The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Injury Update – Comments From Rafa’s Press Conference

1:32 pm, Monday, April 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Rafa Benitez has just given his press conference for the Mancsheter City game at home tomorrow night and the news is that both Coloccini and Janmaat are still not fit for this game, but that young Kevin Mbabu is close.

Rafa also give an interesting statement today that if we believe like we did against Swansea then we can beat anyone.

The “we” meaning both the players and the fans we suspect – we all have to believe and somehow help our players to play out of their skins tomorrow night.

A win would blow the roof off St. James’ Park for sure.

rafa benitez press confernce 7645

Rafa Benitez – gave press conference for man City game

Here’s some of what Rafa said:

“You can’t be just worried about Sergio Augero or Kevin De Bruyne.” “They have a lot of good players.”  “Manchester City are a team who are doing so well in Champions League and have many good players. We have to be ready for a difficult game”

“I still don’t have the team decided so you can keep guessing for another day.” “We all have to stick together, work hard and try to get three points in this game.”

“If we believe like we did against Swansea then we can beat anyone. We have nothing to lose at the moment and we have confidence.”

“There are some knocks but they will be fine. We still don’t have Coloccini and Janmaat. Mbabu is very close.”  ‘I don’t know about the captaincy. I still haven’t decided the team. I have to think about Jonjo Shelvey.”

“I chose Sissoko as captain because of how he behaves in training every day. He works hard, helps me with French players.”

On paper this looks like a Manchester City win, especially since we have lost every one of our last 12 league games against City, although we did beat them 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium in the League Cup in October, 2014.

But it would be fantastic time to get our first win in 13 league games against them – and we have to have some shock wins over the last five games if we are going to avoid relegation.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:35 PM

‘helps me with French players’

Maybe he should focus on helping his own English, he’s been here long enough.

• 2 barkel // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM

the next two games are massive and we really should be looking at taking at least two points to keep the pressure on the two above us. Ideally we get two wins, 6 points before the mackems play Arsenal would be absolutely amazing for us

• 3 LGFUAD21 // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Rafa is playing some kind of mind-games/man management wizzardry with this Sissoko lark I reckon.

I can’t work out what it is.

• 4 jayphoto // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Have no concept of Moussa on the training field, but I trust Rafa, if he thinks Sissoko is a positive influence around the place then he sees him far more than we do.
    Saw in his interview Moussa said he’s a central midfielder… he played only there for Toulouse but I can’t remember him ever playing there for the toon? behind the striker and on the wings only?

• 5 beermonkey // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM

jay

i think sissoko would be a liabilaty in the middle for us he dont tackle and his first touch is awful

• 6 mickybraham // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:54 PM

LGFUAD21 – Totally agree with your assessment of colback & the changes needed for City from the last post. Not glamorous but he leads by example and puts the work in, encouraging others to do the same!

I think in the past SMC, carver or pardew would play the same winning side. But I think Rafa will have the balls and the experience to know that we need someone to hold the ball up against them! Still think Gini will have the nod over de jong if only for his pace on the counter.

For me, the only change should be mitro over cisse

• 7 magscar // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM

For those missing BandB she is posting fairly frequently on The Mag.

• 8 jayphoto // Apr 18, 2016 at 1:56 PM

@beermonkey – I agree! Just odd that he considers his position a place where he hasn’t played for 4 years

• 9 Jib // Apr 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM

• 10 jayphoto // Apr 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM

actually fancy us to get a result tomorrow! Pellegrini is often tactically naïve whereas Benitez seems tactically pretty astute, especially in game.
    We were unlucky against Norwich, matched Leicester and sunderland was a derby so everything goes out the window.
    Only game really we’ve let ourselves down with under rafa was Southampton which was terrible, but hopefully that result and performance was what was needed to cause a reaction! City aren’t the side from earlier in the season for sure. Odd decision to announce Pep when they did and it seemingly threw them off track in the league

• 11 Ibizatoon // Apr 18, 2016 at 2:06 PM

For those missing BandB…she’s unable to post, as per my message on the last thread.

Feel free to send her messages. I’m sure she’ll love them.

Mags and Jib, don’t give up hope yet!

• 12 beermonkey // Apr 18, 2016 at 2:07 PM

jay

if he was anygood there pards and mclaren would have played him there his size and running alone just dont cut it there

its where he see’s his best pos but he doesnt understand he lacks aspects of his game to play there
    i think over the last 18mnths he has decided he doesnt want to be a winger

so to me he is usless to us

• 13 hibbitt // Apr 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM

not getting beat would be great a massive step in the right direction …………………keep the faith lads

• 14 lesh // Apr 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM

LGFU

Raf’s bugging Sissoko to coerce him into to playing to the high standards he (Sissoko) says he’s capable of. Put up or shut up’s the loose translation and it seemed to work on Saturday but can we expect two good performances from him?

• 15 lesh // Apr 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM

It’s a pity that Colo and Janmaat aren’t fit. It means that Rafa can’t yet tell them they’re not playing!

• 16 lesh // Apr 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM

LGFU

My phone’s autocorrect’s playing silly beggars again – my post should’ve started with ‘Rafa’s bigging Sissoko up……’

previous post: Fantastic Benitez Is Restoring Pride in Newcastle Players