The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Now Paying For Being Worst Run Club In League

1:17 pm, Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Newcastle have easily been the worst run club in the Premier League this season and we are now paying for that in full.

It´s difficult to talk too much about the summer at the moment because we don´t know which division we will be in – although it´s now much more likely to be the Championship.

We also don´t know who will be running the club as the top executive and who the new manager will be.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – Newcastle Managing Director

A report today in The Sun suggests that if Rafa Benitez gets the Spanish National Job he will leave Newcastle this summer – even if he keeps us up – however doubtful that looks at the moment.

When he was at Liverpool Rafa had said on a number of occasions that he dreamed of managing Spain one day.

This is what he said in May of 2010 when still manager of Liverpool:

“Right now I have four years left in my contract with Liverpool and I am very happy there,” “But, of course, in a few years, once Vicente del Bosque ends his work, I would like to be Spain coach.”

“All of the Spanish coaches would like in the future to become national team manager.”

That could have been one reason he didn’t commit to stay at Newcastle past this season and has an out-clause in his contract.

So uncertainty reigns at Newcastle at the moment and it´s just less than six weeks to the end of the season and we still have seven games to play.

Wins are what we need – draws will not save us now.

If we do go down it will be a huge blow to the image and prestige of Newcastle United and  those of us around the world who away from home base.

We will not be able to get the Championship games whereas we get every single Premier League game live on TV or via streaming here in the US.

That would not be good and the only place a club as big and famous as Newcastle United should be in – is the Premier League – that may not be the case next season however.

That would be a crying shame, but it’s been coming over the last two or three seasons due the atrocious way the club has been run by those at the top.

Tags: Coaching · Crisis · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 nufc786 // Apr 5, 2016 at 1:21 PM

If we go down, and Rafa leaves I would like to see Brendan Rodgers in charge. He got Swansea promoted and playing decent football. But we need more characters…. What are the odds of convincing Kevin Nolan to give up his player/ manager role with Leyton Orient ?

• 2 martoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Blackley and Brownlie from last topic – I broadly agree with you about the squad but when I say bending the truth I mean it’s madness to compare stats between Carver who had about half a season (not sure exactly how many games) and Rafa who has had 3 games. You just can’t extract sensible stats from such a small sample. As Ibiza pointed out 1 win and Rafa’s percentages would rocket up.

• 3 terencelim // Apr 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Ashley and all his ass lickers negative fans out!

• 4 Blofal // Apr 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM

If we go down I think Ashley will sell. His latest interview where he suggested we a stuck with him is bollocks. We become a financial burden if we a relegated and if the offer is right then he will sell. But that doesn’t mean we are going to get a benevolent oligarch coming in for us… it’s just as likely to be another Ashley.

• 5 beefman13 // Apr 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM

MA has simply employed the wrong personnel throughout his tenure,hes pulled to many strokes, upset to many people, took to many gambles, to be fair i stuck up for the fella many times i will admit that,but i always thought he would protect his investment, i think he thought he was doing that spending that 82 million but he gave it to the wrong people to do that, no, the ground renaming and not paying for the SD advertising really turned my stomach, Kinnear Pardew Carver Mclaren are just to daft for words.

Maybe Mike will do the decent thing and sell up and walk away, im sure it has been more of a hassle and hinderence than anything else, you either do that or get football people in who know what they are doing, so goodbye Carr n Charnley for starters.

Its a mess we all know it, Mike you will still walk away with plenty of bit in your poke, to the right thing son.

• 6 mickybraham // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:04 PM

@ 1

I do wonder what the odds of Nolan as our next manager. Said it as soon as he took the LO job. I trust him to get the players who don’t care, out of the club as he did as captain last time around.

It would be risky but it was houghton’s first managerial role so maybe Nolan with an experienced assistant could be a possibility. I would certainly give me my patients if it happened

• 7 mickybraham // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:05 PM

give him*

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Martoon
    Give Rafa time of course. I just think time will show that Rafa can’t do much at all with the big spenders of Europe. To me, that suggests a little reappraisal by some of Carver’s tenure. Makro’s already shown how difficult it is to manage a team assembled by Graham Carr and Lee Charnley.

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Martoon
    Also, it’s not as if Pardew didn’t have a history of going on the sort of run that Carver did.

• 10 BeeGuy // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM

What we know is that NUFC will bring in a steady hand to get the team back into the prem and then fire him.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Blaclkley…What is your point (meant in a totally non-agressive way)? That Carver wasn’t as bad as Ed made out or that our issues have little to do with the manager?

As you’ve said before, being “the big spenders of Europe” counts for little at the end of the day. It’s not money he’s had any say with either.

• 12 catchy in norway // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I think the Happy clappers that just go to the match just to be there have to look in the mirror and say they have had there Parton letting the club get to where it is right now,

the club needed action 3or 4 years ago, but fans sat there and we’re happy watching wonder goals, and clapped all the way, this train wreck has been in the cards for a long time now.

you got what you wanted.

the fact that we have Rafa now shows we could have had a good manager a long time ago, if only we pushed for it. but to many said what manager would come here.

fools with no ambition just looking for a reason to get out of the house.

Ed should hang his head in shame too.

• 13 MadisonToon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Lots of moaning from Ed lately. We’re in a tough position, but complaining about the management for four posts a day isn’t helping anything.

If Benitez goes, I’m not sure who we would be able to get in – hopefully an unproven manager with promise but that seems a bit far-fetched for the management.

I do think the necessary number of points is 12. I can see us taking them off Swansea, Palace, Villa and Spurs. Our play on the final day of last season makes me think we might be able to buckle down and get the job done, although we will certainly be leaving the points late as Palace, Villa and Spurs our the final three games of the season. As long as Norwich and the Scum don’t go on runs of form, we should be able to stay up. I’m still keeping the faith.

• 14 hibbitt // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

i honestly believe that charnley and carr’s incompetence has been the main problem at the club for a long time charnleys total lack of any football know how and carr’s inability to source the players we need in the transfer market have lead to major defects in the way the club is run both on the pitch and off it

• 15 SPRINGY // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM

afternoon all
    madison
    like the optimism but there nothing in the performances to say we will any,let alone four games….hope ya right, but im struggling to see it happening mate.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Catchy…I can go along with that to a certain point, however, I don’t think a Benitez type of manager would have been on the cards prior to this.

Completely agree fan pressure should have been kept up though, in whatever form that may have been.

• 17 SPRINGY // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM

hibbitt
    you asked yesterday about how newcastle will recieve a the end of the season…its predicted that if newcastle finish 17th they would recieve roughly about 74m….thats on a website i found yesterday.

• 18 SPRINGY // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM

how much newcastle will recieve#

• 19 SPRINGY // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

dont know how true that is but thats what that estimates

• 20 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:40 PM

This players do not have any stomach nor care about our club anymore. I really wonder from where the optimism from certain posters are coming from? Just look at the relegation 6 pointers against Norwich and the scums.

Not one player cared or turned up. Maybe mitrovic. Rest as well stayed at home.

And the same players who have been putting in abysmal performance for the last 2 seasons are suddenly gonna turn up and get us 12 points?

Hahahahahahahahahah

• 21 martoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM

I’m sorry but I refuse to be blamed for the current state of NUFC because I attend matches especially by people who have never set foot in SJP. Maybe it’s the fault of people who watch the games on dodgy computer streams instead of paying to watch through proper channels and therefore deprive the club of revenue which could have been used towards buying better players?

• 22 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Hibbitt, the club recruitment policy was absolutely thrash. Carr did not source for players that actually fit into the system we play or position we required strengthening.

Every single signing had only one thing in mind. Resale value. Which is why we have so many no. 10s in the club and certain positions lack depth completely.

There was not a single thought in a footballing sense in getting players. It was purely financial. And we are relegated because of that.

• 23 hibbitt // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM

SPRINGY

thanks for that
    that seems like enough money to keep us going for next season without any financial problems till ashley decides what he is going to do with us

• 24 MadisonToon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM

SPRINGY

Doom and gloom can be the way to go if you want, but it certainly won’t help lift the mood around SJP. Rafa gives the team a different look and more time with him will only help – the end of the season might be when the players are finally playing and thinking as he would want them to which could coincide with a good run (and the right opposition to do it against). Cisse, although I am far from a fan, had a couple of good chances and those will go in some days and won’t others – this weekend they didn’t, but he’s in the right places. I see positive signs and a much better leader at the helm.

If McClaren was able to keep us hovering around the relegation line, Benitez, who all agree is a better manager, should be able to keep us above that place and should be able to pickup more points in his 10 matches than SM would have. Therefore, I don’t see a reason to commit to us being relegated yet.

• 25 Jib // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:52 PM

MadisonToon

I thought the same

I just put it down to Dr Harrison’s extreme age

😎

• 26 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:53 PM

martoon…Each and every fan has played their part.

I understand why you don’t like the comments that have been made, however, you’re scenario doesn’t really add up. The stadium is more or less always full.

This isn’t a question of available finances, quite clearly, but the owner and board and their approach to running NUFC. Surely you can see where the match going fans have a big part to play?

• 27 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Done that twice today. I shall be in big trouble.

Your, not you’re.

• 28 Jib // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Curtis Good played for the U21’s against Swansea last night and could be on the fringes of the first team when we play Swansea’s seniors a week on Saturday.

• 29 Munster Mag // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Assuming we go down( and i fear full collapse when guys like sissoko will just down tools once we are mathematically down) i wud take bruce all day long.

• 30 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:12 PM

@munster

I would prefer a young upcoming foreign managermanager. No more English please.

But I don’t know from where they are gonna find a talented manager.

• 31 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM

I don’t think attendance numbers are relevant anymore.

You get badly attended clubs paying their way through the TV money.

Whats Leicesters average attendance this season?

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Jib, didn’t get injured did he?

• 33 martoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Ibiza – fan pressure can make a big difference – I’m pretty sure the abuse Pardew was getting contributed towards him leaving for Palace and also the crowd were starting to turn on McClaren which again I think contributed towards his demise.
    Surely a ground full of disgruntled fans is a more effective protest than an empty ground who’s ST holders have already paid for their tickets?

• 34 Jib // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Essex
    He looked fit and sharp , but Beardsley took him off after he gave a penalty away.
    I don’t know if U21 cards carry through to the EPL .
    😀

• 35 GeordieinOhio // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:30 PM

@martoon,

If a stadium is full of protesting unhappy fans, ashley already has their money… so does he care what they think?

• 36 midweek weekend // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:40 PM

@jib

Curtis good had a very decent spell at Bradford even played the cup final, injuries have set him back but definitely might feature more in the near future I think

• 37 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM

martoon…I didn’t suggest fans stopped going, just that there was more to being a fan to “Well, I turned up, paid my money…I did all I could”, which seems to be the mantra for many.

In fact, just stopping going hasn’t really gotten the club anywhere.

Any unified protest (in or out of the ground) would be better than what we’ve had. Even during the Pardew out protests, many were still bickering over small points.

That was more my point, not what form of action to take.

Essex…The idea is not to hit Ashley in the pocket. As has been said a million times before, the season money has already been paid to the club.

It’s a simple case of standing up for the club imo. Money has little to do with it, although that’s easy for me to say, seeing as I don’t go.

• 38 cyprus // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Big Sam once said if he had the sort of players Madrid (or Barca?) have, he’d win the CL too. We all laughed, but he was making a legit point.

I want to see people like Mourinho, Rafa deal with players like ours. In that way, Rafa hasn’t done too well. Yet. With many coaches, Carver included, we blamed the coach. In Rafa’s case, we blame the players. And everyone else.

Rafa has been deified too quickly is all I was saying. His setup vs. Norwich had serious errors. He played Gini way too back; he didn’t play Mitro from the start. He didn’t adjust the team, or find a balance. Shelvey has been useless, stays on, is captain, FFS. After we scored, he was worse than the AP 7-3. All I’m saying is Rafa isn’t beyond criticism. Ask Real fans.

He takes me down, he shares some blame. There were (are) plenty of points available. He got 1 out of 9. Not CL form that. He turns it around I’ll be the first to light him a candle.

Maximum blame goes to whomever brought in all these expensive people who can’t play. I suspect it’s Carr.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Anyone who employs Keith Bishop cares about public opinion, one way or another.

Especially when that someone doesn’t usually like spending money.

I think if you look back to each time fans have put pressure on the club, something has given way. The issue is we simply revert back to square one each time and relieve the pressure off them.

• 40 cyprus // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Jib, Hibbitt,
    Read your comments from previous post, thanks.

Jib, good use of the Lord’s name 🙂 That’s what I mean re Rafa.

Hibbitt, I am a mad man, not the way you imply! (I hope)

• 41 lesh // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:58 PM

If ever there was a candidate for the sack, it’s Charnley.

Ok, he was MD in name only but in reality, it would appear that he didn’t even alert Ashley to the Club’s plight and recommend major changes. I would appear that Ashley intervened to get Rafa in – albeit far too late and that takes us back to Charnley.

Charnley was MD last season and was content to go with Carver and now it’s his second season as MD and this time relegation looks almost certain.

The Club’s been crying out for a root and branch review of its structure and operations for years and in appointing Charnley as MD the opportunity was missed.

If we drop and Ashley doesn’t make major changes, the Club’s done for as a major player in English football. Would a lower league club need SJP?

• 42 Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Lesh….”But, Ashley may see an opportunity to help the Club and the City’s Freemen by suggesting the Club move out of SJP and he advise them on how to maximise revenue for a prime City centre site.”… At least there’s an exit strategy!

• 43 lochinvar // Apr 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Newcastle Now Paying For Being Worst Run Club In League..

“We are top of that league, we are top of that league “

previous post: Benitez Reported Certain To Leave Newcastle This Summer