The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Issue Statement On Rob Elliot Injury

8:55 am, Wednesday, March 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

rob elliot knee slovakia

Rob Elliot – injuring his knee last night

This is the statement Newcastle have just issued on Rob Elliot’s injury.

Newcastle United goalkeeper Rob Elliot suffered a serious knee injury during Ireland’s friendly against Slovakia on Tuesday night.

The 29-year-old was stretchered off after 16 minutes of the 2-2 draw in Dublin.

Elliot will be assessed by the Club’s medical team on Wednesday, and a further update will be provided on in due course.

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Rob Elliot

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Goldmbemba // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:00 AM

I think now we realy have to adopt the ‘score more than them’ methodology.

Our defence arent going to keep us up, our attackers SHOULD be able to.

• 2 G // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Unlucky Rob, finally get to make your mark on the Prem, then the friendly international curse strikes again.

• 3 BrightonMag // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Scheiser-chiefs 🙁

• 4 G // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:11 AM

With regard to internationals, what with the European tournament approaching, isnt it about time Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane broke thier metatursals?

• 5 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Ravostag // Mar 29, 2016 at 10:44 PM

If Darlow is not that good then why on earth did we sign him???
    – – – – – – – –
    why on earth did we sign Obertan, marveaux, Riviere, cabella, Thauvin, Haidara, colback, saviet, gouffran etc, etc.
    – – – –

It has to be Woodman for me.

You may not agree with it but your aarons comments were still non pc which was the point, not whether you agreed or not.

• 6 Grafton83 // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:23 AM

We can get a keeper in on emergency loan if Woody and Darlow are injured or suspended. All they have to do is bite someone. Also what about free transfers, if a player is out of contract can’t we sign them regardless of it not being a transfer window, there must be some old knacker with a bit of juice left we could sign.

• 7 sing in the corner // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Very best of wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery. O’Neill had it right when he reflected on it coming at an horrendous time – established in the toon 1st team and off to the Euros. Sad, and awful luck.
    Carlow is he cab for the rank. This is the chance keepers wait for. Grab it with both hands young un.

• 8 sing in the corner // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Wow auto mischief…
    Darlow is the next cab off the rank I SHOULD say 🙂

• 9 Grafton83 // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM

I think this guy might be worth a look, played in Champions league a few times, lots of appearances in Holland, was at liverpool for a while but never started. Big tall and free, at 27 he must still be quite good.

• 10 Thump // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Darlow is more than capable, a little rusty perhaps, but capable all the same. We did it last season with Alnwick for a period, we can do it again… and surely there’s no arguing that Darlow is a better keeper than Alnwick.

• 11 Novocastrian66 // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:57 AM

What did we “do” with Alnwick last season, besides lose virtually every game if my memory is correct?

• 12 Toon_Tom // Mar 30, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Alnwick was bad – we didn’t really achieve anything other than thumping defeats really

• 13 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM

You are a Prince Albert , but old maid would be a better description. You are another pot stirring trouble-maker scouring every post of someone you dislike to have a nibble at , get a life.

Again I find myself agreeing with Tsunki about Rob Elliot

He’s 30 at the end of next month.

He is hardly on the verge of a long career as an International goalie .
    The current coaches are as complicit in this as anyone.
    I’m just thankful the rest of our players seem to be returning unscathed from international duty

• 14 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Alnwick got found out big time poor lad. Actually more to the point our academy system got found out big time. It still is a world away from feeding the first team with likely, never mind bright, prospects. Maybe thankfully Darlow isn’t a product of ours.

• 15 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Some people have very poor memories on here.
    Alnwicks first game was as a sub against Chelsea where he was integral in getting us a draw.
    A bit flappy but he scared the shit out of Mr aggression , Diego Costa.

• 16 Toon_Tom // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Jib – i see where you’re coming from – however I doubt you, myself, O’Neil or any of our coaches anticipated Rob getting injured. A keeper, in a friendly, picking up an injury is very very unlikely – just bad luck..

If an outfield player picked up an injury in a friendly, which is much more likely, then I would be a lot more angry.

• 17 Toon_Tom // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I remember when he cam on against Chelski, played very well – after that, not too much!

• 18 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I’m sure the club will continue to polish the spin machine and keep it on full revs for the sake of morale, but come season end and we go down you bet the recriminations will start. We can’t play the old “poor me I’m so badly done to” card all the time. Heads have got to roll for the catalogue of dire decisions that continue to be made. I can’t see Rafa sticking around, I think he’s probably already seen enough. Probably read the note blu-tacked to the wall behind the picture in his office that was left there by SM. “Run, you fool!”

• 19 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Probs right Tsunki
    His first game was his finest , he went rapidly downhill thereafter.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM

i accept darlow was nervous on his only previous game, but those nerves seemed to spread through the rest of the defence. The lack of planning at this club is totally scandalous.

• 21 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Toon_Tom mate, we’ve just been talking about how the same “unlikely” thing happened last season. Starting the season with only one recognised keeper, one that many didn’t fancy to start with, was a disaster in the making. It shouted “warning”. We of all clubs should have realised not only that it was possible but absolutely plausible that it would happen to us.

I tell you what I think – Elliott injury wasn’t the result of some outlandish fluke on the night, it started somewhere nearer to the training grounds of nufc. Two goalies with acl injuries? Could you make it up?

• 22 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM

One fine moment for Alnwick was when he clobbered Costa, I think it was. A fine moment, I’ll give him that memory 🙂

• 23 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Ah just saw jibs post @15 at least I was right.

• 24 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Tsunki you may well be right who knows.

I just think Rafa is half – thinking about staying on if we go down and the changes he mentions may be few but fundamental.

He mentions improvements to Benton which is strange for someone thinking short term .

The other changes could involve the whole top level with the board gone and some administrators in the game that Benitez knows being brought in.

He definitely is the best communicator the club has had since Chris Hughton.

• 25 Toon_Tom // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Tsunki – fair point!

• 26 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Anyway, what the heck, we just have to make for and mend. Time for Saylor to get his head together then. Big chance like Krul v Palermo, or a battering like Alnwick suffered a few times, we’ll soon see.

• 27 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Saylor? Autocorrect won’t forget will it? Darlow!

• 28 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM

With respect I think you got this the wrong way round, I already answered the first time you felt the need to insult me. I don’t see the justification for repeating it.

I guess I must have really asked to be insulted then. Most people have a softer pedal and don’t appear to be as socially challenged or have sufficient people skills to interact without recourse to unpleasantness.

I had high hopes you may had turned a corner.

• 29 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:19 AM

If Rafa does stay there needs to be a complete overhaul of the training system from the ground, literally, up.

I’m sick of seeing those photos of Ashley and Charnley grinning like recently – fed Billy and Bessie Bunter while they bodge and tinker with stuff they know nowt about. Get some experts in Mike! You can’t use the old ‘ naive’ excuse for ten years!

• 30 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Look in the mirror
    Your halo has slipped a bit to left

• 31 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM

We are as good as down now with elliot injury. No one to single handedly keep us in the game.

Gonna take a miracle to survive now. Darlow going by past performance needs to improve drastically.

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:47 AM

I don’t know thee quote, But isn’t this his opportunity to seize the day.

I think he’ll do what is needed to be done. Everyone was doom and gloom at the thought of Elliot having to step up, well perhaps not everyone!

If the defense is now playing better then there shouldn’t be quite the same pressure on any of our GKs that are called upon.

• 33 geordie157 // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:47 AM

I think darlow will be alright, we could do with tiote back in front of our shoddy defence though to help him.

Alnwick was poor but fair play to him he’s got a chance to step in at port vale as their no.1 got injured and he’s done well. Possibly found his level, think remi streete has done quite well there too.

• 34 geordie157 // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Is Mbabu back for Norwich?

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Alnwick is playing well for his current club by the way.

• 36 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM

For an old timer you could have chosen a better quote
    “life is short, seize the day”

• 37 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Something like “Vida breve Carpe Diem”

• 38 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Mbabu and Mbemba were both pencilled in for 2nd April returns. How possible they will be fit enough to play if that’s true, I dunno.

• 39 Tsunki // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:11 AM

For clarity, what are our options for a back four atm?

• 40 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:16 AM

The ironies of this season just go on and on.

David Moyes , Rafa’s old rival , will probably be the manager of Villa when we play them down there on May 7th .

• 41 toonincheek // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Jib – you say
    “Why the hell in our predicament and after the experience with Tim Krul was he allowed to play in some meaningless friendly in Dublin!
    The current coaches are as complicit in this as anyone.”

How are we to prevent his call-up to an international?

• 42 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I may be wrong but I thought clubs had more leeway to refuse ,quoting special circumstances , in the event of friendlies.

• 43 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Breaking news
    Elliot out for a minimum 6 months

• 44 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:39 AM

You are right
    Me am wrong

From FIFA
    Friendly matches on fixed/set dates
    A club holding the registration of a player called up to play in the national team must release him to the national association on the fixed/set dates for international matches in each calendar
    year The matches may be qualifying matches as defined under Art. 36 Paragraph 2a), or friendly matches.
    The player shall also be released for the period of preparation. For a friendly match, this period shall be 48 hours (Paragraph 5a).

• 45 Jib // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I think when I’ve heard about players not being released before it has been a case of his manager knowing the international coach personally and asking for a favour..

• 46 toonincheek // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Jib – not a big deal but tks for your clarification.

• 47 martoon // Mar 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM

I think I’ll start a conspiracy theory 🙂
    Is it a coincidence that the Ireland manager just happens to be an ex makem manager and gets our only first team keeper crocked?

previous post: Benitez – Two Or Three Small Changes Will Improve Everything