Rafa Benitez – I’m Really Pleased Here At Newcastle

In Rafa Benitez’ press conference today there was more than once that he said he was happy at Newcastle and wanted to stay at the club next year – and then another time he said he wanted to stay at the club for some time.

Rafa could even have been inferring he wanted to stay at Newcastle even if we go down, but he still left the specific question unanswered if he would stay if we became a Championship club in May.

We thought it looked positive when we saw his comments and looked better when we saw the video of his press conference.

But you can never be certain, because Rafa is such an in-demand manager, but Chronicle reporters – lead reporter Lee Ryder and NUFC reporter Chris Waugh – both made videos after this afternoon’s press conference and suggested Rafa seems to want to stay on Tyneside.

rafa benites at s james' park

Rafa Benitez – charismatic manager would transform Newcastle United

Rafa reiterated Newcastle would remain a Premier league side and yes – Rafa has to come across positive for his players – but he seemed to really believe what he kept stressing during the conference – that he and his players can avoid the drop this season with seven games to go.

Here’s some of what he actually said at his press conference today where he was cool, calm, collected and charismatic as he kept smiling to the reporters as he gave his answers.

This is what he said when answering questions about Newcastle possibly being relegated and also Rafa being a potential candidate for the Spain National manager job this summer:

“I am the Newcastle manager and I want to be the Newcastle manager next year. I am really pleased here.”

“Always it is positive when people talk about you. Obviously with Spain, it is one of the top teams in the world now, but I am just concentrating and I would like to stay here for a while.”

“Del Bosque is my friend – I was his assistant when he was with the first team at Real Madrid, he knows how I work.”

“But still, I think I will be here for a while. I have confidence we will stay in the Premier League, so I don’t think about the other options.”

If Newcastle can keep Rafa at the club – whatever happens – it will be huge lift to Newcastle fans – especially if we cannot avoid the drop.

If Mike Ashley wants to do something really positive  for the club he could do a lot worse than ensure Rafa is happy at Newcastle and give him a huge bonus to get us back to the Premier League at the very first attempt – always assuming we are relegated in May.

Rafa would revitalize the Newcastle United club and he would reinvigorate the long-suffering Newcastle fans – who have been let down far too many times by those running Newcastle during the nine year Ashley era.

Rafa would change all that – he would change everything.

• Yo-yo

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM

It is my fervent hope we keep Rafa next year, wherever we are playing.
    If he sees us as a ‘project’ good enough to tax his skills, then it might be a bit different from coaching Barca to another treble, but for all of us, a much more worthy challenge – and probably a better measure of his abilities.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:17 PM

It would restore my faith if Rafa was kept on with all his demands met and a whole new set up in place with Mashers actually, really and truthfully taking a back seat.

• Jib

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I missed that one
    Benitez coaching Barcelona to a treble.
    Seems to have left it off his CV as well.

• Jib

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Jail
    The club owner RB got on with best was Aurelio De Laurentiis (nephew of Dino the famous film producer ) owner of Napoli .

Rafa dropped Napoli in it a bit , in his haste to take the Real Madrid job , something he regrets now.

If he gets what he wants in terms of control and no interference at NUFC he will give us a good shot .

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Jibberish,
    Magnolia can be described as cream if you wish!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM

could be wrong but Rafa doesn’t strike me as a kiss and run sort of person.

I think he”ll give the team a fair run providing “The Management” don’t p!ss him about.

• Yo-yo

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Yes JIB you do miss rather a a lot.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Magnolia, another posh word. Swallowed a dictionary jail.

I think jail is posh sitting there in is armchair with his cup of coco, pipe and slippers with his trousers up to his chest like Simon Cowell.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Anyway 3 points for us tomorrow, mitrovic with 3 goals.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Wish we would take a leaf out of Leicesters book, they haven’t got world class players but they do work hard as a team, 1st eleven very solid, haven’t got the strongest of benches and also they have been very lucky with injuries, great to watch though just wish we had a squad, director, owner and a scout team like them.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:58 PM

I’ve got a feeling palace will win tomorrow.

• jane

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM

hope so

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM

I’m fed up of people using long words on here just to try and appear perspicacious .

• toon kk

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM

We’ll be very lucky to get four more points between now and the end of the season.
    Rafa is only saying what he has to say, he’s not daft, now that he has had a chance to see what we’re all about he’ll know we’re sh.t.
    Another defeat is enivitable tomorrow.

• toon kk

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Inevitable

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM

I dont agree with rafa’s assessment re our progress but we are starting to fight. Make nitro the captain and lets tear into them

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Jib…… You are a misogynist, homophobic, alcoholic, fascist, racist , xenophobic bigot. Other than that you’re not a bad bloke.

• Munster Mag

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Gotta admire the man though, lets just hope he stays and gets stronger players than our numpties

• lesh

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Jib

Your knowledge, so deep and extensive doesn’t seem to get the recognition it deserves.

• lesh

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Bettys

I hadn’t seen your post recognizing Jib’s contributions to the Blog.

Between us we’ve got the makings of a Jib appreciation society.

Just watch the numbers grow.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Lesh……. He’s my hero. I just love the way he always applies logic to all his comments. His logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.
    He knows we love him really.

• jimmysmith

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Would doing what is needed to keep Rafa be cost effective to Ashley and Sports Direct? Probably yes, but it would require the owner to pump more of his own wealth in, interest free, for one or two seasons. That’s surely on the cards, if Rafa would seriously consider staying on, and he might. Newcastle is potentially a big, big club in global terms, as well as a historically beautiful club, and of course a tremendous challenge. Wouldn’t dismiss the possibility.

• Tsunki

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Jib has,quite the depth of understanding.
    He is like the bottom
    Of
    A
    Very large
    Dog.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Jimmy……… I am just about coming to terms with the probability of relegation. It’s really sickened me but rather than apportioning blame and thinking about what should have been, I got to thinking maybe if Rafa stays which I think he will, Are we better off in the championship with him at the helm to sort things out from top to bottom or just about avoiding the drop under a crap manager with more of the same frustrating Shyte next season?

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Jib once made 3 correct guesses consecutively and thus established himself as an expert.

• Tsunki

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM

I would have to say that I suspect Jib is, in short, suspiciously antidisestablishmentarianistic.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Hahahahaha -well at least I get a good laugh……….
    the Jib Appreciation Society.

I think I would not be far off the mark to guess who would be in the Society.
    Ian Toon
    Welsh
    Any other hypocritical knacker who converses with him and turns a blind eye to his foul abuse.

For turns a blind eye – also read.
    I wasn’t on the blog that day.
    His posts are good.
    I crossed the road to the other side.
    I was out shopping.
    I do not care if he insults others.
    etc etc etc.-

• Tsunki

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:54 PM

…don’t forget ” I quite enjoy some of his football facts”

• Thump

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I quite enjoy some of his football facts

• bettyswallocks

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:01 AM

An intelligent person can actually make a more stupid statement than an idiot. The idiot is limited to his imbecility.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Well I think Jib is a gross ignoramus. That makes him 144 times worse than a normal ignoramus.

• jimmysmith

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Ashley of course has put substantial money in, just not as wisely as he should have. So the willingness is there as well as the capacity. He’s also ultimately responsible, and while many would argue he’s a rogue, I wouldn’t agree. His ultimate goal and first priority may well be profitability, but it seems very unlikely he’s actively tried to undermine the club along the way. I think he’s tried to straddle both the well being of the club and it’s profitability, and failed, certainly in the former endeavour, but that doesn’t mean he’ll quit on it. Whether his ambitions would match Benitez’s is would be the greater sticking point I think.

• Back Door Man

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM

previously posted …

98% of the stuff posted on here is clearly bollocks. All the the talk about the players’ contracts, Manuel’s contract, Ashley’s intentions, and so on, is only guesswork by the uninformed, and what research (if any!) that might be carried out is from other dodgy websites. All the real stuff is covered by commercial confidentiality so the details aren’t in the public domain for those here to feast on. Yep, all the guff being spouted here helps pass the time but it’s all gobshite.

Anyway, we’re going on an winning run to survival … starting Saturday!

• SPRINGY

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM

jimmy
    he is a money driven man,but i cant really knock him for the money he has invested this season,unfortunately the two knackers and the wally have made a bollick of it,if he was to invest again with benitez at the helm or not,whether we stay up or go down,would go a long way to try to prove he knows he’s dropped almighty clangers in the past,but then again he could be just taking the piss in one way or another….alot will happen in the summer

• SPRINGY

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:49 AM

back door
    hope ya right,be nice to see a win……its been a while!lol

• bettyswallocks

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:51 AM

Jimmy………..If we hadn’t have gone on the disastrous run under McC I assume we wouldn’t have brought Rafa in and would have continued to muddle along .It remains to be seen whether he decides to stay but if he does and is given the authority required to fix things then I suppose it is one small blessing to offset the disappointment of this season.
    I agree with your thoughts on Ashley preferring a winning team to a losing one under the confines of making the club profitable.

• jimmysmith

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:10 AM

The amount of investment over 8-9 years has been quite substantial, if patchy, not just the most recent one. It’s been the manner of the investment, rather than the size of it, that far more justifies criticism I think. He’s tried everything else and failed, he might think throwing his lot in with Rafa, even if expensive, is now his best bet, given the money now on offer in the EPL. The landscape has changed.

• jimmysmith

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Gobshite is a bit harsh. There are many thoughtful and informed posters on here. analysing events and drawing conclusions. It’s a peerless football blog I imagine, thanks to Ed’s dedication, and the devotion of the posters, but we can ultimately only make our best guesses though, but that’s not gobshite.

• lesh

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Bettys

Jib’s use of logic….., 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:22 AM

I am going to bed now but I will just leave this thought behind as I slip into my hardened underground bunker.

If Jib didn’t exist and I am not altogether convinced that he does, Then there would have to be someone else for people to vent their spleen on.

OK he is not perfect but then who is?

The biblical quote comes to mind that:-

Let he who is without sin cast the first. stone.

Jib in his many (or not) forms is a necessary aspect of any blog and personally find him interesting and amusing. The blog would be duller without him so you can add me to his appreciation society.

Anyway having got that out of the way I would rather Palace lose this weekend as I think they are more catch-able than Norwich who seem to be doing the Leicester thing at the moment. I reckon its still between us and Sunderland for the third relegation spot with CP and AV.

Night all