The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez In Vital Communication To Fans Before Massive Game

11:50 am, Friday, March 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Rafa Benitez has taken a leaf (a good leaf) out of Steve McClaren’s book and sent out an email to Newcastle fans before the really important derby game against Sunderland on Sunday afternoon – as the Spaniard tries everything to try to save us from a second relegation in seven years.

That would be almost impossible to bear.

rafa-benitez-sigining-scarf-sjp-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400

Rafa Benitez – calls for wall of sound on Sunday

This is the email that Rafa has sent out:

“As you know, work began with intensity from the moment my coaching staff and I arrived. Our first job is to make sure we remain a Premier League club and this week we have committed everything we have to making that happen.”

“Whilst the result on Monday at Leicester wasn’t what we wanted, I was pleased with parts of what I saw. We have worked intensively on the areas that need improvement and I am confident we go into Sunday’s game well-prepared.”

A Black & White Army…

“I have been in the opposing dug-out at St. James’ Park and I know that when I take my place on the home side, I will be backed by some of the most passionate fans in the world. In fact, the strength of your famous support is one of the many things that drew me to this club.”

“On Sunday, Sunderland’s team will face not only the 11 players on the pitch, but a 50,000-strong army. I hope you will not underestimate the importance of the role you will play on Sunday; you can make the crucial difference for us.”

“Let’s create a wall of sound and a tide of black and white. I am sure there will be respect on both sides, that’s important, but I have no doubt that the atmosphere you will create will be electrifying and imposing.”

You cannot accuse Rafa Benitez of not believing the fans are the life-blood of Newcastle United – and it’s one huge reason he joined Newcastle and shocked us all exactly a week ago.

We need to get those black and white scarves out and we’re a little surprised the club haven’t made some effort to ask fans to bring their scarves along to the game.

But hey – Rafa’s asking for a tide of black and white so those going to the game on Sunday – bring your scarf along or anything else black and white – including those painted faces that should help scare the life out of the Sunderland players.

Always a good move.

🙂

Rafa’s basically doing everything he possibly can for his home debut to win the game.

That includes a plea to the great Geordie fans to help him and the team in trying to get the win we desperately need, so we can hopefully get a string of wins together that can yet save us from relegation.

What a manager!

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Fans · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Thump // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:03 PM

A call to arms. Come on Rafa!

• 2 giimps // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Rafa the gaffas black and white army, no gouffy, no squidward and only a bit part play for Sissoko .
    Get pace in behind them and watch them crumble.

• 3 tweaked // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM

we seriously need a like button here , Thump is 100% correct

We finally have a manager who can motivate the players and the fans to stand up and fight for each other and give 110% on that pitch to keep us up

• 4 JamRec // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:26 PM

You heard the man, lets bring the sound 🙂 I haven’t been this excited for a football in a long time!! This is how we should feel before a big derby!

• 5 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM

you’ll be hearing my clan cheering all the way from texas at 8 in the morning… already warned the neighbors about the din ill be causing..

• 6 Ron Knee // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:33 PM

hibbitt

I saw John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green at the Mayfair in 66 or 67. The only time I went there, I think.

• 7 BeeGuy // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM

I’ll add all the noise I can from home in the North Carolina, in the USA. And I’ll be wearing black and white, too.

• 8 Munster Mag // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM

You can add my screams from across the Irish sea. I think we will win but am concerned that we are not getting players near enough to mitro and that he is too slow to play up front on his own. He also could nearly relegate us if he gets sent off. Tbh i didnt think we did as well as people make out v leicester, but they are hard to play against.

• 9 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM

another smart move by rafa. less than two weeks hes inspiring confidence of the fans and the players. I think everyone can agee sissoko was once a very good play who lost his way this year and at the end last year. By rafa singling him out he must think this is the best way to get a top preformance from him. Although he has SUCKED this year, our team is better if hes playing 100%. Its so clear the difference between a top coach and the clueless scrubs weve had in the past.

• 10 Jib // Mar 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Hibbit
    Just seen your post

Remember it was just a month after decimalisation so most folk would still call it 15 shillings – at that time that would get you 20 Bensons and 5 or 6 pints !

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Dok
    You couldn’t make it over then? Pity, mate.

• 12 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Blackley,

unfortunately, life intervened… the wife was in tears when she told me it wasn’t possible… but mind if I sit next to you in spirit? 🙂

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Sorry about that Dok. It might the last opportunity for a very long time too.

• 14 Spacepyramids // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:18 PM

All set to go from Egypt!!!!!! Aiwa – can’t wait……..

• 15 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM

keep the faith blackley… as long as we stay up, im happy…

any way someone can pick me up a scarf from the match? id pay for the help on that…

• 16 DeanToon88 // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I’ve noticed that st james park is quite muted lately, it’s only the gallowgate end that draws noise, the rest of the stadium is just people there for the day out, the whole stadium needs to be bouncing, 52 thousand newcastle fans shouting would absolutely terrify teams, but it never happens.

The atmosphere in st james park is always quiet, I mean sure the team isn’t doing good at the moment but at least roar the players on and give them the confidence to play

Bring back the scarves and bands, bring back the noise and passion to st james park, if leicester’s 32000 fans can get the king power stadium bouncing then I’m sure 52000 geordies can get st’james bouncing.

• 17 G // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:29 PM

@16, remember Shearer’s tesimonial, when the club gave out the scarves, and everybody was swinging them round? That sent shivers up my spine with excitement. We need to be doing that again. Howay the lads.

• 18 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Well cheers Rafa, that’s got the hairs on the back of me neck standing to attention!! Talk about a rallying call! wish I had a ticket for this one.. Sunday can’t come soon enough.

• 19 tomellifred360 // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Will be singing and shouting in deepest, darkest West Sussex!

• 20 DeanToon88 // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:58 PM

The players need to know they are playing for a huge club, and the fans are one of the biggest features of a large club,get behind the team and roar the lads on

Toon Toon Black and white army!! HWTL

• 21 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 18, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Absolutely can’t wait for Sunday. Win or lose, with Rafa there is hope, and everyone in the ground will no doubt show support for what he’s trying to do by being vocal.

• 22 Big Archie // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Isnt it strange that when a message is put out, obviously by the club and not the players , declaring their unwavering support for McClaren the club gets slated.

Now that the club and not benitez has put out a message to the fans, we all jump behind him.

How do we know its the club? Because Benitez cant speak English like that!

• 23 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:06 PM

My missus will be trying hard to make me keep a lid on my shouting as she reckons the whole street can hear me.

I’m usually a very quiet laid back sort of person, it’s a wonder I don’t turn green and shred my clothes when our games are on the box.

Hope Rafa hasn’t knackered our lot with his double training sessions, although I’d bet that a lot of it is tactics etc.

• 24 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Big Archie, the statement is pretty much disregarded as PR. Benitez being Benitez has the general unwavering support regardless of a statement, but because of his managing career. The opposite is the case for Pinocchio and McClaren as they should never have had the jobs to start with.

• 25 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM

unfortunately I’ll be taking the game in on sky. It’s in the back of my mind that once again they will, in their wisdom, have the big donkey Quinn doing his ‘impartial’ sarcastic commentary, sitting in the sip studio. They had better not or I predict my foot will be going through the telly.

• 26 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM

* SJP not sip!

• 27 sing in the corner // Mar 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Watching the cricket…
    England are making a right bollix of it again 🙁

previous post: This Classy Player Could Become Key Under Benitez