The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Charnley’s Bland Message To Fans After Stunning Profits

12:53 pm, Wednesday, April 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

Lee Charnley has spoken – well not exactly spoken – but he’s written something to fans following Newcastle’s release of their financial results for the year through last June 30th.

They are excellent results with the profits after tax being at a massive £32.4M.

Of course most of us are very worried right now that it’s almost certain we will be relegated this season to the Championship so good financial results mean absolutely nothing to the faithful fans – in fact it makes things worse.

Managing Director Lee Charnley – bland message

Here in what the Managing Director has said:

“We appreciate that, at the present time, football results and not financial results are what our supporters want to see from us.”

“That said, it would be wrong for the Club not to acknowledge the submission of our accounts for the period July 2014 to June 2015.”

“We understand, however, that what you want to see are results on the pitch. There are still 21 points to play for and lots can, and likely will, happen over the next seven games.”

“We, of course, acknowledge the seriousness of our situation. However we must remain positive and retain the belief that we can secure our Premier League status and we are doing everything we can to support Rafa and the team.”

While I could blast the incompetence of the Board, that’s all I seem to be doing these days, so I’ll refrain from doing that.

We need to support Rafa Benitez and the players 100% – and hope he can somehow achieve a miracle in these final seven games.

Comments welcome

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Balance sheet champions for the 10th year running then …..

• 2 FrankfurtMag // Apr 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM

I love a profit record, I do. It beats a Beardo and Cole for sure. I put it on a par with a Shearer and Ferdi.

Howay the profits!

• 3 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Imagine how much Newcastle will gain when relegated?

A lot of first team players will be gone and probably double there valuation when bought!

It’s a win win for Lee whilst we are the one’s who suffer!

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Well the fat man has proved a profit can be made out of a football club alveit at the cost of its sporting identity. All hail Mike Ashley lets chip in for a brinze statue. I would gladly mind if the fat greedy fcuker was entombed in it.

• 5 Ron Knee // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Pass the sick bag.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Is he going to lend us more money to get out the Championship, he’s in a tight spot now. If he doesn’t put money in he has to have a huge clear out. If he does that he’s left with a pitiful U21 squad languishing third bottom of the second division. How will he go about getting his money back if he puts in another 50M. There’s going to be some interesting times ahead. Will be good watching him squirm just a shame that it’s the club and fans that have to suffer the most.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM

I winder if Mikey flew in to celebrate the win.

• 8 WWSBRD // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Think ur a bit wide of the mark there bud, we go down Newcastle will gain nothing

Lee is praying we stay up much like the rest of us because by all accounts he had no plan in place for relegation which will likely mean fire sale not auction

• 9 WWSBRD // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Tbf looking at the squad I won’t be too upset by any of them leaving regardless of what league we are in next season

• 10 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM

I wonder when the club will seriously look at planning for relegation ?! Who is going to scout the players that we need for that division ?

As far as I can see near enough every team in the top league has organised their pre season but we dont seem to have any tournaments booked ?

• 11 barkel // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM

if we’re playing championship next year I would imagine the following players would be trying for moves

• 12 hibbitt // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM

anyone who can be sold will be sold relegation will throw a spanner in the works with this profits melarkey ….charnley will not be so smug in future

• 13 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Out of that lot I would only want to keep Krul , Mbemba, Perez , Mitro and possibly SDJ and Wini depending on fitness and attitude levels

The rest can all go for me

• 14 Lindisfarne // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I doubt a celebration in a brewery is not on the cards, but not for the lack of league points.

• 15 WWSBRD // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Keep Gini? Why? One of the most disappointing signs we’ve made for years

• 16 Lindisfarne // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM

# double negative.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM

None of us know what will happen if we go down and I doubt very much if the goons running the show do either. The last time he literally tried to sell everyone and realised he couldn’t so put in 50M to pay them all. I’m not sure if he’s prepared to do the same again.

• 18 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM

@Jail for Ashley

So do you think we will be starting a new five year plan when we go down then?

Would not surprise me if Colocinni or Beardsley are the new head coach come next season

• 19 manxpie // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Gini has been lost since he was moved from being out on the left in fact I don’t think he’s scored since
    De Jong surely must get a chance now front four of

Gini———–De jong——–town send

Sisko as an impact sub

• 20 WWSBRD // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Where do the club go if he won’t put money in again though? The club ‘owes’ Ashley about as much as it’s worth at this point and we don’t actually have that much to sell, asset stripping has already started he just hasn’t got the buyer yet, players values won’t be high anymore, youth set up is incredibly bad so we can’t afford to rely on them and sell the entire first team

I don’t see where his other option is

• 21 Graeme // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Jail – Unfortunately the Rotund one is between a rock and a hard place, both of his own making!!

He either stumps up the money to get us out of the Championship or he kisses goodbye any chance of getting his loan repaid.

I guess he could always hold Penfold and the Board responsible and recoup his money from their performance bonuses!!!!

• 22 toon kk // Apr 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM

From previous thread,
    You dangerously starting to sound pessimistic mate. !!!!!!
    But tbh I’ve said that all season, we just can’t be motivated, lack quality and for what ever reason even our best player’s aren’t giving 100%.
    Unfortunately we will go down, one man (Rafa) for all he has class experience is just to little to late.

• 23 posada // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM

We are due to get 80 million from the Prem League shortly in addition to these figures.
    Interesting. That’s the exact amount this self supporting net work of fools spent in January, in a pathetic last attempt to save themselves.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM

I think Cathro will be the manager next season.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM

The most frustrating thing about the whole thing is like the season we finished fifth there was money there to buy more than just Anita and last summer there was funds there to hire a top manager but they went for the cheap unambitious option which has cost us dearly.

• 26 LGFUAD21 // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM

You might be on to something.
    With the books now well in order. Even if we get relegated we’ll be worth more than last time based on potential.

I dont think the relegation will hit us drastically financially like some have suggested. Providing we can get value for players.

We will have parachute payments of £25m about £30m in cash reserves (if I’m reading the accounts correctly) and through the sale of:

Other deadwood

We can raise about £60m in cash.

In total thats about £95m.

That should easily be enough to build a great Championship side…..oh wait we’re run by Charnley……

Here’s what’ll happen…

We’ll get relegated we’ll bring Sammy back and appoint Agent Bruce.

• 27 hibbitt // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Jail for Ashley

not sure he is up to it !!

• 28 LGFUAD21 // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Jail for Ashley

Everyone knows you dont bulk up your squad for Europa. But you should always be looking to improve it.

Even if since that season we only replaced leavers adequately and added 2 £10m solid signings per window we’d have been in a better state.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:16 PM

He really is mind. Does he stick or twist, a firesale and selling us for 60/ 80M might bring him 120M is in leaving a loss of around 140M over nine years.

• 30 Graeme // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Jail, Hopefully, he is going to realise that his best option is to give whatever it takes to keep Rafa in charge. Penfold can be a Clerk, Carr can be a Scout and Moncur can go back to “Glad-handing” in the posh seats.

Everything related to “Football” becomes Rafa’s remit. Penfold organises what Rafa wants and needs, to the best of his ability.

If Rafa dictates who comes, who goes – from First Team to Under 12’s, including Coaching Staff, we will come back as a far, far better equipped club than we are today.

FCB would see the Club Value rocket and he should then bail out with most of his investment back.

• 31 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM

My point exactly mate, Newcastle will have a lot off £ for the Championship and probably why this isn’t bothering me if we get relegated.

I’ve said a few times the Championship could be what we need to build a fantastic young squad with a young hungry manager.

• 32 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Whatever happens I hope the club now realise their arrogant stance and stupid policies have not worked so it should be now time to rip up the blue print and actually look at how other better run clubs who have a lot less resources than we have had !!

Imagine Southampton had spent 120 million in the last 2 seasons under Koeman with only really selling one star player (Cabaye!) they would have won the league this season already!

• 33 toon kk // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:43 PM

MA won’t sell up when we’re relegated. He’ll want us back up, he’s not a quitter.
    Whether the board have enough off to bring in the correct players and a manager good enough to motivate a club which has a cancer within remains to be seen.

• 34 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:43 PM

In the mean time I think Newcastle need to off load every player except

But no doubt we will keep

And other reserves

• 35 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Championship team:

Cathro manager.

Probably finish around 13th.

• 36 Toonces // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I think some of the drop off in Wijnaldum’s form, especially in the second half of the season, can be partly attributed to coming in from a league that takes a true winter break. It seems several players that come in to the PL from the continent have a drop off in performance after Christmas during their first season or two. Also why you need a core of dependable proven premier league players to provide consistency.

Wijnaldum is not a poor player. At the start of the season Mourinho commented on top class players at clubs where they wouldn’t normally have signed. Wijnaldum was an example he specifically mentioned (Max Gradel at Bournemouth another). I think he is a good player who is playing poorly, just as much of the team is doing.

I certainly expected more from Wijnaldum and I think the Ashley culture within the club has sucked him in to its black hole. I was hoping he would be a player who could help improve the culture in the clubhouse but with retaining want-away Colo as captain, having the failed, uncharismatic McClaren as manager, the dithering board of directors, surprising lack of accountability within the club from top to bottom, has Ashley’ed Wijnaldum and so many others.

• 37 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Actually, watch us re-sign Mcclaren. That wouldn’t be surprising.

• 38 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Young magpie why spoil it with a 4231 formation lol

• 39 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Actually wouldn’t surprise me if the club moved for Pardew once he has been sacked by Palace at the end of the season…..

• 40 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM

It’s a myth mate on that aspect of continent players!

It’s been an excuse for many years but I don’t see WHU, Southampton, Man City etc, etc complain!

• 41 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM

A 433 formation with the front 4 rotating :

Mitrovic CF
    Armstrong no 10/striker
    Perez LF
    Townsend RF

I think with the right coaching that front line would blitz the championship with Shelvey providing the passes behind them

• 42 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Lol, I don’t think it’s the formation that spoils it.

• 43 Toonces // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Nezza. I would add Mbemba in there also. He’s another player who is settling into English football this year. He was a highly rated defender in Europe before coming to us. He has class, is young and will get better.

I’d also like to keep Wijnaldum but we might have to loan him upwards and hope for the return bounce straight back to the PL.

• 44 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM

If anything I think once Rafa jets off Cathro might be the one to take over.

Benitez kept him here for a reason and to have a philosophy like I said many times on here that he has the same style as Pep and only being 28/29 offers stability.

• 45 Toonces // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Nezza.. I think Man City and other “top clubs” have an experienced core to their squad to balance that out and also a lot of depth. They wouldn’t need to have a Wijnaldum play 90mins every game of the season. Southampton and WHU didn’t have restrictions to only buy young players with sell on value whose lack of experience may hold them back from adapting quickly. They have a mix of experience and youth to balance that – and both have good academies to bring up their youth from within.

• 46 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM

I personally think that Newcastle won’t just bounce back up from the Championship this time, it may take 2/3 years to sort out this squad from top to bottom starting with

Carr and Lee getting the sack.

Beardsley and Co gettimg the sack.

Fringe players sold or released asap

Players sold or loaned out with a high purchase on their heads.

Then it’s simply getting new staff in with a new manager or Cathro with his own staff in then get the players in.

• 47 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Oh boy would that rile the fans, worst thing is Pardew would decline. Then we would have in our history Pardew and Mcclaren declining us. We have fallen very low.

• 48 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Aye true mate and I only hope Newcastle can follow in Southampton footsteps.

Saying that though didn’t Lee come out and said Newcastle follow Southampton? I could be wrong though.

• 49 NezzaNUFC // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Young & Lee

Thanks guys I won’t sleep all week now thinking McClaren as manager and Pardew as assistant lol

Bastards lol

• 50 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:15 PM

No one owes Ashley money!!!!

It’s his club and his money all of it.

It really winds me up when he’s made out to be an altruistic nice father figure by some.

• 51 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM

I seldom say the team I’d like to see playing but for Saturday:-
    Anita Shelvey
    Townsend-De Jong-Perez
    Think this would be better defensively

• 52 Moonraker15 // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:25 PM

If by some miracle we are only 3 or 4 points behind Norwich on Saturday night we will stay up! HWTL

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM

I’ve got tickets for the Swans game, pretty drab affair if we get beat a Soton.

• 54 Toonces // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Nezza. I agree. Southampton should by and large be the role model for how clubs should be run – from academy to the board room, having learned from the mistakes of their own relegation/promotion and the value of a good youth development program.

I never understood why Ashley thought he could create his own “football board model” and implement it at a struggling club, without that board being populated by top class football people. Why wouldn’t you look to a Southampton and emulate their model?

• 55 anthc // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM

I’ll have what moonraker is drinking!
    We’re down and deserve it although I hope you’re right!

• 56 Mag52 // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM

You seem reasonably confident that Rafa could decide to stay on if we go down.
    I wish I were confident he will stay if we happen to avoid relegation.
    Having had first hand experience of the people he’ll have to deal with for a whole season, and having heard what Ash had to say about the money all spent, and with del Bosque talking him up as manager of the Spanish national side after the Euros, I can’t believe the idea of staying at a struggling NUFC will appeal to the guy.

• 57 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 6, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Looking at the figures, a turnover of £129m and wages 50% of turnover, with the signings made since June 2015, I think £75m current day wage bill is about right. Also spending £80m with “nothing left in the bank” seems legit. £48m cash at year ending June 2015, looks like we’ve spent the profits expected from this season in advance along with that £48m cash – what a waste!

Colo – £1m – £3.5m pa
    Saylor – released – £2m pa
    Janmaat – £7m – £2m pa
    Haidara – £2m – £1m pa
    Tiote – £3m – £2m pa
    Anita – £3m – £1.5m pa
    SDj – £3m – £2m pa
    Sissoko – £10m – £1m pa
    Obertan – released – £1m pa
    Gini – £15m – £2.5m pa
    Gouffran – £1m – £1.5m pa
    Marveaux – released – £2m pa
    Cisse – £3-5m – £2m pa
    Riviere – Kitkat – £1m pa
    Perez – £12m – £2m pa (new contract recently)

Those I think are certain to leave and realistic evaluations. There won’t be any mega fees for the likes of Sissoko and Gini, their stock has dropped drastically. Some of the wages estimated are more informed than others, but none will be far off in either direction.

Wage bill sitting at around £50m and we’d still have the likes of, Townsend, Mitrovic and Mbemba.

Think our wages sat around that level last time in the Championship, if not more, but was there even parachute payments around then? If so they weren’t anywhere near as generous as nowadays at £25m for the first year – will get more difficult to bounce back as those dry up.

Around £60m in fees brought in should be enough to absorb any new wages and provide £40m for a rebuild which most crucially needs to be put in the right hands – the manager’s – whoever that may be.

Would be left with a very young squad:

Elliot, Saivet, Sammy then need 8-10 signings.

For starters 2 new fullbacks, allow Dummet to finally begin to concentrate on becoming a decent CB.

Really can’t fathom whether Townsend and Shelvey would stay. Both fringe England players who will have other options, but both making better noises than most and seem more committed to the cause than most, plus Shelvey being given captaincy and no international tournament summer 2017. Hmmm.

• 58 beefman13 // Apr 6, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Rafa has gone heavy on experienced players since he came in, one point out of nine is an awful return, thing is he dosnt have much choice does he, its not like he is leaving some young star out is it, our team that gets put out on a Saturday is a much of a muchness whoever he plays, having watched most of them over the previous three seasons, literally crumble at the end of each season in the same sort of way, its hard to get any hopes up at this moment in time, will our luck change, i hope it does and fast because even though in my opinion we dont deserve that much, the bit that we do may just keep us safe.

previous post: Financial Results Show Newcastle Make Healthy Profit