The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good Words From Jonjo Shelvey

8:01 am, Monday, April 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 5 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey seemed to take his dropping on Saturday quite well and that’s the truth as Jonjo has talked about being surprised that he was left out of the starring line-up against his old club.

But Jonjo has fully taken in the mantra from Rafa Benitez that it’s all about the team and the team is more important than any one individual.

When he did come on in the second half for Cheick Tiote, Jonjo played quite well and we are hoping that in the last five games of the season he  can get close to his best form, especially at home.

jonjo shelvey andros townsend

Jonjo Shelvey congratulates Andros Townsend on 3rd goal

We need some of our best players to start playing well if we are to avoid relegation, so we’ll just have to wait and see which team Rafa starts tomorrow night in the next vital game at home against Manchester City, another one of our bogey sides.

This is what the 24 year-old England international said about being dropped against his old club:

“It’s frustrating not to start against my former club, but it’s not about me at this stage it’s about the team and winning.”

“I thought we thoroughly deserved it – we were outstanding.”

“The gaffer gave the game-plan at the start, and we implemented that and stuck to it to get the three points.”

“I was a bit surprised to be left out, but I think he knows what he’s doing so you can’t exactly sit here and criticize him with his record and his CV which speaks for itself.”

“I didn’t get an explanation before, but I’m sure he’ll put me aside and tell me.”

“As I say it’s not about me, it’s about this club and maintaining Premier League status. We’re all in it together.”

“There are obviously going to be times when you’re not going to play, but you’ve just got to take it on the chin. I eventually got on the pitch and we scored another two goals.”

“The gaffer is always keeping you guessing if you’re going to play or not.”

“No-one can rest on their laurels. Even if you’ve had a good game the previous week, there’s still a chance you might not be playing the next.”

“The captaincy is not a big issue.” “Moussa deserved it. I wasn’t starting. If I had been, I’d have still been captain. The gaffer went with Cheick Tiote and Jack Colback.”

“He wanted to be a bit more defensive. It was his decision. We’ve got a game on Tuesday night against Manchester City. It’s a squad game, and fingers crossed I get a start then.”

It’s all about Manchester City now and Rafa will not have a lot of time to prepare the team for this game.

But every player must turn up for this game and be ready to perform well in front of 52,0000 mad screaming Geordies tomorrow night.

Newcastle will go all out for the win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Manchester City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

5 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mag52 // Apr 18, 2016 at 8:19 AM

No point in making too many changes to the side which started on Saturday IMO.
    The captaincy seemed to bring about an improvement in Sissoko’s game and Anita was a huge improvement on the way Janmaat has been playing at RB.
    Mitro seems to play his best from the bench, so I’d also start with Cisse.
    HWTL.

• 2 croftus5678 // Apr 18, 2016 at 8:21 AM

now if our next games was villa and palace i would have bet my house on us staying up !

manc is a huge climb for us though and if our heads drop again with a big loss.

heres hoping for a miracle we have proven i the past we can beat the best so another 2-3 wins please boys.

• 3 Jib // Apr 18, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Team from Saturday
    Darlow, Anita, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett, Tiote (Shelvey 66), Colback, Townsend, Sissoko, Wijnaldum (Perez 73), Cisse (Mitrovic 80).

Next game v Man City tomoz neet who are currently on fire , in which case 1 point would be brill.

Start Janmaat and move Anita to the left with M’Bemba Lascelles and Dummett in the middle.

One winger Townsend switching sides
    Colback Tiote Wijnaldum in midfield
    Sissoko up top as outlet and no recognised striker up top

If we are still in it after half time revert to our normal formation with Mitro as lone striker to knock Kompany all over the place.

• 4 croftus5678 // Apr 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM

@1 mag

as much as i’d like to argue i 100% agree with all you said there.

anita did blow me away there and sissoko playing more central but spreading himself was a huge handful and a hell of a lot more effective than wijnaldum has been.

what players to bring on though !!! talk about impact mitro and shelvey could add esp when the other teams legs are tireing towards the end.

• 5 ArtyH // Apr 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I think Rafa dropped Shelvey because he could have done a Gazza and got over excited wanting to please and may have got sent off or injured. Also it may have had an effect on the Swans wanting to show Shelvey is not missed by them. So all in all despite it looking an unlikely starting team it worked out fantastically well, after all its all about the points now not how we play.

previous post: Benitez Talks About What Can Make The Difference

next post: Poll – Can Newcastle Beat Manchester City?