The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender – We Are Not Daunted By Norwich Game

11:36 pm, Thursday, March 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Daryl Janmaat has talked in the Chronicle this afternoon about taking some positive energy to Norwich City on Saturday, where we must try to get the win and cannot lose this game at Carrow Road.

Newcastle once again have massive injuries with the latest one being Rob Elliot, who was injured and out for at least six months after picking up a serious ACL knee injury playing in a friendly on Tuesday night for Ireland in Dublin.

Daryl Janmaat – could be fit for Norwich

This is what the 26 year-old Dutch International said in the Chronicle tonight:

“It is a big game – again.” “And it’s one that we have to look to win. We are looking forward to it, not daunting it.”

“If we go there with a positive energy and get something from the game.”

Newcastle have 11 players out injured plus Jack Colback, who is suspended for two games after picking up his 10th yellow card of the season against Sunderland.

Janmaat himself is doubtful for the game on Saturday, so we hope he is fit for this crucial game at Carrow Road.

Newcastle have just one point from the last five games and we must start winning games if we are to have any chance at all of avoiding relegation this season.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Norwich City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lindisfarne // Mar 31, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Townsend_____de Jong______Wijnaldum

2 – 3 Win for Toon

• 2 jimmysmith // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:06 AM

We’ve had a lot of injuries, but mostly to fringe players, so it’s less of an excuse than might appear.

We’ve struggled at left back all season, but may have been little better had both Haidarra and Dummet been fit. Cisse has been missed I think, but Mitro has always been preferred choice and largely available, similarly Tiote, but he had fallen down the pecking order too. Collocini I think has been missed recently, but far from everyone would agree.

We seem to have been able to put something approaching a first choice 11 out week to week and so while injuries have had some detrimental effect, the players fragile confidence and deficiencies within the make up of the core group seem far more instrumental to our problems.

• 3 Tsunki // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Jimmysmith – that and a tangible lack of skill, unfortunately.

• 4 jimmysmith // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:20 AM

I suppose Lascelles is the more natural left sided centre back and so has been getting the nod over Taylor. Would prefer Collocini, but fair enough. I hope we start Cisse and De Jong. De Jong can nod them on for him, be an outlet for the midfield to hit, and hold the ball up and bring others in, much like Mitro, but in the hole, with Cisse up top ahead of him to do the finishing

• 5 jimmysmith // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:34 AM

We have plenty of ability I think, apart from the abilities to finish and clear our lines at critical moments. Deary me, little wonder we lack confidence. Who put this lot together? Carr, I suppose. He should be the first against the wall, should we go down.

• 6 Toonacious T // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:56 AM

This is the team I think Benitez will field:

Sissoko De Jong Townsend
    Wijnaldum Shelvey

Anita Lascelles Mbemba Janmaat

• 7 Toonacious T // Apr 1, 2016 at 12:57 AM

I’m assuming, as Ed reported, Tiote is injured.

• 8 jimmysmith // Apr 1, 2016 at 1:22 AM

McC didn’t much fancy Tiote, Cisse or DeJong, and even though admittedly they’ve been unavailable for large periods, in hindsight marginalizing them as he seemed to was a grave tactical error.

It’s hard to imagine a regular midfield and attack of…..

not scoring the goals to keep us out the relegation spots, with Shelvey and Townsend still good additions to that.

Ah yes, hindsight. Where would I be without it.

• 9 jimmysmith // Apr 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM

If I was Tiote, I might be a touch on the bitter side wondering what might have been, after 7 prime career years spent on Tyneside, and I wonder if he isn’t.

His talents deserved a shot in a more senior side.

He’s a better passer of the ball than given credit for.

It’s hard to pull the strings in midfield when so many of your teammates are losing their personal battles.

• 10 Goromagpie // Apr 1, 2016 at 1:48 AM

How is my team guys ?

• 11 Blofal // Apr 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM

Benitez is well known for not dropping Spanish players so I think he will keep Perez as a starter. Even though I believe Perez to be much more effective off the bench. I think Benitez will start Sissoko where he finished last game at LB and the team will look like this..

Janmaat – Mbemba – Lascelles – Sissoko
    ———–Wijnaldum – Shelvey
    —Townsend—-De Jong——Perez

Subs: Woodman, Cisse, Riviere, Anita, Taylor, Tiote, Aarons

• 12 Veltman // Apr 1, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Sissoko is not good defensively.If he stuck him at left back,we’re f***.Better put Anita there or even Saivet.What’s the craic on Colo & Haida?

Janmaat Mbemba Lasell Anita
    Wijnaldum Shelvey
    Sissoko Siem dj Townsend

• 13 martoon // Apr 1, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Veltman @12 – I agree with you about Sissoko at LB – he can’t tackle. I’d rather see Anita at LB – I think he played there for Ajax. The only drawback with Anita is his height – if I was an opposition manager I would tell my striker to go to the right and play diagonal high balls – Anita would have no chance!

• 14 posada // Apr 1, 2016 at 7:39 AM

I wish people would stop putting Wijnaldum in CM in a 4/2/3/1.
    Simply can’t play there.
    CM you have to be able to defend to some degree.
    Not his game in there. Might make the team sheet look good with his name on it but that’s all.

• 15 Mag52 // Apr 1, 2016 at 7:52 AM

We’re not blessed with choice, but for me it’s got to be Anita ahead of Sissoko at LB. Our defenders are going to have to protect the goalie a bit more than usual and if you’re not a natural tackler you don’t want to be taking on raiding wingers anywhere around the penalty box.
    Personally I’d play Sissoko right back, in the dressing room.

• 16 rush_nufc // Apr 1, 2016 at 8:15 AM

@Blofal lineup would be perfect.That team would be too much for poor norwich defence.

• 17 Jib // Apr 1, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Janmaat M’Bemba Lascelles Sissoko
    Saivet Shelvey Wijnaldum Townsend
    De Jong Mitrovic

Saivet has filled in at both left and right wing at Bordeaux and for Senegal

previous post: Can Newcastle Win At Norwich City?

next post: Only One Player Back From Injury For Newcastle