The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Club Still Favored To Survive The Drop

12:36 pm, Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Newcastle are coming into some good form under Rafa Benitez, but it seems that Sunderland remain the bookies favorite to be the team that survives the drop over Newcastle United and Norwich City.

And it seems from Alan Shearer’s comments in his Coral column today that he may also fancy Sunderland as the team that can stay up this season.

Alan Shearer +Emeralds+Ivy+Ball+Arrivals+xjLhBDsSJyPl

Alan Shearer – psychological boost for Sunderland

This is what Alan has said in his Coral column today:

“It’s been a good week for Newcastle.”

“First picking up a point against Manchester City in which it could have been all three and then they came from 2-0 down to draw with Liverpool at Anfield.”

“Sunderland also picked up a point against Arsenal.” “I was impressed with the way they performed in that game.

“They are now outside the bottom three which psychologically is a big boost for them.”

Of course Alan would just love for Newcastle to be safe this season and like any other Newcastle fan – he would look forward to how Rafa will change the fortunes of the team – very quickly we would think.

But it seems that most of the pundits and the bookies think Sunderland remain the favorites to stay up and they are currently 4th bottom and safe with four games to play.

Newcastle have three games to play and are currently second bottom – but a lot can change in three games of course.

Tags: Alan Shearer · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Press

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:40 PM

I’m waiting to see which way the Palace game goes before investing anything in the prediction game. It would be like us to play better than them and lose 3-0.

• 3 bettyswallocks // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Ibiza…… Can you get on and do it, I didn’t get where I am today by procrastinating like that.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Betty…As you asked so nicely, no.

• 5 bettyswallocks // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Tsunki. Having slept on it…I think that point Sunderland picked up against Arsenal is actually going to prove crucial at the end of the season. Have you had any more thoughts on it?

• 6 bettyswallocks // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Ibiza…… Do as you’re told.

• 7 martoon // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Ibiza, Betty – Did I miss something – has Jesper forsaken the blog too?

• 8 Ibizatoon // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Betty…It simply isn’t possible to do as all the voices tell me.

martoon…Yep. I’d say about a month or so ago. I saw you enquiring about BandB the other day. She had enough of the blog itself, but is still doing her thing for the NUFC cause as always.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM

We obviously need to win all three, that of which I am certain. If the mackems fail to win at the same time kick off as us we go out of the bottom three. We are relying on them to drop points twice.
    HWTL.

• 10 martoon // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Although Bobbybee was a bit over the top I think I understand the point he was trying to make. On Saturday to get into 4th bottom we needed to overtake Norwich on 31 points, now the makems are on 31 points nothing has changed we still need to get 2 more points than both of them to reach 4th bottom and survive. Of course this is a bit simplistic because it doesn’t allow for their games in hand!

• 11 martoon // Apr 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Ibiza – I knew about BandB but I must have missed Jesper. Pity because although I didn’t always agree with him he was a solid contributor to this blog.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Apr 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM

martoon,
    jesper didn’t like his idea of rotating captains being dismissed, he is lobbying the Danish sports minister as we speak to have the idea enforced on the National team. Once it is in place and Denmark win the WC beating England and Germany on the way, jesperfuslang-rotating captain of the lemon crew will return with a mighty I told you so!

previous post: Rafa´s Important Message To Newcastle Fans

next post: Can Newcastle Beat Crystal Palace On Saturday?