The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Bentiez Makes Passionate Plea To Newcastle Fans

11:34 pm, Sunday, April 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

As we expected Rafa has come out and made what is a passionate and real plea  to Newcastle fans to stay with the team and support the players.

That’s even though there is every reason in the world to be furious with some of our players because of their lack of commitment, passion and character at Southampton on Saturday.

The victims in this Newcastle calamity – caused by inept and incompetent people running the club – and players who don’t seem to care – are the fans.

The fans do care – they care a lot – they are the passionate ones – and it has been all too painful over these last few seasons – especially the last 17 months or so.

The poor fans are those who always suffer the most.

two young Newcastel fans today

Two young Newcastle fans
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa is asking for them to keep supporting the team – and we do have four home games remaining and our lads will surely play a lot better at St. James’ Park when roared on by 52,000 mad screaming Geordies.

This is what Rafa has said:

“The fans will be crucial for us.” “We need them pushing the players and supporting the players, and at the end of the season we will have time to analyze what was going wrong.”

“At the moment it is just a single mistake, an individual mistake, that is killing the team mentally. So we have to be sure that for the next game we don’t make mistakes at the beginning.”

“And hopefully we get chances and we can score and it will all be different.”

If we can have four sell-outs and Newcastle still get relegated – then at least the fans give it all they had – and we will show the rest of the football world that Newcastle have the best fans anywhere.

And who knows, that level of commitment may even force Rafa to stay on Tyneside to put things right.

What does he mean when he says at the end of the season we will have time to analyze what was going wrong?

It’s extremely difficult for Newcastle fans right now – but let’s try to keep supporting Rafa and the players – you never know – perhaps a miracle can still happen if we all do that.

Tags: Coaching · Prayer · Premier League · Press

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 stan anderson // Apr 11, 2016 at 12:31 AM

So sad at present position of my club.
    My 11 year old grandson had a chance of a ticket for a match and did not want to go.
    These kids are the future of NUFC and they dont want to go.
    Get to grips Ashley,you are supposed to be a clever man.
    Seem a bit of a thick twat to me .
    As well as a slug.
    Ashley and nobheads OOT

• 2 beefman13 // Apr 11, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Since MA bought NUFC it has caused nothing but friction to the supporters and the city itself,

• 3 Munster Mag // Apr 11, 2016 at 12:57 AM

How arrogant of wiji to spout that crap after the game, given his total lack of effort in the last few months. Beggars belief really.

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 11, 2016 at 12:57 AM

The fans need something to shout about!!

• 5 jimmysmith // Apr 11, 2016 at 1:22 AM

I think it could still be touch and go. Sunderland and Norwich are just as dire, and we have four home games in six, another away to Villa, players we know who have another gear or two, and an elite manager. If we go down we’ll certainly deserve it, but it’s far from over.

• 6 lesh // Apr 11, 2016 at 2:34 AM

For all Sunderland and Norwich may be dire, they seem to have fire in their bellies – something our players don’t!

• 7 lesh // Apr 11, 2016 at 2:36 AM

Something to shout about? How about ‘Sack the Board’ at the end of the season?

• 8 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 11, 2016 at 2:47 AM

beefman13@2 – That simple comment hits the nail on the head.

• 9 Magtoonpie // Apr 11, 2016 at 4:27 AM

I think Rafa just needs to come out and say that he is willing to stay at Newcastle especially if we take the drop tbis will motivate those willing to fight even further and expose those players who are just mercenaries. I think we all know who by now though. Unless Spain comes knocking I think he will stay pending a good contract renewal of course. If we do go down we def need to clean house and I believe he wants that challenge. Unless he gets a sweet deal club and money wise he has no reason to leave this thing unfinished until he has tried everything. I believe hes that kind of gent.

• 10 cyprus // Apr 11, 2016 at 7:05 AM

On previous comment re me, I thought you use legitimate points to support your stance. I’m guessing it’s nerves, but I’ve lost my patience as well. Still, I won’t reciprocate and insult you.

• 11 Toon_Tom // Apr 11, 2016 at 7:54 AM

how about the players do something for us in return!!!

Bunch of useless, heartless tospots the lot of them.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:00 AM

That was the worst performance so far under Rafa. Hardly inspiring any confidence that he can turn it around, and any bounce effect he had on morale has quickly dissipated with the results. For the first time this season I think relegation is now far more likely than not.

I think he needs Colo fit ASAP, the defence certainly hasn’t improved without him. Janmaat needs to be dropped, I said this a while ago, but I think our best bet of clean sheets is using Mbemba as a right back with Colo and Lascelles central.

It certainly can’t help morale when certain players who have continually talked about leaving under perform week in week out, but still get selected ahead of others.

• 13 sing in the corner // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM

To cut a long story short it’s as you were at the bottom after this weekend. All 4 lost,just one game less to save it. Never thought I’d say this but Colo in for Taylor, who does need to be put out to grass now. Colback centre mid with Shelvey.
    And on to the next ‘must win game’.
    Keep believing…

• 14 Thump // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:04 AM

@Munster: what’s Gini said like? Haven’t heard anything from any of them short of Lascelles and Townsend.

• 15 posada // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM

I don’t think Rafa realised just how rotten the attitude of some of these players would be.
    But, as Lilongwe points out at 12 they still get selected.
    I had hoped he would have picked up on this quickly and sorted them out.
    Even a very good manager is vulnerable in these situations. Some of this lot see themselves as already out the door.

• 16 sing in the corner // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:09 AM

I agree, drop janmaat. He’s not alone, but he heads the list of examples to make. Not that that tactic is as effective as it used to be. Players are filthy rich, have little affinity with local pride, and can’t be described as hungry any more.
    But drop him anyway, I’d rather see a kid could me in and at least bust a gut for the cause.

• 17 sing in the corner // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Sissoko the same. Sleeping nag your hook. And Wij would be on a last chance,because it’s a home game and he has occasionally turned up for these.

• 18 sing in the corner // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:12 AM

*sling your hook!!

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Gini quotes in link

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM

It’s all very well saying drop Wijnaldum and Sissoko but who for? The squad is thread bare again, if not in numbers then quality. People ringing up John Anderson on Saturday to say play the U21’s, they are shot as well having conceded more goals than anyone in their division by a mile. Throw Gouffran in, no way. Aarons is all hype so far and little product.
    Not sure what is the best result for us on Saturday, I think if we can beat Swansea then a draw is probably best but if we mess it up again we have to hope that Norwich win and bring the mackems with us. Is it a good thing that they have an early kick off.

• 21 posada // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Dear Rafa,

Don’t worry I will be there on Saturday and will give you and the team my full support.

The only thing is mate you simply cannot pick these players. Namely Janmaat, Sissoko, Wijnaldum.
    To do so would be an insult to me and all my fellow supporters.

Why not pick this team and at least have a go.

Mbemba Collo Lascelles Dummet

Townsend Shelvey Colback Aarons

Mitro Doumbia

• 22 posada // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Aarons is all about potential. But I can tell you this. Selecting Wijnaldum is like playing with just 9 out field players. 8 1/2 actually if you play Sissoko.

• 23 hibbitt // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Jail for Ashley

the only result that counts on saturday is us winning the other games we have no control of and they will care of themselves …. if we don’t show up its over no matter what the results are elsewhere

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 11, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I wouldn’t drop Wijnaldum just yet. I’d prefer to see him play right instead of Sissoko though, and move Townsend to the left. That way we have two players out wide who are naturally able to deliver from wide areas into the box. Something Rafa has talked about often, but then played inverted wingers better suited to cutting in.

De Jong would start ahead of Sissoko in the more advanced central midfield role. After that it depends whether you look to play two up front, in which case Mitro with Perez/Cisse and Shelvey in the deeper midfield role or 2 deep midfielders in which case Mitro starts with De Jong playing closer to him and Shelvey with Tiote/Colback in the centre.

Defence is much more difficult due to injuries, but we need Colo back asap, and Lascelles should be ahead of Taylor (not sure why Rafa thought best to put Saylor ahead of Lascelles at the weekend). Mbemba to right back to make us more solid, and Lascelles with Colo centrally.

• 25 scout // Apr 11, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Anyone who was at Southampton know the players dont care. Shelvey was the biggest offender for me he never runs flat out.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Wijnaldum is one of the main culprits of under performing and lacking consistency though, which makes his comments strange regarding performance and effort from others.

I guess the fact he was Dutch player of the year last year just demonstrates the gulf in class and style of play between the two leagues.

• 27 posada // Apr 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Mitro starting with De Jong.
    That would be dreadful.
    I’m quicker than both of them.
    Did you not watch Vardy play yesterday.
    Without pace up front you are done for.

previous post: Benitez Lays Down The Law With Players – Things Must Change