Benitez Seems Impressed With This Newcastle Youngster

Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez seems to like what he sees in 20 year-old Kevin Mbabu who is now fit again and was on on the bench at Liverpool.

When Kevin has played for the Newcastle first team – five times this season – he has looked good,  but he has again been injured most of the season.

But the fact that Rafa had him on the bench at Anfield when other more senior players were not, suggests Rafa can see the  potential in the Swiss U19 International.

kevin mbabu

Kevin Mbabu – Rafa seems to like him

This is what Rafa told BBC Radio Newcastle:

“With Mbabu coming back, that is good news. Gouffran is closer, so we have some players getting closer,”

“At least we have Mbabu, who is a defender and can help with the defender crisis.”

Mbabu picks up a lot of injuries and he’s been out since the beginning of the year with a thigh injury and while he was supposed to be out for around five weeks initially, it’s been much longer than that.

We wouldn’t be surprised if Mbabu sees some playing time in the last three games and if Newcastle survive the drop and Rafa stays then the Newcastle manager will want to give the 20 year-old an extension to the youngster’s contract – which runs out at the end of June.

Kevin is a versatile player and can play anywhere along the back four and has played in both full-back positions for the first team this season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• dok - the horrid colonial

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM

repost from previous:

JfA,

I just hope he chills out a bit, we all have our passions, but the blog denigrated to a state of ugliness ive not seen for a few years, it hurts, as this is one of the only ways of keep up with the brother and sisterhood of my extended toon family… I learn a lot, believe it or not, from all of you who are there, and it only serves to increase my own love and passion for this club…

on Saturday I went to a Liverpool pub my friend runs to watch the match, and of course, myself, my wife and lad were the only toon supporters there, but were made to feel more than welcome… needless to say, I was thrilled with the point, and one pool supporter, from Liverpool actually said how he has always respected our supporters, his words, ” you’ve been given so much shite the last 5-7 years, yet ive never met a one who chose to follow another club, and that passion is immense and that he hopes we stay up”

kind words I thought…
    sorry for the run-on…

• beefman13

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Mbabu, is definitely a player who can make it, hope Rafa sees it, he could be a real good player this kid, injuries are a big big problem though.

• Tsunki

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Ashley Out!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Good day blog,

Not overly excited about the return of Gouffran, but am keen to see Mbabu back in action.

Looked a promising player earlier in the season.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM

magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Dok

There was a brilliant drama/doc over here of Hillsborough in 90’s ? repeated a few years ago which I recorded but having watched it’s first showing have yet to watch again as it is harrowing if essential viewing.

Was also going to mention on my previous post that there was a very different culture surrounding football here back in the 70’s and 80’s in what had always been a predominantly working class male pursuit with few facilities. The growing hooligan culture was corrosive.

In USA sport seems to have been catered for more as a family outing – tailgate picnics, hotdog stands in stadium etc without boorish behavior in or outside and this no doubt contributes to the safety record.

Fortunately we are now in a different landscape over here in PL and Hillsborough, Bradford or Ibrox should never happen again in GB probably as a legacy of that awful day. I hope so.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Jail, whats a borg?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM

magscar…Do you remember who made the program?

Might be able to pull it up on YouTube.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Anyone waiting for Thauvin to come good could be waiting a long time, championship or not.

• Jib

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Dok
    Is right about the stadium safety record in the States but I do seem to remember a few end of season riots in towns (usually to do with college sides I think) where the cops have had to restore order.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Munster…On the face of it, I get what you’re saying on Thauvin, but given the improvement of the players under Rafa, I’m not sure we can write anyone off at this stage. Maybe Obertan 🙂

With proper coaching and tactics and therefore a functioning team, how do we know how Thauvin might do?

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:14 PM

ibiza, I aint forgiving Carr if thats what you’re after! 🙂
    I think Thauvin was an awfulpurchase – not needed, and not suited. Awful recent record in france before we got him, and he lacked both straight line pace, and physicality of any form. In fairness, I called it after the West Ham game about him, and was slagged for it, but to me his lack of pace ( assuming fit) was a real concern. Carr persisted with his own buying agenda, mainly via one agency and should have listened to what Pardew needed and wanted, and not went off on his own agenda of nimble wingers. We have been left behind in scouting terms by other clubs, but I would still trust some of his work, provided he was reporting to Rafa. In other words, when rafa says that we need a certain type of full back , he gets him ( and hopefully not a defensively frail bloke like Santon ) . He does have a network it seems, but concentrates on France too much. Spain will become a bigger pool to us under Rafa , if he stays. And no harm in that.

• G

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:15 PM

@10, I will believe it when I see it Ibiza, personally speaking, when I saw Thauvin play I saw somebody with no passion, no commitment, and no future for us. Rafa may see something in him, but I doubt it. For what it’s worth though, I hope you are right and the rest of us are wrong.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM

I dont think obertan was any worse that thauvin. Completely brainless is our Obie ( pardew sold a pup by his mate Fergie) but at least he can run fast ( forgets the ball though ) 🙂

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM

I was going to query how many blokes rafa has improved …but sissoko, lascelles, anita, tiote, yip he has lifted them.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM

jib,

yes, usually alcohol fueled but didn’t lead to the amount of deaths as in Hillsborough

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Munster,
    It’s what mad Booby’s been calling anyone who gives him or Jib shite.

• Ron Knee

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Has Benitez given Saivet a run out, or was it McClaren?

• magscar

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Ibiza

It was simply called “Hillsborough” and made by Granada TV scripted by Jimmy McGovern from various sources.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Munster…I’ve come to the conclusion he could unearth the next Messi and you still wouldn’t 🙂

I really wasn’t talking about scouting, or even really Thauvin himself, just that Rafa has got better out of a few of our players.

It’s a blank canvas as far as I am concerned.

G…Agreed, however, passion and commitment has been lacking all over the pitch, so I find it hard to just call out Thauvin on it.

From Lascalles comments, just before this resurgence, it is clear to see that the dressing room has been off.

Would that impact a young lad from France joining a new club, led by Tufty? For sure.

I knew little about Thauvin before he arrived and feel that is still the case.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Jail…Do you not think we should let it go?

Two parties constantly calling each other silly names is not going to improve a thing.

Even if people wanted to try and sort the issue, it wont be possible.

Yesterday was truly a mad affair.

Magscar…Thanks. Will take a look.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:33 PM

For those interested in the Hillsborough film Magscar was talking about…

Marked down for a watch.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Ibiza

That’s the one – on quick look it seems a little grainy now but was 20 years ago. Think it was reshown after the 2012 (?) report that prefaced the reopened inquests

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Magscar…I am “at work” so haven’t really taken a look yet. It’s bizarre to think 1996 was 20 years ago.

Feeling old at 30. Ridiculous.

Still, thanks for the recommendation. Not sure “I look forward to watching it” is the right thing to say, but I’m sure you get the point.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Ibiza,
    It’s gone 🙂

• toon kk

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Hillsborough was a terrible disaster, but things were different then. Hooliganism was rife those days along with pitch invasions. Hence the barriers. Anyone could pile in on match day, fighting was serious on match days so the police treat the public like animals. Sadly it took a disaster to realise the mistakes and clean up the game. All seated stadiums took over and better policing to keep home and away fans apart.
    Sadly 96 people lost their lives threw negligence and terrible decisions.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Alternative blog? Nah, ask Tuff.

What is the borg? Think I must have missed it.

Il be on later to reply, back to work for me.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Jail…phew

• Jib

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Toonkk by 1989 the hooliganism had been over for a decade
    Kelvin McKenzie getting some grief

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Will people stop asking what the borg is, it’s getting me in trouble with Ibiza.

• Munster Mag

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Ibiza you can cut it any way you want but carrs track record is not good. Over reliant on france. Over reliant on mondial ( i wonder if that was investigated what it might reveal?) , a lover of lightweight frenchmen. You can think all u like that rafa could have improved them, but that doesnt mean carr has done well. Not many fans would agree with your viewpoint. And as for remi garde, i wonder who suggested that useless manager. And who wud chumley have gone to for managerial choice advice? Carr of course. of course ashley is the overseer, but carr runs his iwn recruitment shop, independent of managers ( nice model Ash)

• lesh

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Magscar

If you want to see some of Jimmy Forsyth’s photos, hit the link I posted on the previous thread – near G’s qyestion

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Jail…Responding to questions is one thing, fanning the flame by constantly calling him “mad bobby”, which no matter your opinion, doesn’t help things.

Now go sit on the naughty step. Empty your pockets, you’ll be playing with nothing!

I actually don’t get the borg reference either, but am happy to remain out of the loop.

• lesh

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Dok

It takes at least two to have a ‘disciussion’.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Munster…With all due respect, I clearly said I wasn’t talking about Carr or his abilities, not any of his other purchases.

Just that what we’ve seen of players to date, shouldn’t be set in stone, as clearly Rafa has gotten more from players who we’ve all been slating and near on written off.

Nothing more, nothing less. I’ve no idea why you’ve gone back to all that.

Remi Garde? Christ almighty, give us a chance for sensible discussion Munster.

• lesh

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Dok

Experience has shown me that there’s a helluva lot of respect between the older Scouse Liverpool fans and Toon fans. It goes back a long way and has its roots in the way both cities have been treat with contempt by the state and its organs.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Jib

great link

• lesh

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Ibiza

I think Rafa referred to Gouffrsn’s near fitness as a ploy to put the frighteners into Pardew et al. Every little helps

• Ibizatoon

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Lesh…That’ll be it. The fear of Pardews secret weapon being used against him 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:26 PM

YMFB – what do you suggest someone asks me about an alternative blog?

• toon kk

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Jib
    A decade, really? I don’t think so. Not finished by 1979 the 80s were known for it.