The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sky Sports Pundit Predicts Southampton vs Newcastle

4:46 pm, Thursday, April 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

Paul Merson was right in getting the Norwich vs Newcastle result right last week when he predicted a 2-1 win for the Canaries – so he didn’t get the score right.

Let’s hope he ‘s not correct on Saturday either when he predicts a 3-1 win for Southampton against Newcastle at St. Mary’s and Paul says if Norwich beat Crystal Palace that could be it for us – and we’ll be relegated.

If that happens we will be 9 points behind Norwich with a game in hand but an inferior goal difference – with 6 games still to play.

Paul predicts a 2-1 home win for Crystal Palace.

paul merson

Paul Merson – predicts another Newcastle defeat
It’s no laughing matter

This is what Paul has said on Sky Sports about Saturday’s game.

“Newcastle have to start winning football matches. They have to have an eye on the Crystal Palace versus Norwich game because if Norwich win, they have to pick up three points.”

“If they lose and Norwich win, I think that’s it. It’s goodnight for the Magpies. I watched Newcastle the other week and they’ve got some good players, but they aren’t a team.”

Prediction: 3-1

Our fans are not too confident of a result either.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Prediction · Premier League · Press · Pundit

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 geordie157 // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:00 PM

norwich will beat palace

• 2 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Got some good players but they aren’t a team. That’s it really. Not a team. Just a collection of mismatched individuals who would go to other teams and play quite well. But the way they’ve been assembled in one side has been negligently assessed. Not even thought of probably. Just purchased on individual merit.

• 3 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:33 PM

I see Ibiza been whipping a hornets nest with a big stick on the subject of loyal fans supporting the club that is betraying them. it’s a sore Subject. I feel sorry for the loyal match going support especially the diehard away following. They have the desire and affection for the club, but it’s not just that it’s not reciprocated, the whole arrangement has been unilaterally withdrawn by Ashleys restructuring of the club. He continues to send out the email blurbs and sell the strips and scarves and bang the ‘Toon’ and ‘Magpie’ drum but the business of Nufc is so far removed from our cup winning days it’s virtually non existent. it’s a one way Street now, the ‘club’ as it is now is a completely cynical and wholly exploitable commerce with no loyalty or responsibility to it’s customers save from keeping them within reach of emptying their pockets. You have to feel desperately sorry for the fans who stick with the club through thick and thin, because they are loyal to something that has long since lost any love it had for them.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Tsunki…To be honest, I don’t think that was the topic at all. We were simply talking about Ashley. Not whether fans should still be attending or such.

Betty has quoted me as saying something, which I do believe was said by someone else.

Anyway, I would have hoped that most know that whilst I do have my views of Ashley and want fans should do, more than that, I have always wanted for fans to try and find middle ground. A united fan base only makes us stronger, which surely is a good thing.

Anyway…don’t let that get in the way of your post good sir.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Here you go Betty.

catchy in norway // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I think the Happy clappers that just go to the match just to be there have to look in the mirror and say they have had there Parton letting the club get to where it is right now,

the club needed action 3or 4 years ago, but fans sat there and we’re happy watching wonder goals, and clapped all the way, this train wreck has been in the cards for a long time now.

you got what you wanted.

the fact that we have Rafa now shows we could have had a good manager a long time ago, if only we pushed for it. but to many said what manager would come here.

fools with no ambition just looking for a reason to get out of the house.

Ed should hang his head in shame too.

Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Catchy…I can go along with that to a certain point, however, I don’t think a Benitez type of manager would have been on the cards prior to this.

Completely agree fan pressure should have been kept up though, in whatever form that may have been.

martoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM

I’m sorry but I refuse to be blamed for the current state of NUFC because I attend matches especially by people who have never set foot in SJP. Maybe it’s the fault of people who watch the games on dodgy computer streams instead of paying to watch through proper channels and therefore deprive the club of revenue which could have been used towards buying better players?

Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 2:53 PM

martoon…Each and every fan has played their part.

I understand why you don’t like the comments that have been made, however, you’re scenario doesn’t really add up. The stadium is more or less always full.

This isn’t a question of available finances, quite clearly, but the owner and board and their approach to running NUFC. Surely you can see where the match going fans have a big part to play?

martoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Ibiza – fan pressure can make a big difference – I’m pretty sure the abuse Pardew was getting contributed towards him leaving for Palace and also the crowd were starting to turn on McClaren which again I think contributed towards his demise.
    Surely a ground full of disgruntled fans is a more effective protest than an empty ground who’s ST holders have already paid for their tickets?

Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM

martoon…I didn’t suggest fans stopped going, just that there was more to being a fan to “Well, I turned up, paid my money…I did all I could”, which seems to be the mantra for many.

In fact, just stopping going hasn’t really gotten the club anywhere.

Any unified protest (in or out of the ground) would be better than what we’ve had. Even during the Pardew out protests, many were still bickering over small points.

That was more my point, not what form of action to take.

Ibizatoon // Apr 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Anyone who employs Keith Bishop cares about public opinion, one way or another.

Especially when that someone doesn’t usually like spending money.

I think if you look back to each time fans have put pressure on the club, something has given way. The issue is we simply revert back to square one each time and relieve the pressure off them.

BobbyBee then commented at 8.32pm, Betty. Over 4 hours later. That’d probably be the reason I didn’t respond, I wasn’t there and didn’t see it. Nor was it addressed to me.

Now, what are these comments I made a few weeks back Betty and do let me in on this “agenda”?

• 6 LGFUAD21 // Apr 7, 2016 at 5:58 PM

To be honest.

I normally try and stay positive but I think we are already down.

I think Norwich have the momentum to stay safe so our best bet is to pick up some shocking wins and leapfrog Palace.

• 7 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Hmm. I may have been selectively reading the final exchanges Ibiza but it seems that while it wasn’t the main thrust if the thread, it certainly looks from the exchange that it was the temperature of the thread. Anyway it was a lighthearted reference, instantly put to one side by my own musings on the subject of fans who unfailingly pursue a loyalty to a club which has little respect for them apart from their wallets.

It is in the power of those fans to demand a bit more respect for their loyalty though. Just having 52k showing up and cheering as the club descends to the pit under the guidance of an owner who washes his hands of the effects of his policy toward the club (“I’m only the owner for the last decade, I haven’t a clue what’s happening”) surely isn’t a great way to demand a better product is it?

• 8 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM

But hey, no doubt like last time we will have a full ground every other week in the championship. When Mike reins in the player spending, sets his sights on us being perennial championship playoff challengers and budgets accordingly, maybe he’ll make a comfortable home for us there?

• 9 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Tsunki…Todays posts had nothing to do with that subject, until Betty mentioned it.

I’ve only posted them to clarify that I made no “happy clappers” comment the other day.

Yes, the temperature of the thread, the other day, was certainly that topic. Is that the conversation you were referring to @3? If so, I have no objections 🙂

The thing that turned me against Ashley in the first place was the treatment of said loyal fans. It’s also because of that treatment why I find it hard to believe times are changing, without a bit of proof.

This is more a hang up from my comments made last Spring, which Betty didn’t object to one bit at the time.

• 10 mindshaft // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM

not sure why people blame the fans for turning up … they make an ever smaller percentage of revenue anyway – plenty prem teams play to 3/4 full stadiums including man city if they’re on tv

the blame is squarely on Carr and Charnley for spunking 84 million quid on players who can’t play as a team

• 11 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM

I’m not blaming fans for turning up. I’m blaming Ashleys cynical reconfiguring of a proper club into a tat flogging money funnel and ripping off those well intentioned, faithful and hopeful supporters.

But if those supporters continue to stump up knowingly while this continues down a well signposted road, there has to be a diminishing amount of sympathy for those who continue to put up with it season after season without complaint.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:23 PM

mindshaft…2 points and then I am off.

The blame cannot be put just down to that, as this isn’t a problem just from this season. It’s historic, before we started spending such sums of money. It’s just even more pathetic now.

As has been said before, it isn’t really a question of hitting him financially. The match attending fans are important. Not just to support the team, but in letting the board / owner know what’s what. It’s common sense. Punters keep turning up, punters don’t object, there’s no problem.

• 13 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Not seeking to question or agree with Ashley’s “wasn’t me Guv” stance at all as some have but as a long suffering fan ( since the late 60’s) I honestly struggle to recall when “my Club” treated me with any love or respect whatsoever. It just isn’t that relationship. Is he worse than some of the others? yes but probably not all.

Any poster thinking we have had any halcyon days when “the Club” did things solely for it’s fans is looking back with severely rose-tinted glasses and a heart breaking score played by a string quartet for accompaniment. Supporting your football club is rarely a reciprocal deal anywhere in UK but it is what it is.

• 14 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Tbf when p45 was our yes man he did as well as anyone else could have managed with the players he had. Shows how deluded some fans were thinking we could be in Europe with the right manager. People call MA but loads of people were happy with the new signings and had us as a top eight side. WHY? I’m not so sure, no proven striker and basically the same defence what did people expect?
    Yes Macca was a ridiculous decision but our worst decision was failing to strengthen our weaknesses, that’s why we’re going down.

• 15 welshgeordie9 // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM

So the first thing that comes out of Paul Mersons mouth is that Newcastle needs to Start winning games.

Ha ha ha

No shit sherlock.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM

One good decision in what has otherwise been a shambles for the last 3 seasons. Hire Rafa with 10 games left and pray. That’s Charnley’s method. Any other club would have sacked Charnley after last season. We limp along but with no real leadership and vision except if we can hold on to Rafa. Will relegation result in positive change? We will only know if it happens. If it doesn’t happen and we hang on to Rafa it could be brilliant. But it all comes down to the last 7 games and whether or not we can raise our game.

• 17 Our Toon // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Toon KK

Agree to an extent with what you say about the squad but it’s been mismanaged throughout, McClaren was a shocking choice simple as that. I wanted to give him a go and get behind the team but pleased I don’t attend games to vindicate this know heads reign as owner. Some say he can what he wants as he owns it….my views are we let him do what he wants because we are daft enough to believe the shite they feed us!! Liverpool fans walked out and the club changed its policy on tickets….our lot go and moan off the pitch!! We have no backbone!! Each to there own though

• 18 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Spot on Our Toon @17. A walkout early on this season and reduced attendance would have gotten action with a lot more than 10 games left. Charnley is an absoluted dunce. Get him out of there Ashley and let Rafa run it all.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Apr 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM

magscar,
    As a staunch Ashley supporter is that all you’ve got left to hang on to, that things have never been rosy?

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:01 PM

toon kk,
    Not sure if deluded is the right word but they were very much mistaken that’s for sure!

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM

I think palace will win this weekend.

• 22 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:05 PM

A crowd turning cannot be orchestrated simply though Blogs or fanzines.

When I used to go regularly I bought the Mag every fortnight from the sellers round the ground. Of those I was with (usually 4-5) no one else bought a copy nor wished to read mine. They had their own personally formed views and cared less about some ponce writing about their take on NUFC in a juvenile magazine. A small sample of opinion but a telling one I feel. All but 1 of those have since stopped going at different times and for different reasons. All still support from a distance.

I have no quarrel with fans turning up ( and agree with Bobbybee and Martoon) but it should not be forgotten that they are made up of a myriad of human beings. They differ in age, sex, race, culture, politics, music tastes ….. ( fill in the blanks). What the majority have in harmony is a love for their club but with a different perspective of what the accepted responsibility of being a fan means to them personally.

Over the years I have gone I have seen many who struggle to publicly show their emotions ( even at Barcelona or Man U 5-0) or sing when we are ahead or go behind , call out against ref , opposition, the board etc. I do not blame their reticence for the problems at my club.

A crowd is a an untamed beast ( I can personally verify that from trying to extricate myself and son from the crush of an overcrowded away end at Grimsby in the 90’s whilst police looked on from stairs above). At home it is more varied than away but as witnessed by McClaren against Bournemouth it can turn almost as one when the time is right ( or wrong!) and make a telling contribution for change.

That is why I applaud those who continue to go and give their support to THEIR club and not to Ashley just as I did but not then supporting McKeag etc. onwards.

It is a difficult concept for some to accept I know but those fans who still choose to go are not sheep ( if they were they could be lead by the shepherds on here!) but have their own line drawn in the sand and that is their right.

• 23 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Our toon
    Macca was a massive mistake, same with Carver. But the only one thing I’ll say in their defence is they tried in there own unexperienced ways to give the fans what they thought they wanted, some kind of attacking football, but our squad lacks so much quality in defence and has very little cutting edge it was destined for failure.
    I honestly think what I suppose we all know if Rafa had been appointed before the January transfer window and we had strengthened our defence at least we may have just survived.

• 24 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Jfa

Read my posts over the months I am not an Ashley supporter ( sick of saying it) just not a hater. I don’t blame him for everything that is wrong at the club.

He will go when he wants and I am yet to see any realistic way of hastening that other than perhaps a concerted campaign against SD (ala Rangers) but that would be as equally hard to orchestrate on an ongoing basis as a stadium walk out.

I am simply reminding folk that the club/Board never loved them – just loved taking their money and always will. It’s the entertainment business to them and a major part of their lives to the fans.

Prove me wrong and name the Board here that didn’t just do that

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:21 PM

magscar,
    You are dead right, it’s an entertainment business and Mike Ashley has took out the entertainment bit. Deliberately aiming to exit cup competitions at the first hurdle is a crime against football. Who is to blame for our fourth relegation battle in nine years.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM

toon kk,
    They did not try to give the fans what they wanted one little bit. They brought in a cheap, failed and sacked lower league manager to finish between 10 and fifteenth. Where did you get the good football bit from?

• 27 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM

In the words of the Daily Telegraph Peter Simple character of many years ago.

“WE ARE ALL GUILTY”

• 28 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:33 PM

JFA
    It is an entertainment business, that’s very true but MA knows he can basically do what he likes. He only put his hand in his pocket to TRY and save us, otherwise he would happily get some lads off the street if he thought they’d keep us up.
    One thing for cirtain though SJP would still be full. Fans have sat and watched dross for a long time but many still think we have a good side.
    Quite funny really. It wouldn’t happen at any other club.

• 29 hate // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM

We were relegated last summer, when the board appointer Steve McClaren as the new head coach / manager.

I respect Rafa, but he went for the big money without risking his reputation – he didn’t get us into this deep hole we are in right now.

Time to face the truth, we are a Championship quality club right now.

• 30 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:39 PM

JFA
    I didn’t say they did give the fans what they wanted, they tried but failed.
    But it didn’t stop people turning up in there thousands to watch the sh.t on show, not forgetting they payed for the privilege.

• 31 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Jfa

Ashley is to blame because he has said so on at least 2 occasions. The buck stops with him.

So as a natural conclusion to that you are thinking he will sack himself. I don’t as he is a businessman and as all others is in business for profits first and not altruistic reasons. He will sell when he feels it is the right time to do so. He also has alternatives to selling.

However it is entirely feasible in my view that his public withdrawal from the Board last Summer but followed with the right input into appointing a new manager and recruitment of players and £80M spent could have lead to us being at least mid-table. In those circumstance I find Charnley and Carr guilty.

You may believe otherwise but that is all it is – yours and my opinions and there is no empirical proof either way.

• 32 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Magscar….Sackings by Mike?

Looks like he’s been turning down resignations.

• 33 Our Toon // Apr 7, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Toon KK

They didn’t give the fans what they wanted, think most were excited at the prospect of Vieira but McClaren was not what most fans asked for. As for attacking football…..really? He set up most games with 2 holding midfielders, home and away. Rafa is supposed to be defensive but when things go tits up he actually tries to change it to go attacking. McClaren was a failed man who was next in line to be yes man…..they’ve realised the mistake but have acted far to late.

Magscar – defeatist attitude like he’ll go when he wants is why we are in the mess. Instead of being proactive wed rather sit back and be dunces and not act all. One thing is for sure…. this let’s not do nothing and sit back has done sweet FA so far hasn’t it, one thing I can guarantee is if it continues it still won’t work, you’ll remain wondering why the fat twat isn’t shifting but you’ll also be accepting of the fact you can’t do nothing as you haven’t tried to do anything else!!

I have no issues with those that want to attend games, I have an issue with those who have no backbone and say we can’t do anything or he will go when he wants…..Try something different and if it fails keep trying until it works….or you can sit back, clap, cheer, berate and moan but actually do nothing at all to make a contribution towards change!!

• 34 firebug666 // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Ibiza @32

Ashley does not intend to put the club up for sale? Never good reading this. lol

How are things?

• 35 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM

firebug…I’m sure we’re all aware that sometimes, what you intend, isn’t what transpires. Life is funny that way. And people say I’m not optimistic anymore!

Things, outside of Newcastle United, are splendid, thank you. How about in the Bug household?

• 36 Jib // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:06 PM

He’s wearing a Wonga shirt !!!

• 37 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Very well written post magscar @22.

• 38 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM

IBiza

As you say ” looks” .

There is no surprise to me in the main thrust of the article as this is what I believe happens at the end of every season ( and presumably as at every club). One of the most reported ones was the one which ended with Kinnear coming in as DOF .

I recall reading somewhere that Llambias Pardew Carr etc had come up with their versions of what had gone wrong at the end of that particular season and Ashley didn’t know who or what to believe. Kinnear offered or was sought out as a totally independent voice to the lot of them to oversee and report direct to Ashley on the following season. The appointment (amongst loads of other grief!) lead to Llambias resigning and Carr wanting to go but being persuaded by Ashley personally to stay as Kinnear would not interfere on transfers.

As to now I don’t think there was a need for Ashley to seek the resignation of anyone (other than McClaren) at that stage as it would not positively affect anything to do with ongoing relegation problems. Carr if he did offer to go may have done so because he felt (once again) his position threatened by the arrival of Benitez – which it was and will be if he does stay ( and I personally hope even if A N Other comes in)

• 39 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Thank you G2 – from the heart as you probably gathered

• 40 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:10 PM

I and several others asked on here what would happen with McLaren if we got off to a bad start? Would anything be done about it? Well we got our answer. The usual hiding and cowardice from the executive. They could have changed things and made sure the club didn’t have to go through this again but they couldn’t deal with the truth.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM

One thing is for certain. There is nowhere for Ashley to hide anymore. He made the choices of executive staff. He backed them when it was clear they were incompetent. He will lose money on the club and I’m very happy with that. If he ran SD like he runs Newcastle United he would be a pauper by now.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM

This is what comes, Magscar, when a man who admits he’s had “zero impact” in nine years puts himself in charge of reviews.

• 43 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Our Toon@33

You say defeatest I say realist.

I have said many times that in my young days I bloodied my head on many walls seeking change at my club under different regimes. I never yet got anything but a headache.

You convince me how to galvanise 52000 myriad souls into a concerted protest movement and I will applaud and support you. Carry on trying with your own protests but don’t blame those who have failed before for being more than a little realistic and doubtful.

• 44 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:15 PM

G2…What do you mean, “if he ran SD like he runs Newcastle United”? He does.

Both make money. The quality of the product is second, that might be me being generous.

• 45 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Our Toon
    MA probably thought he was giving the fans what they wanted by appointing yes men from the North East. Everyone knows how he runs our club. Rafa is just like Shearer last time, a after thought hope for a quick fix.
    But that was not what I meant, I said Macca and Carver tried but because they were useless failed.

• 46 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM

If we end up playing in the Championship I’ll be happy to tear Ashley a new one each and every week.

• 47 firebug666 // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Ibiza

Things are going tickety boo here mate thank you, The wife is still away so freedom reigns.

Ashley will not sell because even in the lower leagues he can make money from the club. I personally think the man is cursed, everything that could go wrong for him seems to have this year. Make our own luck? Not with this man as an owner.

• 48 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:20 PM

The gold mine that was Newcastle United with the Premier League TV contract is nearing an end Ibiza mate. The profits will disappear as soon as (and if!) we get relegated. But with SD there is always a huge throng to buy the rags. I hope Ashley gives up and sells. I don’t think it will happen but I hope it does. He’s truly pathetic.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM

firebug…Still? Is there something you’re not telling us? 🙂

I’m not sure I’d say he “will not” sell. If it makes sense to him, of course he would. I think he still has other plans for now though.

• 50 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Ibiza@42

I believe that if Ashley could find a truly competent Football man in whom he could confide and trust we could be better than we have been to date even with him here.

Why he hasn’t may depend on how you view his tenure as anywhere from a careless incompetent to a business man out to get those fans who called him last time. I have seen various arguments rehearsed on here and am none the wiser.

Bishop isn’t likely to have a little black book with some suitable candiadtes in it and there is no good asking current board for any suggestions so where does he go? I understand Beardsley is quite popular with him 😉

• 51 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM

I wonder how Ashley will handle the review of his own incompetence? Here’s Mike filling out his own form:
    Question: Have you been a good owner for the club, with only success in mind?
    Mike: Hmmmm. I can definitely give that a big thumbs up. My honesty and integrity can never be questioned.
    Question: Have you always made every attempt to hire the right people to run things? Experienced men (or women) with recent positions in top clubs and a clear vision for the team?
    Mike: That’s a definite yes as well. I must say this is going swimmingly so far! Huzzah!!!

• 52 firebug666 // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Ibiza

She went for 50 days mate, to look after her mum. We talk every day, or rather she talks and I listen. lol.

Ashley’s plans for us are his alone as I doubt anyone could second guess the man’s intentions, but while there is an option of making money from us he will stay, One thing is for certain mate, he won’t stay for the love of the club.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Beardsley’s nose is astonishingly brown these days magscar mate. He had better be careful or he’ll get it permanently lodged up there…

• 54 midweek weekend // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM

a truly defining moment in our is season is when we still stuck with mmclaren and went away to spain for 3 weeks, he should of been sacked before and the new manager could of had time to work with the squad, but truth is the whole judge me after 12 games rubbish, well yes we should of judged him useless and sacked then but we didn’t and we are simply paying the price for it, if we changed manager after 12 games we would no doubt be in this position.

my personally opinion albeit defeatist i think we are down already, a win is needed at Southampton anything else confirms it

• 55 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Firebug…That love word is getting used a lot on here today. Is there anyone out there who has said they expect Mike to love the club, or it’s fans? Showing a little respect to either would be a start 🙂

Some of the plans aren’t so secret. It’s just not cool to talk about. Things like the Strawberry Place land for instance. It just has nothing to do with the lads on the pitch (well, maybe, as you could potentially be watching said lads from there…but anyway), so why discuss it?

Magscar…I am off in a second. I don’t disagree with that first bit too much. Do you think he can though? It doesn’t look good.

Have a good night, one and all.

• 56 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:37 PM

G2@53

I was joking – I hope. My alltime favourite player but can’t see any effective position for him at club – don’t blame him for trying though as he never made the (undeserved?) millions that current lot do

• 57 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:40 PM

And we will get that win lads! We will fong those southerners! Rafa will lead us to victory!

• 58 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Ibiza@55

I really don’t know but is my cherished hope still. Weirdly and for all the wrong reasons perhaps this may be the time – might soften relegation blow if it does fall ??

Also offnow as only came onto make a comment and ended up over 2 hours (oops sorry love!)

• 59 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Do we give up? Never I say! Do we pull on our Thongs of Gloom? Nay! A thousand times nay! We march on with heeds held high (I like that one, heeds held high, beautiful)! Howay the lads!

• 60 GeordieTwo // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Good night all! Harrumph.

• 61 Our Toon // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Magscar

Like I said I have no issues with you attending but you do have a defeatist attitude, dress it up as much as you like but sit back and fold your arms and say I can’t do anything is defeatist. I do agree it’s tough to galvanise 52k but in all honesty it’s bit less than that these days, hence why we were perfect for Ashley…..which fans can I continue to take piss with and yet they’ll keep coming back week after week.

People go to games for different reasons, family day out, drinking day with friends or ritual on Saturdays….they’d be lost without it, some will be die hard or what I’d call perfect Ashley punters as they’ll spend on wonga tops etc. Lose, Win or draw they’ll be happy they got the day out

In my parents memory and mine we’ve come a long way, equal rights for women, abolishing slavery and allowing all to live in communities together but we can’t even take a step to remove Ashley because he’ll go when he wants. Imagine if Dr King had that mindset or if Churchill had that mindset, they had to galvanise the world and ideology not just 52k. The point I’m making is sit back and do nothing and you’ll not make an impact nor force change!! We can force change as one or continue attending and watch every minute whilst doing sweet FA.

Some are stuck unfortunately with the deals they have for season tickets, turn up and walk out as the game kicks off. Watch it in a pub which isn’t affiliated with Ashley!! Something is better than nothing

• 62 midweek weekend // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM

on a more positive note if we do go down, be interesting if we could not only come back up first time asking but break our point tally of 102 points, that season really was surprisingly enjoyable

• 63 lochinvar // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM

The game that changed the odds was Norwich winning away at West Brom …but yet again we are in the do do because we didn’t have points on the board before Xmas and Chanley had appointed McClaren as Manager.

Redemption will only happen if our lot pull wins out of the bag that no one believes we have a chance of winning – Southampton, City and Spurs for a start is nine points. Gets interesting if that happens.

• 64 bettyswallocks // Apr 7, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Ibiza…… Please accept my apologies for confusing Catchy’s post with you and the subsequent ref. to Bobbybee .
    I just get very disappointed when people are blasé about relegation and it makes me question their motives for supporting the club.
    I know you are a fervent Ashley hater which is fine but like I said this season he played his hand early and left it to the inadequate minions, so to keep digging up his previous shortcomings when he can’t do anything to change things becomes tedious.

• 65 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Pretty interesting read particularly the bit about none of Carr’s first choices being signed in the last 12 months ! For 80 million who else did he want?!?

• 66 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Too many rallying calls at the moment from players and fans.

Its like shouting down a well and hearing the fading echos shouting back.

So depressing!

• 67 magscar // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Our Toon

I don’t go any more or at least only very occasionally to take my grandson. I am sorry but I don’t get your grandiose comparisons – Ashley doesn’t compare to Nazis or KKK.

I have made my personal protests with others over the years( never in a majority then either) and my experience tells me that Owners go when they are ready not when I say. That of course could be when protests get too much but they have alternatives to selling if the profits are rolling in. Again it has never happened because of crowd protests in and outside the ground in my time deserved though they were.

I have no problem with your call to arms other than honestly questioning who of the 50000 is actually listening and motivated by you and others making the call. Is it defeatist to say -” not enough to matter” or is it simply mathematics. When individual fans reach their own line in the sand they will stop going unless some one bullies them into not going. They are not the problem or part of the problem as individuals because they cannot be sure that their personal sacrifice ( which it is if they go before their line has been reached) will be matched by enough others to make a hap’worth of difference.

Try some banners with Ashley with a white sack over his head and Swastika arm bands – that might just spark sufficient outrage 😉

Am off as I said I was – having been drawn back in by your post to me

• 68 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:21 PM

“Carr, who has effectively been the club’s head of recruitment for the last seven years, is understood to have offered his resignation earlier this season, but it was rejected.”

• 69 toon kk // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Tbf the championship is full of ex premier league clubs and we’ll soon be one of them.
    For all its a real shame us going down, I’m actually looking forward to us being in more competitive games (hopefully).
    But unless we sort our poor work rate oot we’ll struggle again.

• 70 Ibizatoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Betty…You’ve just admitted you made a complete cock-up of your attack.Adding a bunch of further slavver after the apology just makes you look like an angry drunk.

Have a lie down.

• 71 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM

If our team put in 50% of the effort that Liverpool and Dortmund are putting into this game we would be comfortably in the top half of the table !

• 72 martoon // Apr 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Ibiza @5 – Thanks for reminding me of a previous conversation. It reminded me I wasn’t having a pop at you but rather at Catchy. The arrogance of the man is unbelievable – he sits in his ivory tower in Norway thinking he is much cleverer than supporters who attend the games. I know for a fact there are some Doctors who sit near me – are they mindless happy clappers?
    I can only speak for myself but I attend matches to support my team, watch a game of football and hopefully see them win from time to time – nothing beats the buzz of watching your team win. I’ve too much sh*t in my life to start organising protests & walkouts – does that make the current situation my fault – I say no more than those who choose to watch on TV!

• 73 jimiley // Apr 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

I cannot stand the superior smugness of people who go to games and are therfore better than those who do not. Their opinion is somehow worth more???? Some have chosen not to view the rubbish. You do not have to watch rubbish to call it. The watchers who say nothing are as much part of the problem as the owner and Carr and Charmless. And if you cannot figure it out after all these years, I feel sorry for you.

• 74 lesh // Apr 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Ibiza

A short article in The Guardian has the strapline “Ibiza invites I Took A Pill singer to see the sights”.

Unofficial ambassador for the Island? Ashley’ll have you down for the next NUFC ambassador if the need arises. That’ll depend on whether the post’s retained if we’re relegated.

• 75 Lindisfarne // Apr 7, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I hope Rafa sees this:

“”The aim is to make training so complex and mentally demanding that the game feels relaxing by contrast.””

• 76 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM

I think I understand the empathy behind Magscars posts but unfortunately they contain all you need to know about collective apathy. The ability to fold your arms and take a beating year on year because there’s just nothing the little man can do is what Fuels greedy opportunists like Ashley. Turning a blind eye to the patently obvious ruination of a proud sporting institution because it’s been bad in the past too, just doesn’t wash out. Times change, and the reasons for our pathetic state is not merely economic hardship of leaner times, or the fumblings of well – intentioned made-good fans who cackhandedly think they can run their own club. This is the modern era of well – funded mega rich businessmen with teams of well-versed marketing professionals as the engine. We are not talking about darning socks or patching trousers any more. This club is going down simply because an incredibly rich and greedy man is continuing to abuse the loyalty of a city to it’s club, and the fans who will continue to support this sham, happily thinking all will turn out well in the end, are simply prolonging the agony indefinitely.

Stop talking about the past. Stop talking about past owners, past managers, past ground conditions. This is now. He is ruining this club and taking us all for idiots NOW. Go by all means and show him we are fans but there must be a point where the crowd say enough is enough and make their voice heard.

• 77 Tsunki // Apr 7, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Jimiley – more succinct than my post but I believe the same sentiment. As a former st holder I don’t speak from the eternal armchair but from experience.

• 78 toonking // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM

been reading through the posts and notice alot of people stating that an empty stadium is all it takes to enforce ashley to sell.

In our own mind that might look a good way but in the real world getting an owner to sell the club i will be much harder than we think.

look at who’s sitting below us. Aston villa are in a state of crisis themselves, they too have got a decent past that’s been turned upside down by an owner and for years fans have been desperate to see him leave but he’s continuously remaining there.

Thinking that a decent buyer will come in you only need to go back a few years and you’ll remember blackburn rovers. This club had a disgraceful ownership but when the venkys did decide to sell it was an owner that had some involvement in indian chickens.

We now know for sure we’ll be relegated and it’s relegation that will give ashley the greatest impact in profits. If he really wanted to sell us then he’ll attempt to do so next season. The likelyhood of promotion back into the PL will be much more difficuilt next season than it was last time. On his first occassion the spirit was still there and players thought he might learn but now every single bit of spirit has gone.Bookmakers might put us as favourites for promoted but I wouldn’t be too suprised if we and villa both join group leeds, sheff wed and blackburn becoming yet another team who’s great times are gone.

• 79 VanToonMan // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:06 AM

I know this sounds ridiculous given the fact we are already missing defenders but I think we need to start someone else at RB.

Janmaat really is careless defensively – so many goals coming from that end – he does not seem 100% committed and his attacking is poor – poor crosses and selfishly shoots instead of passing.

I started thinking it over the last few games and the final straw were the norwich goals and his needless standing offside when we were attacking.

Also Wijnaldum is anonymous in CM role – either we play him on the wing or in an advanced role or play De Jong instead – he will link up the play better.

We need to play 2 strikers – we need wins – so we need a pardew 4-4-2 style for the remaining games. I would start Mitro and Perez or Cisse up top together.

—————————-Darlow——————————

Anita———–Mbemba———–Lascelles——–Sissoko

Wijnaldum——–Tiote/DeJong——–Shelvey———Townsend

————————Cisse———–Mitro———————–

• 80 Blofal // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:15 AM

We are going to win at Southampton purely because by all rights we shouldn’t.

• 81 jimmysmith // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM

You’d have to think that pressure has played a significant part in our years of underachievement. It’s always intense, and no more intense than now.

And so it’s an even longer shot than ever that this particular group of relatively unseasoned players with their battered psyche’s will rise to an immense challenge.

Strangely, Charnley still talks in positive terms of survival, which seems deluded, notwithstanding the calibre of the manager and a number of talented players.

I am hoping against reason now that we stay up, and I think Charnley, Benitez and Ashley are a bad result in this next match from joining me.

• 82 jimmysmith // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:47 AM

————————-Darlow——————
    Janmaat——–Mbemba——Colo–——–Sissoko

Wijnaldum––De Jong–Shelvey—–Townsend

—————Cisse———–Mitro

Largely agree VTM, but still believe Janmaat and Colo are part of our best back four, although both have been too often found wanting this season. Shelvey can hold, with De Jong in the more attacking central midfield role.

• 83 magscar // Apr 8, 2016 at 4:52 AM

Tsunki

Your rallying cry has roused me from my slumber – literally not into manning the barricades.

My posts do not in fact contain all you need to know about collective apathy.
    They do seem to worry you with your Ashley out campaign though ha ha

Come up with something other than repetitive slogans that people can actually get behind and I might take your posturing about sons and daughters of sock darners and trouser patchers against the mega rich seriously.

I have protested before and would do again if only some one were able to come up with a viable plan I could get behind.

Unfortunately your and Bladeuser repetitive blog chants and Jfa’s moniker just do not cut it with me just as “SACK THE BOARD” chants did nothing for fan’s opposition over the years.

You may note if you read my posts that I did point Our Toon in the direction of protsts against Ashley somewhere other than SJP – but our owner opposition is not as organised already as those at Rangers were and more than a one off would be needed.

I believe in the crowd as a force just have not seen any one figure or group capable of stirring it by design or spontaneously. Stating what I have experienced and still see as unmanageable in these days of crowds no longer formed mainly from working class young males is not apathy just reporting what I see. Away crowds are collectively more manageable than at home but I have yet to witness them organised into a guerilla regime removing unit by some erstwhile revolutionary.

My view is that the crowd will turn when individuals in it have reached their personal line in the sand unless and until someone capable of galvanising such a disparate bunch does so. That man or woman does not come on here nor is this a realistic recruiting station as many posters seem to (now) watch if at all through feeds or on TV.

Your repetitive slogan is no more an effective call than my postings are a hindrance to any serious revolutionary although they seem to have you worried that they are for some reason.

Back to my fitful slumber and dreams of Che Guevara 🙂

• 84 martoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 7:36 AM

jimiley @73 – read my post again, where was I being smug. I was simply defending myself against a particularly nasty comment.

previous post: Newcastle Player Desperate – We’re Going To Try Our Hardest