The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Captain Probably Out For The Season

12:27 am, Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

Rafa Benitez has said that he is not optimistic that Fabricio Coloccini can return to play for Newcastle this season.

Colo picked up the  calf injury after the 5-1 humiliation at Chelsea when the Newcastle squad went for a short five day holiday to the south of Spain.

It was in the warm down after the 2-1 win against Lillestrom that Colo damaged the calf – and he didn’t even play in that game.

🙁

fabricio coloccini man united GREAT

Fabricio Coloccini – could have played his last game

When Newcastle returned to England it was thought at the time he had a decent chance of making it for our next game at Stoke City,  but he still hasn’t returned and had a set-back in training last week.

It doesn’t look good for Colo as Rafa has said this today when asked if the captain could return this season:

“I hope so but the setback was worse than I was expecting. I am not very optimistic at the moment.”

We have three game left after the Liverpool game and our final game in on Sunday 15th May at home to Tottenham, so there’s just over three weeks left for Colo to recover.

It could even be that the Chelsea game turns out to be Coloccini’s last game for the club,  since he could leave Newcastle this summer – whether we stay up or go down.

It’s certain that a top center-back will be drafted in this summer to fortify the squad – and we should have done that last summer.

Coloccini joined us from Spanish side Deportivo in August of 2008 for around £10.4M and he’s played 263 games with 7 goals.

He has one year left on his contract this summer after it was extended by former coach Steve McClaren last August.

edward harrison 23

Note: It’s exactly nine years this Saturday since I started this blog on 23rd August 2007 – mainly for those fans away from Newcastle around the world. It’s a one man blog so go easy on me in my retirement.

🙂

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Management · Prayer · Premier League · Press

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 lesh // Apr 23, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Oh dear. How will we survive?

But, with Rafa on board we will for he has the vision and talent to bring out the best in those that want to be winners.

Does Mr Ashley want to jump on board? I hope so.

• 2 lesh // Apr 23, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Ed, if you’d said nine years since April 23rd, it’d make more sense. Sack the sub-editor!

Well done Ed, you’ve got stamina. You’re a star (a blue one at that 😉 )

• 3 beefman13 // Apr 23, 2016 at 12:49 AM

This man Coloccini, out for the season, what a con job, every season somewhere along the line he goes missing, always on full pay, fed up with the kid, has the bugga got another year left on his contract! That alone is enough to get rid of Charnley!

• 4 Magpie Season // Apr 23, 2016 at 1:12 AM

beefman,

lol mate all players get paid their weekly wages even if they are out injured.

• 5 jimmysmith // Apr 23, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Newcastle could let a number of quality players go, like Janmaat, Widjnaldum, DeJong and perhaps Krul, as well as the likes of Taylor, Obertan, Rivierre, Doumbia, Cisse, Gouffran and maybe even Tiote, secure some decent transfer fees and get some wages off the books and still have more than enough if Rafa were at the helm to bounce back. It would be a terrible set back, but I’d still be confident he would rebuild us. He still has a legacy at Liverpool. Why then not us?

• 6 lesh // Apr 23, 2016 at 1:45 AM

Jimmysmith

If we show him the love he needs, he’ll stay – Ashley permitting.

It’s up to you Mikey boy – you’ll come out this smelling of roses

• 7 Magpie Season // Apr 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM

Jimmy,

Thanks for the laugh mate. Saw the word ‘quality’ & then Riviere & Gouffran.

I’m not sure we can offload a lot. Look at the QPR team that went down few seasons ago. They struggled to lose their players on high wages that flopped for them during their relegation. Also with Hull City, Abel Hernandez, Livermore & Huddlestone still there.

• 8 Magpie Season // Apr 23, 2016 at 1:55 AM

Mike Ashley will sell the club in 2019.

At least that’s what he does in my Football Manager save.

• 9 Magtoonpie // Apr 23, 2016 at 2:01 AM

Sometimes I feel people have been harsh on coli this season I can recall he had an option of leaving and opted to stay at the last relegation battle. Maybe hes not right for the club now but don’t take away all hes done. Oh and ed dont care what month it is, hes retired. I for one dont have the guardian or the other papers to keep me up to date so I enjoy the blog.

• 10 toonincheek // Apr 23, 2016 at 4:37 AM

Headline – Sun on Sunday

“Married football boss ‘gags paper’ over sex texts claim”

Oh how I am hoping its . . . .

• 11 lesh // Apr 23, 2016 at 4:44 AM

Toonincheek

What’s this about the wished-for headline? Anyone we know perchance??

• 12 toonincheek // Apr 23, 2016 at 5:06 AM

lesh –

Don’t know who yet – subject of a gagging order.

Details of the parties involved in the last gagging order left me gagging.

• 13 beermonkey // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:05 AM

any1 else think lashelles pulled colo aside and told him to stay injured
    or is he just being his usual wimpy self

does any1 know what his injury is

toonincheek

who was the celeb couple in the 3somes

• 14 Tsunki // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:14 AM

The only really lame thing about colo are the injuries he contrives. Bad back. Tweaked ankle. Right.

• 15 Jib // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Is it a coincidence that NUFCBLOG.com was started on the anniversary of both Shakespeares birth and death ? – I think not !

• 16 Jib // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM

The things we do on matchday.

Get some essential supplies from the D.I.Y. centre
    I’m going to fix the backgarden gate.
    Mow both front and back lawns .
    Do some shopping for the missus.
    All in a vain effort to keep the mind occupied until KO time.
    Plenty of coverage today.
    It’s on both Spanish and French Canal+
    It’s also on Irish Setanta which I’ll probably watch regardless of the Liverpool biased Irish commentary.

Come on Rafa break another unwanted Toon record today !!!

• 17 Munster Mag // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:43 AM

I felt pre man city that we wud win. I think we can get a point today, 2-2. Rafa doing a great job now and the change in some players is amazing. Cisse will play again for his mobility (relative!). For all the talk re ben arfa, rafa wudnt let a guy like him near the team.

• 18 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:50 AM

beermonkey @13 – Not sure you are allowed to name him – even on a blog. However put it this way – “The Rocket Man is waiting for Daniel on a plane tonight” 🙂

• 19 dalton7675 // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:52 AM

is that such a bad thing col has been dreadful get rid

• 20 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM

By the way Congratulations on your blog anniversary Ed – although I’m Newcastle based I still enjoy reading the blog.
    To football I’m a bit worried we may still have some of our inconsistency in the team and not turn up today – if we do we can hopefully scrape a draw especially if they play a weakened team.

• 21 beermonkey // Apr 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM

martoon

really well thank you

toonincheek

i just read the sun and in there they claim

Fans already subject him to regular terrace taunts of: “He shags who he wants.”

• 22 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:07 AM

beermonkey @21 – Not sure which manager you are referring to – any chance of a clue? 😉

• 23 beermonkey // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM

martoon

He has previously won a court order banning revelations about an affair

• 24 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Are Paddy Power running a book on it.

• 25 Fostino // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM

With a solid back 5..2 engines in sissoko and colback..A protector in tiote..another engine with end product in townsand and wini.we just need a striker who can score a few….cisse dies well against the pool ut mitro in better form..Both will get a chance

Arrons. .perez to make an impact too at sone stage

• 26 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM

On Collo. I think he realizes that he is finished at this level.
    He has always been slow/not quick, but he is now beyond slow. Still a technically gifted player, but you can’t go a full game without that lack of mobility being exposed.
    If you went 3 at the back could you put him in the middle with two quick lads either side.
    Perhaps, but this is not the time to experiment.

• 27 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I remember when Dabizas played for us. If he was exposed with space down the sides of him it didnt end well. That was as one of two centre halfs.
    Then he played for Greece against England in a three. He did what he was good at attacking the ball with aggression.
    The two either side covered for him and he had a great game.
    Make of that what you will.

• 28 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Beermonkey ok got it – pity I was hoping it might have been Big Sam or the Norwich manager to act as a distraction!

• 29 Munster Mag // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Posada, colo wud always have been a brilliant sweeper, but the sweeper system disappeared with the advent of the holding midfielder. I dont think a holding midfielder is a must, unless he is brilliant. Ideally any midfielder should be able to defend pass and attack

• 30 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Posada whenever I here Dabizas you can’t help but think Dennis Bergkamp 🙂

• 31 martoon // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM

**hear for the spelling police

• 32 Jib // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Posada

I wonder how much McClaren had Colo foisted on him and if he regrets not being more of his own man now ?

On the other

The Telegraph says it is a manager who has used the phrase “players must be a role model”

The Star shows a picture of th PL winners cup.

Could it be a certain Portuguese gentleman who some people would like to fail in his bid to manage MU.

• 33 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Martoon. That’s a low blow. Ha ha.
    Mat Le Tis holds the view that Bergkamp did that by accident. Mat – I know what he was trying to do and it wasn’t that.
    I think it would have beaten most folks really, whatever it was.

• 34 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Munster at 29. Interesting point.
    For me we played 4/1/4/1 against Swansea with Toite in front of the centre halfs. Often no more than 3 to 4 yards in front of them.
    When he went off niether Shelvey nor Colback could do the same job and we nearly conceded 2 goals.
    Could they not do it or did they just no want to do it ?

• 35 posada // Apr 23, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Jib
    Thanks for the clue.

I was going to ask for a hint based on haircuts. The Chrome Dome, The Hippo Head, The Bombed Out Perm, The Comb Over, The Napoleon, The Divine Tuft. But no need now.

On Collo. Do they still have him as an asset of 10M on the books. Does it make the accounts look better.

previous post: Benitez – Players, Fans And Staff Thought We Were Going Down