM

I agree if they haven’t tried turning them off then on again then they just haven’t tried.

• 84 Blofal // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:42 PM

I’m looking so forward to this Derby. I’m praying that Taylor doesnt get sent off cos its likely to happen. If we lose i think he might punch a mackem.

• 85 Belfast // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Never fails skunki. I help run a business that does it. Lol

• 86 lesh // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:55 PM

We live and learn. I’d never heard about Shields locals ‘dancing in the sand’ to help save ships.

Sounds more than plausible and not a bit racist.

• 87 lesh // Mar 17, 2016 at 11:58 PM

Hibbit…..this phone will have you as Hobbit – it ain’t me.

• 88 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:46 AM

I will find it shocking if lvg is still managed next season for man utd. I think mourinho is their next manager.

• 89 toonincheek // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:55 AM

I always remember my Uncle telling me that
    a native of South Shields was a Shielydogger.

Anyone else heard that?

• 90 Sliema // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:59 AM

We are sand dancers and sand dancers only. I lived in Shields for 19 years and I never heard of that haha!

And yes definitely sand dancers guys. The pub the sand dancer will most certainly be named in honour of said nickname. It’s not a bad pub these days, brought back to life these last few years. As has the fountain actually near Horsley hill for any of you familiar. Really decent pub these days. Mix of football good cheap food and beer and a good amount of people most nights. Unfortunately not many more though.

• 91 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Jib@26 – My great grandfather was one of those tin miners who came from Cornwall to work in the mines in the north-east.

• 92 Sliema // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Mister tuff

I’m sorry but what the hell are you on about mate? It really does not matter about the origins of the nickname, although I thank you for enlightening me! We are sand dancers and strangely I have found that people all over the uk seem to know this too, none of them say, think or intend it in a racist way, it is an affectionate nickname for me and my townspeople and oddballs like yourself aren’t going to tell me it’s offensive. You are offensive. Bugger off.

• 93 toonincheek // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:13 AM

I’m going back 60 years to when I was a lad.
    19 years is recent.

• 94 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Munster Mag

Very belated reply, but I had a bedsit in Jesmond when I was much younger. It wasn’t so posh then.
    Although it’s probably been gentrified now.

• 95 toonincheek // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:19 AM

And – my uncle was invalided out of the army
    in the First World War after being gassed, so
    go back 100 years for that expression.

• 96 Sliema // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:01 AM

19 years is recent when it’s not from my perspective. Also vs 60 years. I never did hear of it myself anyway. Maybe it got lost in time like many others I’d imagine? Sand dancer stuck anyway.

previous post: Four Surprising Things We’ve Learned About Benitez In Six Days