The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star – I Don’t Regret Joining The Club

9:45 am, Tuesday, March 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 74 Comments

Newcastle United’s star player Georginio Wijnaldum is away on intentional duty and he was only  a substitute for the Netherlands against France on Friday night in Amsterdam when the side lost 3-2.

Gini came on in the final 14 minutes and maybe that means he will start for the team tonight when they take on England at Wembley in a game that will be in honor of one of the greatest players of all time – Johan Cruyff – who died last Thursday, aged 68.

Cruyff was one of the best players in the world and he played principally for Ajax before joining Barcelona when he was 26 in 1973.

Georginio-Wijnaldum-over-Oranje-Newcastle-en-Feyenoord

Gini Wijnaldum being interviewed on RTV Rijnmound

With Newcastle struggling in the league table and the Netherlands head coach Danny Blind already saying he’s worried because Newcastle have so many Dutch players in their ranks, Gini was asked if he regretted joining Newcastle.

This is what Wijnaldum said to RTV Rijnmond:

“I knew it was difficult because they had a tough year last year I made the choice with the full confidence and I still do not regret it.”

“I’m still happy at Newcastle.”   “I am just trying to do my thing and enjoy it – then you are at your best.”

It seems that Gini was a little surprised not to start the game on Friday night,  but we expect him to be involved against England tonight – but he had better not get injured.

This is his response when asked about the game against France, which they lost at home 3-2:

“I am a little shocked. “We had trained this system and then it went okay but the game was not as expected.“  “As a footballer you always want to play, but you only go with the choice of the coach.“

Gini will join up with the Newcastle squad tomorrow hopefully – and he can get some training in with his Newcastle team mates before the crucial game with Norwich City on Saturday afternoon.

It’s a game we cannot lose and a win would be simply fantastic.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Norwich City?

• Win (67%, 1,312 Votes)
  • Lose (19%, 384 Votes)
  • Draw (14%, 276 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,972

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Georginio Wijnaldum · International break · International News · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

74 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Asprilla is no fan of Benitez

• 2 G // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Tina is a complete mentalist Jib, not to say he wasn’t a decent player, but his opinions are a bit Zanussi at best.

• 3 G // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Tino even.

• 4 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Tino’s always been a loose cannon, a loose handgun, a screw loose in general…

• 5 Thump // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM

He’s not a fan because he wasn’t fond of James?

Well, clearly Benitez is the devil incarnate.

• 6 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM

A walls individual pork pie short of a picnic. A tile off. Away with the show folk. Barmy. Crackers. Bananas…

• 7 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I too voted draw stupid win bar who is voting this as a win? Optimistic is one thing but this is asking for a smackdown 🙂

• 8 martoon // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I’m hoping Gini doesn’t play tonight so he doesn’t get injured. I know he sometimes goes missing in games but I still think he is our best player and can suddenly produce a bit of magic to create or score a goal – makem match is a prime example.

• 9 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Well that’s the voice of authority there. A level headed appraisal of Benitez. I always suspected he was a closet Columbianist. You just never can tell can you? 🙂

• 10 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Talking of crazy South Americans who have played for the Toon.

Also apologies to Tsunki for the anectdotal nature.

An acquaintance of mine , Jimmy from North Shields was Mirandinha’s translator in
    the late 80’s
    One closed season they holidayed in Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.

They were by the hotel pool one morning when a woman screamed and there was the biggest green rattler you’ve ever seen.
    Mira pulled out the biggest pistol (an old colt 45 I think ) Jimmy had ever seen and blew the snake to bits.
    Mira had toted the gun all the way from Newcastle Airport to Guadelejara in his hand luggage !!!!
    These days you’d get stopped before the departure lounge !

• 11 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Tinos words when he first entered Julies on the quayside

“joder mira – todas estas rubias”

• 12 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

No need for apology Jib, enjoyable and curiously believable, considering our tino was himself a fan of carting a handgun about for those awkward moments 🙂

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Jib // Mar 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM

From OED
    the pronoun I, together with the proper noun Ed, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.
    ************************************************
    Jib you dunce. Correspondence between Ed and I.”I” is not the subject. It has to be “me”. Google only gets you so far.

• 14 Rotonda heights // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

I always thought Milner was sold because KK thought Schweinsteiger was on the way, not Modric. Either way never a huge Milner fan, final ball always left a lot to be desired.

I see carr is upset by relinquishing power to Rafa. I suggest Carr looks at his hits and misses columns and how much the latter has taken over now.

Carr was a poor manager and got a very unmerited ”super scout” tag. I understand Ash may not have followed through on some good suggestions but some have just been insane buys.

If we miraculously stay up a clean sweep of Carr, Charnley, Beardo and watson and 10 mainly French players should just be the start.

Spain and germany are where it’s at so hopefully no more Mondial s—e and let Rafa’s little black book of extensive contacts take centre stage.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Him and I sounds right though. Him and me not so much.

No actually he and I yes, him and I maybe not.

• 16 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Live from the Jonas compo claim
    Carver on the stand

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Mag52
    In your query, “I” is correct not “me” because “I” is the subject of the sentence. It is not in Jib’s case.

• 18 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Blackley and Mr Tuff (sounds like a musical act)

Do you know the musical with Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner

The King and Me

😀

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Mr Tuff
    Thank you for helping to explain that point of grammar to Jib, the grammar police.

• 20 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Blackley
    Do you know what a portmanteau word is ?

• 21 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jib
    You dunce. It is the King and I for a reason. You are hopelessly confused. That’s okay. But please don’t pull people up for their spelling and grammar when you’re the worst offender. “Anonimity” indeed.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Jib
    How old are you? And you have gone through life blissfully unaware of this basic point of grammar. How funny that you need a pair of NUFC bloggers, who sound to you like a musical double act, to put you right.

• 23 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Blackley
    A portmanteau word is a word made from two separate unconnected words to make a new third word.

To give an example let’s think of two innocuous words.

Let’s say “sand” and ” dancer” we all know what they mean.

However put them together and use the new word as a term for people from South Shields and according to your boyfriend they become a foul rascist slur .

• 24 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Carver claims he knew Wijnaldum was coming !!

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM

JimmySmith,
    I hope you’re about and reading this. Jib commended me on my honesty awhile back but has no scruples when posting blatantly misleading links to back his point. You were right the first time Jimmy over the sale of Milner and that interview KK gave saying it was his decision was given under a lot of strain in the hope of saving and resolving a situation that was turning in to a farce. In fact, as I’ve stated before it was that interview that started my intense dislike of Ashley and his policies and started the chain of events that ended in relegation. KK had just said previously that the selling of Milner would be unthinkable, he was told more signings would be coming in with him thinking Sebastian Schweinzeger was one of them. When Xisco and Gonzales were brought KK resigned. It is inconceivable that we would not have gained one more point with Milner in the side. That single act of greed combined with lies and false promises cost us KK and relegation. Truly amazing if arch Ashley apologist Jib believes that KK sanctioned a sale that he later resigned/ was constructively dismissed over.
    Here’s link that explains the situation more accurately. In fact put in to any search engine:
    Keegean resigns over James Milner sale and it will tell the true story. Why Jib chooses to ignore this is beyond me!

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:15 PM

This is the link I meant to publish earlier

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM

jimmysmith // Mar 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM

I notice a certain James Milner will win his 58th full International cap, when he skipper’s England against Holland at Wembley. We’ve lost some wonderful players and signed some very poor ones under Ashley so the sale of this particularly excellent one to Villa just as he began to blossom should hardly have come as a surprise, but after all these years it still upsets me, and if we hadn’t I doubt we’d have gone down the first time, and I’d doubt we’d go down this time either.

Jib // Mar 28, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Jimmysmith
    Another myth
    No opportunity will be missed to bash Ashley
    However
    “He’s a player, in an ideal world, you would not want to lose, but I just want to make it absolutely clear that at the end of the day, it was my decision to sell him,” Keegan said.

• 28 Macas // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Getting rid of Gutierrez was the first big mistake of the season. Not getting rid of Sissoko was the second.

• 29 beermonkey // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM

RH

at least with rafa in control he will buy who he wants and what he needs

the way we have been buying players has been flawed for a long time, with all people at the club to blame

• 30 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM

“Blackley and Mr Tuff (sounds like a musical act) ”

Actually found that. slightly amusing 🙂

On the “me” and “I” thing the rule is pretty simple, just think about the context in the singular and then apply it in the case of multiple address.

For example

“The taxi took my friend and I to the match” – does that sound right? Ok what about if you say “The taxi took I to the match”? Unless you are Bajan, that won’t work. Simple.

• 31 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Jail you are very difficult to argue with because you have difficulty grasping the nub of arguments , probably because you have this blind hatred of Ashley.

I will make the effort to explain but I don’t hold out much hope of your understanding.

Jimmysmith said Ashley’s getting rid of Milner upset him.

Keegan got sold Milner , I clearly remember him saying that it was tough but £12 million was too much to refuse and could be used to buy some good replacements.

It was the replacements the money was used to buy that got up Keegan’s nose but Keegan’s fury over the summer buy ins is the next stage on from the sale of Milner which he condoned.

• 32 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM

I’ll just throw my well thrown hat into the ring ha ha and just chime in that I’m no fan of Milner either. Harder working than most players and that’s why he gets games. For me he’s no great player, and not really England material when times are good. I got the impression he did all he could to get a move to villa.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM

For the to$$ pot that is bills son, words from the great man himself SBR.
    “And no manager worth his salt is going to take the Newcastle job with the current set-up.”

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Tsunki,
    Whether you are a fan or not the points is would we have got at least one more point with a player of his quality in the team and according to that link I posted he was trying to negotiate a new deal before handing in a transfer request.

• 35 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Perhaps if they had offered Jonas a one year extension a lot of unseemly unpleasantness and horrid nastiness could have been avoided. By that I mean we might not be as crap and he wouldnt be taking the club to a tribunal. Just to be clear.

• 36 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Tsunki
    Rolando Aarons would say
    “The taxi took I and I to the match”

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Jib, I do not find it difficult at all to grasp your point, it clearly says in nearly every article that KK was upset over the sale of Milner but was pacified by the fact he would be allowed more quality bsignings, your post earlier suggested that it was solely down to KK to get rid of him.
    The links supporting this are endless Jib.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM

As I explained earlier which I’m sure you do get was that KK saying it was down to him was his way of trying to make the best out of a situation that was turning in to a farce:
    ”Keegan’s absence was said to have resulted from a confrontation with Llambias over transfer policy. Last Tuesday Keegan had called the possibility of selling Milner “unthinkable”. Three days later, doing the club’s PR for them, he asked for time, hoping that Newcastle would be able to recruit “three or four” new players over the weekend”.

• 39 Mag52 // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Blackley.

So when Mr.Tuff states that ……’it is a well known rule of English grammar that after a preposition you don’t use a subject pronoun’, he is wrong, and should write out 100 times the words of the old favourite “It ain’t necessarily so”. Correct ?

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Liars Jib and a tribunal proved it!

• 41 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Me think Keegan was promised the Milner money to reinvest and then the nonsense began from there. Me think we would have won more points with Milner in the team. That’s I opinion for what it’s worth.

• 42 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Sir Bobby Robson’s opinion of Ashley

“I never thought I’d feel sorry for Mike Ashley, but I do. He put his faith in the wrong men – and they have let him down badly.
    There can be no apology for some of Ashley’s decisions. He picked out-of-touch managers Kevin Keegan and Joe Kinnear, and his decision to appoint Dennis Wise as executive director of football was a complete disaster.

But I have sympathy with him because, unlike a lot of big-time owners, Ashley did not stick his nose in and interfere. All he did was bring in who he thought were football people and trusted them to do the right thing. It is their fault, not his, that they wasted millions of pounds on bad players.

The irony is that whereas most owners are arrogant enough to come into football and think they know it all, Ashley has been naive. He has acknowledged his lack of experience in the game and given his employees a free rein.

Wise, his cohort Tony Jimenez and Kinnear were all out of their depth and that is why the club are in such a mess and relying on an unlikely result at Liverpool today to keep their Premier League survival hopes alive.

I remember asking Ashley soon after the club signed Kevin Nolan in January what homework had been done on the player?

I wanted to know how many times he had been scouted and what reports had been done of him. Ashley shrugged, he genuinely didn’t know the answer.

I told him I’d be more careful about spending his next £4.5 million! Who would have thought such a successful businessman would be so trusting.

My guess is that a lot of the recent signings at Newcastle have not been checked out properly. Wise thought Xisco was a good idea. So Ashley paid £5.7m for a striker who has gone on to score one goal all season.”

• 43 Patoon // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM

This is the team I’d like to c start against Norwich if fit, hate the way ed keeps postin “is this our best team” then putting sissoko in it,

____________Elliot___________
    Janmaat mbemba lascelles haidara
    _________Anita shelvey_______
    Townsend___________________Perez
    _______De Jong_______________
    ___________________Mitrovic

• 44 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Jail – at the time Milner was still a work in progress, a tank of a lad, and shaping up to be something, undoubtedly one of the better players in our outfit at the time. I just think his rapid rise to city and England stardom was unwarranted.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Mag 52 – I see you are salivating at the mouth to get me to reply in response to the I or me debate.
    I hope I have not done you a disservice but suspect you rushed to a grammar site gto get some ammo to fire back.
    I see your not so cunning plan, in fact amateur plan to catch me out, I suspect your salivating and Martoons excitement will be thwarted.

In the context and construction of the original sentence the “rule” I suggested was correct -for that particular context/construction – (perhaps I should have made that clearer but I would be on for ages writing every grammar rule – because I did not mention them does not mean they do not exist).

Clearly there are rules and devices applicable to OTHER sentence contexts/constructions.

You are clearly waiting for me to confirm the correct grammar in your example and then to respond saying the preposition “rule” I suggested is therefore not correct.

The device used to analyse your example would be to remove one of the parties involved from the sentence and then see if it sounds correct (as has just been explained).

You need to have an overall understanding of ALL the rules – not just pick out something you’ve come across which looks right. As just pointed out the dangers of Google.

I really do not want to spend any further time on this (busy day) – if you want to pursue it – can I fisrt ask you to comment upon the original Jib text. What is the correct construction in your view.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Mag 52 – whilst I was typing I see you have revealed your hand – as expected.

• 47 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Me am exhausted reading this. Me am going to lie down.

• 48 G // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Thoroughly bored of this now!

• 49 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM

I don’t suppose KK and SBR shared too many pops.

Iirc, wasn’t it SBR who emphatically put an end to kk’s England career?

• 50 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM

G which bit? Should we go on with the amateur detective stuff again?

😀

• 51 G // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:04 PM

@49, indeed it was, he instead named some young upstart called Linekar, whom KK didn’t think would amount to much.

• 52 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:04 PM

..and me believes it’s bored WITH this….

He he

• 53 G // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Tsunki, bored of the Me/I/I’m/My bit. The blog appears to be the cure for insomnia.

• 54 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Patoon
    I think Haidara is back on the injured list
    We still have the left back issue to deal with

• 55 bettyswallocks // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Jib…… Thou should know better with thine normally impeccable command of the Englisn language.

• 56 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM

i was at a talk ik with kk and rob lee kk was asked why did he sell milner and did he regret it …………his reply to the question was he had no regrets about selling milner as he thought it was a good deal for the club what he did regret was the club failed to deliver the replacement they said they had lined up take his place ………..kk was then asked who that replacement was answer luka modric…………….next question would you have sold milner if you had known the club were not getting modric ……………answer NO

• 57 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:31 PM

James Milner is 31 next birthday
    I think his appointment as captain is a thankyou from Woy.
    Like Rooney (who is the same age ) it is by no means certain he will be going to France in the Summer.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Me am going to do some gardening now. The missus is not helping now – she herself go shopping. We was going to do it together (gardening). Innit. Enjoy. Simples.

• 59 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:41 PM

If I was you, and you were me…

• 60 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Jib

i think both player will go to france but i don’t think either will start……. both would be good to have on the bench if needed

• 61 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM

All through the day, I me mine…
    I, me, me, mine
    I, me, me, mine…etc you get the idea..

Beatles there.

• 62 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Wayne Rooney, Impact Sub. I blinked just after the 17 year old kid curled that one past Seaman and when I opened my eyes he was a stuttering old codger….

• 63 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM

thought this was a football blog not english for beginners

• 64 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Hibbit – have we moved up a level overnight? I wasn’t informed!

• 65 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Tsunki

i wish we had a stuttering old codger just like him instead of some of these bright young things we have with there heads stuck up there arses

• 66 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I’m surprised we are all having to go back to English Fundamental. I thought we were doing so well with the Dutch and Spanish lessons. 🙂

• 67 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Hibbit the work rate alone of those two codgers would make most of ours look like lie-in-until-noon teenagers. Oh…wait…

• 68 Tsunki // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:55 PM

..and Hodgson has only ten minutes left to salvage this quarter final.. it looks like he’s going to make two subs…oh… right… great.

• 69 Mag52 // Mar 29, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Mr.Tuff.

Thank you for your long winded bluster (sorry, explanation).
    Pity you didn’t consider it more carefully when you made the ludicrous statement about the ‘well known rule of English grammar’ as being that ‘after a preposition you don’t use a subject pronoun’.
    Increase those lines to 150 for the failure to admit your error.

• 70 hibbitt // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM

england winning 2

Tsunki

OR……………..england winning 2-1 with 10mins to go Roy’s going make 2 sub’s just to steady the ship………..

=

• 71 Jib // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM

I know I am leaving myself open to derision being heaped on my head.

But Mr Tuff is the living embodiment of the maxim
    ” Give a man enough rope and he’ll hang himself ”

This latest grammatical blether and that crap about sanddancers , he just doesn’t know when to shut his gob.

I like Tsunki’s simple explanation

Ed and I sent emails to each other
    Ed sent an email
    I sent an email
    or
    Me sent an email
    if it was Ali G
    It could be – Me Julie sent an email

• 72 martoon // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Tuff – I don’t give a toss whether it’s I or me – personally I just use which ever sounds correct (which is probably based on grammar rules I was not aware of). I was simply warning Mag52 that he is wasting his time as you are never wrong 😉

• 73 Mister Tuff // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Mag 52 – as I thought – you were waiting to pounce – you have not answered my question about the original phrase.
    No bluster in my post at all – as I have explained.
    However, it is encouraging that you have been Googling grammar. Never to late too learn.

• 74 cyprus // Mar 29, 2016 at 2:46 PM

RH,
    Milner has had a stellar career, it was a great loss when he left. He’s a fighter, good engine, knows a bit of footy and very versatile. He’s among the good ones we let go. NUFC are good at doing that.

I regrettably voted loss for the game. I hope that we play like we did vs. West Ham, Stoke, first half City. I know we can, fear we won’t. They’ll be up for it. A win and it’s curtains for us – almost.

previous post: Poll – Can Newcastle Beat Norwich City On Saturday?

next post: Spanish Legend – Benitez Was Worried About Me