The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It Felt Like A Win – But We Have To Improve

11:46 pm, Sunday, April 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

You cannot accuse Rafa Benitez of not being confident and positive since he´s been at Newcastle just over six weeks now.

He´s worked his socks off to try to save Newcastle from the drop, but we have only 6 points – three draws and a win to show for all that effort – after seven games played.

But now we have three winnable game to play and if we can get three wins we could be safe.

bio pecchia rafa benitez

Fabio Pecchia and Rafa Benitez on Saturday

Rafa was asked after the game on Saturday after coming back form 2-0 down after only 30 minutes at Anfield and getting a very credible 2-2 draw.

This is what Rafa said:

“Yeah it feels like a win because nobody is expecting to concede a goal in the first two minutes.”

“After conceding the second goal, the problem we had was very difficult. Then we had to chase things.”

“We talked about having nothing to lose at half-time and I think the reaction of the players was fine.” “I’m really pleased because we have got the point.”

“The first half was a little bit concerning about the mistakes we were making.” “But the reaction is the main positive thing we can take from this game.”

“I hope we have momentum so because there are still three important games to play and if we can play like we did in the second half – more play than fight, because I know we can improve on the ball – then fine.”

“I know we have to improve on the ball, but if we have the same spirit we can keep the momentum going.”

But in these final three games we cannot start like we did at Liverpool and like we did at Southampton two weeks ago, when in each game we conceded a goal within a few minutes of the kick-off.

On Saturday Sturridge had the ball in the back of the net after just 68 seconds.

🙁

That´s where Rafa and his coaches have got to do a monumental coaching job to get the lads ready for each of these last three games,  which are simply critical for the future of Newcastle United.

Another relegation for the club would be a complete and utter disaster and it would be unbearable if we lost Rafa Benitez in the process.

Completely unbearable – after Rafa has brought everybody at the club together in a very short six weeks and has the players fighting for the shirt like in days of old.

Here are the final three games.

April
Sat 30	15:00	H	Crystal Palace
May
Sat 07	15:00	A	Aston Villa
Sun 15	15:00	H	Tottenham

And here´s Rafa´s record at Newcastle so far.

Premier LeaguePlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
2015-2016103431612413

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Mr Blobby Bee – STFU.
    You’ve killed the blog.

Blobby blobby blobby —–Rant.
    Blobby blobby blobby——Rant.

• 2 GeordieTwo // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Who is Bobbybee anyway? Was he on here as someone else? We’ve got to get into the buildup for the next match. I like what I’m seeing now from many of the lads. The high press really worked well against Liverpool. A lot of work but it pays off.

• 3 andrew84 // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM

For someone who’s a ‘doer rather than a talker’, Bobbybee doesn’t half have a gob on him 😀

• 4 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:11 AM

hahaaha – doer rather than a talker.
    No chance – talks a load of shyte.

• 5 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:14 AM

Wow – some “magnificent” feats of stud performance was mentioned earlier on tonight.
    30 times a night.
    Let’s not dismiss this immediately without further investigation.
    Certainly could be physically possible and you also need “partners”.

• 6 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Boo! I’m still here. Actually waiting for answers i’ve put out but either can’t answer or won’t answer. Never once posted as anybody else, i leave that to the sad ones. Those desperate for agreement, even if it comes from themselves. Tuff, you moron, one of those pathetic clowns who drove off many people with their constant ganging up on people who don’t agree with your sad little agenda. YOU nearly got the blog shut down, so try to think before you blab. You offer zero in football conversation but much in being a gobshyte. 50k of us can’t be wrong. Or is it just a couple of clowns who are right and 50k who are wrong? Maybe in your sad little world. There was Rafa agreeing with me as well. You fight till the end, not throw the towel in early whilst there’s still plenty to play for.

• 7 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:20 AM

I go to games tuff, wtf do you do? Sit behind your keyboard slagging the club off. What a joke you are. Again, offering zilch football wise. No change eh?

• 8 andrew84 // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Bobby

You talk about others ganging up on you, but to be fair I asked you a couple of questions very politely a couple of hours ago and you made it sound like I was interrogating you. I think maybe you need to lighten up a little bit.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Mr Blobby Bee – STFU – take your meds -and PO.

You are clearly devoid of a plentiful quantity of grey matter – or put it another way a right thicko.

Bravo for supporting the club by beating up other people – what a champion supporter.

Mr Blooby would be more interesting to talk to than you -dope!

Blobby blobby blobby ————– rant.

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:34 AM

Bobby

What’s this? “Those who KNOW we’re already down and can’t bear to be wrong so would prefer to cut of their noses to spite their faces than see us escape. Strange people imo.”

I’m one who thinks we’re going down. It’s just being realistic. It’s looking at the facts. It’s not kidding myself. It dorsn’t mean I’ve given up hope. Rafa hasn’t and he’s certainly getting some results of late.

I don’t think anyone is saying they KNOW we’re going down. How could anyone KNOW that? And I certainly don’t see anyone wishing us to go down to prove himself right. I’d love it if my prediction was wrong. Why wouldn’t I? We’re not down until we’re down. That’s why I was kicking every ball for Arsenal today. I’m sure almost everyone else is the same.

I think you’ll look at your ranting and raving tomorrow and feel embarrassed and ashamed at the insults you’ve doled out left, right and centre and at the laurel wreath you’ve placed on your own head.

• 11 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:35 AM

Rafa constantly expresses his belief that match going fans are so important to the club. Crucial even. But then, what does rafa know about football eh tuff? There is a hierarchy regards everything in life, and no less football fans. Those who go are part and parcel of the club, whether the blinded see it that way or not. Why you feel the need to be classed as those who take time, effort and money to follow the team is actually pitiful. But please, in your own self importance, tell me exactly how you can affect the outcome of a game, like we did in the 4-4 draw with Arsenal. Especially after the sad ones had left lol. So happy they missed that, they didn’t deserve to witness it. The difference between customers and fans. Please, without the usual name calling without substance, you explain that to me. I’m all ears.

• 12 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Mr. Blobby Bee – if there are 50,000 that think like you god help us.
    God help Tyneside.
    God Help Newcastle.
    God help the club.

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Bobby
    What’s this about being a football hooligan?

• 14 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:42 AM

B&B. Seriously? So there aren’t those strange people as you rightly put it, who haven’t been whining for weeks that we’re already down? I suggest you read the blog better my friend – there are Dozens. Realistically it doesn’t look good, none of us are saying it does, but until the maths say we are down, there are so many more like me who refuse to give up the fight than those who have been whining for weeks and are convinced we’re already doomed. Saying it before it happens is hardly showing support is it? I don’t think you’re included in the doom n gloomers marra, and i’m not sure why you seem to think you are.

• 15 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Read my reply marra, a couple of pages back. Can’t be bothered going over it all again, but that was a malicious lie, as usual, spread by jail the fail who thinks he knows me, but should know me better than to think I’s ever be his mate. He knows nowt and really, should be careful about spreading malicious rumours, bearing in mind his previous on here. Apparantly because i was a seventies fan who occasionally had to fight his way out of the den, and run the rat race at boro etc to avoid taking a kicking, i was responsible for nearly killing the game. Further evidence that a little knowledge can be dangerous when you’re full of shyte.

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Bobby
    I agree with you that there is a hierarchy of fans. I was berated on here long before you appeared for saying that those fans who follow the club home and away are much better fans than I am. The people who go to games are the lifeblood of the club. I remember being among 10,000 on the terraces on freezing, soaking Wednesday evenings when others had better things to do. But that doesn’t mean people can’t make pessimistic predictions, particularly when they’ve seen it all before. You make it sound as if you’re literally getting stripped and kicking the ball and having a negative thought prevents you. Making pessimistic comments on a blog doesn’t prevent you from going to SJP and supporting Rafa and the players. Rafa didn’t get us into this mess and he thinks he can get us out. I’m supporting him. I just can’t see it happening. If it does, it makes his achievement all the greater.

• 17 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:57 AM

Tuff, 50k true believers will be screaming the team on hoping we can avoid the drop. You, on the other hand, will be chatting shyte and making childish remarks as usual, maybe deeming to watch motd or wherever, but only if we win of course. Can’t be bothered when we struggle can ya? So yeah, there are 50k like me and if you don’t like that, nobody will lose any sleep over it.

• 18 andrew84 // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:03 AM

I personally think that the vast majority of stayaways have been doing so not because the team has not been winning, but because they have seen the likes of Sissoko, Janmaat, Coloccini etc, not bothering their ar$es to put in a shift, so they’ve understandably thought ‘why should I bother?’.

The fans who have stayed regardless should be commended, but just because other fans might have felt that they were getting short changed and therefore found other things to do with their time, they should not be ridiculed and pigeon-holed as being plastic fans.

• 19 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:06 AM

B&B, seems we pretty much agree then marra. The original argument is getting lost by those who it suits better. That was, for one, don’t slag off fans who give their time and effort supporting the team they pretend to support. Don’t blame us because of our current dilemma and call us happy clappers and headless chickens. Don’t ask me to boycott when you yourself – not you of course B&B – have nothing to give up yourselves. Boycotting when you’ve never been is just ludicrous and beyond belief that they expect us to. If you don’t go to games, in other words, don’t tell those who do how we should behave. Anything more than that has been added by those lacking any real argument. We know how to support our club, we do it every week.

• 20 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Ok andrew 84, does fair weather fan sound betrer? You prove my point for me. Real fans, regardless of which club they support, offer that support unconditionally and results mean nothing. Now maybe the truth is you don’t get that, because it’s easy to support a winning team. You’ve just as much said so yourself. Those who run away when the going gets tough aren’t really proper fans are they? Or am I missing something here? By your own mouth, you’ve just explained that those fans really aren’t as committed as those who turn up regardless. I’m done. I rest my case completely. Game set and match. Unbelievable.

• 21 Geordiedownunder // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Girls, girls…… Can we stick to the main reason this blog was designed for…. Supporting the club… And not degenerating into personal insults.
    It’s childish and doesn’t help anyone. A waste of space with no positive outcome for anyone, especially NUFC.

• 22 reilly // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:18 AM

i was a st holder for the best part of 20 years.but change of job takes me away from home alot and it didnt make sense paying for a st that i would hardly use.
    if that makes me a plastic fan then so be it.

• 23 andrew84 // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:20 AM

Bobbybee

If you could just see your way to shifting that extremely large chip off your shoulder for a couple of minutes – I was actually paying you a compliment by saying you deserve to be commended. I suppose you’re well and truly in ‘victim’ mode though so I’ll try and let it slide.

Bit amused by the ‘game set and match’ comment mind – I wasn’t actually competing against you, as arguing with bigots is not what I do.

• 24 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:38 AM

B&B, we were both there on those crappy nights when we were one of less than 10k. We stuck by the club when others, as you say, had given up on the club. I truly hope our current bunch of supporters never have to face such dismal days as we had to put up with. They think this is bad? Jesus wept. That was a nightmare, but those who were there then, and are lucky enough to be still alive, are still going marra. I know, because i see them there myself and we always share that knowing nod. Some day my disability – which now leaves me having to choose between a night out or going to the game; that some morons feel the right to gloat about – will eventually get the better of me and i’ll be unable to attend. Moving back home has thankfully extended the time when that will eventually come to pass. That doesn’t make me a better fan than those who still attend and i’ve never claimed it did, but it does make me a better fan than those who choose not to go because they have better things to do. See, i don’t think there is anything better to do and never have. You know where i’m coming from anyway. People distort what i say to try and feel important, but i won’t mince my words. I say it how i see it and bollox to the consequences, because i know my argument stands up with those who matter to me. If you’ve never gone to games and never will, you simply won’t get what it feels like to be there, win lose or draw. It doesn’t make you any less of a person, not in a million years, but it certainly doesn’t make you a die hard fan, no matter which way you dress it
    up. There’s plenty who come on here primarily to attack people, regardless of football, when to me this is a football blog and all my points are football related. Every single one. Deep down they know the score, but generalky call me names and scuttle off because they can’t offer a reasonble response. Real football fans attend games at sometime in their life. If they choose not to, they slip down the hierarchy like it or not, as i dimmed in comparison to the undertaker, god bless his soul.

• 25 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:01 AM

No reilly, it doesn’t. If that’s trying once more to put words into my mouth, don’t bother. Try reading what i write before looking for a pointless row. You’ve proven your loyalty, why bother? Seriously, how many times do you have to say the same thing?
    Andrew, like it or not, if people choose to do something else because they’re sick of seeing us struggle, it kinda does make them a fair weather fan. There is no argument to that point. You describing those who still go as headless chickens kinda confirms my argument though. So we’re headless chickens then? All 50k of us. I also suggest you understand the word bigot better my friend, it conjures up ideas of racism and other equally nasty beliefs, which i find reprehensible. If you believe fans who turn their back on their club when they feel the team isn’t good enough, is showing true support, then you’re beyond help. That perfectly describes fair weather fans beyond any argument. Your own words, not mine. Don’t try to turn that on me. You said it. If being proud of my undying support makes me the bad guy, than ask me if I’m bothered? Bothered? Face, bothered? Not me marra. When the likes of me – and there are tens of thousands like me – say ‘Newcastle till we die’, it ain’t idle talk. It means what it says on the can. And if you think that makes us headless chickens, or even happy clappers, then shame on you. Bigot though? Buy a dictionary.

• 26 andrew84 // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:11 AM

Bobby

I have too much dignity to get involved in a debate with someone who uses the phrase “Face, bothered”.

And my interpretation of the word ‘bigot’ is accurate. I believe the definition (and I’m paraphrasing) refers to someone who has no tolerance for people with different opinions to their own. You’re the one who, for some completely bizarre reason, seems to associate it purely with racism.

Anyway I’m going to quit for the night, and let you carry on with your self-righteous bluster. I’m sure you won’t mind, after all you have tens of thousands of fellow like-minded real fans who you can nod knowingly at. Night 🙂

• 27 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:15 AM

Blobby Bee – what a load of blurting shyte you come out with.

You must be related to Mr Blobby – although he was probably not as dumb and offensive as you.
    You are a true hero – beating people up – giving the club a bad name. What a mug!.

• 28 reilly // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:16 AM

wtf.im not looking for anything.i was just stating my reason why i dont go anymore.you need to give your head a shake.

• 29 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:27 AM

Back to my original point, before it got hijacked. Three games to go. Three wins i believe keeps us up. Agree? Disagree? Which is why we need to ALL get behind the lads and shout ourselves hoarse, in an effort to avoid what until lately looked odds on – the dreaded R word. Myself i won’t accept we’re down until that fat knacker howls her head off. This bollox are started because i had the temerity to point out that we were actualky better off with the mackems drawing, than we were before they kicked off. My point was that the safety point is still currently 32 points, no worse off than before their game. However, better for us is the fact that they’ve now lost one game in hand without changing the gap. The only single difference is that there is now two clubs on 31 points, rather than one. The gap to safety is still the same. The doom n gloomers couldn’t see it that way. No change there.

• 30 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:38 AM

Tuff. Seriously, no joking. How old are you? Your entire contribution to this blog is peurile insults and attacking those who talk football. Be it me, jib is your favourite, or anybody else who differs from your sad little agenda. Grow up ffs. At least i back up my thoughts with reasonable argument and hard truths some find painful because it shows them up. You just stand on the sides throwing in childish insults with zero substance. Can’t argue, because you know you’re wrong, or have nothing real to contribute. Seriously, you are a sad little man, probably lacking real friends judging by the time you spend on here insulting people who offer real points, whether you like those points or not. I defend myself with arguments some find unpalatable because they cut deep and hurt their pride. Very juvenile from yourself, but then, that’s you innit? A pathetic spoiled child.

• 31 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:43 AM

Reilly, as i pointed out, that doesn’t make you a plastic fan. If that came across as some kind of insult, it wasn’t meant, although your response does suggest you are looking for a row. My apologies if you’ve taken insult where none was meant. My head doesn’t need shaking thank you very much. 🙂

• 32 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:49 AM

So, come on tuff. Who did i beat up? Mr know it all, you must be able to back up such shyte. Another moron who wishes to accuse seventies fans without any justification. You know nothing tuff NOT ONE THING. Pathetic little toad, nothing more.

• 33 Santon03 // Apr 25, 2016 at 4:17 AM

I hope we will stay in epl after all the hardwork Rafa is starting to show his management quality, we will probably in top 6 next season.
    I never thought that this team can be this good under good manager, I’m just wondering how much damage did SM do to the team, takes awhile for Rafa to fix. This team was sh!t before Rafa took over, SM really F#cked things up.
    Against liverpool we conceded 2 very good quality goals in anfield and the manner we fought back is just amazing, everyone including me probably never thought of this, we were wondering maybe 4 or 5 goals thrashing but we managed to shut liverpool fans up and put the fear in them that we were going to win it in last minute.

Everyone predicts that we will lose against spurs and get relegated.
    This is what will happen at the end of the season, our game against spurs and Leicester vs Chelsea:
    The race to the title and relegation battle will go until the last game, and we will help Leicester win it and we will escape relegation by beating spurs. Can you imagine that we will be the main character in this season story? We will be the hero not only to Leicester fans but all the fans who wants this incredible team to win the title except spurs fans.
    It’s like a great novel with a major twist at the end.

• 34 cyprus // Apr 25, 2016 at 6:06 AM

I love your titles sometimes Ed. I thought in the previous one I’d see Rafa’s shrewd plan. It was ‘to try and win the next three!’ Genious 🙂

Confession: Work abroad prohibited me from watching the last two games, so I don’t really know how we are doing, apart from the scores. The table looks ominous, however. Equalling both their points may not be enough, as we have conceded so many.

• 35 Ron Knee // Apr 25, 2016 at 6:39 AM

The calm after the storm.

• 36 Wayayman // Apr 25, 2016 at 7:08 AM

It’a a shame for everyones sake that computers dont have breathalysers built in. More than a couple of drinks and you can’t post on here or buy anything on Ebay!

• 37 G // Apr 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM

@36, I think social media is a no-go after a couple of Paul Weller’s too, especially where ex-wives are concerned!

• 38 mindshaft // Apr 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM

see the insults are still flying round on this blog ..
    Realistically it looks like we’re down and our inability to beat the sides around us is going to be our undoing.
    however , decent performances over last three games gives us a ray of hope and we just need to win our remaining games and see what happens
    Palace will be a tough game if players are trying to impress Pards for a starting place in final, however it’s late in the season and hopefully they’ll be taking it easy in order not to get injured and miss the final
    Zaha on Dummett will mean Perez or Gini will have to help out a lot defensively
    Villa should be a win and Spurs will have nothing left to play for by then hopefully

• 39 Lindisfarne // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Weird inevitability to the end of the season and what a unusual season it has been. We have won 7 games all season and virtually need to double that in the last three games, three points needed and three wins. If we somehow manage that then we are also relying on them down the road not doing the same with a game extra.

Don’t look at the horizon where the setting sun will blind you with tragedy, keep it real, focus on one match at a time and rather than predicting failure, lets see if we can weirdly wriggle out of it.

TOON TOON Attack Attack

• 40 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:21 AM

Lindisfarne
    Agree – need three wins
    and the Mackems have got to lose two or more – which I cannot see with the teams they have to play.
    Stoke – Howked 4-0 in the last three games.
    Chelsea – could be anything on holidays – new manager next season
    Everton – be on a big downer – lost cup semi-final – team in free-fall – new manager next season
    Watford – as Everton

Sadly I can see them picking up at least 2 and 2 draws.

Annoying thing is in the last 3 games the players can show what they are capable of.
    So in my eyes players and directors owe the fans a BIG apology for the SH*T they have dished out

• 41 Lindisfarne // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM

Did I say attack?

If you look up the tactical explanation on youtube, the way Simeone plays the game is simply divine and Rafa is similarly trying to create a defensive unit at NUFC.

• 42 Lindisfarne // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM

• 43 Lindisfarne // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

I was going to mention s’lunds games but you have summariesed it much better.

• 44 Lindisfarne // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Rafa staying is obviously depending on what other offers he gets, but if fans can keep the atmosphere ppositive then he will not be so quick to turn his back.

• 45 hibbitt // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

think you have summed it up perfect its got to be 3 wins now nothing else will do Rafa and the team can do it but even then will it be enough

keep the faith lads stranger things have happened in football

• 46 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Lindisfarne/Hibbit

Gonna be tough – players and fans have got to have belief and get behind the team.

Saturday the TOON travelling fans were brilliant outsung the dippers for most of the match.

• 47 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 25, 2016 at 8:59 AM

If Stoke could actually wake up and get a result against Sunderland that would make all the difference!!

• 48 davis_toons // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Talking about any players that started or played badly in games. At least, they know they earn their salary.

Seriously, why shelvey? We should have spend big on a D LRC/ DM or a CM. This is not quality.

• 49 davis_toons // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Those managing of recruitment deserve to go.

• 50 hibbitt // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:08 AM

all we can do is take one game at time get behind rafa and the team and pray

• 51 Magpie Season // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:11 AM

How will Shelvey be the highest paid player ever in championship?

Colo is on 80k a week & was so when we last went down.

What about the QPR squad? Barton was on 80k a week too.

• 52 Magpie Season // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Shelvey does not deserve to be the highest paid player at the club. When considering Cabaye, Ben Arfa & Demba Ba were on 60k or much less than that. And Ba was for free.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Reveals His Final Plan For Newcastle