The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Surprise That Benitez Rates This Newcastle Player So Highly

9:33 am, Wednesday, April 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Rafa Benitez had again been talking in glowing terms about French International midfielder Moussa Sissoko,  who he has made his Newcastle captain and if we survive this season and Rafa stays at the club – don´t be surprised if Moussa continues as captain next season.

It´s surprising, because Moussa never seemed to care too much this season or last season, but there´s no  doubt at all the 26 year-old has been revitalized and rejuvenated by Rafa Benitez’ arrival at Newcastle.

Moussa has been playing as well as he ever has on Tyneside – and in these vital times that´s just great to see.

Moussa+Sissoko+Liverpool+v+ adan lallana 004l

Moussa Sissoko challenges Adam Lallana on Saturday

Moussa is helping Rafa with the French players in getting his points across during games and also in training.

The Newcastle manager was asked about how he is finding communicating with the players, with so many French-speaking players in the squad:

“I need to practice my French.” “I learnt in school and I was quite good,  but so many years I was talking in English or Italian, and Spanish.”

“I talked to Mbemba earlier in French, sometimes I try to talk to him and I was trying to remember my French.”

“It’s quite difficult to do the job, because you need to communicate in different languages. There are things you have to tell the players.”

“You can do different things – you can use the video but you have to say something.”

“At half-time you have to explain things, little details very clearly, and can I do that in French?”

“No, it has to be in English but some of them cannot understand English, so how do you explain little things so they will understand?”

“Sissoko I think is really important,” “I was trying to explain some little things in training; little details to Mbemba and some others players in French and in English.”

“And afterwards Sissoko was helping me, telling them how you want them to do things and to do specific things like this.”

“He has been important both on and off the training field.”

“Sissoko is a good example for the other players.” “I was not choosing him as a captain because he was running a lot and that’s it, it was because how he was behaving himself in training sessions.

“He is someone who listens to you and works hard.”

“He is good with players and he is helping me with some French players. I can talk a little bit of French but obviously when you want to say something important, he can translate.”

“It’s good for the team to see someone who is working so hard in every training session and during the games, playing at this level.”

“Hopefully he can keep the level and the others can follow him.”

It´s obvious Moussa is being very helpful to Rafa and he appreciates the example Moussa is setting in training and also during games.

If we survive and Rafa stays, it´s hard to see the Spanish manager allowing one of his favorite players to leave the club.

But we will only know which league we will be playing in next season at 5:00 pm on 15th May after the home game ends against Tottenham.

And also we will know soon after that whether Rafa Benitez will still be with us next season – whichever league we are in.

Whether Rafa stays or goes will be massive for the Newcastle United club.

If he stays, whether we are relegated or not, Newcastle could be a top team in England in a short two or three years.

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I wonder if that’s why Shelvey hasn’t been starting so Rafa doesn’t have to actually take the captaincy from him. Also, I wonder if Townsend is playing himself into Euro contention.

• 2 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM

No wonder we so often look disorganised our team can’t talk to each other

• 3 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Jail
    Too late for Townsend to get into the England squad I imagine but he has been playing brilliantly since he got fit

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM

WW…,
    There you have it, we’ve been shite for the last five years because McCarvew couldn’t speak French.

• 5 barkel // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:46 AM

JFA-

I wouldn’t think that’s why Shelvey was benched, I would imagine it’s more to do with Tiote getting back into a bit of form. I see Shelvey as a much more creative player and we needed solidarity in the middle instead.

As for Andros I think it’s a little too late for him to make the Euro squad, he has been in great form for us don’t get me wrong but I think practically missing the first half of the season took him out of the picture

• 6 spaghetti bandit // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Sissoko is actually 14th in premier league chance makers this season on 56 ahead of both alli and mahrez,, a was as shocked as any but maybe his assist column is always low coz we havent had a striker consistently finishing since cisse first season.. Think payet was top with over 100 and there was only another player to break th hundred chance mark so far but a can’treremember al hunt th list out

• 7 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Jail
    Not sure how a team can function at its best without communication being clear

• 8 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Damn the blog has been a terrible read these past few days like. Why is it always this blog where something controversial is said? Rumor has it that the blog may be ending and now it’s dying a slow death. ‘butchered’ if you will… Such a shame.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 9:58 AM

WW…,
    Another masterplan by the three stooges. Not only shall the defence be threadbare but if they can’t communicate with each other they won’t be able to find out how much each other earns.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Blame the borg hunter!

• 11 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM

There you go Belfast, just for you I brought Rob Vollans back. And at just the right time too. Don’t mention it.

• 12 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Jail
    Makes sense in a sadistic way. Personally I’d make it a contract stipulation that players must learn English

What’s the Borg references in relation too? I mean as much of a Star Trek fan as I am the connection is lost on me

• 13 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM

So that’s been the problem all along? Some of the players not getting their acts together because they are still struggling with communicating in basic English! I suppose that explains Shelvey…

• 14 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Yo- apparently there is a collective group who are assimilated into the same ” intelligence” and think and act as one. I just can’t get which side they are on.

• 15 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Nice to see that Richard Keys has throw the entire weight of his mighty punditry behind the mackems and isn’t a fan of Rafa.

All respect must be due to the expert who now plies his trade in the ideal place for his unique and outstanding talent.

Misogyny.

• 16 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Tsunki

You’ve hit the nail on the head and one would’ve thought that having at least some English was an important item on the player recruitment check list. But oh no, not with us. Carr must assume that managers are multi-lingual as well as telepathic.

• 17 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Has Bobby been on today yet? I hope the blood pressure has subsided dear oh dear I bet he’s hard to live with on a morning!

I hope he doesn’t get hold of any more tragic injustices or he’ll be getting the flamethrower out.

• 18 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Just sitting here waiting for the cheeky bugger Burnley to suggest an alternative blog.

• 19 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Lesh , I always assumed that – don’t laugh I really did – a remit of the modern migrating players job was to learn the lingua franca as a basic necessity. 😐

• 20 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM

lesh

I had the same experience trying to get Little Walter’s autograph. One enterprising bluesman used to have an ink stamp with his name on it.

• 21 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Tsunki

• 22 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Tsunki

Bobby was in good fettle last night – no arguing, just chat about err, football and music.

Nobody being argumentative so it was all good.

• 23 NoahJ // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I’m encouraged when Benitez makes statements regarding the long-term futures of current players- it suggests he’s thinking beyond the end of the season (hopefully with us!)

previous post: Benitez Trying To Use These Top Two Players Effectively