Harry Redknapp On Rafa’s Future At Newcastle – It’s Surprising

It would be terrific if we can stay in the Premier League and then Rafa Benitez can start to build a powerhouse of a side on Tyneside next season.

But if we go down the only thing that matters then is that Rafa stays with us – if he does that then the rebuilding of Newcastle as both a team and a club can begin – or should we say – it can continue

We have no doubt that Rafa can get us back to the Premier League at the very first attempt and some of our top players would even want to stay at the club to stay with Benitez.

Harry Redknapp, QPR v Fulham

Harry Redknapp – while at QPR

Former Tottenham and QPR manager Harry Redknapp, who turned down the Newcastle job back in January of 2008 after Sam Allardyce has been sacked, thinks that Sunderland will stay up.

But Harry also thinks that Rafa will stay at Newcastle if we do take the drop.

This is what Harry has said today on the talkSPORT Alan Brazil Breakfast show:

“Sunderland are playing quite well,”  “When you have Defoe in your team they always have a chance of scoring, but one of the big boys is going to go.”

“I think Newcastle have still got it all on, but Sunderland look like the in-form team to me.”

“With Rafa I think he’d stay,”  “I’d be surprised if he left. Newcastle is a special club.”

”I know their results don’t tell you that, but when you get 50,000 people every week – it’s an incredible stadium.”

“I’m sure he’d stay on and would want to bring them back up next year.

They would be a powerhouse in the Championship.”

So there you have it – Harry has always talked well of Newcastle United, which he has always called a massive club.

Rafa came to Newcastle  because he though the club is a sleeping (comatose?) giant and he knew the fan base was similar to that of Liverpool in their complete passion for their team.

That will only have been reinforced in the short time he has been here and two more sell-out crowds at St. James’  Park and who knows – Rafa may not even have that decision to make – because we can still survive the drop.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM

I noticed that I wasn’t included in Jesper greetings list. I’m a bit disappointed at that. I thought after all this time Jesper might have just said “Hi Tsunki!” but…no. Seems like there’s no turning Jesper round these days….

😉

• bettyswallocks

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Tsunki…………… I think the problem is he doesn’t know which way to turn.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM

I just cant bare Sunderland staying up this season them and Norwich would contribute nothing to the premiership except the same old

Sunderland have not been playing well all they have been doing is parking the bus and having Defoe fluking a goal here and there

Would love Stoke and Chelsea to actually wake and get victories so we can put them down

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I reckon he’ll stay myself too. Just a feeling, but he seems to have fallen in love with the fanbase and the city, so you never know. Either way i reckon IF we go down, we’ll have enough to bounce back with our young lads and the right mix of experience added. Let the ‘superstars’ go if they choose to, they won’t be missed. Their contribution thus far has been abysmal. Krul/Elliott Mbabu, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett/new lb. Shelvey/ Saivet Colback. Arrons, Armstrong, Townsend. Mitrovic. Plus mix in some Championship experience and we’ll be fine. Of course, we ain’t down yet and 50k screaming mags will be baying for a result on Saturday, but if the worse comes to the worse, we will be back. Howay the lads!

• Tsunki

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:58 PM

..unless of course by then Rafa has gone, Townsend gets a transfer back to the PL based on his performances, and Steve Bruce is at the helm.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Bobby Bee – with reference to the Hillsbrough verdict you state thate “the police” murdered the supporters.
    This is legally incorrect as under UK law companies and corporations cannot be guilty of murder – it has to have been committed by an individual(s).
    Also -whoever commits murder must have an intention beforehand to commit murder or cause grievous bodily harm.
    “The police” as an entity could however be guilty of manslaughter – probably because of their negligence.

• Harley

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Can’t believe they’ve ballsed up the chance for us to sing “we’ll meet again” to the villa fans next week. What an opportunity missed.
    I think if we beat palace and are beating villa we should sing it anyway and take the chance.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Tuff, i know the law marra, but with the gross negligence and carefree attitude to the well being of said supporters, they murdered them in my eyes. If you ever removed your ass from the comfort zone of your chair and actually attended games you might understand my bitterness towards them more. Manslaughter/murder wtf? Those people are still dead and the police were 100% responsible for it. Words are just words. Obviously as you were never in one of those crushes, you wouldn’t have a scooby what you’re wittering about. Chuntering about words doesn’t change history. You wouldn’t, but anybody else on here who was at WHL when terraces stood EMPTY and thousands over capacity were crammed into the cage allocated for us, will remember the police battoning fans who tried to climb the fence. You know, the ones in the front taking the brunt. As it’s something you can’t even begin to comprehend because you lack the experience of such situations i suggest you take your smug heeed for a shyte.

• lesh

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Young Dele Alli(spelling?), the PFA’s Young Player of the Year (remember him Mr Charnley; the player who was whipped from under our nose while you fannied on over pennies?) being likely to be banned for the rest of the season and that’s got to auger well for us. Well, Sperz’ve still got Harry Kane but ne’er, he may yet be injured or something, we can hope.

It’d be great if Rafa’d stay with us if we go down and Ashley must realise there’ll be one helluva fan backlash if he leaves. No matter whether it’s Rafa’s choice or not, Ashley’ll still be seen as not doing enough to keep him.

Come on Ashley, get a hand on the reins and do not let Charnley anywhere near any decisions that affect the Club’s future. I suspect though that the Club’s line’ll be that Championship financers wouldn’t stretch to keeping Rafa.

After that, we’ll be reported as being in for a raft of HC’s (Ashley won’t acknowledge that his model has been a disaster), Charnley’ll have his role redefined (back to being the Club’s Admin Assistant/ Refreshments Coordinator seems about right) and Carr’ll retire but be held on a retainer cum consultancy basis.

Any changes are likely to be cosmetic and the situation will remain as normal – all f****d up.

But, it’s imperative that fans get fully behind the Club and the players on the field to help get the nine points that could save us from the drop.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Tsunki, so replace Townsend with young callum roberts ffs. Use your nous. We have some cracking young players who will shine in the Championship and be better for it a season on. You might not know some of them coz they’re not often on the tv.

• lesh

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Bobby

It’ll be interesting to see what that paragon of impartially reporting fact, The Sun’ll have to say about the verdict – and the Liverpool fans they maligned.

• reilly

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Newcastle Spent just 38 days out of 262 out of the bottom 3. Highest position this season 15th. Been in the relegation zone since 13th of february.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Bang on lesh. Regardless of your feelings towards Ashley and Charnley, the players on the pitch are what matters for these last three games and it’s our DUTY as fans to get behind them 100%. As per Arsenal, we, the fans, can make a massive difference, not only by lifting our players but by scarring the living shyt out of theirs. Anybody at the Arsenal game will remember how the atmosphere built to a crescendo – dunno how it came across on the box – and Arsenal players couldn’t pass the ball quickly enough. They bottled it in the face of adversity. Funny thing is, after their fourth goal went in, their fans were chanting ‘where’s your famous atmosphere?’ Bet they wish they’d never stirred that particular hornets nest!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Can anyone else work out where that chest beating fit came from?

• Jib

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM

For a person to be guilty of murder they must have the intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) (This is the Mens Rea of Murder)
    Nobody for a minute accuses the police of the above.
    However it is interesting that other legal systems use the phrases 2nd and 3rd degree murder rather than manslaughter.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Lesh, won’t it just. The sad thing is, the Sun’s own brand of nasty vindictive reporting on the situation was swallowed up by the gullible and for years the fans were maligned as being to blame. The rag should’ve been closed down permanently and any reporter involved done for their libelous shyte. And the police are bound to get off with it on a personal level, because they always do. Over 2000 deaths in custody, many black and blue from head to foot and caught on cctv being kicked to death, but not one single prosecution. NOT ONE. Justice should be for all and nobody protected by law. Maybe instead of treating fans like animals, as we were for years, they should have done what they finally did – make going to the match a comfortable experience. Toilets broken for years, so you had to wade through inches of piss. Caged in like wild beasts and moved around like cattle, all because of a minority. Football grounds not fit for purpose and just used to fleece the fans. A very bleak period in our history indeed. HTL/YNWA

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Ibiza, if that’s aimed at me, it’s not surprising it comes from another individual who’s stepped foot inside a football ground. You’ll never get it. You’ve never been there, being beaten with batons for trying to escape with your life. You’ve never had to put up with it so you know nothing jon snow. I was. Others were. Then we had to listen for years how animal fans were to blame when we all knew the truth. We knew the truth because it so very nearly happened to us. Yes, I’m angry. Angry it took 27 years for the truth to come out whilst families had to listen to LIES about their loved ones. All match going fans should be as angry as i am, because for the grace of god, that could’ve been us. Going to games was a risky business back then. People like you will never get it. Risky, without those being paid overtime in uniforms contributing to the deaths of 96 innocent people. You weren’t there. Your never there, so pipe down eh? HTL/YNWA

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Jib marra, i know the law. It’s just words to protect the gulity when the guilty come from a certain section of society. I’m fully aware the best to hope for is Manslaughter, which contributes to my anger. I rememder being at Boro once, in the queue when a police horse stood on my foot. I shouted at him, ‘your horse is breaking my foot mate’, hoping he might move it. Instead he smirked at me and said, ‘yeah, i know it is.’ One animal sat on another.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Bobby…You really do love going off on one. It takes virtually nothing to set you off.

What did Tuff say to suggest that he wasn’t sympathetic? He clarified his understanding (I’ll call it that, as I’m not legal expert) of the legal terminology. Nothing less, nothing more.

Making that point has nothing to do with what you’re talking about.

I’ll pipe up when I see fit, Bobby. I guess I don’t need to be a ST holder to be able to post on here?

• willowdalerez

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Ed still dreaming that Rafa might stay if we drop. He won’t and all the speculation is just that, senseless talk. What we need is a win at home over Palace and for Leicester to do us a favour on Sunday at Old Trafford and clinch the title so Spurs have nothing to play for and sit some of their better players and throw in some youngsters against us in our final game. Hanging on by our fingers with only 3 games to Norwich and the Mackems 4 so another nail biting finish… Sigh, hope there is some mind being paid to who to get in as mgr and what players to bring in from the Championship if we do drop. Dreaming of survival I will be till the drop but mgmt should be doing some contingency planning.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM

@17, read has never stepped inside a football ground.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Bobby @21..I take on board your correction, although, it’s now become incorrect.

You really do need to stop getting information from marra Jib.

It’s SJP I’ve never been to. Nothing about seeing NUFC or being inside other football grounds.

But let’s not let that get in the way of you letting everyone know what a great fan you are, and what a terrible fan I am.

For what it’s worth, I get your anger at the situation. Just not towards Tuff and now me.

Our names showing up doesn’t automatically mean you need to go in to rant mode.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Who mentioned ST’s dick? Your lack of empathy does you proud pal. You armchair fans will never ever get it, because you’ve never lived it. Can’t you for one minute imagine the terror of a little boy, being crushed and alone? Those responsible need to be castigated and as it’ll never come from the likes of you, I’ll willingly do it. Yes I’m on one. All football fans should be because they were our brothers and sisters who never got justice. All match going fans have a bond you’ll never understand. It wouldn’t matter which fans died. Did you never see the pitch at anfield covered in scarves laid by rival clubs fans who took the time and effort to drive to liverpool to lay them? Or did you go with the Sun’s version of events? What happened was an absolute outrage against fans of all colours. Football isn’t just about finding the right stream to watch it on you know? For those fans not old enough to remember it, i suggest you take a history lesson and read up on it. For those who now enjoy a comfortable match day experience, just remember it was the blood of those poor innocent men, women and children who paid for it. To treat this shocking incident with blase throw away comments does NOBODY any credit. Why am I not surprised you’re one of them? Say what you like now, you’ve already made your position clear. Don’t even try to worm your way out of it like you always do. Go on, get out in that sun and melt a little bit more.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Well it seems you’re in full flow, Bobby, I’ll let you carry on.

Again, neither Tuff nor I have actually made a comment on what it is you’re talking about.

What was that about assuming things about people you don’t know, Bobby?

When or if you ever want to talk sensibly and reasonably, I will of course discuss the tragic events that took place and share my hope that real justice is given.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

It’s not your names, you numpty. Jesus christ, it’s your attitude. ‘Oh no, it wasn’t murder, it was only manslaughter blah blah. They were butchered and like i say, the law is always there to protect the guilty if they come from a certain section of society. A sweatshop owner who’s failure to protect his workers costs lives never faces prison, because as one of the elite, he’s protected by law. He might get a fine, but never go to jail. Likewise police officers responsible for killing 96 innocent people are also protected. Without the 2k deaths in custody being brought into it. By the way, i don’t get my information from jib, i get mine from living life. Been there. Nearly got crushed. Know what it’s like. Not very nice. Smug tosser. HTL/YNWA

• Average_Contents

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Ibiza

As innocuous as the conversation may be big balls goes off on one.

It happened the other day and previous to that.

There’s past form.

Aneurysm epicentre.

• Jib

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM

smug effete southern softy tosser – take your pick 😀

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM

AC…I’m truly at a loss to understand. I’ve said nothing about Hillsborough, just asked where the chest beating fit came from, which still hasn’t been answered.

Still, I’ve made my position clear apparently.

I am off. Play nicely with Bobby, he’s not doing too well.

• Tsunki

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Bobbybee @10 wow that reaction to my gallows humour really sums you up doesn’t it? What a priapic, headbutting forehead prodder you are! I think you need stronger analgesia if that’s how you rail on every giveaway comment you loudmouthed blagger. Try and tone it down instead of setting yourself up as the blog whirlpool dear oh dear do you bite. As for armchair fan who knows nothing of our lacklustre academy peppered with meagre talent, you have got the wrong person. Throw an ice pack on those veins before they explode.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM

AC…By the way, thanks for responding to my text message so quickly and coming on to back me up…phew 🙂

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Haha ibiza, trying as you always do to mitigate yourself. Save it for the gullible. Every fan should be as angry as i am that they got away with it for so long that some of those responsible have died since and escaped any justice at all. I am angry and with good cause. Wittering on about the injustice of the justice system that allows the guilty to walk away is blase and, if i might add, typical of those who’ve never experienced it. And you and tuff are right up there pal. Instead of taking me to task for expressing my outrage, you would be better of backing it, not trying to score pathetic points you will never score. HTL/YNWA

• Tsunki

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Duck everybody his eyeballs are coming this,way ha ha

😀

• nufconceandfuturekings

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:21 PM

15 April 1989 – 27 long years – Justice at last.
    You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Oh how typical. Another of the little gang comes together to support the other moron. Shame on the lot of you. Your not football fans if this injustice doesn’t rile you to death. It breaks my heart. Strange how all the non going fans clump together in attacking my anger isn’t it. You need to change your moniker you nob, because you are so below average it’s incalculable. You spleen should be vented at those who killed 96 fellow fans. Not me for being incensed it took this long for the truth to come out. Scum.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Nufconce and future kings. . Well said brother. Because we are all brothers and sisters as football fans. I have more respect for mackem match going fans than i have for some idiots on here. Never go. Call those who do ‘the problem’. Can’t even understand my anger at this outrage and treat it flippantly. What a bunch of tossers. HTL/YNWA

• reilly

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

ive found a crackin site for the footy.it works great on windows i dont know if it works on android or mac.give it a try for the cl game tonight.

enjoy

• martoon

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

JFA – Don’t take this the wrong way but you seem to have no comprehension of simple maths and logic.
    We were 1 point behind Norwich & equal with the makems so to get 17th place we needed to overcome a 1 point (2 assuming goal difference) lead. The makems got a draw so therefore we still have to overcome the same lead. To get 17th place we needed to get 2 more points than Norwich and now the makems. There is no right and wrong just different ways of looking at it!

• magscar

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Hillsborough was a calamity waiting to happen because of the antiquated stadiums and poor crowd control etc but what makes it worse is the cover up by the Establishment which has put the families of the 96 through repeated torture for 27 years. I wish I could believe that
    The Establishment has learnt the correct lessons from this but fear that they will only become more sophisticated in their attempts.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Martoon, it really is simple isn’t it? 🙂 There’s two changes. Now two teams have 31 points, not two. One or two, we still needed 32 to overtake them. The other big difference is sunlun now only have one game in hand over us and not two. Hence our odds for relegation were cut from 17/1 on, to 4/1 on. It’s fine to whine that if arsenal had won, but they didn’t. If sunlun had won we would now be chasing a four point reversal to stay up, not two. But hey, you, me, the others who get it, the bookies, are all wrong coz the little gang can never be wrong. HTL/YNWA

• bettyswallocks

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Martoon……. .You’re quite right the problem when you look at the table is that it can throw up many different configurations. I was trying to explain this to Tsunki but he can’t seem to grasp it either.

1 2 3 6