The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez – I’m Really Pleased Here At Newcastle

9:02 pm, Friday, April 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 60 Comments

In Rafa Benitez’ press conference today there was more than once that he said he was happy at Newcastle and wanted to stay at the club next year – and then another time he said he wanted to stay at the club for some time.

Rafa could even have been inferring he wanted to stay at Newcastle even if we go down, but he still left the specific question unanswered if he would stay if we became a Championship club in May.

We thought it looked positive when we saw his comments and looked better when we saw the video of his press conference.

But you can never be certain, because Rafa is such an in-demand manager, but Chronicle reporters – lead reporter Lee Ryder and NUFC reporter Chris Waugh – both made videos after this afternoon’s press conference and suggested Rafa seems to want to stay on Tyneside.

rafa benites at s james' park

Rafa Benitez – charismatic manager would transform Newcastle United

Rafa reiterated Newcastle would remain a Premier league side and yes – Rafa has to come across positive for his players – but he seemed to really believe what he kept stressing during the conference – that he and his players can avoid the drop this season with seven games to go.

Here’s some of what he actually said at his press conference today where he was cool, calm, collected and charismatic as he kept smiling to the reporters as he gave his answers.

This is what he said when answering questions about Newcastle possibly being relegated and also Rafa being a potential candidate for the Spain National manager job this summer:

“I am the Newcastle manager and I want to be the Newcastle manager next year. I am really pleased here.”

“Always it is positive when people talk about you. Obviously with Spain, it is one of the top teams in the world now, but I am just concentrating and I would like to stay here for a while.”

“Del Bosque is my friend – I was his assistant when he was with the first team at Real Madrid, he knows how I work.”

“But still, I think I will be here for a while. I have confidence we will stay in the Premier League, so I don’t think about the other options.”

If Newcastle can keep Rafa at the club – whatever happens – it will be huge lift to Newcastle fans – especially if we cannot avoid the drop.

If Mike Ashley wants to do something really positive  for the club he could do a lot worse than ensure Rafa is happy at Newcastle and give him a huge bonus to get us back to the Premier League at the very first attempt – always assuming we are relegated in May.

Rafa would revitalize the Newcastle United club and he would reinvigorate the long-suffering Newcastle fans – who have been let down far too many times by those running Newcastle during the nine year Ashley era.

Rafa would change all that – he would change everything.

Tags: Prayer · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

60 responses so far ↓

• 1 Yo-yo // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM

It is my fervent hope we keep Rafa next year, wherever we are playing.
    If he sees us as a ‘project’ good enough to tax his skills, then it might be a bit different from coaching Barca to another treble, but for all of us, a much more worthy challenge – and probably a better measure of his abilities.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:17 PM

It would restore my faith if Rafa was kept on with all his demands met and a whole new set up in place with Mashers actually, really and truthfully taking a back seat.

• 3 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I missed that one
    Benitez coaching Barcelona to a treble.
    Seems to have left it off his CV as well.

• 4 Jib // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Jail
    The club owner RB got on with best was Aurelio De Laurentiis (nephew of Dino the famous film producer ) owner of Napoli .

Rafa dropped Napoli in it a bit , in his haste to take the Real Madrid job , something he regrets now.

If he gets what he wants in terms of control and no interference at NUFC he will give us a good shot .

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Jibberish,
    Magnolia can be described as cream if you wish!

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM

could be wrong but Rafa doesn’t strike me as a kiss and run sort of person.

I think he”ll give the team a fair run providing “The Management” don’t p!ss him about.

• 7 Yo-yo // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Yes JIB you do miss rather a a lot.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Magnolia, another posh word. Swallowed a dictionary jail.

I think jail is posh sitting there in is armchair with his cup of coco, pipe and slippers with his trousers up to his chest like Simon Cowell.

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Anyway 3 points for us tomorrow, mitrovic with 3 goals.

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Wish we would take a leaf out of Leicesters book, they haven’t got world class players but they do work hard as a team, 1st eleven very solid, haven’t got the strongest of benches and also they have been very lucky with injuries, great to watch though just wish we had a squad, director, owner and a scout team like them.

• 11 welshgeordie9 // Apr 8, 2016 at 9:58 PM

I’ve got a feeling palace will win tomorrow.

• 12 jane // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM

hope so

• 13 bettyswallocks // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:04 PM

I’m fed up of people using long words on here just to try and appear perspicacious .

• 14 toon kk // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM

We’ll be very lucky to get four more points between now and the end of the season.
    Rafa is only saying what he has to say, he’s not daft, now that he has had a chance to see what we’re all about he’ll know we’re sh.t.
    Another defeat is enivitable tomorrow.

• 15 toon kk // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Inevitable

• 16 Munster Mag // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM

I dont agree with rafa’s assessment re our progress but we are starting to fight. Make nitro the captain and lets tear into them

• 17 bettyswallocks // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Jib…… You are a misogynist, homophobic, alcoholic, fascist, racist , xenophobic bigot. Other than that you’re not a bad bloke.

• 18 Munster Mag // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Gotta admire the man though, lets just hope he stays and gets stronger players than our numpties

• 19 lesh // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Jib

Your knowledge, so deep and extensive doesn’t seem to get the recognition it deserves.

• 20 lesh // Apr 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Bettys

I hadn’t seen your post recognizing Jib’s contributions to the Blog.

Between us we’ve got the makings of a Jib appreciation society.

Just watch the numbers grow.

• 21 bettyswallocks // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Lesh……. He’s my hero. I just love the way he always applies logic to all his comments. His logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.
    He knows we love him really.

• 22 jimmysmith // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Would doing what is needed to keep Rafa be cost effective to Ashley and Sports Direct? Probably yes, but it would require the owner to pump more of his own wealth in, interest free, for one or two seasons. That’s surely on the cards, if Rafa would seriously consider staying on, and he might. Newcastle is potentially a big, big club in global terms, as well as a historically beautiful club, and of course a tremendous challenge. Wouldn’t dismiss the possibility.

• 23 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Jib has,quite the depth of understanding.
    He is like the bottom
    Of
    A
    Very large
    Dog.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Jimmy……… I am just about coming to terms with the probability of relegation. It’s really sickened me but rather than apportioning blame and thinking about what should have been, I got to thinking maybe if Rafa stays which I think he will, Are we better off in the championship with him at the helm to sort things out from top to bottom or just about avoiding the drop under a crap manager with more of the same frustrating Shyte next season?

• 25 bettyswallocks // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Jib once made 3 correct guesses consecutively and thus established himself as an expert.

• 26 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM

I would have to say that I suspect Jib is, in short, suspiciously antidisestablishmentarianistic.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Hahahahaha -well at least I get a good laugh……….
    the Jib Appreciation Society.

I think I would not be far off the mark to guess who would be in the Society.
    Ian Toon
    Welsh
    Any other hypocritical knacker who converses with him and turns a blind eye to his foul abuse.

For turns a blind eye – also read.
    I wasn’t on the blog that day.
    His posts are good.
    I crossed the road to the other side.
    I was out shopping.
    I do not care if he insults others.
    etc etc etc.-

• 28 Tsunki // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:54 PM

…don’t forget ” I quite enjoy some of his football facts”

• 29 Thump // Apr 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I quite enjoy some of his football facts

• 30 bettyswallocks // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:01 AM

An intelligent person can actually make a more stupid statement than an idiot. The idiot is limited to his imbecility.

• 31 bettyswallocks // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Well I think Jib is a gross ignoramus. That makes him 144 times worse than a normal ignoramus.

• 32 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Ashley of course has put substantial money in, just not as wisely as he should have. So the willingness is there as well as the capacity. He’s also ultimately responsible, and while many would argue he’s a rogue, I wouldn’t agree. His ultimate goal and first priority may well be profitability, but it seems very unlikely he’s actively tried to undermine the club along the way. I think he’s tried to straddle both the well being of the club and it’s profitability, and failed, certainly in the former endeavour, but that doesn’t mean he’ll quit on it. Whether his ambitions would match Benitez’s is would be the greater sticking point I think.

• 33 Back Door Man // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM

previously posted …

98% of the stuff posted on here is clearly bollocks. All the the talk about the players’ contracts, Manuel’s contract, Ashley’s intentions, and so on, is only guesswork by the uninformed, and what research (if any!) that might be carried out is from other dodgy websites. All the real stuff is covered by commercial confidentiality so the details aren’t in the public domain for those here to feast on. Yep, all the guff being spouted here helps pass the time but it’s all gobshite.

Anyway, we’re going on an winning run to survival … starting Saturday!

• 34 SPRINGY // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM

jimmy
    he is a money driven man,but i cant really knock him for the money he has invested this season,unfortunately the two knackers and the wally have made a bollick of it,if he was to invest again with benitez at the helm or not,whether we stay up or go down,would go a long way to try to prove he knows he’s dropped almighty clangers in the past,but then again he could be just taking the piss in one way or another….alot will happen in the summer

• 35 SPRINGY // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:49 AM

back door
    hope ya right,be nice to see a win……its been a while!lol

• 36 bettyswallocks // Apr 9, 2016 at 12:51 AM

Jimmy………..If we hadn’t have gone on the disastrous run under McC I assume we wouldn’t have brought Rafa in and would have continued to muddle along .It remains to be seen whether he decides to stay but if he does and is given the authority required to fix things then I suppose it is one small blessing to offset the disappointment of this season.
    I agree with your thoughts on Ashley preferring a winning team to a losing one under the confines of making the club profitable.

• 37 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:10 AM

The amount of investment over 8-9 years has been quite substantial, if patchy, not just the most recent one. It’s been the manner of the investment, rather than the size of it, that far more justifies criticism I think. He’s tried everything else and failed, he might think throwing his lot in with Rafa, even if expensive, is now his best bet, given the money now on offer in the EPL. The landscape has changed.

• 38 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Gobshite is a bit harsh. There are many thoughtful and informed posters on here. analysing events and drawing conclusions. It’s a peerless football blog I imagine, thanks to Ed’s dedication, and the devotion of the posters, but we can ultimately only make our best guesses though, but that’s not gobshite.

• 39 lesh // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Bettys

Jib’s use of logic….., 😀

• 40 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:22 AM

I am going to bed now but I will just leave this thought behind as I slip into my hardened underground bunker.

If Jib didn’t exist and I am not altogether convinced that he does, Then there would have to be someone else for people to vent their spleen on.

OK he is not perfect but then who is?

The biblical quote comes to mind that:-

Let he who is without sin cast the first. stone.

Jib in his many (or not) forms is a necessary aspect of any blog and personally find him interesting and amusing. The blog would be duller without him so you can add me to his appreciation society.

Anyway having got that out of the way I would rather Palace lose this weekend as I think they are more catch-able than Norwich who seem to be doing the Leicester thing at the moment. I reckon its still between us and Sunderland for the third relegation spot with CP and AV.

Night all

• 41 lesh // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:24 AM

Jimmy

Both Ashley and SD have had a lot of negative media attention of late and because of that, Ashley’ll be keen to brush his image up.

That might account for Rafa’s presence and the reported review of the Club’s plight and possibly signal the start of a real interest in Newcastle United.

Right, another G&T’s called for!

• 42 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:39 AM

Jib posted a great youtube video of Bowie’s “Queen Bitch” to mark that sad and recent passing.

So if you don’t always fancy his posts, you can at the very least admire him for that, and his taste in music.

He also provides a valuable counterpoint to the predominately anti Ashley sentiment on here, and whether he’s right or wrong, that’s ok in my view too.

• 43 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:48 AM

I find it quite amazing how certain people feel it’s a win we have now got benitez when the reality is we are going down regardless
    the irony is we got rid of pardew to supposedly stop this happening and we then get relegated with a top manager!
    Steve got the blame too! Amazing that as well seen as he has had the same problems as benitez all season but no it was his fault too!
    How about everyone and every fan starts pointing the finger at the person that is way out of his depth!
    And has been since he was appointed!
    LC are his initials how about a stadium chanting for him to do one!
    Might be a start hey?
    Ridiculous that I have seen people slag of Mclaren and then slag of the entire squad for the same just because benitez is in charge
    ya can’t have it both ways at all!

• 44 Mister Tuff // Apr 9, 2016 at 1:59 AM

Jimmy you conveniently (apparently) do not comment on Jibs’ abuse.
    Calling folk abusive names is in my view not ok.
    Having robust humour on a football blog is fine in my view – but abuse from the gutter is not.

• 45 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:04 AM

Mmm but winding people up after a loss is ok on a fan blog!

• 46 Mister Tuff // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:14 AM

manx was that directed at me or not.

• 47 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Of course it was!!
    Remember!?

• 48 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:20 AM

Oh was that a question btw?
    Ya forgot the ?!

• 49 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:29 AM

Agreed, but this is an entirely anonymous blog, so where is the real harm, especially when it is so vigorously countered, as it always is by those involved, and when Ed is also monitoring it.

• 50 Mister Tuff // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:31 AM

Please be so kind as to remind me of my indiscretion.

• 51 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:39 AM

Mmm well it seems you actually are the arse i thought you were
    if ya can’t remember crowing after losses then god help ya!

• 52 ascot7 // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:41 AM

Newcastle fans have a flaw in there dna. The Anguls who left Northern Germany to colonize Geordie Land. Have a hook in there heads. Sorry guys,it’s true. Angeles meaning hook in German. To on have to be patient. And not so demanding. yes; the team is failed in the head, get a shrink in. and Bennit has to stop them drinking and nesting for all the 7 games. or at least the night before the game. signing off from a proud George boy.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:48 AM

manx – I do not think I would be winding people up after a loss – as suggested by you. You could prove me wrong by evidence.

Jimmy Savilles’ driver was from the Isle of Man -did you know him at all ????

• 54 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 2:51 AM

Oh yeah i forgot that was you just having a laugh and joke yeah? Not serious at all? Cigars the lot?
    Straight after a loss like you were reveling in it? Yeah great joke Mr tuff but we are now getting relegated under a top top manager so maybe the people who said the players are at fault might be right hey?
    Or was it just the manager???

• 55 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 3:01 AM

Mr tuff really!!!!?
    So your associating me with the monster Mr Saville!??!!!
    Let alone a driver!! Ffs!

If you can’t remember it then have a look back ya self and why the hell would i bring it up if it wasn’t true?
    Exploding cigars and all that crowing and all that remember now!?
    Litterally straight after a loss you loved it so don’t try and hide I just hope others remember it!!!?

• 56 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 3:24 AM

Oh yeah how could i forget the ladies wrestling! For supporters who thought we could win
    just fun again I suppose not antagonising?

• 57 manxpie // Apr 9, 2016 at 3:39 AM

Mister Tuff // Nov 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM

One or two on here are certainly making up for lost time in hailing King Percy as the best thing sinced sliced bread.
    I would advocate an element of caution as, whilst a winning run is excellent, it is only a fraction of the games where out play has been woeful.
    So for those giving it large at the moment and taking a puff on their celebratory cigars – beware as there is always the possibility of the exploding cigar.

thats after a winning run!!

but yeah your not antagonistic are you mr tuff!?
    course not just a great all round poster yeah ????

• 58 willowdalerez // Apr 9, 2016 at 4:26 AM

If we don’t stay up, Rafa’s gone. All his ra ra talk is to rouse the fans and squad so he can get the most support out of us and drive out of them. It’s a psychological ploy nothing more. Ed and the rest on here who think he might stay if we go down are dreaming, sweet dreams yes, but nothing more than that and if we do go down the hangover will only be harder for it.

• 59 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 9, 2016 at 7:10 AM

It was interesting to read Pearson say Leicester changed when they found the right formation to suit his players. perhaps after 3 years of failure it’s time we changed from 42311. its clearly not working. For starters you need two attacking wingers who can score and create, but also defend. We have sissoko and townsend. I hope rafa either plays 3 at the back or 2 upfront. maybe if we change what we’re doing we will get different results

• 60 Ian Toon // Apr 9, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Jimmy Smith –
    Below – John Wardle – writing in The Times today 9/4/16- It lifted my spirit and we can only hope. Certainly might prevent going into the abyss.

Rafa Benítez has identified a psychological barrier that stands between his Newcastle United players and survival in the Barclays Premier League as they prepare for today’s game away to Southampton. The manager insisted yesterday that he is happy with the “quality” of his players and the way that they approach training, but is less impressed by what happens in matches.
    Benítez says that too many of them, including experienced internationals, are unable to cope with pressure. “The team, I can guarantee, are giving everything in every training session, but we have to stop the mental block that they have,” he said. “They are a little bit blocked and we need to change this.
    “The quality is there — some players are quite good and they have to show this quality on the pitch. When you have a problem during the game, we need to manage in a different way. We have to be stronger mentally and that, for me, will change everything because in every training session, you can see how they work.
    “Physically, they are fine. Mentally when we are training, you can see that they are trying. But, when you go into a game and you know how important it is and what it means for the club and for the fans, and you have something against you, then you have to react.”
    Benítez is being tipped as a possible successor to Vicente del Bosque, the Spain coach who retires in the summer, but insisted yesterday that he has no regrets about taking the Newcastle job.
    “I am the Newcastle manager and I want to be the Newcastle manager next year,” he said. “It is flattering, for sure. Del Bosque is my friend — I was his assistant when he was with the first team at Real Madrid. He knows how I work but still, I think I’ll be here for a while.”

previous post: Newcastle’s Surprisingly Improving Injury Situation

next post: Is This Newcastle´s Strongest Side For Southampton?