The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

World Star – I Enjoyed Working With Benitez

12:38 pm, Monday, April 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Real Madrid visit Manchester City on Tuesday in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final and of course former Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur winger Gareth Bale is in the team.

Gareth is getting all the attention in the English press – which is not surprising and the world’s most expensive player has said that when Rafa Benitez was at Real Madrid for six months starting last June he enjoyed working with the new Newcastle United manager.

gareth bale rafa benitez

Gareth Bale and Rafa Benitez last summer

This is what Gareth has said about our new boss:

“I felt isolated out on the wing and I wasn’t able to do what I wanted to do and give my best for the club.”

“Benitez listened to me, and gave me more responsibility which was what I wanted. I had a good relationship with him.”

“He speaks very good English which helps me. I was able to speak to him a lot. We had things in common from working in England.

“I just enjoyed working with him.”

So what could this mean for Newcastle?

Well if Rafa keeps us up – in a couple of years he may be wanting to bring a world-class player like Gareth to Newcastle to help us win the Champions League.

That’s obvious and Gareth would probably jump at the chance.

🙂

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 JAMSHA // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM

hmmm so how about Bale to nufc then if we stay on top? that would solve our LW

• 2 jayphoto // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:45 PM

definate pattern emerging – players Benitez plays seem to love him, players he leaves out of the side seem to not be a fan. shock!
    Palace game is huge! never know what you’ll get with Percy but with them having an eye on the final his ego will be looking to that. He’d be palace folklore if he won them a trophy and he knows it!
    Can also never be sure what his views towards this club are. The board stood by him a lot, guessing hes got a few friends at the club and doesn’t seem to be the vindictive type, just wonder if he’ll look to do us a favor!

• 3 martoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Repost:
    B&B, bettyswallocks & Average Contents – fair points. I understand that a lot of posters cannot attend the games for a variety of reason whether it be distance or an anti-Ashley stance etc. I think what annoys Bobby and myself come to that is when they start calling supporters who do attend matches names such as sheep or even blame us for the current predicament.

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 25, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Interesting article on Ref decisions.

Could Ref decisions cost us and norwich in the fight to escape as it
    Looks like the mackems have had the rub of the green this season.

Refereeing decisions are regularly the source of debate among fans, pundits, players and managers so this season a five-strong TEAMtalk panel will be passing judgement on every red card (or avoidance of one), every penalty and any other major incident every matchday.

We’ll also keep a tally of the major decisions to go for and against each team in an attempt to settle the never-ending debate about whether certain clubs are favoured more than others by Premier League referees.

Seasonal for and against

18. Newcastle Five Ten -5
    18. Swansea Five Eleven -6
    19. Bournemouth Five Twelve -7
    20. West Ham Seven Eighteen -11

• 5 Average_Contents // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Betty

As far as I’m aware, nobody last night even mentioned it, apart from Bobby big balls so I’m not quite sure what the actual Point was.

I know blackley mentioned that Sunderland getting a point was not good news especially against arsenal and that big gob seen it differently so went on a tirade of epic proportions basically saying things are still the same and rambling on about how dare anyone tell him what to do. Nobody did.

I don’t see how Sunderland gaining a point and going level with Norwich can be seen as anything but harmful to our survival bid especially against arsenal who you’d expect to beat them any day of the week.

• 6 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Martoon

Well then Bobby and yourself best take it up with those that make those accusations. He repeatedly threw out that argument yesterday, along with the giving up line, yet nobody said anything of the sort on both counts, he was so sweeping in his attacks that he got return fire from all angles, maybe he should directly address those that make such claims.

Honestly, the only person I recall explicitly saying fans are as much to blame is Jimiley, it’s just another perspective and I’m sure he can reason out why if asked.

In essence Bobby was just lashing out at others, having bottled up his real gripes instead of taking those to task when he first encountered them, then proceeded to make a show of himself.

• 7 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Whoa, gobalott and dolittle, that renowned firm of solicitors, please refer to my statement overleaf. Although you might not like like the truth to spoil your delusions, i suggest you read it. 🙂

• 8 posada // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Not sure why supporters are falling out with each other on here.
    I am not going back next season, unless the owner explains this mess, gets/keeps a top manager and starts to work with supporters.
    I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1971. If anybody wants to have a go at me for taking that stance then get on here and explain yourself.
    If we keep allowing this man to humiliate us, remember its gone on for 9 years now, then we are the problem.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Booby,
    I wasn’t actually saying anything to you last night, you were so out of it you thought you were arguing with me. I have never called people for going to the matches or said I will not set foot in the stadium. I said I wouldn’t go back unless there was suitable investement. I also didn’t blame you personally for ruining the game but that generation of mindless thugs that fought on the terraces while fathers and sons were scared to death and stopped going to gemes.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Did anyone read Bobbybee’s book on the last thread?

• 11 bettyswallocks // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Posada…….. That is your prerogative and you are entitled to make that choice. What becomes contentious is if you were to condemn others who decide to remain dedicated to attending matches. Calling them sheep and happy clappers etc. In an attempt to belittle people who have attende religiously through thick and thin is out of order imo.

• 12 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Seriously, how are we any worse off ffs? The cut off point was 32 points before the game. We still need 32 points as it stands but sunlun have one less game in hand. How are we not better off? I would take them drawing every single game, home and away, from now on in. Technically it’s out of our hands, as i pointed out last night, but i believe, rightly or wrongly, if we win all our three games we will stay up. Why is that so wrong of me? Rafa also believes nine points will keep us up, but hey, what does he know? It’s a difficult task, but why be so pessimistic and throw the towel in already? Still, your choice to give up, but 50k of us on saturday still believe and frankly, they’re the ones who matter to me. The place will be rocking and i can’t wait. You might well find in in my seat on Friday night ffs it means so much. I don’t wish to watch Championship football next season, so whilst there’s a hope i cling to it. I’ll accept relegation if it happens, but only when it happens and not one second sooner. It’s not just about us and sunderland, it’s about 17th place and 17th place is no further away today than it was last week. Fact. We need to win all our games preferably, but the reality is if norwich and scum fail to pick up another point, unlikey as it may be, one win could see us safe. Being defeatist isn’t being realistic ffs. We have the most difficult task because we’re second bottom, but palace and villa are clearly winnable games and then the spurs game will take care of the rest. We could lose that, or draw, and still stay up. Why can’t you see that? Have norwich and sunlun suddenly become real madrid and barcelona? Sunlun picked up form, but the reality is they’ve slipped up. I didn’t demand arsenal do us any favours – why should they. We got into this mess and imo Rafa might yet save us. How many chances did ‘world class striker defoe’ miss yesterday? Half a dozen? They’re relying on his goals to keep them up and they might have dried up at just the right moment. There’s still so much to play for, without writing us off yet.

• 13 Munster Mag // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Guys lets give the Bobby row a rest. At the end of the day we are all fans although there may be some mischief makers around who don’t really give a toss about NUFC and just want to spout nonsense. If Bobby was part of the days when hooligans abounded, so what – it is what it is. I got into scrapes with NUFC fans too back in the late 80s/early 90s and I am no hooligan and never went looking for any kind of trouble. Bobby, some fans just cant make the kind of commitment you do for many reasons, eg family etc. This may mean they are not quite as hard core as you, but doesn’t mean they cant re respected as Toon fans. And yes Bobby, we have probably stood on many of the same terraces at the same time 🙂 . Do u remember Tottenham away when they murdered us about 4-0 and Waddler killed us? What a noise the geordies made. Believe it or not, I was one of the main chants instigators back in the day, and have been crowned an honourary Geordie! And who can forget Grimsby away when we got promoted. David Kelly what a hero 🙂 . Whether we like each other are not, we are all NUFC fans guys. Sadly, I still think we will go down 🙁 as we needed arsenal to beat sunderland. Of course sunderland are no Barca, but neither are Watford and co whom they have to play.

• 14 bettyswallocks // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Average……. I can’t speak for Bobby but as I said earlier when emotions take over then things come out of the cupboard from previous disputes most marriages are like that.

That’s why it’s better that all married men just forget their mistakes. There s no point 2 people remembering them forever.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Is this argument still going on?

Guys and girls, nothing has yet been decided, one way or another. Still some more twists and turns to come.

Can we not leave what type of fan you are out of it for the next few weeks, as it only muddies the waters. That’s for both sides of the discussion.

I’ve really enjoyed watching our games recently. Nothing to do with the results, the effort and commitment has been top notch, considering what was being played week in, week out.

It’s all I’ve ever really wanted from the team. Long may it continue, whatever league we play in.

• 16 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 1:59 PM

There you go again fail. Did i or did i not apologise for my mistaken identity? Yes i did. Now you change history. You did say you wouldn’t step foot inside the ground, nor give him another penny and you did denigrate fans for attending. Say it as many times as you like matey, but you did. You did simper last night that you might have said so in a fit of rage, but say it you did. Don’t go trying to change history to suit yourself. You want the guy locking up ffs, why are you now giving him your money, you damned hypocrite. So you hate the guy so much you can’t wait to fill his pockets?! At least I’m consistent in my ‘rages’. I’ve never changed tack or backed down, but then I have principles. You called for a boycott and don’t deny it. So those who heeded your call? How should they feel now? Stabbed in the back I imagine lmao! Last night was last night, i’m over it already and ready for the next day. So please. Explain how somebody who demanded a boycott from others can now attend matches with a clear conscience. Deny it to your hearts content, but I’m sure our mate jib will come up with some beauties from your big mouth should he choose to. How does he do that? Never seems to fail though. Oh look. A pun if not intended. Your lack of moral fibre shows you up to be what you really are, but try to hide. If we ever do slip into the first division – which plenty on here have already predicted the saddo’s – and i fail to buy a ST, you might get to call me a hypocrite too. Don’t hold your breath though. Neither will ever happen

• 17 Hail Wor Ashley // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Scanned over it and I think after seeing the length I’ll give it a miss…..

No need to read another iteration of your self-important life story and how you have no personal agency written in a child-like wall of text fashion, indicative of your inability to form a coherent argument, which is why you just go for the scattergun approach.

Nothing to be gleaned or gained by continuing.

A break from here is due I think. Twitter best for good-natured interaction with NUFC fans. See you all on the other side.

HTL!

• 18 Jib // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Reports that no matter what happens Taylor’s contract will not be renewed in June and Coloccini will be given a severance package to enable him to return to Argentina.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Or not…

• 20 Bobbybee // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Munster, i’ve said my piece marra, but it keeps getting dragged up. Sadly we must disagree. Hard core fans attend matches, hence the hard core bit. Had you said they’re still fans, i would agree wholeheartedly. Again though, fans don’t throw the towel in before the fat bitch hollers. Yes, i do say things i might not have had i not been wound up, but show me someone who doesn’t! I do however, back my beliefs to the hilt. Unlike some on here! 🙂 I’m still waiting for someone to explain, given my thoughts, why we are worse off than before the sunlun draw. Call me an idiot for it, but lets hear why I’m that idiot. I stand by it. We are better off than before because sunlun have lost a game in hand and 17th place is still one win away – as it was beforehand. It truly baffles me. These are arguments i might expect to hear from the great unwashed, calling us doomed before we are, not from alleged Toon suppirters. We’re in this together and should be all pulling in one direction – towards safety. It’s not beyond possibility, far from it. Have you thrown in the towel? Has betty? Has BDM? Have the 50k who’ll be screaming themselves hoarse on saturday? Or the sell out away contingent at Villa? Not a chance. We fight till the end and it defines us as fans. Known the world over as the most loyal in the world. If individuals insist on being doom mongers then what can I say? A sad state of affairs whilst there’s still hope. Rafa is desperately trying to save us from an impossible start. The very least we fans can do is back him 100% and show some gratitude for his efforts. He took on mission impossible and deserves our belief in him. Maybe that’s just me though, a proper weirdo apparently. Rather that that a white flag flapper. Howay the lads!!!! Doom mongers – oot! Hypocrites oot! Rafa and his undying belief we can survive – 100% IN. 😉

• 21 Ibizatoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Bobby…Forgetting all the other rubbish in there, and I do hope you wont take that too personally.

If come seasons end, we’re relegated by being 1 point off Sunderland, will the importance of Sunderlands result yesterday make sense?

I do get what you’re saying, we need wins (3 points), so in theory, our target is still the same, as they didn’t surpass that points tally with that result.

However, they do have one more point, a point they didn’t have before.

I do agree though, this is not a forgone conclusion. Amazingly, there is still some hope. In fact, more than there was before. Which is quite bizarre really.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Apr 25, 2016 at 2:29 PM

I should clear up, by more hope than before, I wasn’t referring to before the Sunderland game, but to a few weeks back when all hope was gone, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

• 23 posada // Apr 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Betty re my comment at 8.
    Am I wrong for being critical of supporters who continue to go.
    Well, I’m annoyed with myself for going this long.
    When do we stop. How long do we keep going.
    It’s a living death and an ongoing insult.
    We allow this man to make us a laughing stock.
    We could give him an empty stadium in August and something would have to give.
    We might end up in the 1st division, but we would be a club again.
    SBR posed the question, what is a club.
    Not this. Being run by a set of clowns.

previous post: Positive Benitez Still Hopeful Of Saving Newcastle