The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player´s Comments Mask Massive Internal Problems

9:41 am, Monday, April 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

£12M signing from Tottenham Andros Townsend has come out today – after we lost at Norwich on Saturday – and said that we have a great squad and he cannot believe we are in the position we are in – 6 points from safety with just seven games to go.

But that´s where we are and more than that – if we continue to be in the bottom three after the final game of the season – we will become a Championship club next season – however good the squad is supposed to be.

On SkyBet we are 1/8 odds-on to be relegated – second favorites behind only Aston Villa.

Andros+Townsend+Norwich+City+v aleksandar mitrovic +Newcastle+United+luBF0OToarfl

Andros Townsend celebrates Mitrovic goal on Saturday

Andros says he has not regrets at all about joining Newcastle and he is really upbeat:

“I definitely don’t have any regrets,” “I’m playing for a massive club and playing Premier League football.”

“I’m playing 90 minutes of games, and I’m 100% delighted with the move I made to Newcastle. I’ll give absolutely everything to help this club stay in the league.”

“For me, it’s mad we are where we are,” “For me, we’ve got an incredible squad, full of internationals in almost every position.,” “It’s crazy that we’re in the position we’re in.”

“For me, it’s mad we are where we are,” “For me, we’ve got an incredible squad, full of internationals in almost every position.”

“It’s crazy that we’re in the position we’re in.” “But it’s up to everybody else to judge why that’s happened.” “The results don’t reflect the quality that we’ve got within the squad, if anything it’s the opposite.”

We cannot criticize Andros for being so upbeat and he is not the first person to say Newcastle have a very good squad so how come we are second bottom of the league?

Certainly we are the Premier League´s biggest spenders this season with £82M spent on eight new players.

Well maybe it´s because we hired a second-class head coach last summer who had days before been fired by Championship  club Derby County for poor performance last season.

And maybe it´s the incompetence of the person who hired him – Managing Director Lee Charnley – why Newcastle are floundering in second bottom place six points from safety right now.

Lee+Charnley+Newcastle+United+v+Leicester+gB7g6AU8P1_l

Lee Charnley

When Lee Charnley has his performance review at the end of this season we should remember that a top eight finish and winning a cup were the targets for this season.

And £82M was invested to reach that target – the most Newcastle have ever invested in the transfer market in any one season.

We will not be anywhere near achieving those targets and probably end up being relegated.

We hope Mike Ashley will hold those accountable who have been responsible for this complete and utter disaster for the famous Newcastle United Football Club and the loss of £150M in May of next year.

And of course the owner himself is ultimately responsible for the mess, because he put Lee in a position for which he is totally unqualified and then kept him there for the last two years.

Newcastle´s results have been simply disastrous over that period and since we don´t want to get too depressed so early in the week, we will not detail those results other than say they are disastrous.

That´s why Newcastle will very likely now be relegated,  because we are the worst run club in the Premier League if not in the whole of the Football League.

That´s the truth and it´s also a total rip-off of every single Newcastle United fan – wherever they are located around the world – that we could be in the second division next season.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I said before that Rafa mentioned on Radio Newcastle that he’d been working with the group that didn’t go away to internationals. He named dropped Mitro and Doumbia as not being there.

It is logical that if he’s been doing a week’s worth of tactics and strategy that he uses Cisse. Cisse, if given decent service, is a good goal scorer so I don’t know what people are so shocked for?

For those that are already questioning Benitez, dear me. It’s beyond belief and is highlighting a lack of acknowledgment of football knowledge in general.

The guy is a world class manager, one that has chosen to come to us to try and turn things around as he sees the club as such a great project.

Is it going to be easy straight away??? No!!!

We hadn’t scored 2 goals in a game for 6 games before he arrived, now we have. We hadn’t scored in 5 games against Sunderland, now we have! We’d lost 6 games in a row! He’s already broken that run after 9 games in charge! He’s already made certain improvements in some formational areas as well.

It’s stupidity to be on at a world class manager after 3 games. Give your heads a shake. I’m fully behind him, regardless of changes that I don’t understand.

I’d have kept Lascelles in instead of Taylor, but if that’s what Raffa wants after seeing what’s happened in training, I’m fine with that. Why? Because he has a track record of success at varies clubs and is by far a better manager than you or I.

• 2 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM

*various clubs

• 3 martoon // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:49 AM

I have to say I was very optimistic we could get out of trouble. However after Saturday’s result I have resigned myself to relegation. I just can’t see how we can get enough points now with our next game away to Southampton and our game in hand City at home – I just can’t see us getting any points from these games which leaves the remaining 4 games of which we probably have to win all 4 – very unlikely especially the last game being Spurs at home!

• 4 Jib // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Martoon
    Did you see the West Indies yesterday go into the last over needing 19 runs and the best they had got in any previous over was 8 ?
    Keep de faith maan ( said in a Trenchtown accent )

• 5 G // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Agreed Martoon, I can feel the vultures circling. I haven’t given up hope yet, to be fair I expect Rafa to get the lads scraping for each and every point. Fingers crossed something can happen, as thing stand, it’s looking very likely we will be competing in the champo next season.

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Townsend has been ok since he came in the sense that he puts in a shifts, and genuinely appears to be trying. Unfortunately, in terms if his actual ability and end product, he looks more at home in the team second from the bottom rather than the team second from the top. Our transfer policy in a nutshell, you might say. Affordable, acceptable on the face of it, but ultimately just not good enough.

• 7 martoon // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Jib – Yeah I saw it which depressed me even more – actually the Windies had a previous over of 14 but I get your point. You do get freak results at the end of the season so hopefully we might be on the end of some of these but we need a major change of luck!

• 8 posada // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM

How much is Charnley to blame.
    Choice of McClaren as manager. Transfers like Thauvin.
    He’s not a football person. These are footballing decisions.
    They were made by Carr. Simply could not be anybody else.
    Charnley does not manage the squad he gets the deals done.
    I’ve heard he is not very personable and not a good negotiator, but appointing the manager and selecting the players is not down to him.

• 9 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Posada, good luck with garnering any sympathy here for Charnley. I reckon you might have one person the world over in agreement.

• 10 geordie157 // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Good to see mitrovic starting to score goals, the problem is with our defence we’re always going to score two or three to have a chance of picking up points.

And it’s getting to the stage that gini and sissoko should be told that aren’t going to travel to away games….

• 11 John Akomfrah // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM

penfold should old be able to get a job as a bog cleaner …
    it appears he is good at cleaning up shit….not

• 12 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Any chance of us getting 3 points at Southampton? Lol

• 13 posada // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Re comment at 9. I have no sympathy for him. He’s probably on a six figure sum and more for what he does.
    Part of a self supporting set of fools who run the club.
    But, my point is the important decisions are made by Carr. Footballing decisions.
    He has clearly gained the confidence of the owner. Hides behind the title Chief Scout. Never speaks. Is never held to account for these mad decisions.

• 14 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:52 AM

astounded if anyone is blaming Benitez?? The players are to blame in the first instance. The board in the second.
    McClaren isn’t as bad a manager as he’s been made to look. Bentiez is a world class manager, but if he’s not got the players to work with what can he do?
    I think colback coming in alongside shelvey will help. Dummett at left back is woeful, but he is a left back so its an improvement. Can’t stand colo but again, he seems to be the best of a bad bunch alongside Mbemba.
    I’d drop Sissoko mind. And possibly Gini. Neither have contributed for months.
    Mitro seems to be responding to this new striker coach Benitez has bought in. We’re not down yet, 4 wins keeps us up for me. I see us beating Villa, Palace and Swansea. The man city game comes amongst champions league games so that’s a positive and we have a good record against spurs who may have nothing to play for by then…

• 15 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM

What must ben Stokes be feeling this morning!!!
    Last over 18 runs to play with, which even in T20 is still quite an ask. Sensational hitting by Brathwaite. Always had a soft spot for the windies so not as upset as if we had lost to the aussies.

Horrible weekend for all my teams. My under 12’s lost, NUFC lost, Barcelona lost, England lost the cricket, even CP got a late equaliser!

• 16 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM

jay

maybe rafa could find individual coaches for the rest of the shower, does seem to be working well for Mitro.

• 17 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:05 AM

i was thinking that NUFC games won’t be streamed in the championship and then thought maybe that’s not such a bad thing and I can get a life on saturday afternoons.

• 18 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM

If we get relegated I’ve a sneaky suspicion Rafa may just stay on.. he sounds like he’s thinking long term on occasion and he seems like he’s loving the north east as a whole. The guy spent 6 months coaching his kids team a year back on the Wirral, just loves his football.
    If we drop down we actually have a solid basis to build. No team drops 11-12 players after relegation, 3 or 4 go.
    I think in our case we’d see Gini, Janmaat, Sissoko, cisse and Krul go. maybe anita?
    I’ve a sneaky suspicion Mitro, perez and mbemba will stay for a year, they are young enough to develop here still and I’m certain Townesend and Shelvey will. We were bottom 3 when they joined so they knew the risk.
    The core then, whilst not being that spectacular in the premier league is actually very decent in the division below.
    Darlow was considered one of the best keepers in the championship at forest. Elliot would stay and is definitely good enough for that level.
    Lascelles would be better than 99% of cb’s in that league.
    Dummett or haidara would go from a 5/10 PL player to a 8/10 championship player
    Colback, Shelvey and Townesend would be a cut above anyone in there.
    Got a feeling Thauvin will stay due to no takers and De Jong would consider staying. Guy just needs football. Saivet similar would probably stay.
    Add into there Toney, Good, possibly riviere, they’ve got Sammy Ameobi coming back too.
    Add Aarons and Armstrong into there and our general core is light years ahead of what we’d face in the championship even with 5 or 6 players out going.
    if we lined up next year with a side of

Elliot
    Mbabu Mbemba Lascelles Dummett
    Townesend Colback Shelvey Aarons
    Armstrong Riviere
    That’s a side with no signings and without 18 players that have featured in our first team this season…

• 19 Goromagpie // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM

I personally think we can get 3 points from Southampton game.bcoz-

1.Our players will be taking Southampton as a tuff match which will result in them giving a hard and tuff performance.(our matches against Chelsea ,Liverpool, Spurs)

2.Now Benitez knows all the players well and could field a attacking side.

3.Mitro will again score as Southampton find hard to clear crosses .

Possible team by Benitez-
    Darlow
    janmaat —-colo—Bemba—sissoko
    Town—shelvy—wini—-Perez
    —-cisse—-mitro

3 points up for grabs.:)

• 20 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Following the jolly to La Manga we had 2 games in hand on the teams above and managed to blow them, then proceeded to throw away our 2 x six pointer games.

The only thing I didn’t understand was Taylor coming in for Lascelles but other than that I don’t think Rafa could have done much more.

Principally Carr (and Charnley) must take an awful lot of blame for the demise of NUFC.
    But to be fair both were ridiculously over promoted beyond their abilities.

• 21 scout // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Funny that because against Norwich for one goal you were just standing there watching. Get your finger out.

• 22 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:30 AM

shelvey also looked slow and disinterested in getting across and putting some cover on for their winner. I still can’t believe how darlow seemed to dive out of the way of MBokani’s shot for the 2nd.

How cruel is football though, if only cisse had scored with that header with 5 mins to go.

• 23 posada // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM

If you break down the three Norwich goals you can find fault in a number of places.
    How do you cut that out. Well sorry but it has me beat.
    I saw us defend well against Liverpool, West Ham and West Brom, certainly better than that.
    Could you imagine Leicester conceding just one goal like that in a game. Not really.

• 24 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Certain players benefit if we go down. For sure. Its a risk playing them. And unsurprisingly they are the biggest culprits for not showing up. Janmaat, Sissoko and Gini will all get moves on far bigger contracts should we drop, and all 3 will know that Newcastle are traditionally difficult sellers if we stay up. The fact that no one at Newcastle has a relegation pay cut clause is astounding. Players are selfish and unfortunately we don’t have enough that are motivated by personal pride or love for the club, the board have bought in too many lightweight foreign players using the club as a showcase.
    My first act would be to play the lads that actually care and then fill in the remaining spaces.
    I’d start Lacelles, Mbemba, Shelvey, Colback, Townesend, Mitrovic, de jong and perez and then fit in whats left in the remaining positions.
    Gini and Sissoko have done absolutely nothing for 5 months…

• 25 Tsunki // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:02 PM

It just brightens my day when Ed posts random pics of Billy Bunter (photo caption :- “hmmm…That’s NOT the cake I ordered…” one of the chief architects of our slow and painful demise. I remember some time back, way before Ian Toon picked it up and misapplied it 🙂 talking about the “Dead Cat Bounce” – a phenomenon manifested by failing companies which seem to rally just before they inevitably go under. The promotion and getting to 5th was our Dead Cat Bounce. It is just sad that we have all watched Ashleys idea of us as his ad mule force us to descend for the second and final time. There’ll be no more bouncing in a hurry.

• 26 Munster Mag // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Jail, I was probably a bit harsh in my comments on Rafa after a tiring day and a few vinos last night. But at least I had highlighted selection problems and team line-up before the game, and am not trying to be wise after the event. Unlike plenty others on here.

I have no idea why he chose Taylor
    I have no idea why he dropped Lascalles who did well v Sunderland
    I have no idea why Sissoko is on the left when no other manager has played him there, including France
    We blew a massive chance to beat Sunderland at home but we were totally undermotivated compared to the red peril in the first half.
    We were rubbish v Norwich in first half
    Dropping Mitro was a stupid stupid decision
    We have 2 points from 9
    We should have 4 surely – or is Sunderland at home too much?

I appreciate that Carr ( i was banhging that drum a long time ago ), Charnley, Fats , SMC , and our dross players etc are to blame too , but if Rafa was an average manager parachuted in here – we would be on his back.

So lets try to be a bit consistent. Is the team selection/motivation/team shape is poor etc, then its poor – whether its Rafa / Pardew/SMC / Joe Bloggs.

Also, we need to either decide that our players are shit are not. We said SMC was a fool because he made nothing of some good players. But we cant say anything negative about Rafa when he is 6 mins from losing v Sunderland and pretty crap against Norwich for much of the game. So if we are crap, it cant be Rafa’s issue. What nonsense. Yes I appreciate his Cv, and am pleased he is here, but lets face facts, the motivational bounce that we needed has been negligible.

• 27 Munster Mag // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Jayphoto, sadly you are correct on that. And many of us saw Wiji and Janmaat as leaders? Lazy tarts. Didnt Janmaat make some speech at a black tie dinner or something ?? The problem we face is that we will lose Pearson if we go down and Rafa goes too. Pearson did a brilliant job getting Leicester up, and would sort out some of these halfwits.

• 28 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM

@munster – im not so sure we’ll lose Rafa to be honest, I think he’d be up for the challenge but im guessing it’d come down to money.
    Not sure Pearson would get past an interview with our owner/board. I’d not be surprised if they looked at Sherwood though The championship is different now to before. Continental approaches and players are having more success than before.

• 29 solano // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:34 PM

All this “blame game” stuff is ridiculous. Can’t you remember Mike saying last May that “the buck stops with me” ?

• 30 martoon // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:36 PM

posada 23 – Two of their goals came from needless freekicks. On both occasions we fouled players on the touchline when there was no danger – absolute madness and still boils my p*ss even now!

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Munster,
    I was taking your post seriously until you said it! Yes you actually mentioned that you were banging the Carr drum, I stopped reading after that.
    Jayphoto,
    I have to disagree on Mclaren, he was a failed Championship manager who was not here on merit at all but because of his willingness to agree to what those other three unqualified loons on the board had to say. There were numerous PL clubs who hired and fired managers while Mclaren was back in England but none of them approached the ex England manager, his biggest ineptitude at all was allowing himself to be dictated to by a tea boy, elderly scout and an after dinner speaker. his desperation to manage in the PL cost him his already shredded dignity.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM

When Mikey said he is staying until we win something, I was filled with dread, in that same creepy interview he promised to fund a promotion if the worst happened and we went down, he also said the ”buck stops with him”. In his last more sinister interview he blamed the board and said there’s no money left so don’t come crying, do we really want this ‘orrible cnut running our club.

• 33 scout // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM

People who say Sissoko and the likes will move onto bigger contracts are mental. Who’s gonna buy them they’re all rubbish.
    Every player who done well was moved on, Carroll, Ba, Remy, Cabaye, Dubuchy and probably more.
    Now they get what they deserve, selling cheap tat doesn’t qualify you to run a club. A 10 year old wouldn’t have made the mistakes this lot have.

• 34 martoon // Apr 4, 2016 at 12:57 PM

JFA @32 – No we don’t but unfortunately there are no buyers out there especially if we are relegated!

• 35 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I really dont see how the board can remain when we go.

Carr’s signings not any managers have contributed to our downfall.

It’s not just signing the odd dud which happens. It’s that we’ve blown our whole bank balance on players that were obvious flops (Thauvin and Riviere are the main two culprits).

Dare I say it, I’m not sure we would’ve been here with Llambias at the helm. He was a horrible person but he was a tad smarter than Chamless.

• 36 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM

martoon

I disagree. I think there are buyers but no one will do business with Mike as they know he’ll stubbonly refuse unless someone overpays for the club as he did.

If Villa can attract interest so can we.

I think the only way we’ll assist a new buyer is by getting the fans organised enough to attract a consortium of some kind.

• 37 Munster Mag // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Jail irrespective of your obsession with Fats, his 80 mill should have been enough to keep us up. 8 x 10 mill players …i wonder what Leicester would have done with that money. He is a horrible owner, but he stumped up the readies this year and had it wasted. I wonder how much Watford spent on their new team, and look at the return they got. As for my comments re Rafa, if you are unable to comment tactically re a team pre and post games , dont blame me. They are fair comments. I like Rafa but lets not shy away from criticising something if we feel its valid and fair. He HAS to get his teams firing in the first half and in reality, he has enough within the 11 to do that . If he doesnt, lets not fawn all over his CV.

• 38 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM

The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

We’ve shipped goals for years now. Yet we have never bothered to bring in Prem proven CBs.

We shouldve gone after Johnny Evans, Micah Richards, Robert Huth, Scott Dann,

These are all premier league proven defenders. They dont light up the field but they will solidly perform and that is what we need.. We couldve got these guys in. We dont need the best defence in the league. We just need a solid 6/10 defence to survive, Ours has been a shambles for season.

I dont blame Mbemba too much. I think if he was given the opportunity to play as second season he’d be quality next year.

We need to get the balance right between age, experience, potential, flair, consistency. We havent

• 39 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Munster Mag

Agree.

Ashley can be blamed for appointing this board. But he made the funds available. Carr and Co squandered it completely.

You mention Leicester but imagine Southampton spending £80m. They’d have won the league months ago. They are one of the best managed clubs in the league. Their signings are almost always successful and reasonably priced. They are attractive to watch play and they do it self-sufficiently as well as coping with loosing players. And they were in administration not so long ago.

How can clubs like Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland not look at Southampton and realise they are doing everything terribly.

• 40 optimistic prime // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Curtis Goode may play for the under 21s tonight, we’re saved.

On who’s to blame for the mess NUFC is in.

If I got 3 toddlers to paint my house and supplied all the correct equipment and they made a right mess of it, is that my fault or theirs?

Ashley out

• 41 reilly // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:31 PM

robocop is back for kodi.

• 42 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Last post.

But interesting thought this morning.

Look at the 3 clubs that looks as though they are going down.

Sunderland, Us and Villa.

All 3 are long established premier league clubs with sizeable fan bases and history (Sunderland less so but still.., compared to Norwich, Swansea, Southampton, West Brom, Watford)

Yet all 3 have had woeful seasons the past few years.

Really the writing was on the wall and poor club management has sent all 3 of us down. All 3 sets of fans deserve far better (Even Sunderland dare I say it)

Randy Lerner has completely neglected his club.

Mike Ashley has squeezed the life out and left his cronies to screw it up more.

Ellis Short has made skittish decisions (given Steve Bruce and Di Canio all the money to spend, and none to Fat Sam and Advocaat)

Usually at least one of the relegation teams (normally 2) are recently promoted minnows that were punching above their weight. Someone like Blackpool, Wigan, QPR, Norwich in the past, Burnley, Hull.

This season its 3 grossly mismanaged clubs with serious premier league pedigree/history.

• 43 LGFUAD21 // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM

optimistic prime

Great analogy.

Charnley and Carr are terrible at their jobs. Mike is a terrible owner for allowing terrible managers to continue.

• 44 optimistic prime // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:41 PM

LGF

It’s not just Charnley and the other two stooges, there’s coaches etc who shouldn’t be anywhere near a prem club but they’re cheap.

You reap what you sow and we’re reaping the shit that Ashley’s been sowing for 9 years.

Watching the club unravel has been a nightmare, It’s like being a passenger on the Titanic, all the passengers have been pointing at the iceberg for years, but the captain isn’t listening because he’s to busy on the karioke machine belting out “my way”

• 45 one fine day // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

look on the bright side lads…
    After all the revelations coming out in the papers on Sunday at least we can all be assured that not one player from Newcastle united football club is likely to be named in a lists of suspects who may have been given EPO or any performance enhancing drugs 🙂
    I think that is pretty much guaranteed.

• 46 bladeuser // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Let’s lay it on the line we lost because we are shit plain as that but not starting mitro was a pathetic decision by RAFA just because he has managed top clubs does not make him special he has had 3 games one against the possible champions where we could have got a draw but the scum and Norwich we were useless so stop hanging your hat on him
    Start to think about arma getting us out of the championship and beating the scum to the title
    ASH OUT COLO OUT SHEEP OUT RAFA?

• 47 jordijohnty // Apr 4, 2016 at 1:50 PM

here’s a tough one. who would you rather see go down with us. The mackems or pardew’s palace. i think that would soften the blow

• 48 welshgeordie9 // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:00 PM

for once i agree with bladeuser.

• 49 welshgeordie9 // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Wow, did i just say that.

• 50 Tsunki // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Reilly @41 nice spot glad someone’s keeping an eye on Kodi addons 😉

• 51 Tsunki // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM

it’s always good to hold ones counsel until we have the latest considered sage words from Bladeuser. Calming as a nice bubble bath with candles and all that.

• 52 Tsunki // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Yes you did just say that Welsh.

Not half as utterly irritating as your ‘Bring back Pardew’ nonsense, thankfully.

• 53 lesh // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Ed

If you honestly believe that Ashley’ll take Charnley through a performance review as we humble folk understand it your living in a fantasy world.

Charnley’s nothing more an MD in name only – he’s Ashley’s place man who’s there to do Ashley’s bidding.

In a decently run business, the MD would’ve been set measurable objectives and in Charnley’s case, they will have been avoid relegation. But when Ashley’s holding the reins for an incompetent clown like Charnley, we have the makings of disaster – two people who know nowt about the football business and both guided by a de facto DoF I’m Carr who in turn recommended a third rate HC in McClaren, relegation’s a certainty.

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Tsunki

Bring back who, who’s Pardew never heard of him.

• 55 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I really blame rafa for the defeat. I can’t understand not starting mitrovic and having Taylor who was crap the game before and sissoko on the left? Really.

If rafa had played a proper team we could have won. Rafa was to blame.

• 56 jayphoto // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM

can’t agree with that! The players play the game! This many managers (4 now) can’t all be the problem. Too long the club has tried to buy young, unproven players and hope they back a winner… pundits have being say for years its only a matter of time before that policy takes us down. We’ve needed defenders for 5 seasons yet taylor and coloccini (defenders who took us down before) are still here and play regularly.
    We needed this season an experienced centreback and an experienced centre forward and instead we signed 2 20 year olds that had never played in the PL.
    Even in January… we needed a left back, a centreback and a striker…we got 2 midfielders…

• 57 cyprus // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Andros
    I supported you’re move but you haven’t cut it. Not as bad as Shelvey, but still bad.
    Ed,
    You need to post Rafa’s table mate. Watch him compete with Carver. That should be a laugh.

• 58 cyprus // Apr 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Your not you’re

• 59 SPRINGY // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM

reilly
    cheers for udate on robo…….afternoon all

• 60 Jib // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Reilly
    Cheers for that
    I had uninstalled ORCU but when I checked the repository it had updated to bulldog so I just installed from there.
    The BT hd and Sky hd have a perfect picture but Sky still has issues, but will be sorted this month according to forums.
    Thanks again

• 61 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Not looking forward to seeing how our defence copes with Pelle , Mane and Long this weekend

• 62 sweendog // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM

here’s something to think about, if we get a win at Southampton will we stay up, somebody on here had a fixture prediction that had us getting beat by Norwich and we stayed up.
    All it takes it a bit of hope and I think these players will push on, maybe the pressure is off them now

• 63 Jib // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Truth be told I blame the buffoons in the away support (Biffa’s words , not mine) who pissed about with the football on 44 minutes and irritated Dean so much he added 3 extra minutes.
    The fact that Dean missed the handball for their 3rd goal really rubbed the salt in.

• 64 jimiley // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM

It is strange that nobody has any regrets about coming to a madhouse. How an owner can give his cash to Stan and Oliver is beyond me. He must be dafter than them both. Disgusting. Stay away. It will only get worse.

• 65 jimiley // Apr 4, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Somebody blogged we need 4 wins to stay up. Oh really, and who is the medium who has determined Norwich will fold??? Four wins will give us 37 points and Norwich currently have 31 points and a superior goal difference. So they are not going to win two games? We will win 4 because teams do not try at the end of the season. But they will conveniently try against Norwich coz they like us? Most sides would rather have Norwich stay up because we are the loud mouthed big cheeses (their perception not my view)with the obnoxious owner. If anything they will try harder against us. And Rafa is not staying. I cannot believe how people grasp at straws. He would not stay for 6 million a year and I doubt he would stay if MA handed him the ownership. The chances of him staying are no higher than 10%. A betting man would put a fortune on him going

• 66 Moonraker15 // Apr 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM

LCBC
    I know I live in hope but S’ton looked harmless against Leicester. Also Shane Long is injured. Our losing run has to end eventually and I think the lads will be up for it against S’ton who may not be looking forward to playing in the Europa league next year! This is the time when you get freak results when some are thinking of their holidays. Rafa will win games; we were a bit unlucky against Leicester and could easily have beaten Norwich! 7 games is a lot at this time! We can’t give up till its mathematically certain. Look at Leicester last year and the Mackems! I think we will get at least 4 wins and 2 draws; that’s 39 points ! Should be enough!
    HWTL BELIEVE!

• 67 Moonraker15 // Apr 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Bladeuser
    You are missing the point about Rafa’s team selection against Norwich! Mitro scored 2 goals and made chances when he came on so that plan worked! The problem was at the other end where he had few options and obviously conceded 3 goals but the ref missed the handball so really 2-2 was the right result. Rafa doesn’t bother moaning at refs but other managers would have been raging about that!
    The fact you are critical of Rafa’s team selection shows you up !
    Get real man this guy is a world class manager; he knows more than we will ever know !

• 68 Moonraker15 // Apr 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM

This is a strange season what with Leicester having a great season but no real challenge from the big boys so it’s been handed to them really! Next season the status quo will be restored at the top and 3 small clubs relegated again; Leicester won’t be in the top ten when injuries kick in and their defence starts conceding. Last time this happened was when Shearer’s Blackburn won it but they had spent a fortune; needless to say even that was a one-off!

previous post: Our Man Of The Match Could Yet Save Newcastle