The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Gets Tough With Newcastle Slackers

7:20 pm, Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Rafa Benitez is attempting to improve the atmosphere to be a more positive one at the Benton training grounds as he tries to somehow engineer a way to save Newcastle United from relegation this season.

The Mirror is reporting today that Rafa may banish some of Newcastle’s more moody stars from the training ground and he is ready to identify those players who are not showing the necessary determination or fight and they will not be allowed in the training ground.

Rafa only wants players absolutely committed to keeping Newcastle in the Premier League and maybe for those leaving in the summer – like Cheick Tiote as one example – maybe they are not bothered enough and Rafa seems to have recognized that.

rafa benitez in training

Rafa Benitez – on the training ground

Maybe the ones Rafa is identifying are some of the bad eggs in the squad that have been talked about in the past – and we will see which players get banished – if any – in the days ahead.

Rafa is certainly not messing around since he arrived on Tyneside – and he will get the full backing of the Newcastle fans – that’s for sure.

It looks like Rafa wants to pick the top 20 players who will form the squad who will train together and bond together and be the ones Rafa chooses the team from in each of the final eight games of the season, which will decide Newcastle’s fate.

Rafa wants to improve the team spirit and form a greater bond between the players he thinks have the will, determination, guts, skill – you name it – to ensure Newcastle can survive this season.

This is what Rafa has said:

“I am here because I have to give the team confidence and we have to improve things. Against Sunderland, in the second half, there were a lot of good things but not enough.”

“We now have the international break and we can keep working with the rest of the players that will be here, and hopefully we can improve. We have eight games to play, and we know that it could be difficult.”

“What we have to do is to prepare for the next game, try to analyse what we did badly and try to change these things.”

It seems like Rafa is seeking any advantage he can get, because it looks like Newcastle will need to win five of our final eight games to definitely survive this season – that’s going to be very difficult.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Long live Rafa’s reign!!!
    Ashley Out!!! Unless he keeps Rafa and spends 80M!!!

• 2 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Rafa In!

• 3 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Hmmm. Try to analyse what we did badly….. well there was that part where the team stepped onto the pitch just before kick off….then there was the game part…. I think it wasn’t so bad after the tunnel…

• 4 9 // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Jail, get it right, lad “Long live Rafa” appointed and paid for by Mr Ashley, and “Ashley Out!” Seems some inconsistency here. I agree Rafa is a top class (and therefore unexpected given how penny-conscious our owner has been up until last summer) appointment, but based on Sunday’s pathetic show, he hasn’t got enough time. We go down, Rafa says Bye-bye, then what?

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM

9, I would suggest you read my full post before claiming it is inconsistent.

• 6 AncientC // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Can anybody confirm if in fact, it was Ian Toon that built Solomon’s Temple?

“Ian Toon // Mar 22, 2016 at 6:16 PM

The 33% fall in SD. Share price is only a paper loss. The” worst fears” only arise in the event that were relegated. I prefer to focus on staying up and will countenance the alternative if and when! It just an excuse for many ( I’m not pointing the finger) to have a go – he’s not the first sacrificial lamb for me.
    Ashley is rightly standing up to the likes of The Beast of Bolsover.”

Timothy Bryce: “Don’t you know anything about Sri Lanka? About how the Sikhs are killing like tons of Israelis over there?”

• 7 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:38 PM

The number 9 just drags his shot wide….Ooohhh so close 🙂

• 8 AncientC // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Ian Toon, a man of British Ceylon.

• 9 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:40 PM

I see the point you are making 9, though. There seems to be undue complacency disguised as full blooded support. If, or more likely when, we submerge, there are a number of unpalatable scenarios awaiting this club, the least of which is Rafa jetting off to Spain.

• 10 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Ancient – more tea, vicar?

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Despite claims I have never actually spat coffee all over my keyboard, or lager either for that matter but when you said about Ian Toon being the one getting mounted in a threesome if I was drinking either I might have spilled a little on to my chin and over garment.

• 12 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Where’s BandB these days?

• 13 Tsunki // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Ah yes I spotted that one 🙂

• 14 ShirebrookToon // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:45 PM

BandB is plotting the downfall of the evil Mike Ashley, she is actually an MP and is heating things up in the Commons.
    Can you imagine how proud I’ll be when the headline in the Daily Star is

• 16 AncientC // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Jail for Ashley – I was a little worried I had overstepped the mark with that one – I quickly switched the subject to first choice CB pairings. (I was going to blame Tuff for any recourse anyway)

• 17 Ian Toon // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Jail- BandB left because you stopped listening to her. That’s why you’re flailing around and producing incoherent gobbledegook.

• 18 9 // Mar 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Jail@5: I take it you refer to “Unless he keeps Rafa and spends £80m”? which of course I read. I believe you understand Rafa leaves “if” (= when) we go down. I also believe I have read in multiple reliable sources our owner has spent more than any other Premier League owner this season, so it seems somewhat pie-in-the-sky to shout at him to spend an additional £80 m.
    Your views are clear from your name and every post you make: as you’re perfectly entitled to. But who do YOU think authorised and is paying for Rafa?

• 19 mattyNUFC // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:19 AM

Lol. BnB an MP?

If that were true she’d have been sacked for negligence as she spends all her time on here.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Mar 23, 2016 at 9:36 AM

You need to read it right through

previous post: It’s Do Or Die For Rafa Benitez At Newcastle