Newcastle Star – I Don’t Regret Joining The Club

Newcastle United’s star player Georginio Wijnaldum is away on intentional duty and he was only  a substitute for the Netherlands against France on Friday night in Amsterdam when the side lost 3-2.

Gini came on in the final 14 minutes and maybe that means he will start for the team tonight when they take on England at Wembley in a game that will be in honor of one of the greatest players of all time – Johan Cruyff – who died last Thursday, aged 68.

Cruyff was one of the best players in the world and he played principally for Ajax before joining Barcelona when he was 26 in 1973.

Georginio-Wijnaldum-over-Oranje-Newcastle-en-Feyenoord

Gini Wijnaldum being interviewed on RTV Rijnmound

With Newcastle struggling in the league table and the Netherlands head coach Danny Blind already saying he’s worried because Newcastle have so many Dutch players in their ranks, Gini was asked if he regretted joining Newcastle.

This is what Wijnaldum said to RTV Rijnmond:

“I knew it was difficult because they had a tough year last year I made the choice with the full confidence and I still do not regret it.”

“I’m still happy at Newcastle.”   “I am just trying to do my thing and enjoy it – then you are at your best.”

It seems that Gini was a little surprised not to start the game on Friday night,  but we expect him to be involved against England tonight – but he had better not get injured.

This is his response when asked about the game against France, which they lost at home 3-2:

“I am a little shocked. “We had trained this system and then it went okay but the game was not as expected.“  “As a footballer you always want to play, but you only go with the choice of the coach.“

Gini will join up with the Newcastle squad tomorrow hopefully – and he can get some training in with his Newcastle team mates before the crucial game with Norwich City on Saturday afternoon.

It’s a game we cannot lose and a win would be simply fantastic.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Norwich City?

• Win (67%, 1,312 Votes)
  • Lose (19%, 384 Votes)
  • Draw (14%, 276 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,972

Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Tina is a complete mentalist Jib, not to say he wasn’t a decent player, but his opinions are a bit Zanussi at best.

• G

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Tino even.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Tino’s always been a loose cannon, a loose handgun, a screw loose in general…

• Thump

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM

He’s not a fan because he wasn’t fond of James?

Well, clearly Benitez is the devil incarnate.

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM

A walls individual pork pie short of a picnic. A tile off. Away with the show folk. Barmy. Crackers. Bananas…

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I too voted draw stupid win bar who is voting this as a win? Optimistic is one thing but this is asking for a smackdown 🙂

• martoon

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I’m hoping Gini doesn’t play tonight so he doesn’t get injured. I know he sometimes goes missing in games but I still think he is our best player and can suddenly produce a bit of magic to create or score a goal – makem match is a prime example.

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Well that’s the voice of authority there. A level headed appraisal of Benitez. I always suspected he was a closet Columbianist. You just never can tell can you? 🙂

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Talking of crazy South Americans who have played for the Toon.

Also apologies to Tsunki for the anectdotal nature.

An acquaintance of mine , Jimmy from North Shields was Mirandinha’s translator in
    the late 80’s
    One closed season they holidayed in Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.

They were by the hotel pool one morning when a woman screamed and there was the biggest green rattler you’ve ever seen.
    Mira pulled out the biggest pistol (an old colt 45 I think ) Jimmy had ever seen and blew the snake to bits.
    Mira had toted the gun all the way from Newcastle Airport to Guadelejara in his hand luggage !!!!
    These days you’d get stopped before the departure lounge !

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Tinos words when he first entered Julies on the quayside

“joder mira – todas estas rubias”

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

No need for apology Jib, enjoyable and curiously believable, considering our tino was himself a fan of carting a handgun about for those awkward moments 🙂

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Jib // Mar 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM

From OED
    the pronoun I, together with the proper noun Ed, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.
    ************************************************
    Jib you dunce. Correspondence between Ed and I.”I” is not the subject. It has to be “me”. Google only gets you so far.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM

I always thought Milner was sold because KK thought Schweinsteiger was on the way, not Modric. Either way never a huge Milner fan, final ball always left a lot to be desired.

I see carr is upset by relinquishing power to Rafa. I suggest Carr looks at his hits and misses columns and how much the latter has taken over now.

Carr was a poor manager and got a very unmerited ”super scout” tag. I understand Ash may not have followed through on some good suggestions but some have just been insane buys.

If we miraculously stay up a clean sweep of Carr, Charnley, Beardo and watson and 10 mainly French players should just be the start.

Spain and germany are where it’s at so hopefully no more Mondial s—e and let Rafa’s little black book of extensive contacts take centre stage.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Him and I sounds right though. Him and me not so much.

No actually he and I yes, him and I maybe not.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Mag52
    In your query, “I” is correct not “me” because “I” is the subject of the sentence. It is not in Jib’s case.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Blackley and Mr Tuff (sounds like a musical act)

Do you know the musical with Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner

The King and Me

😀

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Mr Tuff
    Thank you for helping to explain that point of grammar to Jib, the grammar police.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Blackley
    Do you know what a portmanteau word is ?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jib
    You dunce. It is the King and I for a reason. You are hopelessly confused. That’s okay. But please don’t pull people up for their spelling and grammar when you’re the worst offender. “Anonimity” indeed.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Jib
    How old are you? And you have gone through life blissfully unaware of this basic point of grammar. How funny that you need a pair of NUFC bloggers, who sound to you like a musical double act, to put you right.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Blackley
    A portmanteau word is a word made from two separate unconnected words to make a new third word.

To give an example let’s think of two innocuous words.

Let’s say “sand” and ” dancer” we all know what they mean.

However put them together and use the new word as a term for people from South Shields and according to your boyfriend they become a foul rascist slur .

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Carver claims he knew Wijnaldum was coming !!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM

JimmySmith,
    I hope you’re about and reading this. Jib commended me on my honesty awhile back but has no scruples when posting blatantly misleading links to back his point. You were right the first time Jimmy over the sale of Milner and that interview KK gave saying it was his decision was given under a lot of strain in the hope of saving and resolving a situation that was turning in to a farce. In fact, as I’ve stated before it was that interview that started my intense dislike of Ashley and his policies and started the chain of events that ended in relegation. KK had just said previously that the selling of Milner would be unthinkable, he was told more signings would be coming in with him thinking Sebastian Schweinzeger was one of them. When Xisco and Gonzales were brought KK resigned. It is inconceivable that we would not have gained one more point with Milner in the side. That single act of greed combined with lies and false promises cost us KK and relegation. Truly amazing if arch Ashley apologist Jib believes that KK sanctioned a sale that he later resigned/ was constructively dismissed over.
    Here’s link that explains the situation more accurately. In fact put in to any search engine:
    Keegean resigns over James Milner sale and it will tell the true story. Why Jib chooses to ignore this is beyond me!

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM

jimmysmith // Mar 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM

I notice a certain James Milner will win his 58th full International cap, when he skipper’s England against Holland at Wembley. We’ve lost some wonderful players and signed some very poor ones under Ashley so the sale of this particularly excellent one to Villa just as he began to blossom should hardly have come as a surprise, but after all these years it still upsets me, and if we hadn’t I doubt we’d have gone down the first time, and I’d doubt we’d go down this time either.

Jib // Mar 28, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Jimmysmith
    Another myth
    No opportunity will be missed to bash Ashley
    However
    “He’s a player, in an ideal world, you would not want to lose, but I just want to make it absolutely clear that at the end of the day, it was my decision to sell him,” Keegan said.

• Macas

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Getting rid of Gutierrez was the first big mistake of the season. Not getting rid of Sissoko was the second.

• beermonkey

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM

RH

at least with rafa in control he will buy who he wants and what he needs

the way we have been buying players has been flawed for a long time, with all people at the club to blame

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM

“Blackley and Mr Tuff (sounds like a musical act) ”

Actually found that. slightly amusing 🙂

On the “me” and “I” thing the rule is pretty simple, just think about the context in the singular and then apply it in the case of multiple address.

For example

“The taxi took my friend and I to the match” – does that sound right? Ok what about if you say “The taxi took I to the match”? Unless you are Bajan, that won’t work. Simple.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Jail you are very difficult to argue with because you have difficulty grasping the nub of arguments , probably because you have this blind hatred of Ashley.

I will make the effort to explain but I don’t hold out much hope of your understanding.

Jimmysmith said Ashley’s getting rid of Milner upset him.

Keegan got sold Milner , I clearly remember him saying that it was tough but £12 million was too much to refuse and could be used to buy some good replacements.

It was the replacements the money was used to buy that got up Keegan’s nose but Keegan’s fury over the summer buy ins is the next stage on from the sale of Milner which he condoned.

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM

I’ll just throw my well thrown hat into the ring ha ha and just chime in that I’m no fan of Milner either. Harder working than most players and that’s why he gets games. For me he’s no great player, and not really England material when times are good. I got the impression he did all he could to get a move to villa.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM

For the to$$ pot that is bills son, words from the great man himself SBR.
    “And no manager worth his salt is going to take the Newcastle job with the current set-up.”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Tsunki,
    Whether you are a fan or not the points is would we have got at least one more point with a player of his quality in the team and according to that link I posted he was trying to negotiate a new deal before handing in a transfer request.

• Tsunki

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Perhaps if they had offered Jonas a one year extension a lot of unseemly unpleasantness and horrid nastiness could have been avoided. By that I mean we might not be as crap and he wouldnt be taking the club to a tribunal. Just to be clear.

• Jib

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Tsunki
    Rolando Aarons would say
    “The taxi took I and I to the match”

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Jib, I do not find it difficult at all to grasp your point, it clearly says in nearly every article that KK was upset over the sale of Milner but was pacified by the fact he would be allowed more quality bsignings, your post earlier suggested that it was solely down to KK to get rid of him.
    The links supporting this are endless Jib.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM

As I explained earlier which I’m sure you do get was that KK saying it was down to him was his way of trying to make the best out of a situation that was turning in to a farce:
    ”Keegan’s absence was said to have resulted from a confrontation with Llambias over transfer policy. Last Tuesday Keegan had called the possibility of selling Milner “unthinkable”. Three days later, doing the club’s PR for them, he asked for time, hoping that Newcastle would be able to recruit “three or four” new players over the weekend”.

• Mag52

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Blackley.

So when Mr.Tuff states that ……’it is a well known rule of English grammar that after a preposition you don’t use a subject pronoun’, he is wrong, and should write out 100 times the words of the old favourite “It ain’t necessarily so”. Correct ?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Liars Jib and a tribunal proved it!