Video – Rafa’s BBC Interview – We Must Continue To Show Character

Rafael+Benitez+Newcastle+United+v+Swansea+ypXTm01sPuBl

Rafa Benitez after the game today going to congratulate Jonjo Shelvey

Here’s his BBC interview after the game

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Veltman

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Well that was unexpected.A complete boosting and lifeline producing result.I was happy with the starting lineup but had a slight doubt on the dropping of Shelvey.But at the end, things went our way for the first time and they done it.
    Overwhelmed for Sissoko.For being captain and more importantly scoring a vital goal.At last,
    proved his doubters and slaggers wrong.
    As I keep saying,if we have a chance to survive,
    only Sissoko and Wijnaldum will make that happen no matter how low they performed.
    Another big game on Tuesday.If we can do it again, we definitely have a chance.Come on lads!

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM

The Usual Pessimistic:
    ———————————–
    Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Cowardly selection just like those before him.

2 barkel // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Surprised Mitro is on the bench

5 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    Wat the fusk team is that!!!
    Tiote!! Sisko!! And cisse!! No shelvey!

10 martoon // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM
    I like Rafa but that’s a bit of a negative selection considering we’re at home and have to win and makems doing us a favour.

13 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:10
    Imagine McClaren picking that team at this stage, there’d be hell on.

Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    Makems staying up. Too good for us. Rafa and co blew the home game against them. Toon norwich villa bye bye
    And I say like I said for the past 4 games:
    Still 5 games to play.
    Still enough time to improve.
    And now, only 2 points from Sunderland and 3 points from Norwich with an extra game.

chicousa // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Terrible team selection! Cisse instead of Mitro? Colback AND Tiote, one is bad enough! Not feeling great about our chances today…

22 LGFUAD21 // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Stupid selection
    Mitrovic on the bench.
    Worry about Mbemba at lcb. He’s clearly not comfortable there.
    Agree with Colback and tiote. But Shelvey should be in there too.

32 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    Odd selection, again. If rafa wasnt rafa we’d say he has done nothing. Sorry but i dont see how this makes sense. Lose this and u can take a hike rafa.

33 MAUTITOON // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    maybe RAFAELLO is following the trend set here,that is from world beater to zero like the rest of our players.

34 expatmag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    Defeat and relegation confirmed.
    I just hope the board have realised the inevitable and are planning accordingly.

And one who got it right!
    ———————————-
    25 ToonMatt // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:20 PM
    I trust the manager, Shelvey has been poor the last few games, Glad to see Tiote starting, I’m happy with that line up and I’m confident of the win, Come on the toon!!!

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM

MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    Oleg, you put my post up as if I was against Rafa and his choices but read again and that is NOT true ffs.

297 MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Oleg, what part of “but I’d rather trust Rafa than anyone else at the club at this current moment in time.” don’t you understand?
    —————————————–

100% right.

Your comment got their by mistake.
    Sorry.

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Cowardly selection just like those before him.

Oh dear oh lor !

I was tempted to pass a comment but not really needed !

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Imagine McClaren picking that team at this stage, there’d be hell on.

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

bladeuser // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I think the F S waiter has a clause in his contract that he will be given a massive bonus if he takes us Down
    WTF cisse is shit mitro changed the game last week only our shit defenders F@@@@@ it up RAFA is a clown
    ASH OUT COLO OUT CARR OUT PENFOLD OUT SHEEP ? OUT AND FOR THE FIRST TIME RAFA OUT

• NewcastleMole

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Excellent result which gives us hope, roll on Tuesday.

I’d drop Wijnaldum for city game, bring in Mitrovic and drop cisse in the hole behind. Other than that keep the same 11. I do not rate colback at all though so maybe recall Shelvey.

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Oleg g where are your thoughts before the game fella! !!?

———————————————-

First of all, I always, and I mean always, wish and think we will win.
    Even in the worst scenarios.
    I let the game pass and only when it looks really hopeless I agree to give up on the hope.

About this particular game. I had my doubts about the line-up, but I never wrote it down.
    I don’t think it is a good idea to do that.

I also never say which line-up I think would be best.

Anyway, don’t take it personally.
    Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong.

PS – I think that the worst comment of the bunch belongs to expatmag (comment 34).

How can you confirm something before the game and before we don’t have an actual mathematical chance?
    Pathetic. It is ok to be pessimistic sometimes, but so much?

Now we are 3 points from Norwich with an extra game, and only 2 points from Mackems.
    There is still hope!!!!!!

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM

• Toonacious T

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Right, you heard what Rafa said it is time to go and celebrate. Whether you are naturally optimistic or pessimistic, the fact is our time won 3-0 today and God knows that doesn’t happen too often. So just enjoy it. I’m off to drink about 15 pints. HWTL!

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

job // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM

0-3 sissoko just needs to be crippled

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Just got back from match good 3 points -need to follow up tuesday

MoM – lascalles – outstanding at the back.

Thought selection strange before start of game but can understand why – keep it tight and don’t surrender the midfield in-front of the defence and give away early goals.

worked a treat.

lost the way a little when subs came on – rejigging to fit system – once that was sorted out only one winner.

If all fit start with seem team.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Oleg

You have nee knackers, though I wouldn’t expect an obvious juvenile basement dweller to.

Welsh gets stick for trolling, but he contributes to the blog. If you want an example of a troll, Oleg is it. Doesn’t post anything and then jumps out the woodwork only to try and get blog contributors backs up. Textbook troll.

Have to laugh at those that get all puffed up because they got something correct for once also. Must have lives full of accomplishments to need to be seen to be right on an anonymous blog….. 😆

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM

The votes are about right. Lascelles for me but really a toss of the coin with Townsend. Didn’t like the team selection (again) but can’t argue with the result.

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

listen the only thing proved right today is that the obvious shocking players from throughout the season showed up for once and that is all
    and veltman sisko has certainly not proved all his doubters and slaggers wrong!!
    jesus i could understand that comment after 5 games not 32 ffs!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oleg G

So you admit you’re a coward that had doubts like those you try and ridicule? That you place so much stake in your blog persona you dare not write what you think because you might get it wrong? What a worm.

• will die for the toon army

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

For me for the last two games, I blame Rafa for dropping Lasceles. We have conceeded less wen he starts. Taylor is a lost cause.

Anita is better RB.

• MacToon

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Thanks Oleg.

If we can’t trust Rafa we might as well just pack up our bags now. I believe he came in far too late but I’d have never employed the likes of McClaren to start with.
    Fighting chance? maybe.

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I prefer to sit quiet instead of just saying the first thing that comes to my mind.

In the past I was more active on the blog.

But you would never see me writing things such as those.

And by the way, you are right with the SM comment. But that is the difference. He proved he isn’t up for it. Rafa just got here.

• Jib

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

toon kk // Apr 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM

We’ll be ripped apart

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:36 PM

“the usually pessimistic” oleg!!!!
    how am i on that list and tbf how can anyone not be at this point of the season?

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oleg G

LOL.
    I see it really got to you, ha?
    Relax. You will be fine in the morning.
    Calling me names won’t help though.

Having doubt is normal. Everyone have doubt. The question is, if you are so pessimistic that your first instinct is to throw it our there, or to wait and see how the game will develop.

As I said, I don’t write too much anymore in general.
    But if I do, it is based on facts, for example, while watching the game, and not before the game, when I am not part of the coaching team and I am not there for the week to see how the players are doing, so I trust the manager to get the selection and the tactics right and if during the game it isn’t, I can comment on that.

I guess I am not a genius who can see the future or know what happens in closed training and in meetings between the manager and the coaches, and you are.

• Sir Braveheart

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Great result today. While I hope that we can kick on from this my belief is that it’s still too late. I hope I’m proved wrong though.

I don’t expect anything from Tuesday, but there’s still points to be gained and lost. Roller coaster between now and the end I think.

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM

manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:36 PM

“the usually pessimistic” oleg!!!!

—————————————-

Being worried, being afraid of the worst, is not the same as being all the time pessimistic.

We are 1-0 up, people were writing that now we they will score.

Rafa asked us to support the team, to believe. So F’n believe.

• Oleg G

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Oh… manxpie
    I didn’t mean “usual” as in – always the same people.
    I meant that there will be always someone who doesn’t like something, before the game starts.
    Trust me, I don’t keep an account on who is being positive or negative during the weeks and later make some hunt for them in the comments.

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

and to see tiote and colback together i thought ffs and i doubt theres enough space left on lee charnleys postage stamp that thought any different at home where we need wins

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:45 PM

well as it looks swansea beat chelsea 1-0 and city are beating them 2-0 so we beat swansea3-0 so we should beat city 6-0 happy days

• welshgeordie9

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Man City all over Chelsea at the moment.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Lol, we finally win a game and the current topic is… Pessimism!! Wow.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Oleg

Throw it out there, that’s what a blog is for. Why not throw it out there? You were obviously present. You can even throw in a load of caveats to your opinion and sit on Ibiza’s fence.

Do you have some stake in how others perceive you on the blog, is your life so devoid of meaning that if you make a prediction and it’s wrong, you’d be mortified into hiding or something? Is that what you’re trying to do with your copy/pasting of others pre-match opinion? Thinking they’d lay low like you would? I’m just trying to understand your juvenile motive.

Being wise after the event is very easy.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

We’ve given ourselves a chance today – good result.
    Still some moaning minnies (the usual suspects) whinging on like tarts.

Boohooo booohooo why am I on that list – boohooo. The whiners are a good laugh though.

• MacToon

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I like Pellegrini but if he doesn’t rest Agüero for Tuesday’s game I’ll seriously consider “sending the boys round”!

• Munster Mag

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Jib you halfwit i fully stand over my pre match comments re the team line up. I notice sky guys said the same. Two defensive midfielders looked all wrong. We didnt play well in first half and it seems the subs made a difference. I want to see mitro on from start but thats just my opinion. Thankfully i was wrong but most logical fans would have said same. Get over yourself man.

• hibbitt

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:53 PM

KEEP THE FAITH lads and lasses don’t let the the wum football manager fifa keyboard warrior know alls get you down …………….did you enjoy the game Jail from the posh seats ????

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

almost as good as the people who cant see there just as bad as the people they’re accusing!!

• toon22

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Imho they need to be very physical with City on Tuesday,their players will have the CL match in the back of their minds.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Oleg

You can’t seem to split reality from the blog.

What folks write on here has no bearing on how they perform on the pitch, especially in real-time whilst the match is going on.

It did look like they were gonna score, we’ve seen it hundreds of times before when we drop off and ask to be punished. Fortunately it didn’t happen, but one of their 4 or 5 chances after the break could easily have gone in. Today they didn’t, but once bitten twice shy, or 100 hundred times bitten in our case.

• Munster Mag

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Hail, i agree. you cant get a prediction wrong here without fellas jumping on ur head. Go to the bookies fellas if you know so much!

• Ron Knee

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I imagine you enjoyed the match, hibbitt!

• manxpie

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

lol mactoon and de bruyne and toure and silva and the rest tbh