The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Ready To Use Every Player Who Is Committed

1:55 pm, Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

Rafa Benitez is getting some decent players back from injury and two who returned and played on Sunday against Sunderland were Chancel Mbemba and Papiss Cisse – so that was good to see and we thought Chancel in particular looked good at the back for Newcastle.

Two other players who are now fit and training with the first team squad are fringe players Gabby Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux, and Rafa seems to have been pleased they are back in training with good attitudes and working hard.

gabby obertan soutmaton first game

Gabby Obertan – fit again

Rafa was asked in the Chronicle today if the two of them have some part to play for Newcastle through the end of the season:

“Yes, for sure, they are working hard. They are listening to us and trying to do what we are asking them. I think you can see the commitment from everybody.”

“We can’t complain about anybody because they are working hard and they are ready. And even when they have little things going on they are ready to train and impress.”

“We’ll see how the other strikers are. Obviously, he’s training and it’s good news for us.”

Both Gabby and Sylvain are expected to leave Newcastle when their contracts run out at the end of June, but there´s  no reason why they cannot help Newcastle stay in the Premier League.

In particular, when Obertan is on form he can be a very good winger who can set up chances – so we are not too surprised that Rafa says the two of them can still play a part and help Newcastle.

Papiss Cisse being fit comes at a very good time for Newcastle and Papiss himself seems very keen to help Newcastle – so we need to see Papiss somewhere near his best and he could get a good few goals for us in the final eight games.

That´s what we need – goals to win games.

Two other players we hope will be fit for the game at Norwich are captain Fabricio Coloccini and left-back Sadio Haidara – and both could possibly start that game.

It will be good to get these players back – and now the challenge will be to keep them fit.

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Gabriel Obertan · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News · Sylvain Marveaux

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mag52 // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Obertan could be the dark horse in our outfit who might just set up a few goals for the likes of Mitro and Wini.
    I’ll long remember that header, early in the season, set up by Obers and finished off by Wini. What a cracker !

• 2 WWSBRD // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Good impact sub but won’t start any games I’d imagine Sissoko is our best player and Townsend is a driving force moving forward, Gabbys pace late on in games could really benefit us though

• 3 Wayayman // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Hail, from last post. I admire your positivity. 😉

• 4 John Akomfrah // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM

good koko might not start

• 5 Bambams // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM

For all the negativity within the club we can play in parts…Even under Mac at times I could see improvements on the pitch – problem was they were too few and games apart.

Now under Rafa I genuinely believe for the first time since SBR we have a manager who is going to change our results and not just sit in the dugout with fingers crossed.

I think our biggest problem is our movement when in possession. There clubs sometimes have three, four or five players in the box during attacks – we are lucky if we have two. Which brings us back to the negativity from previous coaches who were too afraid to be beaten so set up a defensive team. Goals win games, more chances we create more chances to score.

It ain’t worked sitting back, I am not suggesting ‘gung-ho’ Football but we need to stop being so lazy and back up our strikers AND get back to help the defence.

Long one this for me !

• 6 robertsleftfoot // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM

WWSBRD – Good impact sub but won’t start any games I’d imagine Sissoko is our best player !!!!

Are you having me on?? Sissoko has under performed week after week yet somehow has managed to keep his place for no other reason than reputation and we are crap.

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM

It would take more than a miracle to keep this lot up. I’m all about rebuilding in the summer for the championship looking to bounce back to premier league at first go.

If rafa can keep us up it would surely be another golden lining in his already world class CV.

• 8 Average_Contents // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:11 PM

That made me laugh nearly as much as the image of master multiple getting mounted 😉

Sissoko the best player and alien heed having an impact.

The only impact I’d imagine him having is when his face hit the ground after tripping over the ball.

That’s after obviously forgetting the ball in the first place. Then forgetting he’s actually playing football.

Sorry mate but he’s poo.

• 9 Average_Contents // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM

Yeah that was good. I seem to remember a goal in a 1-0 win. Might of been Leicester last season.

In near 6 years that’s it.

Sad really but we definitely got sold a pup with him.

• 10 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM

After watching the Super Striker video, I hope the Norwich defenders are the same as those ones.

Obertan was looking very good before his last spate of injuries.

If Rafa can reduce the injuries our lot seem prone to then some of the supposedly rubbish players might actually turn out to be ‘Good’ ?

• 11 hibbitt // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Mag52 / Essex

Oberton couldn’t save nectar points never mind us

• 12 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Anyone know if Curtis Good is still injured?

Just wondering if he could end up being a left back option seeing as we have no one else currently fit unless someone makes a come back

• 13 Average_Contents // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Sorry mate but you can’t polish a turd.

• 14 davis_toons // Mar 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Jonas Gutierrez lawsuits will cause some negative effects on the players. Comes at the wrong time.

• 15 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 4:02 PM

We’re missing a flair player. Ben Arfa is a player that would’ve kept us up. Marveaux should be given a chance. He creates great chances. Doumbia needs to play.

• 16 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Looks like Sterling is out for the rest of the season so wont be playing us when City play us in a few weeks

• 17 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Greetings hombres. I just wanted to say it’s good to see the giant heed back with us. Back in training, racing down the wing losing the ball, running around, losing the ball, then racing off the pitch. Beautiful.

• 18 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:08 PM

If we need someone to lose the ball and run around a lot then Obertan is our man….

• 19 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:12 PM

You can polish a turd A_C mate, but when you’re finished it doesn’t look much better…..

• 20 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:13 PM

I’ll give you an example of a polished turd A_C. Obertan…. someone has clearly tried to polish Obertan.

• 21 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:18 PM

So Ashley says he wishes he’d never bought us? But now we’re stuck with each other. Why is that Mike? Just sell up. Forget you ever went to Newcastle. Forget you ever hired a bunch of idiots to run a football club. Forget about us and we’ll forget about you. Come on Mike, you can do it.

• 22 GeordieTwo // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM

So let’s go over this again together. When you’ve finished polishing a turd what do you have? It’s Obertan. Right then, now we can move on. Harrumph.

• 23 Wayayman // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Balloon Heed back in training? he’s been utter bobbins for us for the most part, but that first time cross for Gini’s debut header against the Saints was superb. He was finding some forma nd consistency before he got injured.
    Marveaux on the other hand is a bottler, he’s (rightly) not played for us since the start he got against Everton when he pulled out of a 50/50 in the middle of the pitch then pulled out of an 80/20 in his favour in the same game.

• 24 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:31 PM

All of you critics of Obertan might well be right, I don’t have enough enthusiasm for the guy to raise a good defense for him but I don’t think he’s as bad as you are all saying.

I certainly wouldn’t object to him coming on the final minute of our final game to score the goal that kept us up same as that other (supposedly) washed out player did last season. Then he can get his phone call!

Oh and by the way I seem to recall reading that somewhere, India or China, that turds were actually used to make jewelry.

• 25 hibbitt // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

suppose you still believe in santa as well……. LOL

• 26 ShirebrookToon // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM

You can’t polish turd but you can roll it in glitter

• 27 jimiley // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Do we have 11 committed players for Rafa to form a team? It did not look like it on Saturday.

• 28 ShirebrookToon // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM

We played on Sunday jimeley

• 29 jimiley // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Essex Geordie,

Its probably true because neither India nor China is that well off. Good use of turds. Mind you they can spend dosh on nuclear weapons.

• 30 jimiley // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:50 PM

See what I mean? The game has passed me by already. Best forgottten. We looked a yard slower and only came into the game when they sat back in second half.

• 31 ShirebrookToon // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Yes watching the game was like pulling teeth mate we didn’t look up for it until they sat back 2nd half

• 32 jimiley // Mar 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Guti reckons the club totally ignored him when he had cancer. The club denies it. I know who I believe. I believe Penfold and nice Mr Pardew. Terrible timing for team moral. I wonder what Rafa is making of it all and Mashers telling everybody there is no money and buying the club was a mistake. Still think you made the right decision to take on the job from hell Rafa? No sympathy now mate as you took the silver shilling.

• 33 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

I pointed out that he was photographed by the Chronicle, I think in the last pre match training session given by SMC.

• 34 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:18 PM

it’s great news that obertan is fit in time to save our season. That’s timing that is.

• 35 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM

I heard that SMC used to only do three training sessions, or maybe it was give the players three days off. Does anyone recognise this and knows where the article is, may have been an interview with Lascelles.

• 36 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Well we have a few glitterballs around the place. A proper disco.

• 37 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Almost as great news as Rooney being ready to start every game at the Euros.

• 38 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Lindisfarne, you’re right there was one in October last year, one in… December I think, and we had one in Feb.

• 39 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Rooney yeah woop woop our best player.

• 40 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:24 PM

The King has no time for trivialities like dying and to be fair Penfold probably offered him a biscuit, which is a big thing for him.

• 41 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I only realised after submitting that I had not stated the regularity of occurrence, but are you talking about training or your school discos?!

• 42 Lindisfarne // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Or even, Offski

• 43 WWSBRD // Mar 23, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Right I don’t particularly like Sissoko but the bloke is our best player imo, he has under performed yes but no more so than any other player we have case in point Gini who has been invisible for most of the season but rarely gets called up on it

Sissoko doesn’t deserve the level of anger laid at his door tbf

As for Obertan having no impact (we are travelling back in time here to me defending the lad but) I disagree his pace scares opposition and he looks to attack. Coming on with 15 minutes to go and full backs will hate it

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Yes I do, are you saying he’s a myth? 🙁

JMiley, Don’t get me started on Indian research.

I wrote a letter to the Telegraph at the time our space
    rocket research was scrapped and the Indians was being expanded, I wanted to know why we were still sending them aid.

Anyway that’s enough politics, sorry Ed.

Brexit rules ok.

• 45 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Lindisfarne I heard that they were making biscuits out of turds as well. Wonder if that’s what’s on offer in the hospitality suite at the Toon.

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:11 PM

At the moment i don’t think Benitez is the right person, hope for once I’m proved wrong.

• 47 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM

who would be the right person

• 48 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:24 PM

i will let you know when we have got one.

• 49 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Should have got shearer in as our forward coach.

• 50 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM

are we going to stay up. Had a chat with a few mates, two of them support Newcastle and they think we won’t stay up, don’t like our remaining fixtures.

• 51 Moonraker15 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Who do you think IS the right person? I think you just like to be controversial cos Rafa is world class !

• 52 Moonraker15 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Welsh* sorry

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Not being controversial, if i was i wouldn’t have put hope I’m proved wrong at the end of the sentence, that’s how i feel at the moment.

• 54 Moonraker15 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Your heart is not in Newcastle at all! don’t know why you bother.

• 55 jane // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Mitrovic not starting for Serbia in Poland.

• 56 Moonraker15 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Regarding our remaining fixtures; doesn’t matter who we play we can beat all of them just need a bit of luck on occasion. Look how we played against Stoke at home, Spurs away West Ham and we outplayed Sunderland away until the penalty. We are favourites to go down but this is easier for Rafa than coming back from 0-3 to beat Milan in Europe final. HWTL

• 57 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:58 PM

the only thing wrong with the rafa appointment was it is a little to late

• 58 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2016 at 7:58 PM

You right i could say screw it I’m not from Newcastle so why should i bother but believe or not i love this club, been supporting them since Sir Bobby Robson days, everything is in place with this club, fantastic fans, magnificent stadium, all that’s missing is owner and manager, the fact that those two points is stopping us from being a top four team is quite annoying, once we get that in then let the good times roll, Benitez i hope will be just as good as Sir Bobby Robson.

• 59 Mag52 // Mar 23, 2016 at 8:13 PM

A lot of bloggers slagging off Obertan on here today.
    He may not have the focus, or even the sense of direction (lol )of some wingers, but compared to a few of our French imports, costing the club a lot more than he did, he gives it 100% every game he plays.
    He’s been unfortunate in that, as a result of injuries, he’s never been able to have a run in the team.
    As an impact sub, when the defence is getting a bit leg weary, he could be a match winner.

• 60 maskedmagicians // Mar 23, 2016 at 8:27 PM

I love how everyone jumped on Ashley comments…

no different to me saying I brought this coffee shop with every intention of making it successful but unfortunately it hasn’t happened and its probably worse off than before i got involved…

doesn’t mean I hate this coffee shop, I’m just disappointed that my initial plans haven’t come to fruition and as such I do regret buying it as in reality ive wasted my time and not achieved what I set out to achieve…

some people are so quick to hate someone… he brought our club, he tried to run it how he thought it should be run, has it worked NO, has he stuck to his guns YES, but in all fairness he built up sports direct himself, using his strategy and plans and made it a huge success and killed off his competitors… He probably thought he could do the same with Newcastle doing it his way… hasn’t happened and hes admitted that… but in all fairness hes a greater success than anyone of us will ever be and until a fan is a big enough success with enough cash hes happy to blow through nothing will change.

• 61 ascot7 // Mar 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Footballers are not a committed lot, as they are working class, and with money as there goal, they can kak on the boss and walk out. Sisiko is in that area, also, footballers have to develop character, or they will fail. Do you believe that poor performance could be the result of late boozing night, with wives and bit girls ? So a remedy for Be nit, will be a curfew, one day before a match. To keep the blighters fit. Means respect for the toon who pay there wages, don’t knock Ashley, he has put his money where his mouth is, mclaren is in the same bus as Par dew, look we’re his team is. Tactics were they both went wrong. Now, bring in Armstrong, he is the only predetor .

• 62 lesh // Mar 24, 2016 at 12:20 AM