The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

One Player Returns – Rafa’s Comments From Press Conference

1:27 pm, Friday, April 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

Rafa has just finished his press conference for the vital game at Liverpool tomorrow and the boss has said that Daryl Janmaat and Fabricio Coloccini are still out injured, but that Kevin Mbabu is fit and in the squad.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez press conference

Here are some of the things Rafa said today:

“My connection with the city (Liverpool) is fantastic. My family still lives there.”

“Scousers and Geordies have a lot of similarities with fans and their passion. The city and the fans are similar, I like this”

“Before every game we need 3 points, whether it’s Manchester City or Liverpool – Liverpool are a great team with very good manager but we have try to win”

“We have to believe. I am not just happy with two good games. We have to fight until the end.”

“Anita ands Tiote have been examples. Like Smicer at Liverpool, these players who are not playing much have to be ready to contribute later”

“We must believe. I’m not happy with a start of just 2 games, we need more. But intensity and character mean players believe”

“Competition between players is really important. Gini and Jonjo’s reactions have been good. But it is positive for the team”

That’s good to hear that Jonjo and Gini have taken their omissions from the team well – all the players – the coaching staff and the fans – we are in this together and we have to pull in the same direction.

And the good news is that Newcastle have a better chance now for survival than we did after the Southampton loss.

We hope we can take it and stay in the Premier League and keep Rafa at the club for the next three years.

That would be like manna from heaven.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Good words….

I will say it again I genuinely don’t believe either Colo or Janmaat will play for us again.

Just hope those two above us get beaten.

We need some luck to go our way

• 2 Bobbybee // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I’m with you on that bambams, unless there’s an injury crisis their time is up. Disappointed in Janmaat because we know he can play, but as a right back I’d sooner either keep Anita there – who’s earned his place – or bring in Mbabu, who’s definitely the future. Collo is just done.

• 3 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Bladeuser……… I’m not a fan of Cisse by any means. It’s just so long since he scored its about time he did. If the game opens up and he has space and the right pass he has been known to score the odd goal. The rest of what you say I agree with.

• 4 hibbitt // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

if we can nick a win that would be great but for me the key is don’t get beat and certainly don’t get hammered
    anfield is never easy for any team but we always make hard work of it we are still very fragile and a hammering would do us no good at all and shatter what confidence we have

keep the faith lads

• 5 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Ibiza…… I didn’t say that I thought Back door was BandB, I was just wondering whether Jib still thought that. Why does she not post any more by the way? I know you said she had problems logging in but surely that can be easily resolved unless there are other issues.

• 6 Bambams // Apr 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Mbabu would be my choice well before Janmaat. When he was stretchered off against the Saints I couldn’t believe it. Still managed to stand up and -allegedly – punch a wall.

Colo is happy to just collect his huge wages in my opinion. Never really been the same since “poledancergate’ when he wanted back to Argentina.

Again though just my opinion and others may not agree.

Football is a funny old game….

• 7 Bobbybee // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Bambams, Janmaat did the same last season, when he got deliberately sent off in the last minute at Leicester. Ironically Willo got accused of getting himself sent off in the same game. Already on a yellow card, he pointlessly tripped Vardy in the last minute. Not up for a scrap obviously.

• 8 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Back Door Man actually reads like a lengthier version of the old Angry Man the Angry Fan. Whatever happened to him?

• 9 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Bobby…Apologies, I grouped you all together, but the content should probably have been split up a bit.

I hadn’t realised this was an older thought of Jibs.

For me, it’s 100% not BandB 🙂

She killed her old account. Set up a new one, had been emailing Ed as the code hadn’t worked.

It would appear the feedback is, there may not be a blog in a little while, so there isn’t much point trying to fix the issue in the meatime.

A lot riding on us staying up it seems.

Agree with you on Cisse btw. Surely he has to score soon. A couple of stunners against Liverpool would be a good start.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Hail…No idea on Angry.

I think BDM has a bit of Beattie about him / her. Somewhat theatrical.

I do miss Beatrice though. The lad could rant and name call like a true pro.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Bobby…Apologies. Clearly that wasn’t meant to be for you. Obviously had just read your name 🙂

Betty…See post 9.

• 12 Bobbybee // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Ibiza, no worries, i’d figured that out myself.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Bobby…Pleased to hear it.

• 14 MadisonToon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Ibiza –

What’s this about there not being a blog soon? That would force us to find new NUFC news homes and the pickings are slim.

• 15 Toon_Tom // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM

I would certainly keep Anita at RB and if Mbabu is fully fit get him on at LB. From whast i have seen of him so far he looks solid

• 16 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Madison…Last time we were relegated the blog closed.

It’s been assumed the same might happen this time, if we go down.

I’ve second hand information that is the case.

The pickings are slim. The idea of makes my skin crawl – no offence to any users, of course.

• 17 MadisonToon // Apr 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

That would be rough! Another reason (as if we needed more) for us to stay up.

I wasn’t aware of the blog last time we went down. Did it come back straight away when NUFC came up the next season?

• 18 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Madison…It was before my time too, but I believe that’s what happened.

Maybe it should be

“but only in the premier league”

• 19 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Newcastle blogs

• 20 MadisonToon // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Might not get quite as many hits that way, Ibiza, but would certainly satisfy the truth in advertising folks.

Jib – that’s what I’m afraid of.

Maybe we could crowdsource the article writing/blog continuation?

• 21 manxpie // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Against Liverpool we should rough them up as much as possible as none of them will wanna miss the semi final especially sturridge get a fair but hard challenge in on him early and he won’t be up for it
    as long as it’s not tiote doing it
    I fancy a bit of a classic actually surprised sky aren’t showing it 20 years on with rafa in charge too

• 22 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

The blog could be nearing it’s end? That’s real sad, my only way of interaction with fellow Newcastle fans aswell. Shame.

• 23 beermonkey // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

has any1 actually asked ed if he is going to close the blog

• 24 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Not sure, I’m just going off of third hand information.

• 25 toonking // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM

jam and colo are still out injured, they can remain injured for all i care because this current back line is looking the most defensive of them all meaning not as much help is needed from the rest who can give more energy into attack rather than scrample back to cover the huge space left by jam and get sh1t commands from leaderless colo.

• 26 magscar // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Ed didn’t close Blog when we went down last time ( at least not immediately) see above as example and I can’t recall exactly when but may have been when in PL (?)

As I recall and posted some weeks ago it had to do with his server costs or some such and I don’t believe his advertising income was great then. Given his advancing age and the shanagins on here few months back it may well be if we do go down Ed feels enough is enough ( and I wouldn’t blame him). Certainly coverage in the States won’t be as high and the Blog is a different place than some years ago.

• 27 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM

That seems correct sadly.

• 28 lesh // Apr 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Ed’s the authority but memory suggests that Ed closed the Blog as he had an offer of work in his specialist field (IT).

I may of course be wrong but I’m sure Ed would clarify if you were to ask him.

• 29 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM

I hope it doesn’t close down. I’ve read this everyday for years, like a lot of you.

• 30 lesh // Apr 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Now if our fans were to find a couple of scouse crackheads (that shouldn’t be a problem!), offer them a couple of quid to nick the hub caps from the bindipper’s players’ cars and bingo, their minds are off the game and we get three points.

• 31 roblee7 // Apr 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I remember the blog closing when we were relegated, but can’t remember why it happened. Think something to do with lack of coverage of games in the States. I rarely leave comments any more but thought I’d chip in…yes it was down for that one season and then straight back up again when we were promoted. I seem to remember Ed’s son taking over for a while though, not sure if that was when we were in the Championship?

• 32 magscar // Apr 22, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Still don’t think it was down for a whole season – this post

shows was running when we were promoted. Fairly sure it was whilst we were in PL that Ed shut down for a few months and also as RobLee7 says that Ed’s son was also involved for a time.

• 33 magscar // Apr 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Looks as though some think it has already shut down 🙂

• 34 mindshaft // Apr 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Thought Ed closed it last time due to his illness, his son kept it going with the odd post

• 35 MadisonToon // Apr 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Sorry for turning things toward doom and gloom. If it is going to go down, I think there will be a committed set of folks to help it stay afloat even in the Championship.

However, we win on Saturday and we’re staying up and don’t have to even think about it. We draw on Saturday and it’s touch and go, we lose and, well, I’d love to say it’s touch and go, but we’ll be really lucky to get out of the bottom 3 then.

• 36 mindshaft // Apr 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Last time Ed stopped updating the blog, I asked if I could take it over but he never replied, think quite a few were willing at the time

• 37 Bambams // Apr 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM

We won’t need Ed to close the blog down….
    We are staying up !

Have faith in Rafa and our new improved back four ……

• 38 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Qué sorpresa !
    Lawro predicts 2 – 0 to the bindippers

• 39 toon kk // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM

It will be interesting to see if we turn up tomorrow, if hopefully our players have eventually got the message over off Rafa that you have to work hard to grind a result we may have a good chance of getting something from the game.
    What concerns me is our lack of striker ability to score. We’re relying on other team members for our goals. Not usually the way. But as long as we score thats what counts.

• 40 SPRINGY // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:44 PM

pretty sure cisse is playing for his movement and closing down ability,he’s a willing runner….cant be for his hold up play as his first touch is horrendous…but starting with him is working,i like mbabu and mitro but we have to start with the same team as tuesday, the morra….dont change it,if its not broke.

• 41 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM

It’s not our defence now suddenly being able to be decent. It’s Tiote. When he plays and is on form our whole team looks good. He offers so much protection for the back four.

The stats when Tiote plays for us compared to not playing is amazing. He has to play all 4 remaining matches if we are to stay up.

• 42 Back Door Man // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I’m not sure what to make of that Jib’s earlier inaccurate “doylem” description of moi or bettybollocks’s eternally failing challenge to rise above her usual mediocrity to just above mediocrity.  This pair of pale-faced bone-idle layabouts, together with their supporting bag-carrying plague of half-wits and nincompoops, need to be whisked off into witness protection before they self-combust.

Given the anonymity of the keyboard a few will always harass and threaten in this way.   Often these yellow-belly custards show up with  misspelled threats (yep, we blame our smartphone’s small keyboards) as a lame counter to interesting and forward thinking conversations.  Their lack of imagination results in different iterations for the same two barbs – “yer Mum” or “yer a twat” in a kind of handbags bitchslapping confrontation of crude renditions between those with differing views.

These damp, smelly smoke signals wafting up from the cheap seats in the flea infested end of the blog clearly show that these arsonists are not getting enough sleep and I’m worried about their wellbeing.  Have a nap, have a snooze, go for a lie-down, maybe even listen to something soothing on your crystal sets … perhaps some haunting ditties from Peruvian pan pipers or some dirge croaked-out by Sting.

Oh – bettybollocks, do try to be original in your putdown attempts otherwise you wouldn’t score highly on some mutant  version of the Bechdel test.  Fancy lifting “… obtain a refund on your empty head …”,  straight from the throbnet.  Poor show dear girl, six of the best on your bare botty for plagarism.

• 43 Ibizatoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:15 PM

BandB emailed and asked me to post the following for her.

Nice to be remembered so fondly……..
    I stopped posting because I’ve had all the arguments possible at least 20 times.
    That was before Rafa came, at a time when I really didn’t want to be part of a collective, relegation haunted, blog nervous breakdown.
    He and the players have my full support.
    I don’t want to post. Just to be theoretically able to if I choose.
    There are no “other issues”.
    And no, I’m not Back Door Man. His posts aren’t littered with typos and missed out words. Nor have I ever suggested my role was to “school” another poster.
    It wasn’t, and isn’t, my style.
    I can think of nothing more tedious than to invent a new persona to carry on an argument. I certainly felt no need to invent a new persona. And I left with no scores to settle.
    There was no-one I didn’t like talking to, not even that HORRID Colonial.
    Thank you.
    And goodnight.

• 44 Tsunki // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Thanks for posting that Ibiza. I’m relieved that the last sentence where BandB said “there was no-one I didn’t like talking to…” didn’t end in “except that Tsunki….”

• 45 Back Door Man // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Surely what binds us all together here like a slippery, writhing mass of Siamese twins is our deep passion for NUFC (by the way, just imagine the fun of conjoined Mr Tuff and Jib … of course Tuff would be the top half where the brain lurks and Jib the lower half containing the gut and arsehole). This life long sweaty love affair we all have with the Toon is like an addiction to smack, it’s seared into us since that first hit.  For the true fan the habit can’t be kicked … only the fairweather plastic fans threatening publicly to leave the club’s currently cold and clammy embrace is for the true fan simply psychologically impossible.  Running away for us is never the answer.

I’ve been addicted to since 1964 and have had plenty to complain about for over 50 years but have never even threatened to abscond.  Sure, I trip by falling into mindless nostalgia or overplaying the few  great moments  and wonder why they’re never to be repeated;  of course it doesn’t help the ‘cold turkey’ when directed to view snatched past glory moments on YouTube (with an honest thanks here to Jib for posting a great YT link a couple of days ago).

Some of the earlier posts reminding us of the Sir John Hall/Freddy Shepperd Axis of Evil era failed to conjour up what a wild ride it was.  Starting with SJH’s grand plan for a Barcaesque type regional ‘sporting club’, through KK’s drive for the title and those sorties into Europe.  We lived the dream for a while only to witness it disintegrate into dust.  Bastards!

• 46 Tsunki // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:27 PM

BDM = mecannylad? Same desperate aspiration to be the blog sage.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM

I can only speak for myself and a few others but what really binds us together is some very strong nylon rope I bought at the hardware store BDM. We always use it to go to away matches….

• 48 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Markaccus and Tsunki use some sort of nasty glue to bind themselves together but I’m not having any of that….Harrumph.

• 49 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM

BandB will be sorely missed. She brought a huge amount of level headedness to the conversation. She had a completely different view to anyone else on here. Personally I hope she comes back into the fold. If not there is a place in the Blog Hall of Fame (next to my pipe and slippers which I’ve already put in place to hold onto the best spot)……

• 50 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:06 PM

If necessary I’m available to take over as Official Blog Sage Tsunki mate. There’s years of wisdom buried deep in me noggin. Just say the word lads……

• 51 Average_Contents // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:06 PM

My first thought too lol

• 52 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Very well then lads, you’ve had enough time to respond. Consider this an Official Blog Sage coup. I’m taking over now. Moving me things into the office. Getting set up for all your most difficult questions. Don’t worry lads, it’s going to be a very smooth transition. I already have beermonkey guarding the entrance…..

• 53 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Mecannylad almost exactly 2 years ago assured the blog that he had it on good authority that Ashley was replacing Charnley with someone with a better public persona.
    He also kindly posted Ashley’s full address including post code.

I always thought him a tad dangerous.

I think MrTuff is the only one wise enough to be the “blog sage”

• 54 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Just a few words of wisdom to start the new Blog Sage era. Ok……errrmmmm, let’s see now. Ahhh here’s one:
    Always check your beach thong for sand fleas before putting it on. That’s from Ibiza actually. He seemed very jumpy that day when I talked to him……

• 55 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Too late Jib. The position has been taken. The office is secure now. Beermonkey is in place and only sporadic gunfire off in the distance……

• 56 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:22 PM

In fact if I recall correctly Ibiza would suddenly scream “Sand Fleas!! Oh God Sand Fleas!!!” and then look desperately uncomfortable…..

• 57 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Hey G2 !
    This is the Toon not freaking Syria !
    Whatever happened to Democracy ?

• 58 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:27 PM

You had your chance Jib. I gave a very liberal 30 seconds notice before taking over…..

• 59 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Mr Tuff ousted in a palace coup while asleep – digraceful.
    You’re supposed to cut nightshift workers some slack !

• 60 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM

I hope I wasn’t out of line mentioning that whole sand flea situation Ibiza mate?

• 61 GeordieTwo // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:32 PM

A true Blog Sage never sleeps Jib….

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Don’t worry lads, if Ed decides to close the blog down, me and the True Geordie will take over, we will call it.

The Welsh True Geordie Blog.

• 63 Jib // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Could you give him some kind of deputising post ?
    As long as he gets a badge of some sort he’ll be happy I’m sure.

• 64 beermonkey // Apr 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM

the master multiple nob vollens had a blog for a while maybe he has set it up again we could go there if closes this1
    he in prob very bored of talking and arguing with himself
    if he has time he might be back in hospital

• 65 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Back door merchant…… Well done, you have managed to compress the most words into the smallest idea of any blogger in history. You never fail to post without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.

• 66 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 10:28 PM

BDM…….. Your mental infecundity is truly breathtaking. I normally make a point of not entering into a verbal mud fight with a pig. You both end up covered in shite but the pig likes it.

• 67 martoon // Apr 22, 2016 at 10:42 PM

I have to say I’m a little disappointed with BandB. A brilliant contributor to the blog she always fought her corner well. I’m really surprised she’s given up just because it looks like we could be relegated and she’s fed up with one or two posters.

• 68 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 22, 2016 at 10:43 PM

BDM has a certain fondness for Mister Tuff, almost like it could be Mister Tuff…….

Their tone is similarly sneering and imperious, however unless Mister Tuff has carefully concealed his literary abilities or, attended a course in creative writing and is using this blog to practice, I don’t think it’s him.

• 69 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Hail…….. BDM Seems to think we are bound together and have something in common with him. I would like to point out that I have nothing in common with him and certainly wouldn’t entertain being bound to him in any way.

• 70 bettyswallocks // Apr 22, 2016 at 11:06 PM

BDM…….. You obviously like to post on here to try and prove that you are somehow intellectually superior and a good speller. All I can say is evolution was wasted on your gene pool. 25million years of evolution and you are the result. Darwin is now throwing up over Hendrix.

I assume you can tie your shoelaces without bending over. Sumere Volucere Copulatem.

• 71 cyprus // Apr 22, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Ok Rafa you dropped Shelvey smart move. But you must find a way to include Gini. He’s our most talented player. Find a way to use him and well.

• 72 PUMMELLER // Apr 22, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Tiote is at the centre of everything that has changed. The guy was a clas act against City. Calm, collected and such a force in protecting the back four!
    Still not sure what we can do about Liverpool but felt the same before the city game so let’s get at them

previous post: This Is Still Newcastle’s Biggest Weakness And Worry