One Player Returns – Rafa’s Comments From Press Conference

Rafa has just finished his press conference for the vital game at Liverpool tomorrow and the boss has said that Daryl Janmaat and Fabricio Coloccini are still out injured, but that Kevin Mbabu is fit and in the squad.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez press conference

Here are some of the things Rafa said today:

“My connection with the city (Liverpool) is fantastic. My family still lives there.”

“Scousers and Geordies have a lot of similarities with fans and their passion. The city and the fans are similar, I like this”

“Before every game we need 3 points, whether it’s Manchester City or Liverpool – Liverpool are a great team with very good manager but we have try to win”

“We have to believe. I am not just happy with two good games. We have to fight until the end.”

“Anita ands Tiote have been examples. Like Smicer at Liverpool, these players who are not playing much have to be ready to contribute later”

“We must believe. I’m not happy with a start of just 2 games, we need more. But intensity and character mean players believe”

“Competition between players is really important. Gini and Jonjo’s reactions have been good. But it is positive for the team”

That’s good to hear that Jonjo and Gini have taken their omissions from the team well – all the players – the coaching staff and the fans – we are in this together and we have to pull in the same direction.

And the good news is that Newcastle have a better chance now for survival than we did after the Southampton loss.

We hope we can take it and stay in the Premier League and keep Rafa at the club for the next three years.

That would be like manna from heaven.

Howay The Lads!!

• Bambams

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Good words….

I will say it again I genuinely don’t believe either Colo or Janmaat will play for us again.

Just hope those two above us get beaten.

We need some luck to go our way

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I’m with you on that bambams, unless there’s an injury crisis their time is up. Disappointed in Janmaat because we know he can play, but as a right back I’d sooner either keep Anita there – who’s earned his place – or bring in Mbabu, who’s definitely the future. Collo is just done.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Bladeuser……… I’m not a fan of Cisse by any means. It’s just so long since he scored its about time he did. If the game opens up and he has space and the right pass he has been known to score the odd goal. The rest of what you say I agree with.

• hibbitt

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

if we can nick a win that would be great but for me the key is don’t get beat and certainly don’t get hammered
    anfield is never easy for any team but we always make hard work of it we are still very fragile and a hammering would do us no good at all and shatter what confidence we have

keep the faith lads

• bettyswallocks

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Ibiza…… I didn’t say that I thought Back door was BandB, I was just wondering whether Jib still thought that. Why does she not post any more by the way? I know you said she had problems logging in but surely that can be easily resolved unless there are other issues.

• Bambams

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Bobbybee

Mbabu would be my choice well before Janmaat. When he was stretchered off against the Saints I couldn’t believe it. Still managed to stand up and -allegedly – punch a wall.

Colo is happy to just collect his huge wages in my opinion. Never really been the same since “poledancergate’ when he wanted back to Argentina.

Again though just my opinion and others may not agree.

Football is a funny old game….

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Bambams, Janmaat did the same last season, when he got deliberately sent off in the last minute at Leicester. Ironically Willo got accused of getting himself sent off in the same game. Already on a yellow card, he pointlessly tripped Vardy in the last minute. Not up for a scrap obviously.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Back Door Man actually reads like a lengthier version of the old Angry Man the Angry Fan. Whatever happened to him?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Bobby…Apologies, I grouped you all together, but the content should probably have been split up a bit.

I hadn’t realised this was an older thought of Jibs.

For me, it’s 100% not BandB 🙂

She killed her old account. Set up a new one, had been emailing Ed as the code hadn’t worked.

It would appear the feedback is, there may not be a blog in a little while, so there isn’t much point trying to fix the issue in the meatime.

A lot riding on us staying up it seems.

Agree with you on Cisse btw. Surely he has to score soon. A couple of stunners against Liverpool would be a good start.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Hail…No idea on Angry.

I think BDM has a bit of Beattie about him / her. Somewhat theatrical.

I do miss Beatrice though. The lad could rant and name call like a true pro.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Bobby…Apologies. Clearly that wasn’t meant to be for you. Obviously had just read your name 🙂

Betty…See post 9.

• Bobbybee

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Ibiza, no worries, i’d figured that out myself.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Bobby…Pleased to hear it.

• MadisonToon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Ibiza –

What’s this about there not being a blog soon? That would force us to find new NUFC news homes and the pickings are slim.

• Toon_Tom

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM

I would certainly keep Anita at RB and if Mbabu is fully fit get him on at LB. From whast i have seen of him so far he looks solid

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Madison…Last time we were relegated the blog closed.

It’s been assumed the same might happen this time, if we go down.

I’ve second hand information that is the case.

The pickings are slim. The idea of .co.uk makes my skin crawl – no offence to any .co.uk users, of course.

• MadisonToon

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

That would be rough! Another reason (as if we needed more) for us to stay up.

I wasn’t aware of the blog last time we went down. Did it come back straight away when NUFC came up the next season?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Madison…It was before my time too, but I believe that’s what happened.

Maybe it should be http://www.nufcblogboitpl.com

“but only in the premier league”

• Jib

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

• MadisonToon

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Might not get quite as many hits that way, Ibiza, but would certainly satisfy the truth in advertising folks.

Jib – that’s what I’m afraid of.

Maybe we could crowdsource the article writing/blog continuation?

• manxpie

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Against Liverpool we should rough them up as much as possible as none of them will wanna miss the semi final especially sturridge get a fair but hard challenge in on him early and he won’t be up for it
    as long as it’s not tiote doing it
    I fancy a bit of a classic actually surprised sky aren’t showing it 20 years on with rafa in charge too

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

The blog could be nearing it’s end? That’s real sad, my only way of interaction with fellow Newcastle fans aswell. Shame.

• beermonkey

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

has any1 actually asked ed if he is going to close the blog

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Not sure, I’m just going off of third hand information.

• toonking

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM

jam and colo are still out injured, they can remain injured for all i care because this current back line is looking the most defensive of them all meaning not as much help is needed from the rest who can give more energy into attack rather than scrample back to cover the huge space left by jam and get sh1t commands from leaderless colo.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Ed didn’t close Blog when we went down last time ( at least not immediately) see above as example and I can’t recall exactly when but may have been when in PL (?)

As I recall and posted some weeks ago it had to do with his server costs or some such and I don’t believe his advertising income was great then. Given his advancing age and the shanagins on here few months back it may well be if we do go down Ed feels enough is enough ( and I wouldn’t blame him). Certainly coverage in the States won’t be as high and the Blog is a different place than some years ago.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Magscar

That seems correct sadly.

• lesh

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Magscar

Ed’s the authority but memory suggests that Ed closed the Blog as he had an offer of work in his specialist field (IT).

I may of course be wrong but I’m sure Ed would clarify if you were to ask him.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:07 PM

I hope it doesn’t close down. I’ve read this everyday for years, like a lot of you.

• lesh

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Now if our fans were to find a couple of scouse crackheads (that shouldn’t be a problem!), offer them a couple of quid to nick the hub caps from the bindipper’s players’ cars and bingo, their minds are off the game and we get three points.

• roblee7

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I remember the blog closing when we were relegated, but can’t remember why it happened. Think something to do with lack of coverage of games in the States. I rarely leave comments any more but thought I’d chip in…yes it was down for that one season and then straight back up again when we were promoted. I seem to remember Ed’s son taking over for a while though, not sure if that was when we were in the Championship?

• magscar

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Still don’t think it was down for a whole season – this post

shows was running when we were promoted. Fairly sure it was whilst we were in PL that Ed shut down for a few months and also as RobLee7 says that Ed’s son was also involved for a time.

• magscar

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Looks as though some think it has already shut down 🙂

• mindshaft

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Thought Ed closed it last time due to his illness, his son kept it going with the odd post

• MadisonToon

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Sorry for turning things toward doom and gloom. If it is going to go down, I think there will be a committed set of folks to help it stay afloat even in the Championship.

However, we win on Saturday and we’re staying up and don’t have to even think about it. We draw on Saturday and it’s touch and go, we lose and, well, I’d love to say it’s touch and go, but we’ll be really lucky to get out of the bottom 3 then.

• mindshaft

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Last time Ed stopped updating the blog, I asked if I could take it over but he never replied, think quite a few were willing at the time

• Bambams

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM

We won’t need Ed to close the blog down….
    We are staying up !

Have faith in Rafa and our new improved back four ……

• Jib

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Qué sorpresa !
    Lawro predicts 2 – 0 to the bindippers

• toon kk

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM

It will be interesting to see if we turn up tomorrow, if hopefully our players have eventually got the message over off Rafa that you have to work hard to grind a result we may have a good chance of getting something from the game.
    What concerns me is our lack of striker ability to score. We’re relying on other team members for our goals. Not usually the way. But as long as we score thats what counts.

• SPRINGY

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:44 PM

pretty sure cisse is playing for his movement and closing down ability,he’s a willing runner….cant be for his hold up play as his first touch is horrendous…but starting with him is working,i like mbabu and mitro but we have to start with the same team as tuesday, the morra….dont change it,if its not broke.