This Player Epitomizes What’s Needed At Newcastle

We have been very surprised how well Rob Elliot has played for Newcastle his season – he’s been absolutely terrific – and not only that but he’s positive and has become a leader at Newcastle – something we are short of in the current squad.

But it just shows what can happen when a good player gets a run in the first team, as Rob has done since Tim Krul was badly injured playing for the Netherlands back in October.

At the time head coach Steve McClaren said Tim got Newcastle 20 points a season and he was therefore going to be a big loss, which just goes to show how Steve’s man-management skills are not exactly the best in the business.

Thankfully Rob wasn’t listening and he’s been one of Newcastle’s few outstanding players this season and only last Sunday his world-class save from Sunderland left back Patrick van Aanholt in the second half kept us in that game.

Rob+Elliot+Crystal+Palace+v+Newcastle+United+pOjE2Ox9USJl

Rob Elliot – outstanding season for Newcastle

It was simply an unbelievable save from Rob, which hasn’t received the credit it deserves.

Rob is off on International duty with Ireland during the International break and we will be very surprised if he isn’t Ireland’s goalkeeper in the Euro 2016 finals in France in June.

Rob was asked in Dublin if he wants to finish this season on a high:

“I hope it’s an added bonus. It’s nice to be away with the lads and trying to do well this week, but just for Newcastle to stay up is obviously my short-term priority because it’s a fantastic club.

We should be in the Premier League and we shouldn’t be in the position we’re in.”  “Anything I can do to help us stay up and maintain our Premier League status, hopefully that will help towards the summer.

But in the meantime, we just need to concentrate on our Premier League survival game-by-game.” “We have got eight games left and they are all massive, massive games now. That will go hand in hand, really.”

Rob Elliot traveled to Dublin with Sunderland defender John O’Shea after the Sunderland game and while they waited for their plane out of Newcastle airport John bought Rob a beer.

Rob continued:

“I’d have bought him one if he could have let us get the winner.” “But it was nice to sit and have a beer with him at the airport because obviously it’s a massive rivalry, it’s a massive occasion.”

It was probably a fair result in the game, and it was nice just to sit and have a beer with him and have a nice chat about the events, and then get on the plane and come over here.”

This summer Rob and John O’Shea will be team mates and Ireland could do well with former Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill now the National manager and having success in the job.

Yes – if Newcastle can stay in the Premier League and Rob can play in the Euro 2016 finals this summer – the Newcastle goalkeeper will be a happy man indeed.

Rob’s become a massively popular player on Tyneside this season – and it’s not surprising given his brilliant goalkeeping for the side.

Rob could help us survive relegation this season in these upcoming crucial final  eight games of the season.

• Mag52

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Incidently, it wasn’t so long ago that Rob Elliott was routinely referred to as fatty on here, until, that is, he started to put in some stellar performances for us.
    So there’s hope for Obertan yet.

• jimiley

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Rafa is God but he will not save us from our waster players. We needed a Keegan type emotional injection to get the players believing they are good. Most are shit. Rafa will make gradual and incremental improvements based on analysis and profesional knowledge. A gradual improvement will be too little too late. We are gannin doon with the Mackems.!!!!!!

• Average_Contents

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Mag52

He is a tad on the chunky side for a professional footballer and I reckon these stellar performances came about as he thought the balls were pies.

Old chunky was in dreamland 😉

• Lindisfarne

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Welshgeordie9

Enough of the irony and straighten out.

• maskedmagicians

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I love how everyone jumped on Ashley comments…

no different to me saying I brought this coffee shop with every intention of making it successful but unfortunately it hasn’t happened and its probably worse off than before i got involved…

doesn’t mean I hate this coffee shop, I’m just disappointed that my initial plans haven’t come to fruition and as such I do regret buying it as in reality ive wasted my time and not achieved what I set out to achieve…

some people are so quick to hate someone… he brought our club, he tried to run it how he thought it should be run, has it worked NO, has he stuck to his guns YES, but in all fairness he built up sports direct himself, using his strategy and plans and made it a huge success and killed off his competitors… He probably thought he could do the same with Newcastle doing it his way… hasn’t happened and hes admitted that… but in all fairness hes a greater success than anyone of us will ever be and until a fan is a big enough success with enough cash hes happy to blow through nothing will change.

• toon kk

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Pards always had the most success with Aarons and Obertan on the wings. So maybe there’s some hope for Gabby if Rafa can sort him out.

• israeli_fan

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM

For me Eliott is a better goalkeeper than Krul, very underrated

• israeli_fan

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:11 PM

I reallyhope that obertan and SDJ will getstarts from now on..our best results are when those 2 play (our unbeaten run+ our 6 wins in a row obertan was starting, and everytimede jong on thefield we dominate teams)

• toon kk

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Elliott has been our only consistent player, he’s a very good goalkeeper. Just a pity that the defence in front of him weren’t on the same level.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM

a mackem bought a mag a beer, dogs living with cats, anarchy…

if the world is coming to an end, then theres hope MA will sell…

• Cool Hand Luke

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Elliott is an excellent keeper and deserves to keep his place when Krul returns. My only criticism is that he doesn’t use his long throw enough to launch counter attacks. Even the threat of it would have teams thinking twice about the amount of men they commit.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Lindisfarne

What ever.

• G

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:27 PM

B and B, with regard to our earlier conversation regarding Heaney, just noticed he scored for the under 21s earlier. Perhaps we should big up a couple of the first teamers day of the Norwich match? I’m not a supersticious man, but I’ll give anything a go!

• BeeGuy

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Elliott does not wait long enough to thump his kicks down field. Mitro stands with 6 defenders around him while NUFC players try to catch up with the play. No wonder the Mags never latch onto the balls he knocks down.

• 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:34 PM

masked magicians

no different to me saying I brought this coffee shop ….

A football club really is nothing like a coffee shop. Starbucks etc., do not command the loyalty your club does. You are not emotionally involved with your coffee shop.

some people are so quick to hate someone…

No it took most people about 5 years to start really disliking the guy, and we have lived in hope for 8 years now and been let down almost every step of the way. It isn’t even ‘hate’ most of the time – just perpetual disappointment, anger at what he has done to our club – you’ll know the feeling

• WWSBRD

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Elliott has done very well this season but I don’t get the love in for him, I don’t see how people can think him better than Krul

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Elliot is physically stronger and more able to command the area. There is not quite as much panic at corners from our lot, although I know Sunday was a bit of a debacle.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Seems that Obertan is the Marmite player of the squad.

No mention of the other returnee Marveux in any way, if he reads the blog he must be thinking can’t someone love me or hate me, please just notice me!!!

• WWSBRD

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Essex
    He also moves like he has roots and cant make the saves Krul can, isn’t as mobile. Not sure why u think he commands his area either tbh. His decision making is suspect about leaving his line he half closes down all the time and leaves himself in no mans land stranded fearful to keep going forward and too slow to retreat

He’s a decent back up keeper but if he was as good as everyone seems to think he is why has Kruls progress been stunted since Harps left?

• WWSBRD

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM

He can out throw Krul I will give him that

• Tsunki

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM

@6 so is your dad going to that thing in London then?

So good you posted it twice in case anyone missed a large serving of tripe.

The coffee shop owner who appointed buffoons to run a good business down over 8 years, while he went and ran another business.

• Tsunki

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:50 PM

On obertan, I know I was being flippant previous post but I’ve supported him when he was Subject to our darkest criticisms. I used to be at matches and have the jar headed gormless oafs around me complain as soon as he laced his boots or warmed up unsatisfactorily. In all he’s not had a great reception. I know he ain’t fantastic, but I’d say he’s better than a third of our current first team.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Some of you boys are showing signs of desperation in suggesting Obertron could be our saviour. What’s this about him regaining form – he never had any form in the first place.
    Granted he gives 100% but it’s usually without the ball.

• Munster Mag

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Surprised rafa didnt bring back arma as his development wont be hindered by 9 weeks with the first team. Re sissoko earlier, he’s a fraud, but rafa has got it wrong playing him on left wing and playing wiji too deep. A defensive coach, he may not be what we need now, even though he is exactly what we need long term.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:13 AM

I think Elliot and Krul are about on par. Krul has the edge in making the spectacular saves but he lets more soft goals in. Elliot deserves to be our player of the season which kind of says it all, because let’s face it, he’s just a good/average PL keeper.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM

WWSBRD

To be honest I’d swap him for Butland with no hesitation,but to say his movement and decision making is poor, really. He’s probably been made to look bad at times by poor defending, something that seems to be improving under Rafa.

TOF

Saying he’s a good/average EPL player is really quite a compliment, it’s a tough league.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Not only did Obertan put in some really good performances before he was injured again, I do believe he was voted on this blog as MOM at least once and was in the top rating s for others.

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Just noticed the copyright date at the foot of the page, is this the tenth anniversary of the blog.

• lesh

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:07 AM

Essex

The Blog’s 10 years old? Time flies and it just seems like yesterday that Ed posted Keegan replacing Allardyce. How come Ashley managed it efficiently god only knows.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Elliot deserves praise for this season, I fully expect him to get player of the year. When you consider he came into the side carrying an injury he has done remarkably well to play and perform consistently at a decent level.

Better than Krul? Maybe, neither are outstanding. Both are probably middle of the road. Krul probably makes some better, more impressive saves, but he balances it out with some absolute howlers. Elliot routinely does the basics well. Elliot’s distribution used to be far better than Krul’s, that seems to have become less the case, which is disappointing.

As for the hate against Elliot, I think a lot came from that what he said to someone (can’t remember if it was to a fan or a journo or what) where he criticised the fans and praised Pardew a few years back. Prior to that he was just a back up keeper, neither liked nor disliked. A lot of animosity came his way following that and stuck.

I hope he gets the number 1 spot for Ireland this summer, he probably deserves it looking at the rest of the keepers they have available to pick from.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:54 AM

As for Obertan, he will get crosses in when he has the ball out wide, which is what we really need. Whether he is good enough for a starting berth is another thing entirely. On balance I’d prefer to give Gini a slot high on the right wing, a similar role to one he played back in Holland on a number of occasions. Townsend on the left and either De Jong or Cisse with Mitro.

That may well mean that Sissoko has to play in the centre of midfield alongside Shelvey, which would reduce Shelvey’s influence, and likely lose us the midfield battle. Maybe Saivet, although Rafa doesn’t seem to fancy him based on the last two games. I’m not sure whether Rafa would consider moving Mbemba in to midfield alongside Shelvey, it would depend on defenders available I guess but it is a potential option.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:55 AM

Having the pace of both Sissoko and Obertan available off the bench against tired legs could give us a huge advantage in the latter stages if a game is getting stretched.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Seems I’m in the office to early this morning….

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:03 AM

lilongwe

ur not alone but i am trying wake up

• cyprus

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Obertan to save NUFC? Don’t think so, he’s about Championship level, if that.

The ‘dark horse’ could be somewhere in our stable, in the face of Doumbia. I also don’t understand how Armstrong was allowed to stay away, in these moments of desperation. I didn’t like his cameos last year, but tbh, he wasn’t given enough time and opportunities and he has shown he can score.

A draw or loss at Norwich and I think we’re finished. As I said, I think we’ll be in the low 30’s. Our only hope is a massive collapse by Norwich and/or Palace.

• cyprus

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:05 AM

Forgot to mention Elliott. Player of the season for us, by a mile. Congratulations mate, if you are reading.

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:06 AM

cyprus

people mention armstrong alot but can we actually recall him from loan

• cyprus

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:08 AM

If I’m going to pick a player to bench for an emerging or re-emerging star: Shelvey. Man he’s been crap. Sorry Shelvey, if you’re reading 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:08 AM

Beer,
    Yeah, I think we can. When Benitez arrived Arma travelled up for a weekend with his family and went in to meet Benitez off his own back. There was an article a few days after quoting Mowbray as saying there had been no official contact between the two clubs regarding recalling Arma, but if there was then he would just have to deal with it basically.