The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ashley – Newcastle Have Nothing Left In The Bank

7:49 am, Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Mike Ashley has been interviewed in The Times and as well as saying he regrets getting into football he says there is virtually nothing left in the Bank because the current Board have spent it.

Ashley has left it to Lee Charnley and the Newcastle Board to run the club for the last year – and it would appear we are in a complete mess at the moment, even though the club has spent £82M on transfers this season.

lee charnley and mike ashley

Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley

This is what Ashley has told The Times and George Caulkin:

“There is virtually nothing left now. They have emptied it. I have virtually nil affect on Newcastle in reality because I only pick the board.”

“But there is negativity around me as an individual when it comes to Newcastle, so the best thing was to make sure it was on solid ground and then step back and get them to self manage Newcastle.”

“Create a board, get the board to appoint the manager, put the manager on the board as well and then not interfere.”

“I don’t know what players they sign, I don’t know what team they are going to pick on a Saturday.”

“Do I regret getting into football? The answer is yes. I’ve had tons of fun in it but I haven’t been able to make the difference I wanted to make in football.”

“I wanted to help Newcastle. I wanted to make it better. But I haven’t seemed to be able to have that affect.”

“I think everyone can agree we’ve had a proper go at it this season, but the results haven’t been ideal.”

Ashley seems to be having a go at Lee Charnley and while that’s not surprising it’s come a little late.

It was obvious last year at this time that Lee was a weak senior manager who didn’t seem to know what to do when John Carver was losing all those games and we were in danger of relegation – so he did nothing.

And it seems Newcastle have gone for broke with Rafa Benitez – and if we are relegated it will not be good and Rafa will leave the club after a short three months stay on Tyneside.

The club have been very poorly run over the last year or two by people who don ‘t seem to have the skill or the necessary experience or guile to run Newcastle and we have struggled both on and off the field because of that.

This news will come as a shock to Newcastle fans although we will be getting around £80M in May whether we go down or not so the coffers will be replenished at the end of this season.

But as we’ve said many times before, this is what happens when you put incompetent people in charge of an organization who don’t seem to know what to do when a crisis comes – and so have often done nothing.

We sound like a broken record, but the lack of decisiveness and senior management action, coupled with too much dithering around when real decisions needed to be made have put Newcastle into a very dangerous position at this moment – and if we are relegated things could (will) get a lot worse.

We hope Rafa can save us from relegation and we can then recover financially and on the field too, but this news from Ashley is really scary – although not entirely unexpected because of the ineptitude of those running the club.

The chickens have come home to roost at Newcastle – or so it would seem.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Other News

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 sing in the corner // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM

Not the best time to be releasing this type of statement, I would suggest. But hey, I’m not a multi millionaire businessman..

• 2 spitfire_ // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM

Apart from those 24 millions for Berahino.

• 3 firebug666 // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Q. What is the relation ship between Newcastle, Rangers and Sports Direct?

A. It is beneficial to Sports Direct.

Nuff said really!

• 4 Munster Mag // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM

As someone who has been banging on about Carr for a long time now, I would be happy to see him retire. It was probably Leicesters exploitation of the french market that really exposed how poor he has been, and how overly tuned into Mondial players he is, and how onsessed he was with lightweight wingers. I have no doubt he was instrumental in choosing McClareb, given Charnleys limited knowledge of football, and he also steered us towards Remi Garde who has been a shocking appointment by Villa. A favourite of Ashley and a really overrated scout.

• 5 hibbitt // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM

on sunday moncur in his meet and greet roll was saying to anyone who would listen that board were confidant of rafa staying even if we go down

• 6 FrankfurtMag // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Maybe the daft Transfer Window stories will stop now.

• 7 firebug666 // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Now now, that’s just taking wishful thinking too far, according to reports Newcastle are already chasing summer targets.

• 8 hibbitt // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM

for that to happen Bishop will have to go PR bullshit

• 9 Mag52 // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM

“I only pick the board” says Ashley. “I have virtually nil effect on Newcastle United”.
    If ever anyone was condemned out of his own mouth, it was this statement.

• 10 ToonMatt // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Is this him admitting that he’s finally going to sell up and go?
    He’s solely responsible for the mess this club is in and He can’t blame anyone else, I hope to God he’s looking to sell up.

• 11 Munster Mag // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:04 AM

We could be looking at a Leeds United here guys. Relegation is now more likely than when Rafa arrived because we failed to win the 6 pointer, and still look awful and unlikely to win at Norwich. We were 6 mins away from relegation, and I’m not sure a draw will be enough at Norwich. If we go down, Rafa will leave unless huge funds are promised, which they wont be. Nigel Pearson would be the smart appointment if we go down, but he will be gone to Villa. Bizarrely, he might have been a smarter appointment than Rafa, who has little familiarity with poor players, relegation trouble and is not known for his motivational abilities. We’ll be back to normal crappy NUFC managers, and mid table security. Dear oh dear, why did Mackems get Sam. Was always going to be bad news for us and he has bought really well. That said, if Rafa can help us win at Norwich, the ball game changes big time.

• 12 firebug666 // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:05 AM

That would be nice mate, but I think he plans on staying for the long term. If we go down it is rumoured that he will sell his shares in Rangers, but there is nothing about him selling us.

• 13 lochinvar // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Incisive and so very true.
    Ashley, ” I have virtually nil effect on Newcastle United” ?
    Beggars belief really – Ashley bought the club, invested in the club and neglected the running of the club. I would call that having a significant effect – for all the wrong reasons

• 14 ToonMatt // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:09 AM

firebug666, Just wishful thinking on my part mate, We have all suffered since he bought us, maybe one day we will see the back of him though fingers crossed.

• 15 Jib // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Not quite true , NUFC get a few bob at the end of the season

(PREDICTED) Premier League Prize Money Table For 2015-2016

1 Leicester City £90.9m
    11 Stoke City £75.2m
    12 Crystal Palace £74.7m
    13 Chelsea £85.8m
    14 Swansea £71.6m
    15 Bournemouth £70.4m
    16 Swansea City £69.2m
    17 Newcastle Utd £74.7m
    18 Norwich City£66.6m
    19 Sunderland £67.1m
    20 Aston Villa £66.6m

• 16 AncientC // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Oh dear, Ashley has starved the livestock and now SD’s milk supply is in danger.

Now, only after leaving the livestock unfed and without a good farmer to look after them, his prize herd have fallen ill.

Throwing in a few new prize cows, putting down more hay for them and running to the vet at the last possible moment, is a life or death gamble.

Can the vet save the herd? Or will SD’s sustenance be low this coming season.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM

What happened to “my door”?

Jib…I was thinking the same thing. Not like Ashley to forget about a huge pile of cash due seasons end.

Fingers crossed for that extra £8m (approx). Doesn’t sound like he’s had much of a change of heart, does it?

“Don’t come crying to me for more money” – There was me thinking this was HIS thing?

• 18 Average_Contents // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:18 AM

Well, according to jizz lastnight, Jamestoon was talking shite when he mentioned this.

Another fail in an endless list of them.

My thoughts exactly. I read the statement then had to read it again because I couldn’t believe he said it.

Contradictory isn’t the word.

Ashley out!

• 19 firebug666 // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM

He came in, and hired idiots to run the football side of the club, while he himself stripped the club of valuable assets, which he transferred to Mash Holdings, and then went on to give free gratis and for nothing, all the advertising space to SD, all the merchandising at every level to SD.

He left the club with only gate and sponsorship income and the TV money.

Oh he had a direct effect on our downfall, and still does.

The fans will always be the ones that suffer, they spend hard earned cash on the club, but everyone else involved with the club rake in the greenbacks, the treat the fans like mushrooms, keeping them in the dark and feeding them on sh1t.

Only one man is to blame, but he is pleading that it’s not his fault, it down to the people he hired……….Erm!

• 20 toon kk // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:24 AM

I think anyone could have told MA leaving Carr and the clueless Charnley in charge would help him waste millions. Tbf MA went into self distrust every time he kept selling our best player’s and not replacing them.
    It’s taken a few seasons and some ridiculous decisions but the inevitable has finally caught up, Relegation looms.

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:24 AM

This is Ashley wiping his hands off any responsibility incase we go down. Not the best move right now tbh and not entirely true either. Then again it is what it is and there’s no doubt we’re in deep deep trouble.

• 22 Mag52 // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:24 AM

We’re on the way to the abattoir.

• 23 NoahJ // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:26 AM

What a strange thing to say publicly, and the timing couldn’t be worse. Even if we had no money left, why tell us now when it makes no difference, and only further bleakens the future?

I’m afraid I have no sympathy for Ashley; he’s messed about with this club for so many years and just because his “given it a go” quick-fix hasn’t paid off, that doesn’t excuse the many previous years of mismanagement, grossly negligent risk-taking, and downright ignorance (I’m still waiting to hear where all of the justifications for the models for their transfer policy and management systems are- they don’t work!)

• 24 Jib // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Ashley is trying to avoid appearing in front of a Parliamentary committee in June.
    His advisers have clearly told him that being secretive and tight-lipped about any of his affairs is not helpful.

• 25 jimmysmith // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:31 AM

EllaGuru // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    @jimmysmith 64
    You say Lascelles does not fill you with confidence, yet Colo does? Colo is the most dishonest CB in the Premier League. He has no fight, desire nor leadership skills. Yes he has a decent first touch, but lacks all the other attributes required of a CB in the Premier League.

In fact I said “To be frank, the likes of Perez, Mitro and Lascelles don’t fill me with confidence in this intensely pressurised, almost desperate, situation.” Based on their relative inexperience, and largely modest contributions.

I also at no point said Colo does fill me with confidence, although I did indicate a preference for him over Lascelles, based on his achievement and experience over a long career.

Could you provide some balanced evidence to justify your wholly damning assessment of his ability and character?

• 26 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 22, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Ian Toon // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    I see the usual incoherent rants against all things Ashley without any balance or supporting case being made. What mistakes has Ashley made this season.?

““All I can say is; there is a bank account. When you have emptied it, it’s empty. Don’t come crying to me for more money,”
    The words of a responsible engaged owner, trying to see the business run efficiently and effectively, or an excuse for repeated failure ‘wisnae me’

Hardly incoherent. It’s the Ashley apologists who lack judgement.
    Start with the 8 years of on field failure, dodging relegation between games 36-38 every other season and repeatedly poor management decisions.

And where do you want us to start this season?
    How about picking the Board and lack of oversight (especially financial by his comments) ?
    That should cover 90% of it.

• 27 derekm // Mar 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM

shrewd stuff this, Ashleys PR men organising a charm offensive, actually giving interviews, appearing on the news showing visitors around his Derbyshire sweat shop just as he is being chased by a house of commons committee to appear before them, or else. I feel his empire is shrinking on so many levels we are the least of his worries. relegation means nothing compared to being banged up!

previous post: Report Graham Carr Could Leave Newcastle