The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Didn’t Let Newcastle Down At Norwich

4:03 pm, Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

25 year-old Karl Darlow made his 3rd appearance for the Newcastle first team on Saturday and his second in the Premier League – and Karl did well in what must have been a difficult game for him.

He handled himself extremely well and will be pleased to get what was a good game under his belt – and he’s now set to be in goal for Newcastle in our final seven vital league games of the season.

Norwich City v Newcastle United - Barclays Premier League

Karl Darlow – beaten by late Olsson goal

This is what Karl has said about the remainder of the season:

“I’ve got seven games now to show what I can do and put in some good performances.” “I know I can prepare properly now for the rest of the season in the knowledge that I’ll be playing.”

“It’s nice to be in that position, although it’s obviously terrible circumstances with Rob getting injured, having done so well all season.”  “Anyone taking over from him, it was going to be tough, but I’m going to have to do well.”

“I was a little bit nervous before, but as soon as I got out there I was fine. I made a couple of saves and felt OK.”  “I was beaten by two very good goals. I haven’t seen them back, but then I didn’t really see the second one in the first place either.”

“The third one has ended up in the far corner right at the end.”  “It’s cruel, but that’s football isn’t it? The final goal went through someone’s legs, and it was right inside the post.”

“I’ve got the character for this,” “People seem to forget that I’ve played a fair amount of Championship games.”  “Since I’ve joined the club, it’s kind of been overlooked that I’ve played over 100 games.”

“It’s one of those situations where I know what to do, I just need to get into a run of games and hopefully prove myself.”

Darlow was signed from Nottingham Forest two years ago and then finished his time at Forest with a season long loan deal so this is his first season in the Newcastle first team squad.

He’s got ample experience in the Championship having played 111 times for the Nottingham Forest first team and then another 18 total appearances at Newport County (8) and Walsall (10) on loan from 2011-2013.

His debut for Nottingham Forest was against Crystal Palace, on the last day of the 2010–2011 season, as a substitute for Lee Camp when he was 20 years old.

So with 3 appearances for Newcastle he’s made 132 first team appearances so far in his career, with another seven games to go for Newcastle this season – all being well.

It’s a huge opportunity for the Northampton-born goalkeeper and he seems to know that.

If he can emulate Rob Elliot’s form this season he will have also been outstanding for us.

Hope so.

Tags: Coaching · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Rob Elliot

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 blew // Apr 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM

They cant do it on the field but the players
    know how to talk off it. Yet another mouth-
    piece.

• 2 Goromagpie // Apr 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Think positive guys!!We can come out of this.

• 3 Lindisfarne // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM

catchy in norway // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I would love to see the Happy Clappers and the whole stadium turning up to the last game of the season, having looked at themselves in the mirror and dressed up as Dolly Parton. I don’t know why, but why not?

• 4 Lindisfarne // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM

……probably something to do with being the biggest boobs in the PL.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM

We’re in a tight spot now. We have to win 4 of the last 7 to get to 37 points and give ourselves a decent chance. That’s a win rate of 57%. Our current win rate for 31 matches is 19.4%. Hmmmm.

• 6 GeordieTwo // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM

So all we have to do is triple our win rate. Hmmmm.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM

What is an owner in any case? A natural born pinhead. A man with no football sense whatsoever. A man who loves to hire flunkies. A man for no seasons.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Southampton can be beaten. They lost 2-0 to Bournemouth recently. All we have to do is play as well as Bournemouth in that match. Simple.

• 9 NezzaNUFC // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:31 PM

We should of won against Sunderland but we didn’t we should of won against Norwich but we didn’t!

Two games was a must win!

Sorry but I can’t see Rafa keeping us up, we can maybe and that’s a big if not huge maybe we can get 3 points from Villa but by then we are already down.

Norwich will survive this season whilst the north east teams will go down.

Sunderland
    Newcastle
    Aston Villa

And yes the Scums will finish above us for the final kick in the nuts!

• 10 NezzaNUFC // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Gtwo

Bournemouth have about 99.9% more fight in them than us mate, most now after the Norwich will already see us lost to Southampton even before kick off.

• 11 NezzaNUFC // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM

What bugs me the most is when we relegated it’s hardly going to be on TV etc, etc but I don’t know about the box Kodi though?

Will it be played on there?

• 12 Lindisfarne // Apr 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Stand by your Club,
    Raise two arms and sing too,
    All that’s left to cling to,
    Is going down with Villa and the Scum..

Stand by your Club,
    And show the world you love it.
    Keep giving, all-ll, the love you can.

• 13 Jib // Apr 5, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Dolly Parton

• 14 Jib // Apr 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Nezza
    Sky shows loads of Championship games

• 15 Ian Toon // Apr 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM

The balance of probabilities is that we are going to be relegated.
    Though we have improved under Benitez it’s not been enough for us to win games. Relegation for me is less of an issue than persuading Benitez to stay. Should he, though unlikely, it would mean his root and branch long term project could be undertaken. If not we are left to the wing and a prayer of Mike Ashley’and his total lack of an understanding of football and the appointing of the right people who do.
    Benitez, just like Shearer has a disjointed non-performing squad and limited time to make a real difference. The lack of an unbalanced side with a marked lack of quality defenders is I would suggest in no small measure down to Graham Carr. It’s not a question of being wise after the event or with the benefit of hindsight it’s been blatantly obvious.

Graham Carr for many seasons has been a total disaster whilst it seems has gained more and more influence. Successive managers have coached Carr’s signings. His scouting model should have been ditched a long time ago. Instead he has been focussing for some months on Jorrit Hendrix who is a CB/ Defensive midfielder who plays for PSV. Under who’s instruction it precedes Benitez’s arrival apparently.

previous post: Newcastle Now Paying For Being Worst Run Club In League

next post: Can Newcastle Beat Southampton On Saturday?