The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez – We Have To Do Our Job In Last Three Games

6:26 pm, Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Newcastle for the second game running got a hard-earned draw against a top side in form – this time the draw was at Liverpool where our lads made a remarkable comeback to get a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down after only 30 minutes and 1-0 down after only a couple of minutes.

After the game the Newcastle manager was pleased, but we still gave away a sloppy goal after only 68 seconds to Daniel Sturridge, when we had two men marking the Liverpool striker but he was allowed to turn and rifle the ball home with his left foot..

Rafael+Benitez+Liverpool+v+Newcastle+United+s3vR87dhO7yl (1)

Rafa Benitez – thumbs up after the game

This is what the Newcastle manager said immediately after the game:

“It was emotional. The fans, the city, the club, I have a very good relationship with Liverpool. It was emotional because the fans sang my name and afterwards they sang my name. I was pleased to have that reaction and I was pleased to get a point against a very good team.”

“You never know how important the point will be. We have to do our job in the other games. The reaction of the team shows they still believe. Hopefully the next games, the fans will continue to show their support against Crystal Palace and we can get more points.”

“We have to keep going. I have told the players it is important to understand that the reaction is only part of the way and that it is more important not to make mistakes and allow the other teams to go ahead at the beginning of games.”

“We lost at Leicester, didn’t play well against Southampton and started to improve against Norwich. We needed to show character and the belief we showed against Manchester City was there again here.”

“We did it and that is the positive thing.”

“More than shouting at them they had to realise how we have to play if we want to stay up. I said so many times since I was here, that they have trained really well and they needed confidence.”

“They have shown confidence and character and passion.”

“We have seen that in the last few games.”

Rafa and his coaches will have their work cut out in this coming week to further tighten the Newcastle defense, so we can get better for the final three matches of the season.

But Rafa is only concerned about the next game – at home to Alan Pardew’s Crystal Palace next Saturday – and somehow getting all 3 points in that game.

We need a sell-out crowd of 52,300 mad screaming Geordies in that game at St. James’ Park.

It looks like if we can get three wins in the last three games at home to Palace and Tottenham and on the road at Aston Villa – we can now survive.

But that will be very tough given we only have 7 wins all season.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Liverpool?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Interview · Newcastle Fans · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:34 PM

I hope regardless of what eventually happens….We keep Rafa

• 2 G // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM

I’m begining to believe we may survive? Need the mackems to lose their 2 in hand, and Norwich to lose games, but whatever happens, I agree we need to keep Rafa.

• 3 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM

If the mackems struggle v Arsenal tomorrow we might have the added bonus of clattermole seeing red at some stage. That would do for them good style. I’m sure Ramsey can wind the little git up enough. 🙂

• 4 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM

If Rafa stays we’ll win the Championship at a canter imo. Then again, I ain’t planning on going down yet, not by a long shot. I reckon it is in our own hands, because if we win all three we will stay up.

• 5 Sir Braveheart // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Oh God…..the hope is excruciating!!

• 6 stuart no9 // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM

stuart no9 // Apr 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM

2 stuart no9 // Apr 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM

stuart no9 // Apr 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM

we are not down yet ,
    3 poinrts v swansea
    1 point v city
    1 point v liverpool
    3 points v palace
    3 v villa
    3 v spurs coz leicester have won the title,
    another 14 points will be enough to keep us up
    AND raffa stays

Of course we can still do it
    hahaha , come on lads, were nearly there
    hahahaah come on im on course for a full house , HWTL

• 7 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:50 PM

It’s strange, I had us to stay up even with a 2-1 loss chalked down for today, yet we’ve drawn and I now feel less sure. Think it’ that 1st half and the fact our 2 goals were just pure isolated moments.

Anita and Townsend our best, but I’d only give them 6s. Think that’s where my knocked confidence stems from. Performance wasn’t great to say the least.

• 8 toon kk // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM

From previous, Sunderland will be nervous of our current form? Is that our first or second half display.i hope we pull off a miracle but it’s out of our hands mate.

• 9 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Sir braveheart, it’s what makes being a fan magic marra lmao! All season they’ve brought us nowt but stress and suddenly there is hope. I’m taking my seat in SJP on friday night, i can’t wait till saturday lol. If we get an early goal I’ll spontaneously combust. If we can keep Rafa – and i think we will – the future suddenly looks very bright.

• 10 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Toon kk. Form includes the whole game marra, not half games. Why would it. Momentum is with us now and it’s not unlikely we could win all three. Just enjoy the moment, it’s not like we’ve had much to enjoy this last few seasons.

• 11 Ron Knee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Like Krook in Bleak House, Bobby?

• 12 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Ron, remind me. Long time since i read dickens lol

• 13 Yo-yo // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM

I am dreading the chance of a repetition of the Villa game after what happened there last time we went down.

I can’t believe that Rafa would let that happen

• 14 ArtyH // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM

To be fair they were all over us and first to the ball most of the game, but we kept fighting and got a point and it feels like 3. Rafa is falling in love with the club and us fans, I think he will stay, and has been said before we will win the Championship first go if relegated but I think we will stay up by the smallest margins. The dirty lot down the road to take a beating of Arsenal would be the icing on the cake.

• 15 Ron Knee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Bobby, I think he had a problem with gin if I remember rightly!

• 16 Jib // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Bobby Bee’s boots

• 17 toon kk // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM

I’m enjoying the last few games, if only the board had seen sense and sacked Macca before the January transfer window, but they didn’t so it’s to late for survival although it’s great watching a premier league team for the first time, at least our last three games have been.
    But miracles can happen, here’s hoping.

• 18 Munster Mag // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Bobby i think we would take 7 or even 9 points but i still think the makems will stay up and we will go down. Sam is a bit of an ogre in my life! They have bought well and have been impressive at times. Its appalling that they cud send us down possibly on goal difference. Could be scars for years to come. Fats needs to do everything to keep rafa and allow him to rebuild. I dont fancy arsenal tomorrow. I just dont trust them against sam teams 🙁

• 19 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Not me ron, gave up drinking for my ST marra 🙂

Jib, ha ha! Too right. Don’t care about the naysayers marra, I’ll believe until the dying seconds. The rollercoaster ride that is NUFC. It’s the possibility of what might lie ahead with Rafa that excites me. If it all goes tits up – what’s new?

• 20 Rotonda heights // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM

can’t agree re – janmatt. he’s been exceptionally poor with his defensive positioning, even worse than taylor and that says it all.

Plus he’s very wasteful with his final ball when he gets forward. apart from one great assist for wijni v west ham, he’sbeen hugely ineffective.
    Finally he’s always a red card waiting to happen. Anita for me all day long.

• 21 NoahJ // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM

It would be classic newcastle to do so well against three tough teams and then blow it against palace and villa (remember last time we faced villa, on the crest of a wave, and then bottled it?)

Just praying for a mackem loss tomorrow- i genuinely believe if they get anything, then that will be it

• 22 AMEOBI // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, pleased I ain’t mad! ?

• 23 Rotonda heights // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:34 PM

sadly i agree. wenger v allardyce is beauty and the beast but i think the beast may shade it.

• 24 Rotonda heights // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:35 PM

whatever you think about martinez, lukaku really killed him today 7 chances!!

• 25 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Toon kk, that’s the spirit. We all know macca should’ve gone earlier – a big mistake in a long line of them stretching back years – but we can’t change any of it now. It’s history and it’s the best place for it.

Munster, it may be too little too late, but i seriously think 9 points will do it. The mackems ain’t all that after all. A good thrashing tomorrow will finish them imo. I’ll give em six points, seven max. And that’s if they’re lucky. This is sunderland remember, not barcalona 😉

• 26 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM

To think we equalised against Norwich in the 86th minute only for them to score a winner in the last minute of stoppage time. They’d be on 29 and we’d be on 31 right now had we not thrown it away.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:43 PM

If we go down and Rafa stays I’ll get over it. But if he doesn’t I’ll be tearing myself up for years to come about the fact that we’d probably be safe as houses by now with a bright future ahead if he’d been brought in after that Chelsea debacle when the plyers couldn’t have made a clearer statement than they wanted shot of the hapless tuft.

• 28 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Jail, got a sneaky feeling he’ll stay regardless marra. What a way to sign off, by resurrecting a sleeping giant and winning us something? I doubt he can resist the challenge.

• 29 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Ameobi, far from being mad mate. You only drop a player if someone better becomes available. The balance is right and Rafa’s no mug.

• 30 Rotonda heights // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM

It’s all ifs and buts. looking at norwich’s 3rd goal against us we got unlucky with the double hand ball, but also the way shelvey failed to get across and cover was shocking, not surprised rafa doesn’t start him.

• 31 magpie6699 // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Sadly staying up has not been in our own hands since the Norwich game. It’s a crying shame seeing what can be achieved in a few weeks by a decent manager even with a patchwork team which is not his. . I am so desperate to keep Rafa – he even speaks better English than either Pardew or McClaren. I just hope he might want to continue this “project” he has started even if we do go down.

• 32 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM

It might not be entirely in our own hands on paper, but i still think 9 points does it for us. It’s scientifically proven that positive thought works. Time for the entire geordie nation to believe we can do it. Everyone, including the so called experts and bookies had us down for sure, just a couple of weeks ago. Now they ain’t so sure. Concentrate on doing our bit and let fate take care of itself. Repeat after me: we can escape! We can survive! In Rafa we trust! 🙂

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Although I’m keeping the faith until it’s too late we needed to beat Norwich and the mackems, the last two results would have been great bonus points, we’d have been six points clear of the mackems and eight ahead of Norwich. Game set and match and going to Villa with more bed sheets than BHS.

• 34 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Yeah, really needs to work on his stamina and mobility, same with Mitro. The only reason Cisse is getting the nod ahead of him is because of his mobility, even though he’s only average in that department it’s enough to win out over Mitro because he can defend from the front and contribute to the high energy game.

Mitro and Shelvey both came on today and both looked more lethargic than those that started, despite the fact they’d already had an hour plus on their legs.

• 35 Munster Mag // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Bobby in fairness rafa got lucky today. Another bad first half and a bit of a fluke to get back in the game. That said, i wud take relegation to keep him. Of course if he leaves, there are other good managers in the world, if ashley has seen the benefit of what a smart manager brings to the table.

• 36 Munster Mag // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Jail i totally agree. I blamed rafa for not tearing into sunderland at home. His conservative approach hurt us badly. It was the mackems – i dont care if we had lost 10 in a row to them.

• 37 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Jail, i know what you’re saying matey, but we can’t change the past. There’s any amount of games that we should have won, but what’s done is done. Can you see the mackems getting nine more points, seriously? I can’t myself, but i may be wrong. We’re still alive and have momentum pushing us along nicely. I don’t think Rafa had the derby or norwich games as wins. He knew it would take time to get to where we are now with what he had to start with. It was mission impossible to be fair, but nine points might just be enough. He believes we can get nine points and the team does now as well. If they get more, or match it, then we’ve gone down fighting and will blast right back. I just think 9 is beyond the mackems. They can have the fight, but do they have the ability?

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM

He is just starting to repair the damage that five years of a deliberate losing mentality has been instilled, how can you blame him for not being to immediately turn that around. We had lost six in a row to them and the players confidence was shot. He’s a top football manager not Helen Keller!

• 39 Bobbybee // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Munster, got lucky? Really? They scored two world class goals with nobody really at fault, yet we showed immense bottle and belief to stick to the gameplan and come back. The only real penalty call was on Perez and the ref got it wrong. No great luck there matey, we deserved the point. It was at Anfield remember, where we’ve not won since the first season we came up into the pl i believe. We normally agree so i’m sure we’ll survive this time lmao. Howay the lads!

previous post: Twitter Explodes As Newcastle Hold Reds For Great Point