The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Video – Rafa’s BBC Interview – We Must Continue To Show Character

6:13 pm, Saturday, April 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

Rafael+Benitez+Newcastle+United+v+Swansea+ypXTm01sPuBl

Rafa Benitez after the game today going to congratulate Jonjo Shelvey

Here’s his BBC interview after the game

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Swansea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Video

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 Veltman // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Well that was unexpected.A complete boosting and lifeline producing result.I was happy with the starting lineup but had a slight doubt on the dropping of Shelvey.But at the end, things went our way for the first time and they done it.
    Overwhelmed for Sissoko.For being captain and more importantly scoring a vital goal.At last,
    proved his doubters and slaggers wrong.
    As I keep saying,if we have a chance to survive,
    only Sissoko and Wijnaldum will make that happen no matter how low they performed.
    Another big game on Tuesday.If we can do it again, we definitely have a chance.Come on lads!

• 2 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM

The Usual Pessimistic:
    ———————————–
    Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Cowardly selection just like those before him.

2 barkel // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Surprised Mitro is on the bench

5 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    Wat the fusk team is that!!!
    Tiote!! Sisko!! And cisse!! No shelvey!

10 martoon // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM
    I like Rafa but that’s a bit of a negative selection considering we’re at home and have to win and makems doing us a favour.

13 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:10
    Imagine McClaren picking that team at this stage, there’d be hell on.

Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    Makems staying up. Too good for us. Rafa and co blew the home game against them. Toon norwich villa bye bye
    And I say like I said for the past 4 games:
    Still 5 games to play.
    Still enough time to improve.
    And now, only 2 points from Sunderland and 3 points from Norwich with an extra game.

chicousa // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Terrible team selection! Cisse instead of Mitro? Colback AND Tiote, one is bad enough! Not feeling great about our chances today…

22 LGFUAD21 // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Stupid selection
    Mitrovic on the bench.
    Worry about Mbemba at lcb. He’s clearly not comfortable there.
    Agree with Colback and tiote. But Shelvey should be in there too.

32 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    Odd selection, again. If rafa wasnt rafa we’d say he has done nothing. Sorry but i dont see how this makes sense. Lose this and u can take a hike rafa.

33 MAUTITOON // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    maybe RAFAELLO is following the trend set here,that is from world beater to zero like the rest of our players.

34 expatmag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    Defeat and relegation confirmed.
    I just hope the board have realised the inevitable and are planning accordingly.

And one who got it right!
    ———————————-
    25 ToonMatt // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:20 PM
    I trust the manager, Shelvey has been poor the last few games, Glad to see Tiote starting, I’m happy with that line up and I’m confident of the win, Come on the toon!!!

• 3 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM

MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    Oleg, you put my post up as if I was against Rafa and his choices but read again and that is NOT true ffs.

297 MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Oleg, what part of “but I’d rather trust Rafa than anyone else at the club at this current moment in time.” don’t you understand?
    —————————————–

100% right.

Your comment got their by mistake.
    Sorry.

• 4 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Cowardly selection just like those before him.

Oh dear oh lor !

I was tempted to pass a comment but not really needed !

• 5 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Imagine McClaren picking that team at this stage, there’d be hell on.

• 6 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

bladeuser // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I think the F S waiter has a clause in his contract that he will be given a massive bonus if he takes us Down
    WTF cisse is shit mitro changed the game last week only our shit defenders F@@@@@ it up RAFA is a clown
    ASH OUT COLO OUT CARR OUT PENFOLD OUT SHEEP ? OUT AND FOR THE FIRST TIME RAFA OUT

• 7 NewcastleMole // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Excellent result which gives us hope, roll on Tuesday.

I’d drop Wijnaldum for city game, bring in Mitrovic and drop cisse in the hole behind. Other than that keep the same 11. I do not rate colback at all though so maybe recall Shelvey.

• 8 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Oleg g where are your thoughts before the game fella! !!?

———————————————-

First of all, I always, and I mean always, wish and think we will win.
    Even in the worst scenarios.
    I let the game pass and only when it looks really hopeless I agree to give up on the hope.

About this particular game. I had my doubts about the line-up, but I never wrote it down.
    I don’t think it is a good idea to do that.

I also never say which line-up I think would be best.

Anyway, don’t take it personally.
    Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong.

PS – I think that the worst comment of the bunch belongs to expatmag (comment 34).

How can you confirm something before the game and before we don’t have an actual mathematical chance?
    Pathetic. It is ok to be pessimistic sometimes, but so much?

Now we are 3 points from Norwich with an extra game, and only 2 points from Mackems.
    There is still hope!!!!!!

• 9 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM

• 10 Toonacious T // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Right, you heard what Rafa said it is time to go and celebrate. Whether you are naturally optimistic or pessimistic, the fact is our time won 3-0 today and God knows that doesn’t happen too often. So just enjoy it. I’m off to drink about 15 pints. HWTL!

• 11 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

job // Apr 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM

0-3 sissoko just needs to be crippled

• 12 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Just got back from match good 3 points -need to follow up tuesday

MoM – lascalles – outstanding at the back.

Thought selection strange before start of game but can understand why – keep it tight and don’t surrender the midfield in-front of the defence and give away early goals.

worked a treat.

lost the way a little when subs came on – rejigging to fit system – once that was sorted out only one winner.

If all fit start with seem team.

• 13 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Oleg

You have nee knackers, though I wouldn’t expect an obvious juvenile basement dweller to.

Welsh gets stick for trolling, but he contributes to the blog. If you want an example of a troll, Oleg is it. Doesn’t post anything and then jumps out the woodwork only to try and get blog contributors backs up. Textbook troll.

Have to laugh at those that get all puffed up because they got something correct for once also. Must have lives full of accomplishments to need to be seen to be right on an anonymous blog….. 😆

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM

The votes are about right. Lascelles for me but really a toss of the coin with Townsend. Didn’t like the team selection (again) but can’t argue with the result.

• 15 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

listen the only thing proved right today is that the obvious shocking players from throughout the season showed up for once and that is all
    and veltman sisko has certainly not proved all his doubters and slaggers wrong!!
    jesus i could understand that comment after 5 games not 32 ffs!

• 16 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oleg G

So you admit you’re a coward that had doubts like those you try and ridicule? That you place so much stake in your blog persona you dare not write what you think because you might get it wrong? What a worm.

• 17 will die for the toon army // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

For me for the last two games, I blame Rafa for dropping Lasceles. We have conceeded less wen he starts. Taylor is a lost cause.

Anita is better RB.

• 18 MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Thanks Oleg.

If we can’t trust Rafa we might as well just pack up our bags now. I believe he came in far too late but I’d have never employed the likes of McClaren to start with.
    Fighting chance? maybe.

• 19 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I prefer to sit quiet instead of just saying the first thing that comes to my mind.

In the past I was more active on the blog.

But you would never see me writing things such as those.

And by the way, you are right with the SM comment. But that is the difference. He proved he isn’t up for it. Rafa just got here.

• 20 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

toon kk // Apr 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM

We’ll be ripped apart

• 21 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:36 PM

“the usually pessimistic” oleg!!!!
    how am i on that list and tbf how can anyone not be at this point of the season?

• 22 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oleg G

LOL.
    I see it really got to you, ha?
    Relax. You will be fine in the morning.
    Calling me names won’t help though.

Having doubt is normal. Everyone have doubt. The question is, if you are so pessimistic that your first instinct is to throw it our there, or to wait and see how the game will develop.

As I said, I don’t write too much anymore in general.
    But if I do, it is based on facts, for example, while watching the game, and not before the game, when I am not part of the coaching team and I am not there for the week to see how the players are doing, so I trust the manager to get the selection and the tactics right and if during the game it isn’t, I can comment on that.

I guess I am not a genius who can see the future or know what happens in closed training and in meetings between the manager and the coaches, and you are.

• 23 Sir Braveheart // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Great result today. While I hope that we can kick on from this my belief is that it’s still too late. I hope I’m proved wrong though.

I don’t expect anything from Tuesday, but there’s still points to be gained and lost. Roller coaster between now and the end I think.

• 24 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM

manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:36 PM

“the usually pessimistic” oleg!!!!

—————————————-

Being worried, being afraid of the worst, is not the same as being all the time pessimistic.

We are 1-0 up, people were writing that now we they will score.

Rafa asked us to support the team, to believe. So F’n believe.

• 25 Oleg G // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Oh… manxpie
    I didn’t mean “usual” as in – always the same people.
    I meant that there will be always someone who doesn’t like something, before the game starts.
    Trust me, I don’t keep an account on who is being positive or negative during the weeks and later make some hunt for them in the comments.

• 26 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

and to see tiote and colback together i thought ffs and i doubt theres enough space left on lee charnleys postage stamp that thought any different at home where we need wins

• 27 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:45 PM

well as it looks swansea beat chelsea 1-0 and city are beating them 2-0 so we beat swansea3-0 so we should beat city 6-0 happy days

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Man City all over Chelsea at the moment.

• 29 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Lol, we finally win a game and the current topic is… Pessimism!! Wow.

• 30 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Oleg

Throw it out there, that’s what a blog is for. Why not throw it out there? You were obviously present. You can even throw in a load of caveats to your opinion and sit on Ibiza’s fence.

Do you have some stake in how others perceive you on the blog, is your life so devoid of meaning that if you make a prediction and it’s wrong, you’d be mortified into hiding or something? Is that what you’re trying to do with your copy/pasting of others pre-match opinion? Thinking they’d lay low like you would? I’m just trying to understand your juvenile motive.

Being wise after the event is very easy.

• 31 Mister Tuff // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

We’ve given ourselves a chance today – good result.
    Still some moaning minnies (the usual suspects) whinging on like tarts.

Boohooo booohooo why am I on that list – boohooo. The whiners are a good laugh though.

• 32 MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I like Pellegrini but if he doesn’t rest Agüero for Tuesday’s game I’ll seriously consider “sending the boys round”!

• 33 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Jib you halfwit i fully stand over my pre match comments re the team line up. I notice sky guys said the same. Two defensive midfielders looked all wrong. We didnt play well in first half and it seems the subs made a difference. I want to see mitro on from start but thats just my opinion. Thankfully i was wrong but most logical fans would have said same. Get over yourself man.

• 34 hibbitt // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:53 PM

KEEP THE FAITH lads and lasses don’t let the the wum football manager fifa keyboard warrior know alls get you down …………….did you enjoy the game Jail from the posh seats ????

• 35 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

almost as good as the people who cant see there just as bad as the people they’re accusing!!

• 36 toon22 // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Imho they need to be very physical with City on Tuesday,their players will have the CL match in the back of their minds.

• 37 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Oleg

You can’t seem to split reality from the blog.

What folks write on here has no bearing on how they perform on the pitch, especially in real-time whilst the match is going on.

It did look like they were gonna score, we’ve seen it hundreds of times before when we drop off and ask to be punished. Fortunately it didn’t happen, but one of their 4 or 5 chances after the break could easily have gone in. Today they didn’t, but once bitten twice shy, or 100 hundred times bitten in our case.

• 38 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Hail, i agree. you cant get a prediction wrong here without fellas jumping on ur head. Go to the bookies fellas if you know so much!

• 39 Ron Knee // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I imagine you enjoyed the match, hibbitt!

• 40 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

lol mactoon and de bruyne and toure and silva and the rest tbh

• 41 bladeuser // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM

the bloggers who were pessimistic before the game had every right to aire there views cisse was still a rank call by RAFA and if we had not got a result you would all be on his case the test was not Swansea a side that is safe but man city who are busy beating Chelsea at the bridge then the bindippers at Anfield any points and there would be a glimmer of hope all three teams have difficult fixtures so who knows
    ASH OUT COLO OUT CARR OUT PENFOLD OUT SHEEP ? OUT

• 42 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM

From what i was hearing second half we got lucky? Is that accurate?

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM

bladeuser

Well said mate.

• 44 Jib // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM

GOBSHITES OOT

• 45 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM

hibbit tbh i didn’t even have much feeling when we scored the 1st which tells me alot i feel, but seeing the defending after that got me back on side and the overall team performance was brilliant so i now feel if that level of performance continues i will have belief

• 46 will die for the toon army // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM

it feels good to win again.

• 47 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Oleg, I can’t imagine you pulling out that list had we of lost? Point scoring on a blog is really low.

• 48 MacToon // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Manx, how many did Agüero get last time against us and he’s unstoppable against Chel$ki.

As much as we were “lucky” today we have been unlucky all season.

• 49 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:08 PM

mactoon aye but lascelles will have him in his pocket
    now they are gurenteed a win lets hope they get many many injuries

• 50 martoon // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Oleg G @2 – Very easy to criticise with 20 – 20 hindsight but ask toon kk I’m actually one of the most optimistic on this blog.
    My point was, and I think I was proved right, that we needed to win and that team selection was set up to stop goals which we did and we only scored from a corner. After more attacking substitutions we then scored from free play so I wasn’t being pessimistic I was simply stating facts!!!

• 51 hibbitt // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Ron Knee

i did mate loved it

bladeuse

for once your talking sense but without todays WIN none of those results would matter anyway

• 52 hibbitt // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM

even when we win were not allowed to enjoy it ……well you wont spoil my night

• 53 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Let’s hope this isn’t false hope, it was with Mcclaren when we got out the relegation zone with a win. But I have waaaay more faith in Benitez.

• 54 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

be careful martoon mr tuff will be on your case for defending yaself unlike him off course

• 55 Toon Tang // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Chelsea have taken a sound thrashing there. Lets hope Mantitties have got whatever demons they were exorcising out of their system so we can release the guillotine on Tuesday night.

• 56 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM

So turning attentions to Man City. Does Rafa stick or twist on the selection? We looked pretty listless for 30mins 1st half after a decent, nothing more, opening 10mins. Lascelles then stepped up with a big goal.

Big calls to make for me are Gini and Cisse. Can’t see him changing any of the rest if not forced to, even Gini seems immune, but he got hooked today after another quiet one, so maybe it’s in Rafa’s mind.

• 57 toon kk // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Jib
    A great result today which I didn’t expect, and tbh going off the poll neither did alot of fans. Going off the majority of our games this season we’ve been a joke.
    But don’t get carried away mate we’re still a poor team and will struggle in the run in.

Still a great win today, pleased for Rafa he deserves a good result for a change.

• 58 Goofy // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Great win today, hopefully I’m still smiling after the Liverpool gamem HWTL

• 59 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:28 PM

when ever i here toure i always think of fonejacker its the spitting image lol
    wonder if we can still give villa fans stick now?

• 60 Sir Braveheart // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Wins still up for grabs against Villa and Oalace. The spurs game looks like an interesting proposition – at home, Leicester certainly crowned champions and Spurs confirmed second, will players like Alle Dyer and Kane want to risk injury when there’s nothing to play for? May not be a better chance against them this season.

Can see Norwich losing the rest of their games, its just Sunderland who are unpredictable. They could get points from Stoke, Everton or Watford potentially.

• 61 anthc // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Sorry to be a spoil sport but we were nothing special today. Swansea simply didn’t turn up and they still played us off the park second off. God help us had they needed any points.
    Playing for pride imo but I’m still enjoying winning the game. Still a glimmer and if we can get anything off city who’ve just destroyed chelsea then who knows!
    Mitro caused problems even though he only had a cameo, I will miss him when he goes.

• 62 nearly // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:42 PM

veltman @ 1

quality,sissoko proved his doubters and slaggers wrong
    proper crank nee wonder they say the nufc fans are deluded

• 63 Belfast // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Hallllla Manxpie this is yar bank calling jast need tha account nambrrrr and yar sart code please….. 🙂

• 64 LGFUAD21 // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM

My MOtM vote wento to townsend.

For me it’s joint honours between him and lascelles.

Townsend just created almost everything we did. He massively supported anita and I think it showed.

Lascelles because he was defensively solid, scored a cracking goal and I just love his attitude.

Honourable mentions go to
    Tiote for battling in the midfield and helping us get a foothold in the game.
    Anita for keeping montero in his pocket.

Reality is I don’t really have much criticism

Cisse was ineffective as a striker and caught offside but I think he did well stretching defenders
    Gini had his moments in the first half but completely disappeared again.
    Sissoko was quite for a lot of the game but came up with the goal and a fantastic tackle and counter attack.

• 65 Bambams // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I can’t believe some on here. We were not brilliant I know but we got three points, three goals and didn’t concede. That’s it !

I don’t care if we are horrible, set up not to concede but win games 1-0 in off the refs arse then so be it.

We have given ourselves a chance and I will enjoy MOTD tonight….Vodka and coke in my hand.

We might still go down, who knows – but I will enjoy tonight.

• 66 nearly // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM

anthc@61

do u think mitro will leave if we go down ,i think he will stay unless he is told they want to sell him

• 67 Yo-yo // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:56 PM

You trolling again Ken ?

• 68 toon kk // Apr 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Oleg
    Don’t get to excited we’re still in the bottom three, great result today but we’re still a poor side that came up against a out of form Swansea.
    You’d think we’d just qualified for Europe.

• 69 NoahJ // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:01 PM

I know we won and everything, but some of Benitez’s decisions still baffle me (and not in a “I told you so” way)… e.g. cisse was completely awful yet again, and he started over mitro and perez; dropping shelvey (our captain) yet keeping wijnaldum starting.

And we all know he would have started with stephen taylor over lascelles if he was fit

giving sissoko the armband was a bit ridiculous as well- surely colback, or someone who actually wants to play for this club would be better (e.g. mitro)

• 70 Veltman // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Well said nearly and cheers.I was hoping for someone to back me up.There are indeed some deluded fans around here who actually doubt it whether they are watching matches properly.
    They have to ask themselves simple question;
    Why has he made captain? Why hasn’t he get dropped the whole season? Why has he keep selected for his country? If these doesn’t answer their negative hatred towards him,I don’t know what will!?

• 71 Transfer Sage // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Very happy with today. Like most I wasn’t sure on the starting line up, mainly the starting of cisse. Happy with the rest.

Using 2 defensive midfielders is fine with me. Keep the back 4 tight, those two in front then go long for Townsend, Sissoko and Cisse. Long balls on the counter have worked for Leicester all season and playing every other way hasn’t helped us much.

I think it’s what we need the rest of the season, stay up by any means then look to restructure in the summer.

Rafa isn’t a manager I would want long term on reflection. He is tactically good but football seems to be changing. Much prefer the style of Klopp, pochettino, tuchel, Enrique… Pace, quick counters, pressing footbal.

Not saying we can hope for a proven manager but somebody in their mold would be my choice. Still happy with Rafa though, he is a very good manager and could give us an excellent platform to progress if we manage to stay up.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Noah

I think Rafa wanted somebody to run in behind which rules Mitrovic out.

Cisse plays that way and has a decent scoring record. Perez can do that but often looks lost alone up top and doesn’t score enough. Doumbia clearly not favoured for whatever reason.

Cisse was the best option for that style in my opinion.

• 73 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I think Oleg has withdrawn for a period of self-reflection.

Tuesday is HUGE! Have to get a point minimum and if we do get beat, it can’t be a hammering. GD is looking increasingly important.

• 74 NoahJ // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Transfer Sage @ 72

we absolutely had to win today, and therefore to score goals, and I just felt we wasted so much time playing one up front (and that one to be cisse!). I have given him chance after chance but he is completely out of his depth (constantly offside, poor movement).

I think is speaks volumes that we scored 3 today and none of them were from strikers.

On another note, Rafa can just not justify continuing to start Wijnaldum. His goals in the past should not determine him as a guaranteed starter (he is in poor form). I would actually rather play perez or aarons on the left wing

• 75 catchy in norway // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM

the manager earned his money today , some brave decisions and the paid off for him.

very smart move taking Jonjo out of the firing line from the beginning and bringing him on when we were winning. same goes for cisse.

not expecting much vs city but it take a draw right now,

on paper we look to have the better run in, so it’s in our hands.

come on

• 76 catchy in norway // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Noah

I’m all for dropping Gini but not for those 2. they need to be brought into winning teams, not starting, they both get lost the same as gini

• 77 Munster Mag // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Transfer we dont have the pace to play counter attacking football. Against swansea etc at home i am happy to go 442 and get mitro and cisse worrying teams. I agree that managers like tuchel are the future. If rafa goes we have to look to find guys like him. That said, rafa would teach us to defend and remodel the club top to bottom

• 78 Transfer Sage // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Noah

I’d disagree. I think for players running in behind cisse is the best option we have. Two up top doesn’t always mean more goals if you can’t get the service into them.

I was happy with the team once I saw how we had set up, although a little unsure before hand.

I’d like to see Aaron’s come into the side too. Not sure what’s happening with him in all honesty.

• 79 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Never mind pre-match criticisms of Rafa’s team selection. The number of people on here who have been saying over the weeks that Lascelles isn’t good enough … He’s looked like the best CB on our books to me and he has topped it today with a MOTM performance.

• 80 Transfer Sage // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Munster

I’d disagree. We don’t have the pace of vardy but we have good pace with Aarons, Sissoko and Townsend.

Cisse is capable of good runs in behind. Won’t beat many over 30 yards but a clever ball through to him could mean he gets chances to score.

I’m not thrilled with 442 for us.

• 81 NoahJ // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Hmm I’m not sure- Cisse just doesn’t do it for me; he’s not smart enough with his movement, so it puts a lot more pressure on the midfield (most of whom are out of form themselves).

Would personally like to see a midfield of Aarons, Sissoko, De Jong, Townsend with Mitro and Perez up front …
    …I think de jong always brings a calmness to the midfield, sissoko works well when he storms through the middle, aarons has shown glimpses of magic when he’s actually played in his position (i.e. not at left back!) and townsend is showing his quality on the right.

God only knows what has happened to doumbia- it’s like ferrerya all over again!

• 82 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Transfer
    Cisse played okay today. He still hasn’t got the hang of offsides though.

I remember raising serious doubts about the signing of Shelvey. I was pleased to see him benched today and less than impressed with his bit part show. I had strong reservations about the signing of Townsend too but he’s been one of our few good performers.

I was criticising Janmaat when most others had him as our player of the season. We looked better without him today. We always look a bit better defensively with Dummett in the team.

I’ve praised Shinsoko in the past but he’s gone right off it for too long now. Another poor show from him today. Colback is poor too.

• 83 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM

i totally disagree about the way football is going tbh the premier league is and has been the best league because of the end to end football
    i suppose the stakes are higher than ever now and money comes into it but if we turn into the spanish league i’ll be very dissappointed
    look at martinezes everton they were a good attacking team but good defensively too they’ve gone the opposite now
    liverpool too
    the premier league really needs to hang on to the most exciting league in the world without doubt
    not trying to play the spanish way or any other way

• 84 Ketsbaia9 // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM

The only good players today were:

Townsend
    Darlow
    Lascelles
    Mbemba
    Mitrovic
    Anita

The rest were poor.

• 85 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM

The two big lads, Lascelles and Mitro, with the help of Townsend were the key men today.

• 86 anthc // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Nearly,

I think mitro is a raw talent and too good for the championship. Whether he leaves on loan with the hope we come back up or what I don’t know. The lad got a lot of stick earlier in the season about his work rate but he grafts hard and causes problems. The lads got passion too I just think he was frustrated as he got no service or support from our poor midfield.

• 87 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM

well there was a story in the sun that said he’d be the first to leave (mitro) and norwich were first in line for him lol

• 88 manxpie // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM

wiji plays all season and only just gets some stick shelvey plays not even half a season and the last few games out of position and gets dogs abuse i feel the word xenophobic needs to come back lol

• 89 Bambams // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Another cause for concern is the statement fat ash said re ‘no money’ in the bank.

If God forbid we do go down, where is the coin going to come from for the signing of ‘promotional quality players’….

Talk about twenty steps backwards !

Ashley has saved up for ages for a transfer splash on players, but didn’t reinforce the right areas ! Carr cannot be trusted and this is another reason I prey we survive.

Rafa has to be given the freedom of our club to do what he feels right

Imo

• 90 martoon // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:56 PM

I was at the match – honest assessment – the teams were quite even in the first half but we maybe just shaded it and deserved a 1 – 0 lead. At the start of the second half Swansea were dominating – I’m not sure if we sat back or they changed tactics. They missed 2 good chances but after that and the substitutions we came back into the game. Possibly 3 – 0 was a little harsh on Swansea but we took our chances and they didn’t despite a lot of good build up play. Good substitutions by Rafa and at the right time – although I might have brought on Mitro a little earlier if I’m being picky!

• 91 Lanzatoon42 // Apr 16, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Exactly mate, 1 match at a time, hope we will get confidence after today, very likely we will go down but just have to try and win all matches we have left!!! Simple as that

• 92 Yo-yo // Apr 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM

anthc

We don’t need to be anything special – just have an edge on the unwashed and the canaries

• 93 nearly // Apr 16, 2016 at 9:04 PM

anthc

spot on ya right way to good for championship, he wants to stay and help us get straight back up if we go down ,he loves this football club and loves the area

previous post: Poll – Who Was Newcastle’s Best Player Against Swansea?

next post: Rafa Delighted With This – In Great 3-0 Win Against Swansea