Why Rafa Benitez Must Be Newcastle’s Future

I’ve been so impressed with Rafa Benitez since he arrived on Tyneside – maybe it’s because we now have a man at Newcastle who is simply perfect for the job.

He is even perfect for owner Mike Ashley, because if Mike wants somebody to manage the club and Ashley wants to take a hands-off approach then who better than Rafa to do that?

The 56 year-old is a true workaholic and just loves the job he has as a football manager and he should be offered full control of whatever he wants control of at the club.

rafa benitez arrives at st james pk

Rafa Benitez – must be Newcastle’s future

If we stay up there should be no problem and it will be interesting to see how Rafa starts to change the team and change the club in the summer.

The huge worry for Newcastle fans is after we finally have a world-class manager at Newcastle, if he leaves in the summer because we are relegated,  it could be the final insult to some of Newcastle’s fan-base.

We are all fed up with the likes of Lee Charnley and Graham Carr being less than mediocre in the jobs they have (I’m being kind) and the way they seem to have not used the massive £82M on transfers to strengthen the side.

We still have one of the worst defenses  in the Premier League.

We are not even going to mention hiring a sacked Championship manager last summer and saying he was the perfect coach for Newcastle.

It was telling that of the eight players we signed this season, only two started on Saturday and three were on the bench and one of them has already bolted back to France.

Mike Ashley has a chance to secure Rafa on a long term basis at the club whatever happens in the final three games of this terrible season.

Ashley should sit down with Rafa and ask what does he wants to stay on at Newcastle if we are relegated.

Being in  control of all transfers is the first thing and that should be a no-brainer, b.ut there may be other things that Rafa may want control of.

Mike should give him that and urge this is a long term association and he could even offer him the promise of an eight year contract and a £2M bonus if he got promoted straight back to the Premier League.

Now that we have Rafa at the club and we have seen how he can leave out the top players and still have a team that can compete with the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City – even now – he should be retained at all costs.

If we are relegated and Rafa leaves that is the complete disaster scenario for Newcastle fans who are already  completely fed up with the incompetents running the club.

Maybe fans can start sending Rafa messages asking him to stay on and build us into the great team and great club we should be.

Mike Ashley is no fool and he should see that keeping Rafa – whatever happens in  the next three games – is a get out of jail card for him with the fans – after the incompetence of this season and last season.

The previous seven seasons with Ashley as owner were not too great either.

If we stay up then everything should be fine – if we go down then Ashley must show initiative, drive and ambition to ensure Rafa Benitez stays at the club.

If he does that the fans will be happy enough and then Rafa and his team can start planning to make Newcastle great again.

And Rafa Benitez  can certainly be successful in doing that.

Howay The Lads!!

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Bobby

Scanned over it and I think after seeing the length I’ll give it a miss…..

No need to read another iteration of your self-important life story and how you have no personal agency written in a child-like wall of text fashion, indicative of your inability to form a coherent argument, which is why you just go for the scattergun approach.

Nothing to be gleaned or gained by continuing.

A break from here is due I think. Twitter best for good-natured interaction with NUFC fans. See you all on the other side.

HTL!!

• Jib

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM

There are reports that no matter which division NUFC ends up in – Taylor’s contract will not be renewed in June and Coloccini will be given a severance package to enable him to return to Argentina.

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM

There’s a few on the books could do with their packages severed. Actually Lee already might have had it done, he looks like he could sing soprano.

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Away ya gan, bonny lad. No proper response to how we’re worse off now, because their isn’t one. Proven wrong so scuttle off. Bit like rats and sinking ships eh? My case is rested. Like it or not we are better off, albeit not ideal. Three games left and we need to win them all. We will be out in force on saturday, the true believers – right or wrong. Don’t want to give us your backing? Fine, nuff said really. You are what you are. I am what I am. I’m happy being me, with my positive outlook and never say die attitude. If that’s a fault, I’ll take it all day.

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Well I’m not entirely sorry I missed last night’s aneurysm party. 😀

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Bobby

You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone on here.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Blackley

From this morning, nice of you to repeat what I say then try and turn it around.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Bobby……… Setting aside all the disagreements and the he said she said, I have total respect for your passion and dedication to this club. When the TV pundits and managers from other clubs talk about NUFC’ S loyal fans you are definitely the epitomy of one. My advice is to focus your energy on Saturday and rallying the troops to make SJP the fortress it used to be and make Pardew and his cockney mob feel very unwelcome. I can’t be there but I ll be there in spirit HWTL.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Anyway we will stay up, Sunderland will draw a lot of their remaining games they rely to much on Defoe, Norwich have got tougher games than us, we will beat Palace, Villa and Spurs, we have beaten Spurs at home in the last couple of seasons.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Welshie…. You do though, you’re a Swansea fan with a partiality to sheep on aNUFC blog.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Whether we stay up or not, in the summer need to get rid of shelvey, waste of money, waste of space.

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Jib, not a moment too soon re Taylor and collo. Decent servants in their day, but their day has gone. This is typical Rafa. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly. Love to get his take on those already giving up. Would’t be pretty, that’s for sure. 🙂 I just don’t get some people because they’re just so far removed from my ideals. Rafa has come along, risking his reputation on an impossible mission, and some ‘fans’ won’t give him the time of day. Anyway, roll on saturday marra. See how a win might alter some opinions. If we lose, wtf? So many on here had us in division one a couple of weeks ago. Can’t alter their stance because they’re so desperate to be right, regardless of the cost to the club. When the maths say we can’t survive, I’ll accept it. But with so much future to play for ie Rafa staying and rebuilding the club, why would you give up already?
    Anyway, collo and tayls have reached the end of their journey, but the future looks bright with Lascelles growing by the game and Mbemba looking more the part in this partnership. Still fancy Rafa to stay, survive or not. I think he’s fallen in love with a large part of our fanbase and fancies being another legend in another city. Glad he doesn’t read this blog ffs lol. He’d pack up and leave us.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Bettybollocks

There’s a difference my friend, i reply back because it’s more fun that way, if people going to have a hissy fit over words then they are not going to last long in the real world.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Sheep sheep sheep, I would be more offended if you come up with something new.

Ha ha ha

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM

I like your banter Welshie, honestly. Don’t feel that you’re totally useless as a toon fan. We can always use you as a bad example.x

• Hail Wor Ashley

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Bobby

Before the weekend Sunderland had 1 game in hand and were 1pt in front of us.

They are still 1pt in front of us with 1 game in hand, if we had an infinite number of games to play we’d be in the same position, but because we now have 1 less chance to make up the difference, we’re slightly worse off, that’s the bare bones of the situation. You either have the capacity to understand that or not.

Need it writing out in mathematical formulae? It’s the absolute truth I can assure you.

Then there’s the factor we thought after our good point we would gain slightly, anticipating a Sunderland loss, they then didn’t lose so there’s gonna be increased trepidation about our position, which makes wins all the more essential now and I hope the crowd do leave Pardew quaking on Saturday.

Anyway, it’s toxic on here so that’s why I’m using other places to get my fix from now on. Thought I ought to explain it as plain as possible.

Now I really am oot!

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Welshie and betty. Cheers for that lads. I know i’m not a lone voive lads, but its nice to get a bit of backing. I’ve just laid out my case again and requested they offer an alternative view, but got no takers, just more childish abuse. We are better off aren’t we? I’m not a mental case am i ? I just don’t get how allegedly intelligent people can’t work it out for themselves. They give it large when i’m not here, then scuttle off when given a challenge when i return. It’s still there. Someone please explain how were not better off, because if that is the case, i’m unable to see it. No change in points required, but them one game worse off. To me it’s blindingly obvious, as it is to Rafa himself. He seems happy with the draw. Draw every game for me you SMB’S, suits us down to the ground. Can’t please some people though. Had sunlun won, i might be concerned, but they drew and the target right now is still 32 points.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Bobby…If I may, you often say that people don’t know you, so shouldn’t assume to know what it is you’re thinking, why is it you don’t do the same with others?

You think people are saying they think we’ll be relegated to be proven right? Does that apply to all people who have said it?

You are as bad as those you have a problem with, most likely myself included. Just on the other end of the scale.

We are in the mess we are in, nothing can be done other than to take each game as it comes. We could still lose our next game and stay up. We could win our next 3 and go down.

I would hazard a guess (but it is only that) that there are ST holders, who go week in, week out, who think we’re relegated.

Much like the aggro over protests in the past, the opinion split has nothing to do with what type of fan you are, what your back ground is, how many games you’ve been to. There were shared and differing opinions within those same camps, and still are.

It just serves no place in this debate, or any debate, other than “who is the best fan out there”.

For that, you get my vote everyday, so it’s not even a debate.

• Moonraker15

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Coloccini getting a severance package! What a joke. I’m convinced he’s not injured, he does this every season now, what has that joker achieved since he’s been here on 60 odd grand a week! I haven’t even heard the twat speak all the years he’s been here. If we go down he will have a record of the only captain to be relegated twice at the same club! Wtf was McClaren on, to make him captain again and extend his contract? if they wrote a book about the last 10 years at our club they would think it too far fetched; £82 million spent and only 1 of the players signed in the starting line up! Now all we need is for relegation and Rafa to be allowed to go. I believe he would stay and bring us back up IF ASKED by Ashley. But has fatso got the will to do it? Still, I live in hope we win our last 3 games and stay up. Actually if we don’t beat Palace and Villa we deserve to go down but the incompetence of previous bosses is staggering. We all know that Newcastle should never be out of the top ten! Rant over.

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Moonraker – apart from that though, it’s all worked out rather well.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Ibiza…… I hope you were being sincere there in your last two sentences.
    It would be wholly inappropriate under the circumstances if not.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Betty…I have never for a second doubted that Bobby is a loyal match attending fan.

I hope that answers your question.

Can I ask though, why is it you praise Bobby for his qualities, but brush the “he said, she said” of his lesser points under the carpet. Yet you see me, and I must be questioned?

There was plenty in Bobbys posts that I believe to be “wholly inappropriate under the circumstances”, wouldn’t you agree?

You should know by now, that I don’t really give two hoots what type of fan someone is. We all have an opinion (which can be right or wrong, whether you attend in person or not) and we all have a part to play. It is a team effort after all.

• Moonraker15

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:17 PM

HWA
    I don’t agree that we are worse off. as before the weekend we had to play Liverpool away and they had Arsenal at home. They dropped 2 home points and we gained an away point, which we weren’t expecting!
    So they sill have the same points difference but we now have a home banker v Palace whilst they have an away game at Stoke. In my eyes we are better off as I didn’t even expect 1 point from the 2 games Man city or Liverpool! Is this the season when Sam doesn’t escape relegation? Will Rafa gain legendary status in Newcastle? Cmmmonnnn !

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Hail, your simply wrong. Our games to play hasn’t altered since the mackem game. THEIRS HAS. It’s not about sunlun, it’s all about 17th place. You are right though, either you can grasp it or you can’t and you are failing miserably. 32 points is currently the cut off point, no different than it was before either side played, let alone sunlun. For someone claiming intelectual seniority you really are dim. Explain again eh? Before they played arsenal, they had TWO games in hand, right? Still with me? The safety point was 32 points because norwich had 31 points and sunlun have a better gd. Still with me? We had three games left. So, after the game, we still have three games left. The safety net is still 32 points, although that will probably change after the next round of games. It might not, but probably will. Right now it’s still 32. Nothing has changed. The target is exactly how it was before they kicked off. The only difference is there’s now two clubs on 31 instead of one. Hope i haven’t lost you yet, this really isn’t difficult. The other big difference being that sunlun now only have one game in hand, not two. Granted, it’s not ideal, but it wasn’t when Rafa took over a bunch of misfiring misfits. Technically its out of our hands, but if we can get seven points it might be enough. Nine will virtually save us, but if not, we went down fighting. Virtually every pundit is saying 37 will do it. It’s in our own hands to get 39 and two of the games you couldn’t have hand picked any better – palace and villa. Lose them and yes, we deserve to go down, but until then, wtf are you talking about? Lets get the 37/39 points we are capable of and then see where we sit. Sunlun through a game in hand away yesterday simply by not getting max points after our draw. Had they got 33 points it would’ve been nasty, but they only caught up with norwich and lost a game in hand. Jesus wept.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:20 PM

Ibiza……. I just detected a hint of sarcasm in your declaration that Bobby was the best fan that’s all. If you say it was meant sincerely then fine. I just think that without patronising Bobby and being labelled a sycophant he deserves more respect under his circumstances than he was shown last night.

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:23 PM

While of course acknowledging the inherent risk in jumping into an already raging torrent, surely if the soap dodgers have used one of their games in hand over us to gain one point against Arsenal rather than zero, that makes it one point harder for us to overcome?

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:25 PM

..maybe things have become slightly less unchanged than they might have been?….

• Moonraker15

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Tsunki
    Yes it has gone well really! Haha

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Betty…And in my opinion, Bobby could show a hell of a lot more respect for others too.

I often think he tries to get too much info in to a discussion. It goes of course and manages to group everyone who is different than him in to one box. It happens easily enough, it’s happened to me on many occasions, unintentionally.

I’ll always have a hint of sarcasm in my posts. I am sarcastic.

Bobby knows we’ve had a tested relationship on here, but it has nothing to do with him being a loyal fan. The fans were one of the biggest draws for me, being a half blooded toon fan down south as a child.

It was quite an eye opener to me, to realise that some of those fans looked at fans like me with disgust, but you can’t win them all I guess.

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:27 PM

I wish Jesper was here. He would be great at handling these circular arguments. You know how he loves rotating things 🙂

• Tsunki

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Ibiza it may be an alien concept to contemplate the fate of this club if it depended solely on the support of the matchgoing fans.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Tsunki……. Very good. I do actually miss him.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Tsunki…I think this is a case of calculating things in two different ways.

I guess, big picture thinking and working on the assumption that Norwich and Sunderland wont win all their games, then there is a point to be made, that the big picture hasn’t changed. We still need to win our games and we still need them not to win theirs. I’m just not sure what people are basing these wins and losses on at this stage. Who knows wtf will happen in the last games?

We could lose our next two, beat Spurs, with Norwich and Sunderland losing all their remaining games and we’ll stay up.

Still, a point gained for Sunderland, is a point lost for us, in the race to avoid relegation, surely.

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Moonraker! The voice of reason from the darkness. Of course we’re better off marra. No further behind but they’ve lost a game in hand. Obvious isn’t it? Blindingly, if you have the capacity to grasp it, which hail clearly doesn’t.
    Ibiza, i don’t pretend to know anybody on here, as i’ve recently stated. The better fan nonsense was again manipulated to make look the bad guy. I am what i am, nothing more, nothing less. A passionate, match going ST holder and proud of it. Yes, i moved houses so i could attend games when my mobility got bad and have given up drinking for my love of the beautiful game, but i would never expect anybody to emulate that. I accept i probably have an obsession about newcastle that might be viewed as a bit weird, but thats me, warts and all. I don’t believe anybody is less of a fan because they are not like me, but i find it bizarre that any fan would write us off already with such a massive future to play for. Stay up and let Rafa rebuild? What an opportunity. Too good to not back the guy 100% when he’s put his reputation on the line for us. He believes we can do it so we should all get behind him and push for what we all want really. Throwing the towel in when 7 points could save us and nine probably will? Wtf is that about. To throw the towel in now is to give up on our dreams of reaching the big time again and i’m not ready to do that yet. I’d be gobsmacked if you did.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ibiza……. You mustn’t develop an inferiority complex about being firstly a southerner and secondly a non- attender. These are your hang ups and you must learn to come to terms with them.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Tsunki…Joking aside, I do think something was missed with what Jesper was saying that day.

Have we not seen a bit of a shift towards that anyway? Shelvey, now Sissoko, with Lascelles unofficially kicking backsides in the background?

I didn’t think it was a good idea to lose the title of captain, but there was some interesting points in there for me, which got lost in the midst of piss taking.

As for @31…I’m not following 🙂

• Bobbybee

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Tsunki. Please listen. Forget sunlun. 17th place is all that matters, nothing more. The one point they gained has changed nothing for us. We had to aim for 32 points before they kicked off; we still have to now. Their point is pointless in the bigger scheme of things. What isn’t pointless, is they’ve lost a game in hand without affecting our current situation. The gap is still the same. The target didn’t change as it would have if they’d won. It truly isn’t rocket science. Sunlun now have the same as norwich pointwise, so as before, 32 points is the current target we need to achieve.
    Ibiza, maybe i could’ve handled it differently, but calling me an idiot tends to get my back up. One thing will never change: give me personal abuse and expect it back threefold. Until then, i remain polite.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Betty…I don’t feel the need to ask whether there was a hint of sarcasm.

As per my last post, couldn’t give two hoots.

Bobby…I think you’re mixing things though.

Are you saying that match going fans are throwing in the towel? Or is it some people on a blog think we’ve left it too late? Do you think that discussions on this blog will either save us or relegate us?

It’s not about people on a blog. If we go down, it’s because of those in charge of running the club.

I am not resigned to relegation however. I am more hopeful towards NUFC than I’ve been in years.

You and I are quite different though. I am delighted to see Rafa at the helm, but do still have great concerns over the future of our club, which are not directly related to the team that goes on the field, which I know you don’t like to discuss, so will leave that there.

Bobby, the “Better fan” stuff comes up because you use it as your fall back point. It really doesn’t serve any purpose, unless you are trying to say “i go, so my opinion is more valid”, which is how it’s perceived. That will always get a bad reaction Much like when I say that match going fans have been part of the problem in the past.

Stick to your main point if you don’t want these type of debates. In short, my summary is that it is your opinion that at this stage it is our duty to remain optimistic until math says otherwise.

I can’t imagine that would have got quite the same response that you got.

• lesh

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Don’t want to sound like a wet blanket, but it took Ashley to force McLaren’s sacking some four weeks after the Chelsea debacle.

Charnley, supported by Carr no doubt, harboured faint hope that McLaren would turn things around after being in the relegation zone all season and didn’t have the wit or the balls to call time on his tenure.

Too late in appointing Rafs, unless Ashley gets on the case quickly, Rafa’ll be away before Charnley gets round to even thinking about retaining him. Maybe it’s time to get the pro-Rafa banners out at SJP – or even a massive pass-around flag in the hope that they tie Rafa down – regardless of costs!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Surely we’d be better off if the mackems had lost.

1 2 3 7