The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Top Player Has Disappointed – Wants To Do Better

9:50 am, Friday, April 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Most Newcastle fans would agree that Moussa Sissoko has had another poor season, where the 35 times capped French International has promised much but given little.

In his 33 games for Newcastle this season in all competitions he has only 5 assists and no goals – with his last goal for the club coming in the last game of last season.

That´s simply not good enough for a player of Moussa’s ability.

Moussa Sissoko – another disappointing season

He has given a long interview to the Chronicle today and the Frenchman hints he needs to do better in the final six games of this season:

“The most important thing as a footballer is the next game that is coming..” “You use the time to prepare for the game and the next one is Swansea..”

“We need to do everything to win this game..” “If we win it can be massive for us because Sunderland play at Norwich..” “Somebody is going to lose points and we can make a step forward into the right direction..”

“It’s a massive game for everybody – but we must make sure we win..” “We have to prepare but I am sure we will be ready for Swansea.”

“Now, we know with six games left and we have to give everything. You can’t go beyond the next game.”

“It’s game by game for us, it’s six finals. You try to win the first, then the second and so on – that’s it.”

“For me the most important thing is that the team wins.” “If I score or somebody else does, I’m happy. I like to score and give assists.”

“This season I have not done what I want to do, but it’s not finished yet. We have six games left.” “So I hope I will score some goals before the end and give some assists.”

“But the main thing is we win games.” “If I play well and somebody else scores that’s also good for me.”

Moussa was signed from Toulouse back in January 2013 and since then he has played 127 times for the club with 11 goals and 18 assists.

But overall he has been disappointing, even though he’s always been an automatic choice for the first team.

Maybe Moussa can do something for us tomorrow – like score a goal or make one –  or play well?

We expect Moussa, along with Gini Wijnaldum and Daryl Janmaat at least, to be some of the players who will exit the club this summer.

Where Newcastle go from there we have no idea.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM

In another part of the interview he says his best position is central midfield !? Maybe just maybe lets try him one more time there this weekend and play Wijnaldum wide right who I think would be best suited to there as he can ghost in at the back post for any of Townsend’s crosses

Put De Jong , Shelvey and Sissoko as the middle 3 see how it goes

• 2 stuart no9 // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM

stuart no9 // Apr 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM

we are not down yet ,
    3 poinrts v swansea
    1 point v city
    1 point v liverpool
    3 points v palace
    3 v villa
    3 v spurs coz leicester have won the title,
    another 14 points will be enough to keep us up
    AND raffa stays

Of course we can still do it

• 3 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Who is going to start at the back tomorrow?
    Janmaat has already come out with his excuses, which leaves us with Anita as the only choice.
    Hairdryer, Dummett and Mbabu are all crocked, so presumably we will go with Colback, who in my opinion is a liability at LB. No positional sense, always want to make that lunging tackle rather than standing his man up.
    Colo is a snake and does not want anything to do with a relegation battle. Taylor is a liability. So we have Lascelles who has impressed with his determination and Mbemba.
    Centrally we are OK. The right and left worry me however. And you can be sure that Swansea are going to target the wide areas.

• 4 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Is Dummett not back fit now? He was on the bench at Southampton

Anita at right back for me looks a lot more solid than Janmaat at the moment Montero would end up getting Janmaat sent off again like the last time we played Swansea ……

• 5 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:31 AM

@Lee Charnley Bunga Party

I have been hearing conflicting reports about Dummett all week. Here’s hoping he is available. Not the flashiest player in the world, but he is at least an average defender.

• 6 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM

He is what we need at the moment though a guy who importantly wants to defend ! Not fly forward leaving gaps everywhere thats what our wingers should be doing !

I am going to the game tomorrow but I have a really bad feeling about it especially the fact that we will know the result of the Norwich Sunderland game before we play !

• 7 Tsunki // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Leave out sissoko and you have a better team shape, better understanding and less waste. Mark my words! Leave out the horse!

• 8 Ron Knee // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Would it not be simpler to give Swansea a two-goal start and begin the match in the second half?

• 9 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Media management team need to update their choice of scripts for the players, this cup final and concentrating on the next one only is old hat.

I like how Sissoko says with only six games left, we must NOW give everything.

On him playing CM, I’ve been saying it for months. He’s best coming from deep, especially on the counter. His bursts of pace and power break the lines and he can offload the ball to other players to make the final ball or take a shot. To those that say he can’t tackle, he’s done a better job of it than most our LBs aside from Dummet when put there.

Shelvey could do with the legs around him also

• 10 Tsunki // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Mike – “well, that would embarrassing. How come you didn’t know Gutierrez was an International, Lee?”

Graeme – “Whoa don’t look at me I gave him the list”

Lee – “Who’s Gutierrez?”

• 11 Tsunki // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM

There’s a small problem with these cup finals. There isn’t a worse team than us that we can play against. Maybe not even villa.

• 12 Tsunki // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Bit of a test for Man City against Real Madrid eh? That’ll soon highlight the quality of a top PL side

• 13 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM

@ Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    It is going to be interesting at St. James’ Park tomorrow! The atmosphere could indeed be toxic, even before a ball is kicked.

A lot of people on here slate Dummett. He is nothing special, but at least he understands his limitations and tries to focus on simply defending.

I really hope Sissoko is not played wide left however. I think he needs to sit this one out. I have never seen a footballer with a worse first touch, or footballing brain.

• 14 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM

@ Hail Wor Ashley

Sissoko in CM would be an unmitigated disaster. He has no first touch, no passing ability and no end product. What do you expect to get by playing him in there? A couple of Kevin Kilbane-esque surges forward to get the crowd on the edge of their seats? He is more likely to forget to bring the ball with him, or trip over it.

• 15 hkToon // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Why we don’t just play to Mitro strength by putting crosses in the box?

Bench useless Sissoko and play Gini on the right.

• 16 Toon Tang // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Fcuk off moussa, your birthday is my least favourite day of the year you plum.

Drop the dead donkey before its rotting maggot infested corpse starts to stench too heavily.

• 17 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 11:57 AM

@ hkToon
    Gini hardly lights up the world with his wide play. When he has played out wide, he has been largely anonymous.

Although come to think of it, he has been totally anonymous for the second half of the season…

• 18 Toon Tang // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Would rather play with 10 bastard men

• 19 Toon Tang // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Keep those defeat votes coming lads and lasses, we may stand half a chance.

• 20 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM

If you haven’t noticed the team is an unmitigated disaster and has been all season. It’s his best position and to say he can’t pass, who on our team can with any consistency? Shelvey is our best passer and even he looks drunk most of the time.

We don’t have methodical play to hang our hopes on, that’s been demonstrated enough, so yes, moments like sudden surges straight through the heart from Sissoko, that leave their shape in tatters and cause panic is a potential weapon. When he does them on the flanks they cause much less damage.

• 21 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:04 PM

I really worry about Shelvey tomorrow if he plays in a midfield 2 with Wijnaldum and Swansea run rings around them with their little triangles of passing he is probably going to lose the rag and get sent off or get booked which would mean a 2 game suspension because he is on 9 yellows?

We need a middle 3 of some sort with plenty of energy and willingness to get stuck in no matter what

I just hope Benitez does ring the changes tomorrow some will be forced but Taylor better be dropped for good !!

• 22 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM

trouble is against Southampton, we had two fullbacks who are more like wing backs. and none of our midfielders or wingers are known for their live of defending. by my reckoning we had 2 players who are defence minded and one was Taylor who now just looks like a fat pitch invader. With colback and Dummett back in the squad that means we are up to 4 players who will defend. perhaps 5 if mbabu or lascelles play left back. That leaves 4 players who contribute going forwards and sissoko who contributes to looking big and strong. A much better balance overall. especially considering rafa likes to defend

• 23 Toon Tang // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

“Fat pitch invader”

• 24 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Saying that, if he was dropped I wouldn’t be bothered either, just don’t want to see him on either wing more than anything. Rafa will play 4-2-3-1 and with Colback returning Sissoko could miss out if SDJ is given the nod, a big if, because I think Rafa gets all brave after a loss and his thinking turns to switching it up, but then as the week goes by reverts to the same old.

If SDJ doesn’t start it’s either piss poor management or he really can’t play high intensity from the start for some medical reason.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM

The trouble is we’ve had a man who doesn’t even know how many internationals we have in our squad deciding that we can spend 13M on a Thauvin or Cabella but £5.5M is too expensive for a CB or LB?

• 26 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Is Dummett not right footed? And what on Mbabu? Is he back tomorrow?
    Why not switch it up and get Dummett in RB and Mbabu in LB. Both can defend, Mbabu is good going forward and would actually be a balanced back 4. Thoughts?

• 27 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Hail Wor Ashley
    You are right, we have been a disaster all season. I still do not see the benefit of having Sissoko horsing through the centre rather than horsing down the flanks. Mitro is not the kind of player who will be able to profit on this anyway, so it will all come to nothing.
    I would rather focus on getting the ball out wide to Townsend. He has shown he can deliver a cross.

• 28 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I now regret given you a reply. Not worth the effort if you think Dummet is right-footed.

• 29 bladeuser // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Who the hell cares anymore get a life and and find other things to do besides spending hundreds on second rate players who play for a second rate club owned by a moron
    The sooner relegation happens the better we have stunk out the epl for to long

• 30 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Hail Wor Ashley
    Yeah because not knowing the footedness of a player who spends most time in a prone position on the treatment table is a cardinal sin, right?

• 31 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM

mbabu lascelles mbemba Dummett
    ………….shelvey sissoko (since he is undroppable)
    townsend…mitrovic…wijnaldum (ditto)

preferably id have de jong, saivet or anita instead of sissoko as they can pass and build up play.

• 32 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 12:36 PM

You’re obviously either a casual or stupid. Dummet always plays LB when he plays and even gets stick for being so one-footed (left-footed to be clear). FFS, some people.

• 33 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:08 PM

@Hair Wor Ashley
    I am neither casual nor stupid. I dont see how my being either is “obvious”. How presumptuous of you!
    I have (tried) to support NUFC since the heady days of the 91/92 season. Despite not living locally, I also try to make it to a game or two a year.
    It may come as a surprise, but I in fact have better things to be doing then studying the details of each and every player we have in our ranks.
    I am however fed up with this malaise. I am fed up with witnessing the rubbish NUFC produce week in, week out. I am fed up with the mismanagement of the club. I am fed up with individuals like you, who feel it within their right to criticize every one on this blog, regardless of their opinion.

• 34 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:09 PM

@Hail Wor Ashley
    As I recall, Dummett has also played numerous times at CB. Just a petty clarification there.

• 35 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM

If you watch Newcastle with any regularity, you should know Dummet is left-footed, it’s so obvious that I feel dumb having to come down to this level and explain it. You are stupid if you can’t take in that bit of information through observation, even after watching him once at LB, which is where he has played for a long time now, there’s no way you could come to any other conclusion, unless you’re inattentive or stupid – it’s the truth, deal with it!

• 36 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Even when he is sparingly played CB he always uses his left-foot, so that’s moot.

The blog is better off without the likes of you. Dummet being left-footed and you being one of the few, if not only NUFC fan that didn’t know that for certain, makes you of little worth. I mean it’s pretty basic stuff, so why should I care what you have to say on any other NUFC matters?

• 37 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Hail Wor Ashley
    If I was to be petty and perfunctory, I would comment that if you were a true supporter, you would know that Dummett spells his surname with a double t, but I won’t.

• 38 EllaGuru // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Hail Wor Ashley
    So the blog should revolve around you and your high browed opinions? Get a grip on yourself. Anyone else voicing an opinion is branded an ignorant fool, who could not possibly be a true supporter.

• 39 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM

No, no, no. The fact is, the footedness of a player is neither a detail, as you put it, nor a high brow opinion. It’s very basic stuff . Anybody that watches football and has a clue could derive within 10mins of watching a player which foot he primarily uses, in this case almost exclusively his left, which only somebody that is impaired when it comes to football could miss.

Yeah, I often drop the last t on his name. That really is a trivial detail and has no relevance to on the pitch matters.

previous post: Newcastle´s Only Hope Is This Man