The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Amazing Offer To Newcastle From Former Player

2:56 pm, Friday, March 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

Former Dutch International striker Patrick Kluivert played for Newcastle from 2004-2005 and in 37 appearances he scored 13 goals even at that time.

And even then – at only 28 years-old – he was past his glorious best.

Patrick has made an amazing offer to Newcastle as he admits he follows the club and wants to help us in this time of need – if he can.

He has offered to come in and do some coaching and work with our strikers in order to help them improve, so they can hopefully start scoring some goals for us.

patrick kluivert sir bobby robson

Patrick Kluivert with Sir Bobby Robson – offers to help Newcastle

Patrick also seems to be a huge Rafa Benitez fan.

This is what he has said speaking to Omnisport:

“They are struggling at the moment. It’s not nice to see a club where you played having such struggles.”  “If you have played for a club, you would like to help them.”

“If they come to me for help I am always happy to speak with them because Newcastle United always stays in my heart.”  “If you have played for a club, you would like to help them.”

“Newcastle is a great club with great players.”  “Every year they succeed in buying good players, but every club needs a good team and if you are a team you can shine as an individual.”

“Rafael Benitez is a good trainer, he has shown that at various clubs.”  “I know him quite well. He’s a trainer who likes to look at the statistics.”

“If he is a good trainer for Newcastle, we will see. I think that he can bring them out of the relegation, that’s really what I think.”

Patrick came to Newcastle in the summer of 2004 and was brought in by Freddy Shepherd, and it was only shortly before Sir Bobby Robson was fired in late August of that year.

Patrick Kluivert, shown above in a recent photo, was the assistant manager of the Netherlands from 2012-2014.

On 5 March 2015, Kluivert took over as manager of the Curacao National football team for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification, but they failed to qualify.

However, last month Kluivert announced his decision to remain head coach of Curacao for the teams’ Caribbean Cup qualifying matches against the Dominican Republic and Barbados.

We’ll have to see if Rafa accepts Patrick’s offer of help.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 the broons // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Hail wor Ashley

Mbemba has made 1 maybe 2 mistakes I can remember since he came. Compare that to the rest of our defenders and the amount of times he has bailed us out more than satisfies my instinct that he is our best defender since Woodgate with the potential to be even better.

Lascelles maybe the lad who you are getting mixed up…

• 2 NoahJ // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM

was one of my favourite players whilst at Barcelona, and was overjoyed when he joined us. Wasn’t the best player for us, but was clearly a talented striker in his career, and I think he could do a job with mitro, perez and armstrong (+/- cisse and doumbia)

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Had a few off feild issues during his time here, but managed just over 1 goal per 3 games non the less. Bloke knows how to find the net, so this is not the worst idea i have read by a long shot!

• 4 shaun83 // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Fancy us to win but damn nervous! Anyone know mackems confidence levels/polls etc? Not seen them play lately

• 5 shaun83 // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM

The broons – I rate mbemba too. However Woodgate was phenomenal and if it wasn’t for injuries would have been the best defender England have seen since Bobby Moore. Sadly his only mistake I can remember (against partisan) led to a horrible course we’ve never really recovered from!

Let’s hope mbemba does get as good as Woodgate, a long way to go though!

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM

I’ve never seen you so downbeat, I know we’re in a pickle at the moment but it really does boil down to one game I believe. If we lose it’s all over, they’ll have four points on us and an extra one for GD and head to head if it came to it, plus the physiological damage and boost it would give would mean it was too much. However if we win, they will be demoralised and we go into a two week break with Rafa getting to have intense training and a lot of players returning from injury. There will be another level of belief going to a poor Norwich side, if and there’s always an if, we beat Norwich the other two will crumble. Under Rafa though the if is a lot more likely than that last under rate chancer we employed.

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Woodgate was signed and sold before we really got any use from him.

I can’t seriously seeing Rafa taken up this offer, could Kluivert be trying to line himself up for the job if we went down and Rafa left.

Mbemba and Lascelles is possibly a pairing to soon given that Mbemba hasn’t had any game time. I reckon Lascelles and Taylor would be the preferred CBs, for this game anyway.

I can’t see us failing to win this game but I felt the same for the last 6 against them so what do I know.

• 8 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp //
    Had a few off feild issues during his time here

Ha ha ha

Couldn’t keep it in his pants you mean 😎

• 9 Lindisfarne // Mar 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Would rather see Mbemba play the next eight matches rather than be brought in early for the Derby.

• 10 Thump // Mar 18, 2016 at 4:16 PM

You can hear his training sessions now: “Right lads, so this is the Bigg Market — always a good place to find some willing birds.”

• 11 stuart no9 // Mar 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM

due to the obvious hatred between rafa and sam, does anyone get the feeling that one of the reasons rafa came to newcastle was to finally finish sam off ( have the final word) and send him and sunderland down in the championship ??? Yeah it could easily backfire BIG TIME , however, imagine the feeling of content , the sheer satisfaction of getting one over someone you hate , a rift that goes back about 10 years being resolved in a couple of months – and get paid for it . phew, i bet this is on both managers mind . what a way to sort an arguemernt out ,
    Lets help rafa gain the bragging rights , coz i really believe -beat sunderland and wwe will be ok .

• 12 the broons // Mar 18, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Ok, maybe a little early to be making such comparisons but my statement stands that he is the best defender we have had since him, although that isn’t difficult.

The reason I felt the need to comment was because ashley compared Mbemba to Bramble which is abseloute ludacris.

• 13 the broons // Mar 18, 2016 at 4:42 PM

That is a toughy.

• 14 Hail Wor Ashley // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM

3 big Mebmba mistakes from the top of my head. just since the turn of the year so fresh in the mind:

Handball for a penalty when he lost his man.

When he tried to bring it out from the back and passed straight to the opponent, setting them up for a counter and he just jogged back.

Pass back to keeper which was a beautiful assist for Jelavic.

All this since 1st Jan 2016, all him solely responsible. Easy to recall for those without a selective memory. Sure if I went digging I could find more from earlier in the season.

Also it’s ludicrous, not Ludacris the rapper.

• 15 WWSBRD // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Howay get them all back each pf our old guns can take a striker and which ever one fires home the goals gets a coaching job with us next season?

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Do you think that a Huddersfield woman gave birth to nine pound trout?

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Good afternoon
    My problem that the players were at a so LOW with McClaren his tactics and team selection.
    For the last few games they had lost the plot playing as a team – just became a bunch of individuals getting paid for humping the ball up the pitch – it was bloody awful, soul destroying to watch.

What did my heed in was that we played so bead against Bournemouth and yet when we brought the game back to 2-1 – there was no urgency commitment, passion to try and get it back to 2-2. They had 10 minutes plus add on time but the players did not give a F**k to try just aimlessly wandered around passing the ball back to Elliot to hoof upfield – and the third goal just summed up the TOON.

And I think the Mackem game is coming to soon and Benitez ain’t had much time to mould them as a ‘Team’ and to get their mojo back.

• 18 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Used to see him on Osbourne Road chasing the student skirt, pi$$ed as a rat. I think he’s just queing up his mid life crisis. I’m not against him coming to coach, I am however very dubious about his motives.

• 19 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:09 PM

if you can only think of three miscues in the entire season hes played, id say that is decent,.. how many can we search about colo?

• 20 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM

With reference to the Mbemba/Bramble debate, which is an interesting, if slightly unfair comparison, can anybody else remember seeing Bramble paired up with Woodgate? With Woody keeping Bramble in check and barking orders at him, Bramble looked and played class. Perhaps we need a verbal Centre Half to play with Mbemba? Can Lascales shout and organise?

• 21 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM

JFA – your post at 6 was brilliantly put, that’s exactly what I think will happen, the bottom 3 after the next 2 games will be the 3 going down, this has to be the biggest derby to date…

The one thing that is sticking in my throat though and it makes me so angry is the team have bottled it every time they have been built up this season, I just fear their lack of steel could cause problems as 9 days in reality is a very short time to get a dysfunctional and bereft of any confidence squad to come flying out of the blocks to do what needs to be done.

• 22 barkel // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Chancel mbemba he’s our best defender!

I think comparing him to bramble could be a bit harsh. Sure he made a couple of mistakes but name one member of our squad who hasn’t this season!

On topic wouldn’t be a bad shout to get extra shooting coaches in, pretty sure Tino has offered as well.

Looking forward to the Derby, it’s been years since I was in St.James

• 23 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Has there actually only been 22 comments? Or is my page stuck?

• 24 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM

• 25 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM

• 26 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM

• 27 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM

• 28 ShirebrookToon // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:31 PM

• 29 martoon // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:31 PM

YCMIU – yep it’s quiet on the blog tonight.

• 30 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Has been all day. Cam before the storm!

• 31 lesh // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Colo’s out so it saves him from being there to drop clangers. And if Saylor’s out, he’ll not get a red or give away a daft penalty. It’s just a pity that Charnley saw £500k as better than having a steady CB available.

Rafa hasn’t much to play with and he’ll have done a wonderful job if he can get the players he has to play as a team. A goal or five wouldn’t go amiss either.

Interesting that Tino and Kleivert have offered to coach our misfiring strikers and it’s just a pity that Shearer and Ashley couldn’t make up over the way Al was treated disrespectfully.

A little bit of bridge-building wouldn’t do any harm and maybe Al might feel up to giving the lads the benefit of his experience as one of the best strikers of his time.

• 32 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM

I wonder what Andreas Anderson is doing? Maybe he could pass on a few little gems?

• 33 beermonkey // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:49 PM

rafa spoke to shearer about taking the job, maybe they spoke about him coming in

• 34 Munster Mag // Mar 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Mbemba shouldnt be in the same sentence as Woodgate. Mbemda is an above average defender, maybe a good bit above average. Woodgate was class. Far cooler, with MILES superior reading of the game.

• 35 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Have to admit this is the most nervous I’ve been approaching a match since our last relegation season. It really is all on the line for us. It wouldn’t be impossible to stay up if we loss but surely the odds would swing a long way against us.

• 36 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Agreed Munster, besides, Mbemba is a young lad still learning his craft, and much as I would love another Woodgate, its very unlikely, thats not to say he isnt a good defender, just Woody was a bit special.

• 37 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM

G2, relax mate, we got this covered.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Should say if we lost. I’m still confident though. The players will come through for wor Rafa.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:45 PM

It feels good to say wor Rafa instead of wor Wally doesn’t it?

• 40 nufc786 // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Thauvin with a beauty of a goal…

• 41 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Well, if you’re sure G mate.

• 42 the broons // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Sorry for my poor spelling, however you are still harshly criticising our youngest first team defender who in my opinion has been our best player this season.

• 43 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Chancel Mbemba! Chancel Mbemba!
    Oooh! Aaahhh!

• 44 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Totally am G2

• 45 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM

If we drop a honey badger down Saylor’s pants just prior to kickoff would this help him stay focused? Just offering up some options….

• 46 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:50 PM

I feel that a lot of high pitched screaming coming from Saylor might just put the mackems off a bit…..

• 47 cyprus // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM

In truth this guy was crap at nufc. So much expectation, so little delivery.

Anyway bring on the curacao manager. That’s a decent managerial CV right there.

So two more games for the one which decides it all. Rafa, I ain’t deifying you till you start winning. It’s only fair. If your record is like carver’s you get analogous respect. Sorry. Keep me up and you get sainthood status. Not before.

• 48 cyprus // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Two more days

• 49 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM

I dont think focus is STs prob, the problem is he is too keen, and tries to cover all the back positions himself, which leaves him out of position, and prone to haste. He played some brilliant football under Roeder, as young Roeder was the same. We need Rafa to keep him zonal rather than go for the nearest man approach. I still think ST is a good defender, but needs careful coaching to bring the best out.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM

If we stay up and go on to cup glory under Rafa I see a statue being built outside the stadium. If we go down I foresee a long line of supporters waiting to pee in Schteve’s back pockets.

• 51 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Have to agree G mate. So I’ll hold on to my honey badger for now then…..

• 52 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Did I mention my honey badgers name is Hacksaw? Nasty looking teeth on him. I wouldn’t want him down my pants….

• 53 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM

If theres a honey badger going spare theres a wally in the Carribean whom deserves one?

• 54 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

I do fancy a trip to the Caribbean G mate. I’ll have to pack some extra raw meat for Hacksaw. Dessert will be Wally’s winkie.

• 55 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Assuming he has one!

• 56 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Small Scrotum
    He’s the man, the man with the tiny knob
    And a nasty gob
    Such a small scrotum
    Beckons you to sign him up
    But don’t be fooled

• 57 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Sung to Goldfinger of course.

• 58 GeordieTwo // Mar 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Howay the lads!!!!
    Attack! Attack! Attack!!!!

• 59 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Easy mate, Rafa has this, Fat Shams still terrified, and the player who made the difference is a dirty nonce. We only have to keep Defoe in check, and the game is ours, simples.

• 60 jane // Mar 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Karanka celebrated Boro’s goal with some feeling.
    their first shot on target in the 91st min.

• 61 goommy // Mar 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM

He’s almost never talk about us when things going well for him. So why now? That’s a big question and I don’t like it. I’m sure he has his own selfish reason so NO!!

• 62 Hail Wor Ashley // Mar 18, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Wish we had a crap ST that could score a mere 13 goals in a season now. Wouldn’t be in this state now if Mitrovic had notched such figures and he’s had enough chances to.

• 63 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Mbemba may have been poor but overall he’s decent defender. Better than the rest we have. .
    Mbemba still has a long way to go to be anywhere near Woodgate level who was world class on his day.

Mbemba right now not fit to wear Woodgate laces even..

• 64 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Mbemba on the whole has been very good this year, in a not great side. Let the lad play in a good team under Rafa and should flourish.

• 65 Munster Mag // Mar 18, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Only if he has a composed tall centre half beside him. Oh for a gary pallister

previous post: Benitez Press Conference Comments – Injury Update