The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Who Was Giving Advice To Rafa Benitez On The Touchline?

9:21 am, Wednesday, April 20th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 45 Comments

Moussa Sissoko had another good game for Newcastle and his brilliant cross-field pass to Vurnon Anita out on the right wing set up the first goal as Vurnon quite brilliantly turned inside and rifled the ball home past Joe Hart with his left foot.

That leveled the score after a Sergio Aguero goal after 14 minutes was allowed to stand even though Sergio was well offside.

But we were concerned about our manager being distracted by somebody on the touchline.

moussa sissoko son 1234

Mr. Sissoko Jr with Master Rafa Benitez on the touchline

It happens that Moussa had his two young sons at the game last night and he brought them out as he led the team out but as one of them heard the massive roar from the crowd the toddler tried to run back inside but Moussa grabbed him and picked him up.

It seems one of the toddlers wanted to give Rafa some advice on the touchline.

Here’s some pictures of Mr. Sissoko Jr.

moussa sissoko son

I’ll have a little rest

moussa sissoko son and partner

Better say hello to Mom

moussa sissoko son 234

I’ll give Rafa my autograph – but how do I do that?

Rafael+Benitezsissoko jnrKcHPBGcK_l

Who are those guys sitting there?

Rafael+Benitezsissoko jnr32

Hey – that’s my Dad over there

Rafael+Benitez+sissoko jnr

Better sit and watch the game in case I get into trouble

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM

moncur was saying last night and on saturday that he thinks rafa will stay he seemed very sure about it which was surprising ……….i hope he does because you can see the change in the players and the way we are playing its a massive change in such a short time
    just makes me think what rafa could do long term

• 2 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Anyone else think qatar are bribing linesmen? its been proven they bribed blatter and platini to get world cup although they’ve entirely escaped punishment or media blame. papers say they bought PSG just to bribe platini, so what’s to stop them bribing a low paid linesman or two. They get tonnes of key decisions that are absolutely unbelievable.

• 3 hibbitt // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM

The next Mike Williamson

if that’s the case why didn’t they get the pen ???
    seen plenty like that given

• 4 Munster Mag // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Jail good point earlier. We were desperate against makems and norwich and both players and manager have to accept blame for that. But rafa is very unlucky not to have the weaker teams now. His effect is really starting to take hold and i was positive we wud win before KO last night.

• 5 Slank // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:41 AM

It’s taken awhile but Rafa’s impact is clear for all to see.

Not only in the tactics and the choice of starting eleven but more importantly in the attitude of the players. Special praise should also go to the crowd who for once backed the lads from the kick off.

The pairing of Colback and Tiote has made all the difference. Not elegant or flashy but solid no nonsense determination to be first to the ball and win it.

Whether it’s his new central position or /and captaincy but Sissoko looks a different class of player.

Whilst Colback, Tiote and Sissoko operate in the midfield I cannot see Shelvey making a return anytime soon.

Townsend looks like a very astute buy. He always looked threatening and never stinted on his defensive duties.

I’m really pleased with Lascelles. He looks and acts like a permanent fixture at centre half and quite possibly a future captain.

It was nice and I thought quite brave of Rafa to bring on Aarons. It will have given Aarons a lot of confidence.

I thought the timing of when Mitrovic was brought on was right as he can really bully tiring defenders and also hold up play when team mates around him are tiring.

Can we win at Liverpool ? On that performance it’s possible.

• 6 martoon // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Somebody said earlier that Sunderland could get to 41 points. I’m not so sure about that – they have some quite tough games in their remaining fixtures! They have to play Arsenal, Chelsea & Everton as well as Watford away – none of them easy.

• 7 Jib // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:50 AM

I hadn’t realised this

• 8 expatmag // Apr 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Team for Pool

Anita Lascelles Mbembe Dummett

Tiote Colback

Townsend Sissoko Aarons

• 9 Munster Mag // Apr 20, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Anita has been brilliant for rafa and sissoko looks like he has been injected with something. I we stay up, sissoko could become a real hero here. Bonkers to think it, but sissoko cud be a cult hero yet!

• 10 Pitmatic // Apr 20, 2016 at 10:31 AM

That was the worst call by a linesman I’ve ever seen in my life last night. Twice in recent games we’ve been shafted by decisions, after the blatant handball in the build-up to the Olsson goal. You’d hope we get one of these in our favour in the remaining games. You’d hope, indeed, that whoever is taking Saturday’s game has it in his mind if it comes to any 50-50 calls in the box.

That said, the idea that the error cost us the three points is logically flawed. It changed the course and context of the game, so there’s just no way of knowing how things would have unfolded had the goal been ruled out. Great response from the team though.

Saturday’s game looks winnable now if they can keep the same focus and intensity. No better time to play this fixture.

• 11 Mister Tuff // Apr 20, 2016 at 10:41 AM

The offside or non offside decision last night might cost us £100 million. Nowhere else would such a decision be reliant on one persons guess work/eyesight. About time technology was introduced – not for every offside but where a goal ensues.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM

• 13 Lindisfarne // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM

It could be said the offside goal was more productive to us, although I would have preferred us to score first they may have been more energetic about getting the win. An extremely positive performance performance that sets the benchmark for all the remaining matches and for those players coming in.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM

When are they going to intoduce vide refereeing. That decision could have been relayed to the ref in less than 10 seconds and decisions that aren’t clear cut from the ref well play just carries on until a decision is sent down.

• 15 WWSBRD // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM

In fairness that offside didnt need a video replay Aguero was at no point onside

• 16 Jib // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM^tfw

• 17 jimmysmith // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Interesting that Widjnaldum, Shelvey, De Jong, and Mitrovic are out of the starting 11 that appears to have finally heard the penny drop, and that Janmaat and Collocini likely won’t be in it either, when they are available.

• 18 scout // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM

I was at the Southampton game and cant believe the turnaround. We have a real chance now especially with the Norwich v Watford game rearranged. Should have been Saturday

• 19 Wayayman // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Yep that was a horrible mistake by the linesman. My 10 yr old daughter plays in defence and she is just learning the offside rule. She was totally confused by it last night.

On another note, I’m not sure Townsend is being given the credit he deserves for last night. His work rate was actually phenomenal and he still had the energy and skill to attack when in possession. It was refreshing to see someone out wide not scared to receive the ball standing still and still beat his man. The amount of times he got back to help Anita out was great to see. long may it continue.

• 20 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Picking a MOM was a toughy, I went for Lascelles and what really impressed me about him was he made a bad mistake but recovered brilliantly to cover it. If Taylor had been playing he’d have been standing watching as the ball was stuck into the net.

Dummet could have had more votes, he stuck to his job despite being targeted by City and he was up against one of the best wingers in the league.

Darlow made some great saves, I wouldn’t fault any of our players last night they were all MOM imo.

• 21 Jib // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

I voted Townsend m.o.m.
    Tiote was fearsome (and fearless )
    Andros however was like having an extra player on the park !

• 22 nut meg // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:27 AM

I tend to think that technology will be brought to help refs at some point, but I’ve been saying it for donkey’s years.In this case last night it wasn’t necessary.Any official with only partial sight could & should have seen it,it wasn’t even in doubt ! Absolutely shameful decision,no excuse for him.It was after all a set piece not a lightning counter attack!

• 23 Jib // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Ref at Anfield will be Martin Atkinson

• 24 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:36 AM

I think it was the lines mans positioning that was at fault, he wasn’t in line with Aguero and had other players obstructing the obvious offside.

Still a poor decision by a poor linesman who wasn’t keeping up with the play.

• 25 barkel // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:36 AM

I think the city goal could really spur us on, the team will feel hard done by and going by the last couple of performances they’ll want to push on. Still a long way to go in terms of staying up but if, and its a big if, we can play like that for the last 4 games we should be alright.

• 26 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Essex Geordie

He made a similar error against Southampton second-half, only on the edge of their box allowing them a counter opportunity, after our attacking set-piece. He immediately motored at full tilt to recover his position and was back midway inside our half in less than 5 seconds and it came to nothing.

What I like about Mbmeba and Lascelles together, is they are decent ball players, but they’re also not predictable. Colo for all his passing ability went through the same patterns of play every time, making it very easy for the opposition to anticipate and press the ball.

Making mistakes is inevitable, but it’s how they react and recover that’s important, hopefully as they become more experienced the mistakes become less frequent, unlike Saylor who has gone the other way over the course of his career.

Been critical of Mbemba lately, but I thought he was slightly the better of the 2 last night.

• 27 nut meg // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Anybody know if when a referee gets stood down is it only him or the 2 assistants also saying as they work as a team?

• 28 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM

I think we’re all going to finish on 36 points and GD will decide it.

Not only need wins against Palace and Villa, but big wins.

Need Arsenal to rip apart to Thunlun too.

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM

I can’t see what difference it makes when Norwich play Watford the only thing we need from that game is a Watford win or at least a draw, I’d rather they played and we knew the result. I don’t want us getting bad results and them with games in hand.

• 30 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM

If GD is the decider then we are stuffed, Teams under Allerdyce seldom get hammered and how many teams have we scored a lot against.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM

We needed to beat Norwich and the mackems and points like last night would have been bonuses. Unfortunately I think it’s too late and we all know it.

• 32 martoon // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM

I have to say I do have sympathy with linesmen (having ran the line myself albeit at school boy level) sometimes it is difficult to be looking along the line and see the exact moment the ball is kicked/passed. However last night Aguero was standing offside before the freekick so it should have been relatively easy to see if he got back onside as the freekick was taken which he clearly didn’t – I really can’t understand how he didn’t see it?

• 33 martoon // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:21 PM

NCFC 2 – MUFC 2

SAFC 1 – EFC 0

NCFC 2 – WAFC 0

Newcastle 35 pts – 22GD
    Norwich 35 pts – 27 GD
    Sunderland 33pts -22 GD

I’d take that going into the last day. However if we drew and Sunderland won, we’d probably be down on goals scored, by 2 or 3 goals, unless Sunderland won 1-0 and we somehow drew 3-3+.

Gonna be tight all the way to the end I think,

• 35 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Norwich -26 GD*

• 36 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Oh, of course we’d be down on GD in that scenario, doh! 🙁

Buckle up because it isn’t going to be a comfortable ride!

• 37 shaun83 // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM

HWA – agree it’s gonna be tight right until the end. Going to be a huge Leicester supporter over the next few games! Horrible run in for them though.

• 38 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Its quite annoying when you look at how Sunderland and Norwich have been trying their hearts out and still not really getting points I mean Sunderland couldn’t even beat West Brom who were woeful when we played them!

If Defoe doesn’t do the business they are pretty much screwed for goals although Watmore coming back for them could be huge as he has serious pace

Now we are putting in the effort we are picking up the points but I also think it helps that we have now sorted our defence and midfield which has been a combination of Lascalles, Dummett and Colback coming back in and Taylor , Janmaat and Shelvey being removed for whatever reasons

Liverpool will be a severe test but we have beat them already this season and that was achieved through some bloody hard work so same again please !

• 39 shaun83 // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I know most were celebrating the Sunderland win at Norwich but to be honest the draw would have been better!

• 40 Pitmatic // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Happy to say that I was always an advocate of Townsend, and couldn’t understand people turning their noses up at him. But I have to admit he looks even better than I expected. His crossing with his right foot has been exceptional, and his ability to go inside or out makes him a nightmare to defend against. Great workrate and desire, and of course absolute dynamite shooting with both feet. I hope Roy is watching, as he surely deserves to go to the Euros given his past form with England, although that might not do us any favours come the summer.

Perez played well last night, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Obertan start on the left on Saturday and really stretching them with pace on both flanks. I know he’s been derided, but he was our best player early last season before his injury. He could still have a big part to play if he’s fit enough.

• 41 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Need a deflated and disinterested Spurs on the final day.

Arsenal, Watford and Everton also play huge parts in the run-in. Norwich and Thunlun have to play all of them.

• 42 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Yeah I have been impressed with Townsend in the games I watched him at Spurs he was always wasteful and frustrating a bit like Obertan …. although playing for us he has everything a Newcastle winger should have he may have matured finally at the right time for us !

Just wish we could get someone on the other wing to do the exact same Perez and Wijnaldum do a job there but its not really their position and they dont have the pace either only players in our squad that maybe could do it are Obertan or Aarons which was interesting to see Aarons actually get a game at the end which might mean he is in Rafa’s thoughts for future games !

Obertan was not even on the bench so I think maybe the game is over for him at the Toon !

Also is Saviet not a winger or used to be ?

• 43 hibbitt // Apr 20, 2016 at 12:50 PM

we need to go to liverpool and not get beat and then see where we are things will be much clearer by then a point at liverpool would be a massive step forward

keep the faith

• 44 sweendog // Apr 20, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Hail Wor Ashley .. I’ve a feeling Clatter Mole gets sent off against Arsenal which finally signals the end of their revival, then we need to finally get a few wins under our belt. Liverpool has to be a very hard one, but they have an eye on the UEFA semi-final, so here’s hoping.

• 45 Moonraker15 // Apr 20, 2016 at 7:21 PM

It’ll be a great shame if we go down and it will herald yet another error of judgement by the inept ones who run our club. That is recognising the need to replace McClaren too late! Another 5 games and Rafa would have us safely in mid table. If we go down and we lose Rafa as well it’ll be hard to bear. I hope he has been impressed with the fans and the city enough to want to stay and rebuild. On the other hand, if he keeps us up he has legendary status and we are all set for a great season! Football gods; give us a break! Please!!

previous post: Massive Praise For Newcastle – Now Look Like A Benitez Team