The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Positive Benitez Still Hopeful Of Saving Newcastle

9:40 am, Monday, April 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

Rafa´s positive and single-minded attitude is finally getting through to our players, who have grossly under performed for the club this season,  but this week Rafa will be telling them again and again that all is not lost.

Newcastle have certainly done well to pick up 5 points in the last three very tough games – at home to Swansea and Manchester City and away to Liverpool.

jurgen klopp rafa benitez 987

Jurgen Klopp and Rafa Benitez on Saturday

We now need to keep up that same form and determination in our last three (easier) games – Crystal Palace (H), Aston Villa (A) and Tottenham (H) and with three wins we could even survive this season.

But that will also depend on how Sunderland and Norwich fare in their final four games.

Benitez has hinted he would like to take Newcastle back to Anfield next season:

“Hopefully it will be the same and we see Liverpool go in the right direction.”

“He’s a manager who’s got great experience and is a lovely person, someone who the players and the fans will enjoy.”

“Hopefully he can be successful and do well.”

“And hopefully next year we can play Newcastle and Liverpool again in the Premier League!.”

If we can stay up then Newcastle fans will be in football heaven this summer – as we all watch just how Rafa will rebuild the Newcastle team and help rebuild the club with his various recommendations to whomever is the new top executive at the club.

We assume Lee Charnley will be replaced by somebody who can do the job.

A contrast – a big contrast – will be if we are relegated and Rafa doesn´t want to coach for one season down below – and he leaves us.

That would be another tragedy Newcastle fans would have to bear.

We have had far too many of them over these last two or three years as the club seems to have been allowed to go to hell in a handbasket – until Rafa arrived on the scene on March 11th and gave us all new hope.

But hope is all we’ve had for far too long now as Newcastle fans – and we need more than that.

We need Rafa Benitez to stay.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Tom // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:44 AM

If we had an extra 2-3 games i think we would be able to gather enough points to stay up. Rafa is working wonders and has improved every aspect of the team. unfortunately i think scumderland will get points from stoke everton and watford, maybe even chelski and will stay up. We will go down with Norwich I think. I blame ashley for keeping Shteve here as long as he did. Too little too late im afraid.

My only hope is for Rafa to stay on and rebuild from the bottom up and make this team great again!

• 2 Munster Mag // Apr 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Toon Tom, I couldn’t put it better myself. Getting Sam was a major coup for a club in the mess sunderland were, and assuming he pulls it off, it will be a huge achievement. We can only hope we keep Rafa. I wonder if he would leave us for Everton who surely sack Martinez now for being an overrated bluffer who cant teach teams to defend. Catchy – I presume you will nominate your other hero Solsjaer to replace him?? 🙂

• 3 martoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I don’t want to get dragged into last night’s blog fight but as an outsider looking in both sides have a valid point. Bobby’s point is if you are a Toon supporter then you should believe we can stay up while others say they are supporters but realistic enough to think it’s too late and we can’t get enough points now. As I said you both have valid points and I don’t know why you can’t agree to disagree and move on?

• 4 beermonkey // Apr 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM

munster

i think if there are other options he will take them rather than goto everton

if arsenal dont make top4 will they give wenger the boot there could be a couple of other options open to rafa at the end of the season

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Martoon
    It was not that folk had different opinions, other than Bobby thought the Sunderlabd result was a good one and others didn’t. I don’t think anyone had a problem with that. My reading of it was (and I might be wrong) Bobby was insulting everyone who wasn’t showing 100% positivity and who were doomers and gloomers. I didn’t notice anyone criticising him for being 100% positive. He went on to make it an argument about plastic fans having the temerity to tell him how to support his team. I have seen that happen before and it boils my pish like it clearly boils Bobby’s. However, I didn’t see anyone telling him that yesterday. I don’t know how it got to that. Everyone’s a valid supporter and has a right to express pessimism if they so wish.

• 6 robertsleftfoot // Apr 25, 2016 at 10:51 AM

I think Rafa is nailed on for the Spain job, current coach retiring, Pep just took the Man City job and Rafa is either sitting king of the toon, or in the championship

I feel the same about Ranieri, Italy manager heading to Chelsea, no way he could pull off defending the title as they cant do it again (if they manage to di it this season) Ranieri leaves a hero and takes the national job.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Apr 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM

From previous thread I have to admit to being very pleasantly surprised by Townsend. I really thought he was a headless chicken, but he has shown far more intelligence to his game than I had ever imagined.

Re – Carr and the mitigating circumstances for missing out on Mahrez, Payet, Kante etc from the French league where GC would appear to predominantly spend much of his time.

Even given the situation where GC was unable to procure the services of those 3 and potentially others, in all honesty we can’t condone the appalling waste of funds on Riviere, cabella, Thauvin and to a lesser extent gouffran, Haidara, Marveaux.

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Rotonda
    Good point.

We’ve got Jib believing he’s defending Carr by telling us Carr recommended Mahrez to Pearson. He was too skinny for the toon. You couldn’t make it up.

• 9 Average_Contents // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Blackley

Yeah, that’s how I viewed it too.

The problem for me was he was stating things as facts when they were his opinions and if anybody dared disagree then they got called all sorts for it.

Take andrew84 I think it was. Asked a few perfectly polite questions then basically got jumped upon as not being a true fan.

Unlike Bobby.

Of course he has the right to feel the way he does. However, in the real world you can be as positive as you like but it doesn’t change the situation we’re in unless he physically got on the pitch and stops the other team from scoring.

The reality of our situation shouldn’t be covered up by blindly claiming we’ll survive and anyone who thinks different isn’t a real fan.

Hope is all well and good and I’m hoping we stay up by any means necessary but I also think we’ll go down purely because changes weren’t made when needed.

And just because I think we’ll go down doesn’t make me a plastic fan as Bobby kept harping on about.

It just makes me realistic in my book.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

robert’s left foot

Wouldn’t be so sure about that. Leicester’s owners are quietly seriously wealthy people and have barely opened the cheque book yet.

Imagine when they do, plus the Tv money, I can see Leicester becoming a force and moving to a bigger ground.

The team spirit, fight and determination and no little skill that Leicester have shown is remarkable and when you have that, ie all the sum of the parts working their collective socks off, rather than superstar show ponies, you can become an immovable force, like Clough’s Forest back in the day.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM

In the cold light of day my views on Bobbygate are that the guy is unquestionably a loyal, dedicated fan and has made supporting this club a way of life bordering on obsession. Obviously he wears his heart on his sleeve and at a time like this his emotions are running very , very high. He desperately wants to believe that we avoid relegation as do I and many others on here but not all.

Those that think that relegation is anything other than a negative backward step for the club are the ones that rile the emotionally embroiled fans as we don’t care about how it might affect Ashley’s already bulging pockets only the hurt we will feel.

However with regards to how we all deal with the possibility of relegation belongs to the individual personally. Some of us are optimistic by nature and others pessimistic , neither is a crime and to hope for relegation whilst fearing the worst seems to be most people’s way of handling this horrible situation we should never have been put in.

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Something else you couldn’t make up. My new next door neighbour at my flat in Huddersfield is called Mick Toon. It’s on that basis I’ve given him a key in case my alarm goes off again.

• 13 bettyswallocks // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM

From last post meant to say hoping for us not to be be relegated whilst fearing the worst.

• 14 Jib // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Just the facts Blackley – just the facts – I’m not defending anyone.
    Rotonda says
    Thauvin , Cabella , and Riviere.
    I say
    Ben Arfa , Cabaye , and Sissoko.

If football was an exact Science , you would still be thick as a bull’s lug.

• 15 jayphoto // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM

I’m no fan of Carr, but you can’t blame him for missing out on Mahrez and Kante. Mahrez hardly set ligue 2 alight and even Pearson didn’t fancy him much.
    On Kante, pretty sure we looked at him extensively, but we weren’t the only team to miss out on him. My bet is Arsenal end up spending 25m on him when Wenger would have known about him as he has great contacts with Caen!
    Shocked we never signed Boudebouz and Corchia! Wouldn’t surprise me if he signs corchia in the future if Carr keeps power. Younes Belhanda is one I think we missed out on, as is Khazra now at sunderland

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Average
    That’s how I see it too. You’re not going to change a thing by being pessimistic (I call it being realistic). The fans can only turn up and support. They’re not kicking the ball. Having at least a scintilla of hope is better than nothing but it is also torture. I’m mad at the arrogant Charnley and Co for putting us in this situation and I’m more or less resigned to our fate. Supporting Rafa and the team 100% in the last few games is not incompatible with that. I don’t why Bobby thinks it is.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Why are people still banging on about Bobby’s comments, if you don’t like them then don’t read or reply, simple really.

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Jib
    Football is not even a science never mind an exact one. The league’s player of the season, spotted by Carr, recommended by Carr to Pearson. What you seemingly fail to understand is that it is Carr’s job to spot these players. Not only that, but to get them for NUFC not Leicester, little Leicester whom Mahrez has helped in no small part to win the title. Okay, you can’t hold Carr to account for everything. Just the players he’s bought and just some of the top players he’s rejected. But recommending the best player in the league to your opposition who go on to win the league. Woo hoo. You couldn’t make it up. That’s up there with “You never win anything with kids”.

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Jib
    You know so little about football, you can’t see the problem, never mind the irony.

• 20 jayphoto // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM

I remember when Leicester got promoted and the owners said stay up in first season, europe in the second, champions in the third… everyone took the proverbial..thai people rarely joke in my experience
    Was in bangkok late 2015 and was surprised how much leicester merch i saw! They have a platform to become a brand. Charming elder statesman manager, Jamie Vardys movie will get some big exposure etc, the fox brand is pretty cool too. The owners have serious money, with champions leaugue etc they have the potential to become a global player. Next season will be interesting, can see liverpool and man city being stronger, west ham too. If arsenal and man utd stick with wenger and van gaal it wouldn’t surprise me to see them languish around 5th-7th

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Blackley

We cant win anything with adults never mind kids.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Welsh
    I noticed you posted @17. I usually just ignore your posts. Why are you banging on about people’s posts that are banging on? Why don’t you follow your own advice and if you don’t like them, don’t read or reply. Simple really.

• 23 magpie6699 // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:43 AM

The argument all seems so pathetic really. I’m desperate for us to stay up and at least the team has given us a glimmer of hope but anybody who says that we are some sort of doom merchants if we say it’s very unlikely is completely missing the point. It has not been in our hands since we lost to Norwich: even if we get 9 points from our last 3 games, if Sunderland get anything more than 8 from their last 4 then we are down. And I’m not counting Norwich in this. Look at the bookies” odds – we are around 1:4 for relegation, Sunderland are evens. Bookies know what they are doing when the odds shorten on a favourite. Of course an outsider can still win the race and until it’s a mathematical certainty we shouldn’t give up.
    Incidentally I have supported Newcastle for over 50 years and my dad before me. I will continue to support them if we are relegated. I just hope Rafa stays, regardless.

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 25, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Jib
    It’s up there with your classic. Don’t count the big thrashings and our goal difference is a whole lot better. Woo hoo.

• 25 reilly // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM

• 26 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:06 PM

magpie – as you point out – our fate does not rest with us alone – it is now unfortunately in the hands of others.
    I too have supported the club for well over 50 years and have to judge that we will probably go down – or that there is more chance of us going down than staying up -Sunderland and Norwich have more points than us.
    That is not to say however, that we want our team to go down – it is just that there are more odds for us to go down.

We need more belief/hope that OTHERS are going to fail – and it that is so and we win we may just make it. But again there is more chance we will not.

• 27 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM

As for last nights raucous behaviour by Mr Blobby Bee – I do have a possible explanation.

Saturday was a full moon (99%) – perhaps there was a delayed reaction for the “lunar lunacy” effect to take place.
    In this week of celebrating William Shakespeare we should remind ourselves of his words from Othello.
    “It is the very error of the moon.
    She comes more near the earth
    than she was wont. And makes
    men mad.”

• 28 Jib // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:16 PM

“Mister Tuff
    I too have supported the club for well over 50 years”

My god you must be over 80 !

You were a Mackem for your first 30 years !

• 29 Mister Tuff // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Jib Jibberish – very poor quality gag, very poor indeed.
    Please leave the gags to others.
    Keep up the gaffes though – an undeniable source of blog merriment in these troubling times.

• 30 Jib // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Never a denial though Mr Tuff.
    Don’t worry you weren’t the only Sunlun fan to see the light and change allegiance when King Kev was strutting his stuff.

• 31 bettyswallocks // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:33 PM

I think the point Bobby is making is that he is married to the club for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health etc .

He is not a customer that can decide not to turn up if he doesn’t like the product that the owner and board are serving up as he’s commited to the club whoever owns it or whoever is running it. He is a hardcore supporter who will attend the match hail, rain or shine even if he has to crawl there.
    That is his choice and it is also the choice and the right of other fans to follow from a distance, via TV or social media either as a hobby or as a fanatic like Bobby. What does seem unfair is for people to suggest that Bobby’s dedicated attendance on match days and putting money into the clubs coffers is responsible for the club being in the state it’s in. When you are married to something and deeply in love you can’t leave that marriage no matter what it throws at you and how much it lets you down. I think this is the crux of his grievance and when emotions are running high people do tend to lash out in all directions.

I think as I said earlier emotions are running very high

• 32 jimmysmith // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM

The best performed team over these final few games will most likely stay up, and we are starting to play to our potential, which is substantially greater than Norwich and Sunderland. Why wouldn’t we get 7 points from the last 3 games and stay up? We’ve taken 5 points from the last 3 and looked very good doing it. Sunderland have taken 4, and Norwich 3. Widjnaldum needs to come back in and step up, and if he does, as he’s well capable. then I think we’ll stay up.

• 33 martoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM

B&B, bettyswallocks & Average Contents – fair points. I understand that a lot of posters cannot attend the games for a variety of reason whether it be distance or an anti-Ashley stance etc. I think what annoys Bobby and myself come to that is when they start calling supporters who do attend matches names such as sheep or even blame us for the current predicament.

• 34 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Oh dear, big bad bobby eh? The instant reaction last night to the mackem result was that we were doomed. All i actually did was to point out a simple fact – we were better off than before they kicked off. Instant response was to call me an idiot and that we weren’t. We were in fact doomed and the sunderland result confirmed it. Please, allow the condemned man to speak. Before ko, our safety target was 32 points, because norwich had 31 and the scum 30. Sunderland had two games in hand. After the result, our safety target was STILL 32 points, but instead of only one team on 31, there’s now two. The bonus is the mackems now have only one game in hand. I’ve never claimed to be a mathematical genius, but in my eyes, we are CLEARLY better off. Queue a torrent of abuse re how stupid i am! You know, i’m human. Start to call me names and i will bite back. Guaranteed. The only time i insult anybody, it’s in response to personal insults. Now if anybody disagrees with my calculations, that’ s what the blog is for. Explain it, don’t call me an idiot.
    What then followed was a torrent of personal abuse, in which i was blamed for nearly killing football because i had been a hooligan back in the day. Utter unsubstantiated bollox, from the two biggest jokes on here, fail and tuff. Wonder why i lost it eh? The seventies were mental. If you weren’t there, please, don’t pretend you know it. To say i brought shame on the club is beyond an insult and a downright lie. Was i ever involved in trouble? I defended myself on a few occasions, but that was the life of a football fan back then. I was not a football hooligan. The real people responsible for the mayhem of the 70/80’s were the money grabbing owners and a police force that treated ALL fans the same, regardless. If you treat humans like animals, they will respond. I was a football supporter, not a thug. I suggest people think carefully before throwing out false accusations, because by law, your false name does not protect you from libel. We, the fans of the time, who put up with garbage, warned authorities about the leppings lane end and warned a disaster was almost guaranteed. We also got crammed in there like sardines. Ditto the park lane at tottenham, where grown adults were crying because they couldn’t breath, whilst more and more were shoehorned in. Eventually fans reacted and climbed the fences, only to be attacked by police with batons. All this whilst other ‘cages’ were standing empty along the side. If you weren’t there, don’t preach. I was. It was a nightmare. Yet because i was a match going fan at the time, fail and tuff decided it was all my fault ffs. They probably still believe the sun report that liverpool fans riffled the dead and pissed on them. Another lie to protect now proven police liars. Proven and admitted. I nearly got crushed three times during that period and the memories are still fresh in my mind. Of course i get annoyed when such lies are thrown against me, by people who weren’t even there. As i don’t know any of you as far as i’m aware, please don’t assume you know me. You don’t. After that it got a bit silly because i was fuming at false accusations. I don’t want to argue the toss, but you do know my beliefs that match going fans are the top of the hierarchy. That’s how i and many others see it, including radio hosts and managers and other pundits. Don’t call us happy clappers and headless chickens or you will get a response you might not like. I was told some fans no longer go because we’re not doing well and they have better things to do. Magic. Go do them. The accurate description of a fair weather fan i’ve ever heard. You really couldn’t make it up. So then i became a bigot. Really? Maybe some of you nice pc people would take that sort of crap. I won’t. I stand my ground and have never been a hypocrite – unlike fail, who swore he’d never step foot back in SJP whilst Ashley was there , nor give him another penny. Whoops. Pork pie alert. So, there you go. As for tuff? Seriously, how old is he. I know he isn’t the nine year old he acts like. ‘ Bobby blobby, mr blobby’. WTF is all that about? Moronic. So, there you go. In a nutshell. We can make a difference to matches. I give you the 4-4 draw with Arsenal. We did that. The fans lifted the players to unheard of heights. Armchair fans can’t do that, whether it’s pc or not. Never diss the hardcore fan, we help make NUFC what it is. If you do, expect a response. Now last night was last night and this is now. I’ve explained what happened, accept it or not, i don’t give a flying either way. Jesus, i was denigrated for giving up drinking so i can continue to follow football in what I see as the right way. Being disabled – something i wasn’t always by the way – i have to limit my budget, which is not like i once had. I purchase the full sky sports package and BT sports on top of my ST. I could have a couple of nights out on the piss, but i choose football. Muppets chose to laugh at that commitment. Get a life and be grateful you ain’t crippled. Never thought it would happen to me, but that’s life. Think its funny? Grow up. So, thats it, warts and all. Not that i should need to explain myself, but some people do tend to twist ones words to suit their own sad agendas. I am totally committed to supporting the club i love to a point some might call obsessive, so don’t diss that. If you don’t go to games, please don’t believe you have the right to tell me how i should do it. Don’t talk to me about boycotts. You have NOTHING to give up. Following to lads is my life and always has been and i won’t give it up for what is in effect your agenda, not mine. I think that covers everything. If you don’t wish to discuss things with me because of how i am, rest assured i won’t lose sleep over it. Plenty on here understand exactly where i’m coming from and i can chat to them all day. Amazing that the two clowns accusing me of – in fails words ‘killing football’ were almost directly responsible for nearly killing this blog, with their accusation of multiples and ganging up on certain individuals. It drove me away for a while because it was so childish and tedious. They offer very little input on football matters and just get off winding people up. Keyboard kindergarten. Just saying like 🙂

• 35 robertsleftfoot // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Rotonda

I would love nothing more than for that to happen if only to show Ashley what a real manager at a real club can do!!!!

previous post: This Player Is Made Of The Right Stuff