The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle United Given Yet Another Black Mark

4:17 pm, Thursday, April 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

News coming through that  Jonas Gutierrez has won his disability discrimination case against Newcastle United.

Jonas claimed £2M in compensation but another hearing is  to be scheduled to determine the actual compensation.

Jonas said that we did not play him after he contacted testicular cancer in 2013 in a bid by the club to avoid giving him an automatic extension to his contract.

There were a number of starts he was to reach to automatically trigger a one year contract extension and Jonas and his lawyers had claimed Newcastle did not play him so that the number of starts that would trigger the new deal were never be reached.

jonas gutierrez after scoring west ham

Jonas Gutierrez – after scoring against West Ham – yes!

This is (yet) another black mark against our club.

Jonas was signed from Real Mallorca in 2008 and he ended up playing 205 games for Newcastle with 12 goals.

We will never forget the magnificent game the Argentine International had on the final day of last season when he made one and scored on in the 2-0 home win against West Ham.

In our last relegation season it just so happens that former manager Kevin Keegan won a £2M settlement for wrongful dismissal, which is kind of interesting.

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM

I wonder if we will see anything that doesn’t resemble embarrassment from our club. Everything just seems like a laughing stock.

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM

I’ll jump back on the merry go round when it stops!

• 3 PUMMELLER // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:29 PM

my once loved club is dead – it is painful to be a Newcastle fan now – 9 wins since Pardew left says it all

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM

I wonder if the football god is taking the pee out of us, we were all wishing so hard for Villa to go down, that She has decided to punish us for our malice whilst granting our wishes.

• 5 giimps // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I’m wondering what Rafa is thinking now……….I bet he’s a little apprehensive over any “promises” Charnley and the board have made…..knowing they have all just lied in a court………interesting times.

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 14, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Lesh

I have never supported Burnley at all in my life, having said that it is pretty cool seeing people around my area enjoying the fact that Burnley are doing well. I live in a town called Barnoldswick or ‘barlick’ which is close to Burnley. So my actual home town club would be Barnoldswick town. However I never really looked into them.

My dad and older brother are both from Newcastle and through them I have grown a strong love for Newcastle, although I’m yet to really see anything that resembles glory from my club. Which is a shame, but this club just means so much, watching it die a slow death is really painful but knowing there’s not much I can do about it hurts more. But hey, we’re all in this together. I would never change allegiance from Newcastle. Never.

YoungMagpieFromBurnley
    April 14, 2016
    Martoon

Aye, I still live here mate. I really hope I’m wrong too but there just isn’t any fight in this squad. No leaders that will rally the troops when we concede or if we are playing bad. I think we will need that in the championship.

• 7 county down magpie // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Don’t worry about yourself changing allegiances young mag, there’ll be plenty on here who will

• 8 stuart no9 // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM

from last topic,
    so ash is expecting us to get relagated , thats why the advertising is up for grabs coz its worth sod all in the championship , i wonder if he will do the same if we get straight back up ??? hahahahha what do you think

• 9 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Never give up on the club. Never have, never will. But the owner has to go. No way around it. He is poison.

• 10 jimiley // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Wor Kev and Jonas.Next up will be Charmless for wrongful dismissal. We promised the fans we would win nowt and crap footy. I delivered on both counts. How come I am the fall guy?

• 11 job // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM

• 12 beefman13 // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Some result for Jonas, 2 million knicka.he always gave 100 per cent, im not doubting that, but he was god awful for the second half of his contract, stop start fall over, used to drive me crazy, i would not have played him and certainly not given him another contract, some result this is for the fella.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Scum to run the club. And we wonder why we’re a complete failure. I can’t see us being competitive in the Championship either if this group of maggots stays in charge.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Personally I think all players are overpaid. We have such a group of underachievers at the club that it’s become downright painful. Colo still faking an injury from a minor knock but still collecting his 60-70K a week. Janmaat breaking his hand and running away when the going gets tough. Wijnaldum disappearing in games we absolutely had to win. Sissoko crying about wanting to leave. It’s pathetic. And then there’s Doumbia and Saivet. What a clown show.

• 15 lochinvar // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:22 PM

So the Club are going to settle £2m on Jonas.
    At the same time we hear news that some offshoot of Ashley/Sports Direct are going to make some “arms length” payment to the club for ground advertising.

Any link here ?
    What will the Auditors say ?
    Are we missing something.

• 16 Moonraker15 // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:22 PM

I have reservations about this case. I didn’t agree with the way Carver informed Jonas to find another club; by phone call. However, if you look at the years he was here on 42k a week, we made him a millionaire and there really was no future for him and he’s now earning good money for very little in Spain. WTF! but typically the inept ones here cocked it up again!

• 17 lochinvar // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Janmatt was rumoured to have flicked a V at Ashley but there’s no evidence that he could do that…

• 18 lesh // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM

YoungMag

Aye, Burnley’s doing well and you must get some stick from Burnley fans.

Hang in there bonny lad

• 19 firebug666 // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Apart from Jonas winning his case, the rest seems to be a little dodgy.

Why arms length?
    How Much?
    Why now?
    What about the other companies?
    Who would want to buy advertising in Ashley’s company?

All seems a little strange to me.

• 20 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Jonas in his latter years was never as bad as people made out and even on his bad days, always, always, always, gave everything, was a good influence on the team and vocal.

On his comeback he played like a man possessed. Only player I’ve seen cover more of the pitch than him in his final game is Kante for Leicester. Should have been kept and named club captain.

• 21 lochinvar // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM

For a read on Jonas’ case

• 22 lesh // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Lochinvar

I suspect that they’re using the term ‘arms length’ to mean market rates will be the basis for payment. Don’t expect the zillions that Citeh got though. They’ve picked their time though, Championship advertising rates’ll be much cheaper than Prem.

• 23 lesh // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Firebug

Arms length’ll be shorthand for being seen to avoid a conflict of interest – Ashley negotiating with Ashley as it were.

• 24 firebug666 // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM

lesh

Ashley has zero scruples, he will do a deal that is best for Ashley, will the club gain any benefit? I doubt it, Will SD gain? There is no doubting that, they already do and that will continue, Will Mash Holdings gain? most assuredly they will.

Newcastle will most likely receive a small sum, to add to their float in the championship, this way fat mike will be able to keep his hands in his pockets and offer us nothing in monetary terms just like he promised.

Arms length could also be just out of reach. lol

• 25 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM

This is what happens when idiots run a club. Nothing but controversy and negative rumours flying about. It’s been a disaster. Coming to this point says a lot about everybody who’s been at the club before Rafa. He’s probably never seen the likes of it. Personally I hope to never see the likes of it again either but that will depend on Ashley selling up.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:46 PM

EGB – previous reply re the advertising. I would suspect that knowing this lot, I would be surprised in NUFC get more out of this deal that Mr Tubbs/SD. There’ll be a twist to it somewhere along the line.

• 27 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:48 PM

I would put Rafa in charge of everything related to football at the club and give him as much money as I could. If he wants to hire someone to be DoF that would be up to him. Within 2 seasons we would be back to the Prem and on our way up.

• 28 Sir Braveheart // Apr 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM

From the BBC report:

Managing director Charnley’s evidence was described as “evasive and lacking in credibility”

Sounds about right in all matters Charnley.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Apr 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Charnley represents what Ashley sees as a good executive for the club. Evasive and lacking in credibility. Yes, that sounds absolutely correct.

previous post: A Big Surprise From Mike Ashley