The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

With Rafa – There’s Method In His Madness

12:30 pm, Wednesday, April 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

To quote Shakespeare from Hamlet –  there’s method in Rafa Benitez’ madness recently – when he allowed his players to argue both at half time and at full time in the disgrace that was the 3-1 defeat at Southampton on Saturday afternoon – Newcastle’s 14th defeat in 17 away games in the league this season – so far.

Aston Villa must be rubbing their hands in glee that they could actually get a win at home on May 7th, when they play Newcastle at Villa Park, and both teams should be relegated by then.

Daryl+Janmaat+Newcastle+United+v+F+C+Bournemouth+TKN8Bb2DvKul

Daryl Janmaat – I fought the wall and the wall won

Of course on Saturday Rafa didn’t expect Daryl Janmaat to take the wall on and come off second best with two broken fingers – but there’s no planning when somebody does something as daft as that.

I fought the wall and the wall won – but after all Daryl does play for Newcastle.

🙂

There are various reports that Rafa allowed his players ample latitude to argue amongst themselves at half-time and at full time at Southampton.

It seems Rafa was pleased (and a little shocked?) to see some passion from his players, since he didn’t see any of that on the pitch – that’s for sure.

The news is that the arguments were often furious and of course 22 year Jamal Lascelles now looks a star – when he told the players they didn’t have the guts to play for Newcastle.

Good for him and certainly his BBC interview immediately after the game was one of the best we’ve seen in a long time, if only because of his complete honesty in telling the unvarnished truth.

Hopefully those arguments will release the passion that we think (hope?) is in there somewhere in the Newcastle players.

If that passion isn’t released soon most of them will be playing in the Championship next season, but only those who cannot make a clean getaway in the summer.

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Injuries · Management · Other News · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Wayayman // Apr 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM

For anyone thinking or worried about formations, I urge you to watch this utterly brilliant video from the master and the man who really invented modern football. I’m a keen student of coaching and have to say that this opened my eyes. Bear with it to the end, it’s worth it.

I met the great man last September when I was photographing a two day event that he attended. I was introduced to hm on the 1st day by a mutual friend and we chatted briefly about football and Newcastle (obviously) On the second day he made this six foot four, 45 year old lad from Byker feel like a child again when he came over and greeted me with a hug and a smile as wide as the Swing Bridge. I’ll never forget it.

• 2 hibbitt // Apr 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM

who in there right mind would drop townsend and play oberton i don’t believe some of the tripe people put on here

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Apr 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM

toon kk,
    You keep absolving the managers from any blame but the last three patsies are as much to blame for this sorry mess as those that employed and instructed them. Pardew, Carver and Mclaren all had chances to influence transfers but agreed to work under this unworkable policy that Mashley has dreamed up. Pardew had numerous chances, Carver could have said he’d only take the job if he could buy a couple of defenders instead of watching Santon leave. Mclaren was even on the board that decided we didn’t need to strengthen the defence. So whether it be greed or desperation every manager has been part of the problem.

• 4 killit the bulb // Apr 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM

How about a bit of Geordie gallows humour on Saturday. Instead of “Local Hero” Have them running onto the turf to the” Mission Impossible” theme.Any other suitable themes let,s have them boys. K.

• 5 hibbitt // Apr 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM

the whole dam lot are to blame none of them should escape the responsibility of relegation at there hands not many of this lot will come out of this with there reputations intact

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Apr 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Killit,
    Don’t let the sun go down on me.

• 7 c-dog // Apr 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Wouldn’t mind if any of the following players leave(although Championship is probably their level):
    Taylor
    Coloccini
    Mbemba
    Haidara
    Anita
    De Jong
    Sissoko
    Wijnaldum
    Obertan
    Gouffran
    Riviere
    Thauvin
    Cisse
    Townsend

The clear-out has been needed for some time. Graham Carr must be cleared out with. He has not hit a player since the days of Cabaye & Tiote(When I say days, I mean that one day).

• 8 toon kk // Apr 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Jail
    I agree with you on the managers have to take a share of the blame, but to work for MA there would be a contract to sign which would be agreeing to the regime.

My point is the players were brought in by an inept board set up by MA with the intention to just keep us up and make millions selling on players. (Flawed)

But the players have to take responsibility for their own downfall, they’ve been woeful for every manager including Rafa, the work rate, lack of effort and couldn’t care less attitude is totally clear to see. There are so many players which lack so much quality they can’t be helped but could work harder, our better player’s only turn up occasionally and are either let down by team mates or just not sticking to there duties which they supposed too.
    Rafa is clearly upset by our players letting him and us down.

• 9 Sir Braveheart // Apr 13, 2016 at 1:38 PM

I get that people disagree about the positives of being relegated and I can understand what your saying. However I don’t think a clear out of players will happen without relegation, regardless of the manager.

We’ve had several years of buying average players with no fight. Do you see that changing if we stay up? I can’t see is doing anything more than buying more square pegs for our round holed squad.

My hope with relegation is that some leave by choice, some don’t have contracts renewed and what we’re left with are the players who want to fight and be part of something.

For example if we stay up Sissoko will stay. If we get relegated he’ll go. I can’t forsee a scenario where we stay up and he’s sold on. So we’d be in for another year of watching his displays. I’d love to be wrong about this and Rafas going to clear the decks, but he won’t.

I agree on the money point though, yes we’d lose out a lot and we’d fall behind potentially. Except all I’m going to say on the matter of money and the importance of having more is this – Leicester City.

previous post: Can Newcastle Start Revival By Beating Swansea On Saturday?

next post: Newcastle Disorganized – Is That Really A Surprise?