The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez – I Want To Stay At Newcastle For A While

12:49 pm, Friday, April 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez gave his press conference today at 12:30 pm for the game at Southampton tomorrow, which is almost a must-win game if we are to mount any kind of win streak and avoid relegation with just seven games to play and we are a full 6 points from safety.

The manager was asked if he would stay on if Newcastle are relegated and he was a little coy in his response to that question:

“I have confidence we will stay in the Premier League”

And then he was asked about the Spain National manager job that he has been linked with this summer when Vicente del Bosque will retire:

“I am Newcastle manager and I want to be next year. I want to be here for a while yet”

rafa benitez press confence today

Rafa Benitez – coy about whether he will stay at Newcastle if we are relegated

Here are some of the other things he said at his press conference:

“The team are giving everything. We have to stop the mental block they have.” “We know where we are, but we have to learn.We had a problem with injuries but the quality is there. Mentally we must improve”

“We can’t influence other games. We have to keep fighting even if we don’t beat Southampton. I tell fans we will not give up”

“Papiss Cisse was good, Mitro is scoring, Ayoze is doing well. It is good news but a problem for me as I need to choose who”

Rafa is being smart by not saying whether he will stay or not if we go down – and that’s because he wants to get the very best out of the players and make it do-or-die for them to deliver.

If he said he was leaving then the players would maybe slacken off because he will not be here next season.

If he said he was staying they could slacken off because they would know he would be able to get them out of the Championship at the first attempt next season – and therefore they could slacken off.

Rafa is smart and very experienced – and very good.

But it seems extremely unlikely he would want to stay on at Newcastle if we are relegated – Rafa is far too good for the Championship.

However it doesn’t stop fans from asking him (make that pleading with him) to stay and make us great again if we do go down.

It would also be great for him to boost his win rate in the Championship.

🙂

How Will Newcastle Fare At Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Prayer · Press · Press Conference

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Tsunki

Speaking of QPR, I reckon we’ll end up mid-table like them next season.

• 2 JamRec // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Is it just me and my misplaced optimism or is all this talk of us going down premature?

If we win at the weekend, Sunderland and Norwich lose… then we go 3rd bottom and only 3 points off Norwich with a game in hand!

I’m not saying it’s easy but when did the Toon ever take the easy route? What I am saying is that can we all please stop with this talk of “next season when we are in the Championship”!!!!

• 3 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM

MD Derek Llambias explained: “We just do straight contracts. We do no overseas pensions, no image rights. We say, ‘This is your money, now you go away and talk to your tax advisers if you must.’

“We don’t do goal bonuses. We had that with Martins, maybe that’s why he would always shoot from the halfway line! We used to see him on the ball and think, ‘Oh look. He’s going to shoot again.’

“We’ve taken all that stuff out. We know exactly where we are.

“We do have team bonuses for success, in terms of positions.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Del boys use of “we” all over the place is interesting. Him and Mike,sorting the club out, they’re vision, their policy.

Mike has nothing to do with anything though. It’s no wonder Derek had to go.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM

That’s just poor. They’re / their…right next to each other Ibizatoon.

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Ha ha ha sorry but it deserves a repost in it’s entire context :-

41Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Jail for Ashley //beefman,
    When Ashley came in nine years ago one of his first actions was to cancel the goal bonus to stop players shooting from anywhere

What a crock !

Straight from the fantasy folder !

Who concocted that one , you or your boyfriend Mr Tuff !

42Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 12:58 PM

“We’ve taken all that stuff out. We know exactly where we are.

“We do have team bonuses for success, in terms of positions.”

Oh well, you can’t get ’em right all the time.

Oh Jib. You are so adorable, bless you! 😀

• 7 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I could dine off that for weeks ha ha ha 😀 😀 😀

• 8 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM

JamRec, get me a pair of those glasses next time you’re there would you mate? 🙂

• 9 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Put all the strikers on Rafa, might as well because the defence is shot.

• 10 MacToon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Jib “fail” again, priceless. “It wasn’t me guv, someone hacked my account!”

• 11 Scotty // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM

I like your optimism. Unfortunately, there seems to be no fight in our senior players. We have to keep hoping. If we stay up and keep rafa, things will change.

• 12 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM

When Ashley came in nine years ago one of his first actions

Really
    Did he not take his coat off first ?

How does Jail get in touch with his mates from the oil – rig ?
    Text something like
    “Jib’s picking on us – Heeeelllpppp”
    Tsunki/Bea
    and Mac/Jensen in like Flynn
    What are you frightened of girls ?
    😀

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Ed

I think it’s time for a new poll.

Are we the most depressed fans in the world.

They say that stress and depression seriously effect the life expectancy of people so a comparison between fans of clubs like ours, Aston villa and Sunderland relative to Barcelona, Bayern Munich and ManU to assess longevity expectation would be interesting.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Don’t sell yourself short, Jib. Your response on the last thread was much better.

Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Ibizatoon // Oh well, you can’t get ’em right all the time.

You certainly can’t Ibiza

“MD Derek Llambias explained”

D-E-R-E-K

L-L-A-M-B-I-A-S

is not

M-I-K-E

A-S-H-L-E-Y

Geddit ?

44 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Jib…Quick question before I address the actual discussion at hand. Do you tpye their names that way for clarity (you may note I can read properly formed words) or is that how you say it? Almost like a cheerleader?

Give us an “M”, give us an “I”…..etc etc…you get the idea I’m sure.

Your get out is that Llambias is the one who gave the interview? Even if the first line was “we” meaning more than one person? Even with Derek saying Mike and I, meaning the “we” is Derek AND Mike?

• 15 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Ibiza
    I did it that way because I have only met 2 folk from Reading and they were both very slow on the uptake

• 16 Lindisfarne // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Actually a good review and based on facts rather than ‘Dubious Jib’ opinion:

• 17 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Ha ha Jib take a breath mate. It would truly be dull without you. 🙂

As for being picked on by you it brings to mind that ‘savaged by a dead sheep’ quote.

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Ibiza

Tpye, isn’t she a Vulcan.

Sorry couldn’t resist!

• 19 JamRec // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM

The passion I’ve seen from the players lately is something I haven’t seen for a long time… I think players like Andros, Jonjo and Mitro will spur the team on to a few wins on the trot! Mitro is scoring now so the striker training obviously paid off and he has told the players he wants more crosses and shots. I’m looking at the positives here 🙂

• 20 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

We meaning him and John Irving his financial director.

• 21 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Who were they Jib? Ricky Gervais? Sam Mendes? They’re a bit dim aren’t they?

• 22 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Jib…As per usual, you’ve swung a miss.

I’m not from Reading, nor have I lived there. I did grow up near by, sort of. Definitely a few Saturday afternoons at the Oracle.

It’s okay Jib. This didn’t and still doesn’t need to be a big deal. Not attacking you, just pointing out that what you said in an attempt to ridicule Jail, and for some bizarre reason, Tuff, was incorrect.

• 23 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Oh right, Irving, who he doesn’t mention at all?

• 24 stuart no9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Ed—–please stop going on about raffa leaving . youll drive him away soon .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    stuart no9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:34 AM

stuart no9 // Apr 5, 2016 at 11:38 AM

3, 2016 at 2:07 PM

sorry to have to post this again , but im going to post it on every topic untill we are relegated.

,,,stuart no9 // Apr 3, 2016 at 11:30 AM

ED . how to you know Raffa is leaving at the end of the season ? has he told you ? untill he makes a statement saying hes leaving – hes staying .
    Ok its not looking great this morning , however by the law of averages we are due a win , A draw at saints next week is not going to be a decider but we MUST take all 3 against swansea, 1 point against M city, zilch against liverpool, 3 against palace, 3 against villa and 3 against spurs coz the title will be won by the time we play them.so i can see 14 points that are acheivable . 14 plus 25 =39 . enough to stay up this season . thats it we are safe. benitez stays and we kick on next season

ill stop posting when we are relegated,

• 25 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM

I think I mentioned the old Marquis of Granby pub on London Road once that might be where Jib got his Reading connection from.

• 26 sula // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Rafa needs to bring all the experience he has and create a system that can work around these fools.

Worst teams then ours have survived over the years its no good saying we played better in the second half of all games where do they go in the first half??? surely you are more fresh in the first half.

He must change things up quickly as well i think we waitrs to long before he makes his changes. We need a manager that can scream get these fools motivated Rafa is failing to that for me. Great respect for him but just starting to look like he is not the man us at this time hope i am made to eat those words.

Just my thoughts what does everybody else think???

• 27 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Anyway, I’m going to get back to work.

If this whole thing hinges on Dereks use of “we”, then I think it’s fairly obvious where this “debate” is headed.

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure they were wrong to remove that particular bonus. Perhaps they went a bit ott mind.

We’re just one big happy family.

• 28 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Ibiza
    Jail said one of Ashleys first actions 9 years ago was to stop goal bonuses.

Llambias didn’t take over until 8 years ago.

He and John Irving revamped the whole bonus system in an effort to up performance on the pitch.

So what Jail said was a crock.

• 29 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM

He he he..

• 30 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I’d settle for a ramekin jib. Not quite a crock.

• 31 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Ok
    A small bone-china potty

• 32 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Caption comp – What’s Harps saying?

• 33 SPRINGY // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM

them jeans are on special are’nt they!

• 34 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM

SH is saying
    ” I can spike Carrolls water bottle nae botha – but he’s a big lad I’ll need assistance carrying him to the chopper”

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM

A message for Big Mike

As you reflect, you will enter into infinite health that transcends understanding.

Although you may not realize it, you are mythic.

How should you navigate this magical quantum soup?

Just think about it Mr Ashley

• 36 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Mike:- Just what is that funny thing with the netting behind you Steve?

• 37 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Essex
    Are you not a bit old to be smoking weed ?

• 38 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Jib

Naah, “I’m too old to rock and roll and too young to die.”

• 39 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Mike, these long trousers and long socks you sold me…

• 40 Tinman // Apr 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Got a funny old feeling we will beat Southampton and then Swansea, but still go down on the last day

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Apr 8, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Did I hear the dull thud of an ACME anvil falling on to a serial gaffes head!

• 42 lesh // Apr 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Could Rafa’s coyness be down the possibility that Mikey boy might terminate his contract if we are relegated?

I’d like to think that Rafa will stay, relegated or not and if he does, Ashley gets some executive management in who know what they’re doing. Given the reported Adhley review, he surely needs to appoint an MD who as well as having solid experience of football at a high level as well as managing change.

I’m sure Benitez could advise Ashley on what he sees as wrong with the Club – at least his opinion would be impartial.

• 43 Back Door Man // Apr 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM

98% of the stuff posted on here is clearly bollocks. All the the talk about the players’ contracts, Manuel’s contract, Ashley’s intentions, and so on, is only guesswork by the uninformed, and what research (if any!) that might be carried out is from other dodgy websites. All the real stuff is covered by commercial confidentiality so the details aren’t in the public domain for those here to feast on. Yep, all the guff being spouted here helps pass the time but it’s all gobshite.

Anyway, we’re going on an winning run to survival … starting Saturday!

previous post: Paul Merson’s Damning Answer To Quesion On Newcastle