The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Spanish Legend – Benitez Was Worried About Me

2:41 pm, Tuesday, March 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

34 year-old Iker Casillas began his career in Real Madrid’s youth system and made his first appearance for the first team back in 1999 as an 18 year-old and since then he played 725 times for the Real Madrid first team and he so far has made 166 appearances for the Spain National side.

Last summer he left Madrid and signed on at Porto, just after Rafa Benitez arrived as manager  and he has played 20 times for the Portuguese side.

Iker recently met up with Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez, who managed Real Madrid from June of last year through early January when he was fired.

Iker has said the famous Madrid club is a difficult club to manage – so that’s not unlike Newcastle.

iker Casillas-anything-could-happen-in-90-minutes

Iker Casillas – 725 appearances for Real Madrid
166 appearances for Spain

Rafa was born in Madrid in 1960 and was at the club as a young player from 1974 through 1981.

In 1986 when he was 26, Benitez returned to Real Madrid to join the club’s coaching staff and at the start of the 1986–87 season, he was appointed the manager of Castilla B.

So Rafa has been in coaching for 30 years!

This is what the Spanish legendary goalkeeper has told El Laguero:

“Real’s a difficult club. It’s not good when a coach leaves,” “The decision is taken in the search for what is best.

“I feel sorry for Rafa. I spoke with him in Madrid.” “He didn’t suggest I wasn’t going to play and he knew I was talking to the club about leaving.”

“He was worried about me. I spoke to him recently and shared memories of the club.”

If Rafa stays at Newcastle at the end of the season, we may be able to get a couple of Real’s young players on loan next season, since he will have a number of contacts with his home town club.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Norwich City?

• Win (67%, 1,312 Votes)
  • Lose (19%, 384 Votes)
  • Draw (14%, 276 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,972

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Jib Jibberish…………………………………………OOT

• 2 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM

RH,
    Milner has had a stellar career, it was a great loss when he left. He’s a fighter, good engine, knows a bit of footy and very versatile. He’s among the good ones we let go. NUFC are good at doing that.

I regrettably voted loss for the game. I hope that we play like we did vs. West Ham, Stoke, first half City. I know we can, fear we won’t. They’ll be up for it. A win and it’s curtains for us – almost.

• 3 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:55 PM

cyprus

there you go again you assured me yesterday it was only going to be a momentary lapse and your having another one today hope your not going to make this a regular occurrence…………………..don’t give up keep the faith

• 4 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Hibbitt,
    you’re here! Apologies 🙂

• 5 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Can I change vote?

🙂

• 6 Rotonda heights // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:12 PM

cyprus

sorry can’t agree. milner’s final ball when he was here was poor and it hasn’t obviously dramatically improved much over the years. granted a good solid worker and grafter with some nice touches now and again, but stellar, no, cerainly not for me.

Stellar is your Beardo’s, ginolas etc. Milner isn’t really a prolific scorer or with that many assists either.

If KK was happy to let Milner go on the understanding Schweinsteiger was coming, I think that’s fair comment.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Tsunki
    Rolando Aarons would say
    “The taxi took I and I to the match”
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Not noted for your PC are you Jib.

• 8 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Maybe stellar is stretching it but he has found a place in top teams. Certainly not up there with Ginola, Beardo!

But, people like Bellamy, him, HBA etc. could’ve gone on with NUFC and maybe we would still be a perennial top team, as we were in the first 10 years or so of the PL.

I’m clutching at straws you see.

• 9 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Repost Rotonda heights

hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM

i was at a talk in with kk and rob lee kk was asked why did he sell milner and did he regret it …………his reply to the question was he had no regrets about selling milner as he thought it was a good deal for the club what he did regret was the club failed to deliver the replacement they said they had lined up take his place ………..kk was then asked who that replacement was answer luka modric…………….next question would you have sold milner if you had known the club were not getting modric ……………answer NO

• 10 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Looked him up. Net worth $32 mil, salary p.150000, refused extension of his 165,000 salary at City. Not bad, overall 🙂

• 11 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 3:40 PM

I love KK’s punditry whenever he’s on. He seems to be so honest in his reflection and answers. Same with T. Francis! Can’t he coach? (Not saying don’t want Rafa, just wondering why he quit coaching)

• 12 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:08 PM

I think Milner is a decent enough footballer – superb engine will run all day. However, from his days at Leeds I don’t think he has reached the heights a lot thought he would.
    Granted he’s played for top teams and England, to me his attribute is his energy/willingness to run and not much else.
    Having said that he would probably be a starter at SJP – but probably more from his enrgy than skills.

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Jib Jibberish. You’re the googlemeister. Show me one example in literature of “between you and I”. Saying ‘between you and I’ is grammatically equivalent to saying ‘between him and she’, or ‘between we’, which are both clearly wrong. You won’t have it, of course.

• 14 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

give it a rest mate your boring the pants of us now

• 15 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Rotonda

Behave

Aarons is Jamaican by birth and I posted a bit of Jamaican dialect .
    If I’d posted a bit of Geordie when commenting on Beardo would you have passed any comment.

Think about this.

Prince Albert used to cover the piano legs in Buckingham Palace to prevent impure thoughts.

In reality who was it that needed their head looked at?

You’re a bit of a Prince Albert I think.

• 16 Hail Wor Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Who gives a shite?

Language continuously transforms over long periods time, getting hung up on the minutiae of right and wrong usage, as if how it was taught to you is the definitive version and it should cease changing, is both mind numbingly boring and egotistical. Being understood is the most important aspect innit?

• 17 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:35 PM

both mind numbingly boring and egotistical

The best description of the pilloch in question I’ve heard.

• 18 davis_toons // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM

My Left Back for Norwich Game – Jonas Gutierrez

• 19 Mag52 // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM

While you’re about it Mr.Tuff, sort out your ‘to’ and ‘too’.

• 20 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Jib

and your no better give the rest of us a break

• 21 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Hibbitt
    Short term pain for long term gain. With luck everyone’s best new friend, Jib, will stop being pedantic and pulling people up when it’s pointed out to him (because he’s oblivious) that he’s the worst offender. In the mean time, if you see my name, just skip my posts.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Hail
    Jib gives a shite. It’s his M.O. He likes to criticise bloggers for their grammar and spelling. It wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t a dunce.

• 23 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

its the so called english lesson were sick of

• 24 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:19 PM

And it’s you’re, Hibbit. You’re.

😀

What a stirrer I am ha ha

• 25 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:21 PM

..and it’s we’re…yawn…we’re – Hibbit stop it it’s not funny any more. Or ever I should think. 🙂

• 26 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:21 PM

and we’re

• 27 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:28 PM

ok lads you win i’m done

• 28 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Should be English lesson – capital E.

• 29 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Can anyone believe Lionel Messi actually started dribbling when he was 2 months old.

• 30 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Normally I would abide by the unspoken blog rule of not complaining about other posters’ grammar, which is basically a decent enough rule. If the subject is raised and I have a contribution I’ll post something.
    However, the basic concept should be in not belittling someones’ post because of their grammar but the content can be “challenged” if needs be.

• 31 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Mr Tuff is still dribbling and he’s over 60 !

• 32 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Jib………. It’s the people that tolerate you every day. They’re the real heroes!

• 33 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM

But more than a match for you boy!

• 34 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Well the way I see it the scourge of autocorrect scuppers just about everyone’s good intentions. Best just treat everyone’s posts as shorthand and get on with it.

• 35 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Mister Tuff……. Excuse Jib, he thinks he’s a real wit. He’s half right.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Jib,
    That article was qritten seven years ago and Ashley is still employing the wrong people. SBR in his old age didn’t realise what a heartless barsteward actually was.

• 37 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM

I’m not saying I’d totally pick up rocket surgery or brain science in 7 years but I do think I would have made a stab at improving my knowledge somewhat in that time. For Ashley to still not have a clue despite paying over £200m for the course makes him a bit of a negligent student.

• 38 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Kitchen fitting – now that’s a totally different matter 🙂

• 39 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Tsunki…….. I’ve often thought that about Ashley. They say you pay for your learning but he seems to have paid and not learnt.

He’s supposed to be nobody’s fool so let’s hope someone adopts him soon.

• 40 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:30 PM

😀

• 41 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:34 PM

With regards to being the owner of a football club, Ashley suffers from delusions of adequacy.

• 42 Belfast // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I always thought Jails dislike of Ashley stemed from a faulty pair of Lonsdale shoes that Sports Direct refused to refund.

You learn something new everyday on here.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Jib Jibberish – I noted your feeble attempts at clearing your name with the posting of email exchanges with Ed. I also recall that you were concerned about not publicising your personal information if you posted the emails.
    I did note that you had redacted names just leaving the initials KC. I also noted that your attempts at redaction were not entirely successful when the name Kenneth Cook was not redacted. DUH.

A quick Jib type Google search for the name Kenneth Cook in the local area resulted in an immediate hit -care of the Sunderland Echo.
    It explains a lot. I rest my case M’lud.

• 44 Belfast // Mar 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Is that yer son Jib ?

• 45 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I thought the KC stood for something else.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Komplete c0ck

• 47 welshgeordie9 // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Not being funny but is anyone listening to Ed.

• 48 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:18 PM

I thought the second word was Cheese.

• 49 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Kanterkaas Cheese. it’s supposed to be nice.

• 50 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Hang on everyone keep the noise down!

Is he whispering, Welsh?

• 51 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:23 PM

And since when were you not funny, btw?

• 52 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Welsh
    You were right
    I should have just told them all to piss off
    Now because I haven’t cleared the emails properly the blog cock has splattered my name all over.
    Great stuff

• 53 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Mr T I think he’s the biochemistry professor at Newcastle Uni.

Pffffttt. Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    HAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA…

• 54 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Actually it’s not that cool. Seriously. Jib probably did it in good faith seeing as he wouldn’t have intentionally posted it with his name on. Not cool really.

• 55 welshgeordie9 // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Jib

I’m afraid mate that wasn’t a good idea.

• 56 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Job if it’s any consolation you can finally count your blessings you haven’t exactly got a rare name.

• 57 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Also KC could stand for Red Herring 😉

• 58 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM

‘..Welsh
    You were right
    I should have just told them all to piss off
    Great stuff”

Funny how the resident teacher doesn’t use punctuation… seems he’s missing a few periods, of class or the like…

• 59 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Jib.

• 60 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Hahahahahahaha. you couldn’t make it up.
    It would appear that Ken is having a go at me because he put his own name into the public domain.
    Your fault for not redacting correctly.

Jib – slightly off topic did you ever have an association with the group The Sunshine Band.

• 61 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Could be worse. It could have been Steve Cook. Apparently that doesn’t sound good in Norwegian. I’m told.

• 62 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Jib -you seem to have blown a fuse – but I can only say oh, that’s the way, uh-huh, uh-huh
    I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh.

Hahahahahahaha.

• 63 Belfast // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I wouldn’t worry Jib my email name is Dirk Diggler.

• 64 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:45 PM

This isn’t going to end well.

• 65 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Ha ha belfast always wishful thinking.

• 66 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Jeff/JIB is correct though he is, as he says, mind numbingly boring and egotistical.

If the sentence has the issue as the subject – ” Rafa and I went to the match” then it is “and I”.

If the sentence has the issue as the object – “The taxi took Rafa and me to the match ” then it is “and me”.

So Jeff/JIB, Tsunki and Mr T are all correct this time 🙂
    (And so is Bl&Br I think).

It all depends on context – subject or object. OK Ken ?

• 67 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Mr Tuff
    No fuse blown here but don’t cry when your mobile number and bank details get put up ( we do have the technology )

• 68 Belfast // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Is yer real name Clark Kent by any chance? 🙂

• 69 sing in the corner // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:52 PM

It’ll be interesting to see how Wij gets on playing in the hole behind the front line tonight.. And Willems.

• 70 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Dok
    Many moons ago on Brit tv when I was a wee bairn there was a Western Series on tv starring Dale Robertson as Jim Hardy – it was called Wells Fargo . Do you recall it ?

• 71 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Mr T I think Jib is going to wire you some money..

• 72 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:01 PM

sitc
    I think Jetro is injured

• 73 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Tsunki
    😀

• 74 Fostino // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Eliot stretched off the pitch in the irish game. Looks a very bad injury

• 75 sing in the corner // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Starting jib…

• 76 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM

nope you are right Willems is playing

• 77 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Hahahahaha – great tonight – Jib admit your blog crimes – “give it up” or “just sound your funky horn”.

Tremendous blogging tonight. Hoorah!

• 78 Fostino // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Darlow will have to step up now…not good

• 79 martoon // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Fostino @74 It’s apparently a twisted knee – doesn’t look good for the Norwich game 🙁

• 80 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Thats the 2nd keeper we have lost this season due to internationals !! Sick of it !!

Darlow or Woodman are going to have to seriously step up this is a nightmare season

• 81 sing in the corner // Mar 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Not keen on the England kit lie. What’s with the owner blue shoulders?? Keep it all white, keep it simple!

previous post: Newcastle Star – I Don’t Regret Joining The Club