The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Klopp Expected To Make Several Changes Against Newcastle

7:18 pm, Thursday, April 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Liverpool have a few injuries with former Sunderland player Jordan Henderson and Emre Can both ruled out for at least a month and striker Divock Origi joining them on the sidelines after picking up an ankle injury last night in their convincing 4-0 win over Everton at Anfield.

Daniel Sturridge is now Liverpool’s only fit striker with Christian Benteke still recovering from a hamstring problem and Danny Ings out for the season after having an operation on his knee.

Manager Jurgen Klopp is willing to use his squad extensively in the run-in to the season and it’s likely there will be a number of changes for the game against us on Saturday.

jurgen klopp

Jurgen Klopp – expected to make several changes for game against Newcastle

Liverpool play at Villareal on Thursday night in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final tie so with the side being 6 points behind 4th placed Arsenal it will be tough for them to finish in the top four.

This is what Jurgen Klopp has said about his squad:

“They are only good players. There is not a player in the squad where I think ‘Oh, why is he here?'” “In each game recently: Stoke – different formation, Bournemouth, Dortmund, Everton – different formations but we also showed our different styles.”

“We are not only a pressing and counter-pressing team, we are a possession team and it is challenge to bring it together.” “We will work on it and we won’t be finished on it but we need players.”

“They have to do the work and hopefully we will have enough for the last few games.”  “How can you get consistency? We had still played the most games in Europe with a lot of injuries. You need to have a little bit of luck with injuries.”

“Consistency is about having players ready for the next game.” “Consistency comes with working together. We can’t do a lot of things like you usually do in three weeks, we need six-and-a-half months.”

“We are here with 54 points, which is not too bad. There are 15 points to get or not,  but all the games are difficult with the challenge of the Europa League.” “We have to win as often as possible and look at what others have done.”

Newcastle have never won at Anfield since back in 1994 and Liverpool are playing well having won the last four games in all competitions and they have lost just one game since February 2nd – so this will still be a very tough game for the Magpies.

If Newcastle are to get anything at all out of this game we have to play with the drive and determination the players showed against Manchester City on Tuesday night in getting the 1-1 draw.

This may even be a good time to play Liverpool.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool On Saturday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM

“There is not a player in the squad where I think ‘Oh, why is he here?’”

We can relate with that 🙂

• 2 Graeme // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Ibiza – I’m sure we have far more players to say it about than Klippity can even dream of!!!

• 3 Ibizatoon // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Graeme…Do you think? I’m struggling to think of one player who I don’t know why they’re here 🙂

• 4 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Player ratings:
    Emmanuel Riviere: strong knitter, has made several very decent tea cozies while sitting on the bench.
    Seydou Doumbia: excellent moustache trimming. Is getting rave reviews from Rafa.
    Gabby Obertan: strong pizza delivery qualities. Looking forward to it as a permanent career when he retires.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:31 PM

And you lot thought those players were a waste of space! Harrumph!!!

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM

no doubt another rerun of the game where we lost 4-3 to Liverpool.

I am as sick as possible over the fact that that game is constantly being wheeled out as a classic, almost as much as I hate the Hereford cup game that gets an annual airing.
    I never watch either but the fact that seem to be on some sort of idiotic loop really gets up my nose.

Perhaps we can have a new classic game where we stick 10 goals past them this weekend.

I bet that wouldn’t get so much air time!!!!

• 7 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Important side note. Attention Ibiza and beermonkey. Your Lunatic Fringe club fees are overdue. We need to get together and discuss our plans going forward. Are we wearing matching battle thongs for the Liverpool match or not?

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I hope they have one eye on Europe and make a few changes. It might maximise our chances.

We might also play with a bit more belief, hopefully.

• 9 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:36 PM

We get that match all the time over here Essex Bill. It’s shoved down wor throats several times a year. Yet the batterings we’ve given other clubs are completely ignored.

• 10 Bambams // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM

I think our whole future is on this game.

I had hoped for a win against City as difficult as it looked.

We need 3 points here….Need to put the pressure on the teams directly above.

The difference will be Sissoko breaking into the box and scoring or Wini clipping the ball over the advancing keeper….In other words we HAVE to take our chances.

One thing for certain …We have found our centre halves and possibly a back four.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM

It will maximize wor chances Laurent mate. The sight of Rafa will put them in a tizzy as well. They’re ripe for the plucking! Aarrgghhhh!!!

• 12 MadisonToon // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM

I must admit that often, GeordieTwo, your antics are distracting, but your player ratings are spot on.

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:38 PM

G2

So what are the tea cosy’s like, is he selling them on ebay?

• 14 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Let the plucking commence…

• 15 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:44 PM

The tea cozies are lovely Essex Bill. One looks like Rafa giving Saylor a thick ear. Another has Doumbia trying to find his throat lozenges (he’s not feeling well since he came to us). Ta Madison Toon. I admit I often distract myself a bit. Anything shiny can do it. There will of course be my end of season player and management ratings to look forward to. If I don’t see anything shiny that is…..

• 16 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Bambams don’t put all wor eggs in one basket. Liverpool is important but we have other fish to fry. And errrm things to pluck. We absolutely must pluck Palace and fry Villa. And then best for last is Spurs!!!

• 17 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:49 PM

ooohhh that’s shiny over there. I’ll be back later lads……

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:49 PM

G2

To be honest I think Doumbia is a bit like the Yeti or Loch Ness, I’m not sure he really exists. Although there have apparently been sightings of him but nothing confirmed.

• 19 Back Door Man // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Calling Bettybollocks , calling Bettybollocks:

To quench your yearning for enlightenment in the Saddam Hussain/Adolf Hitler dichotomy, don’t believe for one minute it’s been raised as some sort of ‘losing argument gambit’ as suggested in Jib’s link.  I only used Saddam as his name scanned well in my prose;  I could just easily have used Henry Vlll, King John, Donald Trump, J Edgar Hoover, or half a hundred other likely lads.

I keep reminding folks that amid the incessant din of nonsense being generated by some here there’s never been a greater need for a BDM cloud of sensible white noise to envelop the place and abate the nuisance posts.  Perhaps my back-flipping, cartwheeling double pike prose is beyond the comprehension of some here but who gives a toss.

To repeat, my duffel coat of an idea is a wish to stretch others by investing my writing with context, breadth, depth and vision, stripping it of its banality.  Rarely writing in straight and predictable lines but hinting at somewhere higher, a place of wit and understanding.

So, think of me a the voice of enlightenment shining a warm glowing beam into this dark place.

• 20 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:51 PM

I saw him once Essex Bill. I swear I did. He came on the pitch and kicked the ball 16 feet ahead of himself thinking he would pick it up on the way past I suppose. For some reason a player on the other team beat him to it. He does have the sniffles. I can hear them from here.

• 21 GeordieTwo // Apr 21, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Doumbia’s fitness problem must be amazing. We brought him in during the January window. So he’s been with us for almost 3 months. And yet he’s still not fit? Did he have a leg amputated or something? Just saying like. Rafa should look into that.

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Missing a leg, pathetic. In times past a player would come onto the pitch on his stumps.

Now they were real men

You’ll be telling me next that a few minor broken fingers is enough to stop any of our current players.

• 23 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM

If I remember correctly Bernard Briggs had a team mate who had a wooden leg who used to come on to take the free kicks and had a shot like a cannonball.

• 24 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM

BDM

I love your prose, now if I could understand what you are saying………………………………..!

• 25 AmericanMagpie // Apr 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM

The talk of stumps has me thinking of Tom Dempsey. American Football kicker who had half a foot and still holds the record for longest made kick at 63 yards.

• 26 Toonacious T // Apr 21, 2016 at 10:17 PM

American Magpie
    I think that record was broken by Prater of the Broncos who kicked 64 yards in 2013 mate.

• 27 Thump // Apr 21, 2016 at 10:28 PM

@Toonacious T: It was levelled and beaten a few times before Prater, but either way – they all did it with a full foot (the fixation of which baffles Dempsey).

• 28 WWSBRD // Apr 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Klopp words give me too much hope. Sounds like we will be facing a weakened team Lovren vs Mitro sounds good to me or Cisse/Perez vs Sakho

Townsend up against their very attacking full backs will be key imo he wins that battle and we are at them

• 29 jimmysmith // Apr 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM

I’m pretty furious with Mike Ashley. The years of penny pinching, the hiring of incompetents on the cheap to fund the inevitable losses incurred on a litany of long shot signings, before finally doing right only in the last ditch attempt to drag it all out of the fire, in the one final throw of the dice.

If he has a shred of decency, and perversely I still think he actually does, he’ll do whatever is needed now to hold on to this manager and give him the free reign to legitimately return us to the top third side we always should be.

If he doesn’t, and anyone worth 3 billion quid certainly can, then that must be the final straw for fans.

• 30 bettyswallocks // Apr 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Back door man…….. I feel obliged to reply as you have taken time out to humiliate yourself on a public blog. It seems to me that your sole purpose in life is a warning to others. I would like to thank you on behalf of the blog for not annoying us more than you do. I don’t quite know what your agenda is, maybe it’s to try and obtain a refund on your head now that it’s empty. If you want to judge people on their intelligence on here it won’t work, no one cares. It’s like if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree it will go through life feeling it’s a failure.

• 31 Yo-yo // Apr 21, 2016 at 11:06 PM

betty

The bad news is that fish lack the self awareness that you have. They really don’t care how you judge them, unless its in batter.
    BDM’s ‘white noise’ is exactly that…

• 32 AmericanMagpie // Apr 21, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Toonacious. – Oh ya you are right. Forgot about Prater’s 64 yarder.

• 33 Magpie Season // Apr 22, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Didn’t Crystal Palace win at Anfield?

I know Klopp was relatively new then but still.

I think their season is being overhyped. A good run of form they are on, yes, with some amazing results, but people are ignoring their horrible performances during their losses, such as the calamity that occurred at Southampton quite recently.

• 34 jimmysmith // Apr 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Ha,ha! Dear me! Sorry to highlight this BDM but “…….maybe it’s to try and obtain a refund on your head now that it’s empty” is a truly classic quip. I’ll be passing it off as one of my own in future.

It’s right up with my all time favourite from some forgotten wag on here, “my dog Charlie could wander into the Newcastle technical area on match day, take a shit, and IT would do a better tactical job than Alan Pardew.”

• 35 benjohnsen // Apr 22, 2016 at 5:37 AM

One day the “not being able to win at Anfield” must break, so this weekend would be a very suitable time for that.

• 36 cyprus // Apr 22, 2016 at 6:16 AM

On Rafa, we are overawed, a tad provincially. A coach lives and dies through results. If he starts winning, then deify. Even if we get some kind of consistency going I’ll be a fan. Two games is not a run. Let’s kick on.

He’s finding a good shape, dropped our most ineffective player, well done. Keep it up.get me some wins. Motivate and find a position for our best player, Gini.

• 37 Lindisfarne // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Is Georginio Wijnaldum a Milner markII?

The kind of player that every team needs for graft and dynamism, without being totally blinding.

• 38 sing in the corner // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:41 AM

Benjohnson @35
    Yep, just like Man City’s 12 game winning run against the toon! Here’s hoping!

• 39 sing in the corner // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Lindisfarne
    No you’re right, we don’t need him to be totally blinding. But Milner has consistency, Thats what we’ve got to get from Wij..

• 40 Mag52 // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM

Lindisfarne.

How I would like to think that Gini is a Milner mark 2.
    Sadly though his motor is, to be generous, half that of Milner.

• 41 cyprus // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I am a milner fan. But Gini is a different player, so comparisons for both are a bit unfair.

If I were to choose, though, I’d say Gini is a better footballer.

• 42 cyprus // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:36 AM